Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I am absolutely awful at fighting in Vesperia. Barely managed to defeat the first boss on my second try, and rats are a stun locking PITA (I guess I have to work on my blocking). Is there a point to jumping?

I wanted to play with the Japanese dub, but there was a lot of dialog during the boss battle, and no subtitles.

The combat in Vesperia is dire until like 2/3rds through because extremely basic things that make combos flow and let you move smoothly in combat are gated to late in the game or require tremendous point investments because you're totally gonna new game plus this, right?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah vesperia's combat progression is the worst in the series. even when it starts getting good it still just feels like a worse version of a game like tales of rebirth so i don't really know why it makes the choices it does

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
got etrian 3 on this steam sale, the mapping controls on pad take a while to get use to, but work great with a mouse, in fact the whole game could integrate the mouse more

Barudak posted:

The combat in Vesperia is dire until like 2/3rds through because extremely basic things that make combos flow and let you move smoothly in combat are gated to late in the game or require tremendous point investments because you're totally gonna new game plus this, right?????

I quit the game when you do a story fight where Yuri has to fight a bunch of mobs and you get stunlocked to hell

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Barudak posted:

Having replayed it fairly recently this is a pretty severe exaggeration. I'd say you get all of the absolutely essential combat mechanics by halfway through Act 1 or so and the stuff unlocked afterwards improves the flow but isn't essential. I do agree that the very early combat is kinda dire though, seriously why the gently caress is goddamn Backstep not a default ability?

Edit: I do admit I'm kinda biased in Vesperias favor because the way you learn skills from new weapons greatly pleases the FF9 fanboy in me.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 27, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the learning abilities from weapons is the entire reason why vesperia's combat sucks because there's a ton of random crucial gameplay features you can just not learn or have to sit with the same weapon on for 50+ fights to learn

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tales is like the series where I love playing but I always feel like I don't understand the combat mechanics.
I just seem to runout of resources to do artes, then I see videos online of people doing freaking 100 move combos.

Also aren't the controls in Vesparia weird in combat? I forgot but I remember always having misinput due to how the camera controls + artes work.
Patty is one of the best characters in the series though, some of the most unique combos as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

the learning abilities from weapons is the entire reason why vesperia's combat sucks because there's a ton of random crucial gameplay features you can just not learn or have to sit with the same weapon on for 50+ fights to learn

Much like you can get Barudak to give a game free points by giving it a base that progresses over time, my free point category is gaining permanent upgrades from equipment. It's probably because FF9 was the first JRPG I REALLY got into and it set my tastes in stone. Anything where you can equip a thing and then you get a little bar that fills up that gets you something from it just automatically feels great to me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh FF9 was my first “real” JRPG and I adore it, but it’s hard to really unilaterally enjoy the concept of “learn move from weapon” when something like, say Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced/A2 shows why it worked so well in 9 and it feels like dubiously implemented jank in those. Funnily enough, I think Tales of Graces hits that same feel that FF9 does with the constant “bar go up” feedback loop. It even does the part where a lot of titles give the same artes so it’s hard to miss out, like FF9 did. God Tales of Graces was great, thank gently caress my PS3 still works.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I think it takes at least 1/3 of the game in most tales games to get the combat system.
just need to spam that demon fang for a bit till everything clicks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Barudak posted:

Lmao the Seign chapter is dogshit

Pro tip, whenever the game forces you to become Seign for your own sanity make sure the fast running item is in your inventory alongside your best healing items and ideally some rank 6 damage items from the guild quests cause after a brutal dungeon you've got to do 4 loving bossfights in a row. I swear I was laughing from madness and the fights all are tedious and suck.

I actually quite liked this, but only I guess due to the rush of playing right on the edge of death for 30 minutes. I ran out of MP and healing items in boss fight 1 so the rest of it was pretty intense!

Ivy might be the worst character yet, she was literally hitting for like 1 damage at times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
two and a half hours into giftopia and i am gonna say it is absolutely worse than chulip. what on earth is this game's thing with having the slowest opening in the world. two hours into moon or chulip and you were already getting a few levels to free up your ability to explore, two hours into giftopia and you are only just getting the mechanic that lets you level up explained to you and it doesn't even give you a level for the first wish you grant so i have no idea how many i'm going to have to do in order to be able to explore for more than like eight minutes at a time. there's things i like about this game but i've been stuck in the same zone for an agonizing amount of time because unlike moon where you can eat food to extend the timer and have no health to worry about, and unlike chulip where you have no timer and only have an hp meter you can restore with food, giftopia hard locks the timer based on your level and gives you a constantly draining hunger meter so you're constantly on two oppressively strict timers you can't do anything about

GateOfD posted:

I think it takes at least 1/3 of the game in most tales games to get the combat system.
just need to spam that demon fang for a bit till everything clicks.

demon fang is only that useful in like three games

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 27, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What about double demon fang

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What about double demon fang

It was pretty good in Arise since the shockwaves and sword swings are different hitboxes. It is pretty funny to me that a move called Majinken/Demon God’s Sword/Fist is the piddly starter move you’ll hardly ever touch and not the penultimate mid-lategame move you’d expect.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
(sparking like I'm in a saga game) if I enjoyed berseria but fell off of it because I kept losing at boss fights and didn't want to grind, I should play it at a lower difficulty level

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yea but also the games kinda balanced around the mid battle swapping so do that more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

It was pretty good in Arise since the shockwaves and sword swings are different hitboxes. It is pretty funny to me that a move called Majinken/Demon God’s Sword/Fist is the piddly starter move you’ll hardly ever touch and not the penultimate mid-lategame move you’d expect.
This led to the very funny situation in zestiria where they wanted to use an arte that's so emblematic of the series that it's instantly recognizable as the big super move and used..... beast?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be like if they made a street fighter game where ryu defeated the villain with his most iconic move: the donkey kick

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gd the dungeons in eiyuden are a bit too stretched out for my taste

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yea but also the games kinda balanced around the mid battle swapping so do that more

oh how does this work. I did kinda suspect I was bad at the game but wasn’t sure. what’s the reason to swap people in beyond someone getting their rear end kicked?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it restores lost SG meter

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Can someone help me out here, this is like the first circuit board puzzle in the game and it seems to be completely impossible

Edit: The blue routers aren't conductive

67 and still making love fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 27, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

67 and still making love posted:

Can someone help me out here, this is like the first circuit board puzzle in the game and it seems to be completely impossible

Can you turn any block?

If so turn the block one down and one right from the red dot and then one right and one down from the topmost blue router. (If I'm understanding the mechanics right and you're trying to link the two red dots.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it restores lost SG meter

ah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
those circuit board puzzles have to be the weirdest part of the system shock remake. why did they settle on something so weirdly confusing that it has the potential to leave players stumped for so long

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

ImpAtom posted:

Can you turn any block?

If so turn the block one down and one right from the red dot and then one right and one down from the topmost blue router. (If I'm understanding the mechanics right and you're trying to link the two red dots.)

Like this? If the blue routers were conductive this wouldn't be a problem, but all they do is rotate the adjacent squares, it's the only way to rotate the yollow squares, but the greens rotate freely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

67 and still making love posted:

Like this? If the blue routers were conductive this wouldn't be a problem, but all they do is rotate the adjacent squares, it's the only way to rotate the yollow squares, but the greens rotate freely

hint: send it down the yellow panel path you've opened and turn left at the corner at the bottom

full spoiler: send the current down the yellow panel path you've made. have it turn left at the first corner near the bottom and loop back to the right under it and use the corners to snake it up through to the end

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

The Colonel posted:

hint: send it down the yellow panel path you've opened and turn left at the corner at the bottom

full spoiler: send the current down the yellow panel path you've made. have it turn left at the first corner near the bottom and loop back to the right under it and use the corners to snake it up through to the end

*respectfully smooches you*

I love the way the panel instantly closes up so you don't get a chance to review the solution if you solve it by a fluke

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, I was just excited for whatever the fast travel updates actually meant. This is already huge, even if it does feel way more dramatic than necessary (He said cynically having beaten the game 15 times already)

Not shown:
-the pipes being unlocked by the map suggesting it's based on story progression.

-a pipe that connects this room and Rougeport Plaza

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
connecting it to rogueport plaza is the most important thing here. i dont mind the existing warp pipe room in the original but, i do mind that reaching it requires walking through like five rooms every time you want to access it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not shown:
-the pipes being unlocked by the map suggesting it's based on story progression.

Was really hoping this would mean you could use the map to teleport yourself to places. I'm a little disappointed it's not a Blues Clues/Mario 64 thing like that.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Quackles posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioRPGCentral/status/1783525804401451339

It looks like the upcoming Paper Mario TTYD remake will have battle themes by area, a la Origami King.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not shown:

Haven't really followed TTYD remake since it's one of those game I knew I was getting when it got announced but everything about this is looking great, getting some :hai: vibes from those blocks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finally hit my first level up in giftopia. i really hope they don't all take as long as the first one does but uh. they probably do considering unlike moon, where levels are tied to catches and catches are just short puzzles and rewards for solving larger sidequests, and chulip where progression is tied to kisses, giftopia ties progression to granting wishes. but you don't grant wishes by just granting the wish. giftopia has an economy where your initial and longstanding goal across the game is to pay back your debt to society and one of the steadiest ways to do that is to find and sell valuable items at the store, but you can also donate items to the local shrine, which is how you get wish stones, which are what allow you to grant wishes. if you don't have a wish stone you are unable to start any sidequests attached to them, which means you can't gain levels. i don't know why giftopia has chosen to make this process so much more laborious since the main point seems to be contrasting the societal idea of growing up, hollow ideas of fitting into societal expectations and dedicating your life to making money, with "actual" growth, but the way you grow as a person works in basically the same vein and is actually more annoying to deal with lol

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Went back to my year old Vesperia save and I've already had enough of this Zagi guy

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just finished Tsunanori's story in Emerald Beyond. very funny how abrupt that ending is, but I suppose it may tie into other stories??

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm proud of him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

May I one day learn the same.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh is that what I have to do

Huh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Colonel posted:

connecting it to rogueport plaza is the most important thing here. i dont mind the existing warp pipe room in the original but, i do mind that reaching it requires walking through like five rooms every time you want to access it

Also the pipe is available when first accessing that room instead of having to wait til later. There's a switch you can bonk and it shows up ASAP.