Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Still not high level enough to tell the difference between characters in Eiyuden yet other than attack type.
So far recruited, a magical girl, guy in pink, a cool healer, a samurai, and archer
so I have Magical Girl, Healer, and Archer in the back, and Nowa, guy in pink, and samurai.

put the martial artist girl and wolfguy as attendant, not sure what that means, but they were able to be placed there and not the others, so wanted to fill my slots.

Find of refreshing to go to the overworld map and its "go to this town" "go to this cave" and not be distracted by digging spots, scan this tower, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Still not high level enough to tell the difference between characters in Eiyuden yet other than attack type.
So far recruited, a magical girl, guy in pink, a cool healer, a samurai, and archer
so I have Magical Girl, Healer, and Archer in the back, and Nowa, guy in pink, and samurai.

put the martial artist girl and wolfguy as attendant, not sure what that means, but they were able to be placed there and not the others, so wanted to fill my slots.

Find of refreshing to go to the overworld map and its "go to this town" "go to this cave" and not be distracted by digging spots, scan this tower, etc

Attendant slots are for characters that are mandatory for current plot events in case you don't want to use them in the active party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attendant is slots for characters the game makes you have with you for story reasons but you dont want them in your active party. Once that part of the story passed they'll get booted out of attendant slots and lose the ability to be an attendant unless the plot requires them again. Theres no mechanical benefit to filling attendant slots, nor can you for stretches of the game.

It should be noted eventually they give you so many mandatory characters that at least one of them will have to be in your active party, there just aren't enough attendant slots.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Tequila Bob posted:

Infinite is awful. "See, the oppressed minorities are actually just as monstrous as the oppressors!" Booker writes off Daisy because he's a racist, and then the game validates his viewpoint by showing her almost murdering a kid for no reason.

I could say something like "the game is fun though" but there are other games which are also fun and not racist.

the gameplay was interesting enough to keep me moving forward up until the point where you come across a bunch of abandoned luggage and smashed boutique storefronts with Elizabeth and the game spends more time mourning broken glass and toppled boxes than on any previous scene of actual people suffering from discrimination

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

the fact that a bunch of people acted like bioshock infinite was really deep is one of the most embarrassing parts of the 2010s

If you build enough hype people won't bother forming their own opinion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm morbidly curious about judas because it's been so long since ken levine released a game and bioshock as a series just like. isn't much more than a 7th gen curiosity anymore. and it doesn't sound like ken levine has revised any of his more questionable development practices since then

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think Ken Levine has become a better person in the interim no

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you mean the first one in Chapter 3 the devs clearly also think so as there is a hidden way to just COMPLETELY skip the chapter (though you'll need to go back for the document at some point) by heading up to the top right of the map.

Goddamn I wish I had known this yesterday before I spent my entire afternoon getting past the map. Its infuriating because once you know what to do the map is actually quite easy but it takes a LOT of trial and error to get there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

I dont think Ken Levine has become a better person in the interim no

well even beyond his moral character he just sounds insanely self sabotaging to any project he leads lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to know if judas actually is ken levine landing his perfect dream vision of what the game should be. or 2k finally got sick of giving him 10 years of carte blanche and realized that giving that time to ken levine will not, in fact, equal their ultimate money maker

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

2K owns Borderlands now, they can just let that team put out a game like clockwork and they could just fire Ken Levine imo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i want to know if judas actually is ken levine landing his perfect dream vision of what the game should be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now, comparing anyone to Max Landis is a low blow.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, comparing anyone to Max Landis is a low blow.

In fairness it’s a good comparison in all but one very crucial respect.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

how much does it affect if i wanna be rude and sarcastic in my responses in Eiyuden

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I’ll grit my teeth, and deal with it

E:i think there’s even xp cheats if that does prove an issue

Yeah I shamelessly cheated when emulating Xenoblade X

Emulated Xenoblade X is definitely one of the prettiest open world games that exists.

Endorph posted:

the fact that a bunch of people acted like bioshock infinite was really deep is one of the most embarrassing parts of the 2010s

I thought that the reception to the story was pretty negative/mediocre even when it came out?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 29, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*sigh* someone post the CliffyB tweet

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I thought that the reception to the story was pretty negative/mediocre even when it came out?

No, that came around about 4 months after the fact when people started thinking about what your actual options for responding against any of the racism presented to you were.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Should I play Unicorn Overlord or Eiyuden first. I've already bought both of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Should I play Unicorn Overlord or Eiyuden first. I've already bought both of them.

SaGa: Emerald Beyond.

(Start with UO, will give you time for Eiyuden to get patches for the stuff that seems to be bugging people.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Danger posted:

Unicorn Overlord just got its patch that fixed all the translation mistakes in the tooltips and smoothed out some balancing issues so I'd say go for that personally.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what a bummer, I have to go back to town to equip runes in Eiyuden?
So after gaining a bunch of levels in this rather long mine, I can't even make use of the new slots I unlocked for the upcoming boss fight.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RareAcumen posted:

No, that came around about 4 months after the fact when people started thinking about what your actual options for responding against any of the racism presented to you were.
Yeah this, there's a long compilation here where you can see the evolution from universal launch praise to :thonk: in the following months

https://www.critical-distance.com/2019/02/06/bioshock-infinite/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was a bit of pushback on infinite at launch but it was definitely not the majority position

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Old Town Hishan boss was cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was against the game as soon as I found out they reduced the weapon count from like 8 to 2 at a time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Ghost Mom fight was so bad in Infinite it's one of the few things I still clearly remember of it lol.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Tequila Bob posted:

Infinite is awful. "See, the oppressed minorities are actually just as monstrous as the oppressors!" Booker writes off Daisy because he's a racist, and then the game validates his viewpoint by showing her almost murdering a kid for no reason.

That's not the story of Bioshock Infinite. The story of Bioshock Infinite was "Stop making me make Bioshock sequels, they're the exact same cookie cutter formula every time." Like, the subtext fully becomes text at the end of the game. "There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man" and all that. That's the point behind the genre-shifted licensed songs (recycling old media by slightly changing the context), and all the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead references* are meant to clue you in that the surface plot is meant to be ignored in favor of a pretentious metatextual treatise. Killing Booker to break the cycle of whatever-the-gently caress was symbolically killing the player to end the cycle of Bioshock sequels. gently caress, it's even in the title, Bioshock Infinite, you know, as in "we can recycle this premise endlessly and the differences will only ever be aesthetic". It's pretty hamfisted and the DLC completely undermines it, but I'm consistently shocked at how few people picked up on any of this.

Hell, that's even why the "plot" is "Weird political ideology gets an isolated city to itself where everything goes to poo poo, but people representing the opposite ideology are also bad because reasons, lighthouse, man, midgame diversion with a crazy person who gives tasks remotely in exchange for a macguffin and you later can kill them, etc.", it's a total paint-by-numbers retread of the previous two titles, to an uncanny degree.

Like, don't get me wrong, the game was pretty bland and while the "political messages" were basically intended to be pointless, they still handled them in a very sloppy manner (Vox Populi were clearly meant to be a Workers' Union and the bad stuff they did was a "dark side of unions" thing but they wound up letting it get wrapped up in the game's racial themes so the whole thing came off as pretty gross). It's in no way a great game. But, credit where it's due, they didn't keep making Bioshock sequels, so they at least practiced what they were preaching.

*Most telling is the coin flip at the beginning of the game. Compare this scene from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. This scene is what leads the pair to conclude that their lives are no longer being governed by random chance, but rather by the dictates of some outside force (in other words, they become aware that they're characters in a story, and their coming to grips with this is one of the primary themes of the play). Hamlet plays out around them, but is unimportant and superficial, with the important stuff being their discussions about destiny, physics, death, etc. So the coin flip in Bioshock Infinite is Ken Levine signaling to the player that Colombia and everything happening in it, it's just a thing that's happening as a backdrop for the stuff he actually considers important.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what we know of the game’s development completely undermines this bunk-rear end meta fictional reading, to say nothing of how bioshock itself is just as derivative of system shock

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

how can one man have his life figured out this loving much

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

playing some FF5. went into the gil cave to fill out my bestiary. lol gently caress fighting the gil turtle more than once. only got through with krile hitting blizzagas while lenna kept up golem to deal with the counters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I promise to go back in time and drown the man responsible for introducing the concept of 'metacommentary' to the world so all these paragraphs of text about games struggling to be a 6/10 will never happen.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Oxxidation posted:

what we know of the game’s development completely undermines this bunk-rear end meta fictional reading, to say nothing of how bioshock itself is just as derivative of system shock

So, all those things I specifically pointed out, they just got into the game by accident? Because they're not exactly vague. Multiple explicit references to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, pretty much the entire game being about old things being reused and repetitive cycles, all of that, a complete coincidence? I don't really pay attention to social media, so I don't know much about "what we know of the game's development", but I played the game, and having all of that unsubtle allegory show up just by pure happenstance would be one hell of a statistical anomaly.

Also I almost forgot what I came to the thread to post about today, that being how Eiyuden really captures the spirit of Suikoden by bringing the fun to an absolute screeching halt with one of the worst minigames ever created. These goddamn boat races have controls that make Superman 64 look halfway decent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Bioshock Infinite was also the only Bioshock sequel Ken Levine made, Bioshock 2 was by 2K Marin and did not involve him in any way. So the idea that Ken felt fatigue over his series is extremely funny and, if true, only continues to make him look worse much like every other further development about him that's ever come out. The man's not Miyazaki in the poison swamp factory, but unlike Levine also Miyazaki loves working in his poison swamp factory and is incredibly clear-eyed about his work and his strengths.

E: Ironically Bioshock 2 is the best written game in the series because Ken Levine's personal Libertarian politics makes him blind to the actual messages of his stories. That he also sabotages his own projects and treats his employees terribly indicates that he does not have a self-reflective bone in his body.

The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern reading is very clever though, much more than Bioshock Infinite deserves, so kudos to that.

Wonder if there was a writer at 2k quietly begging for help. Considering they were working for Ken Levine, it's entirely possible.

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 29, 2024

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

EclecticTastes posted:

So, all those things I specifically pointed out, they just got into the game by accident? Because they're not exactly vague. Multiple explicit references to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, pretty much the entire game being about old things being reused and repetitive cycles, all of that, a complete coincidence? I don't really pay attention to social media, so I don't know much about "what we know of the game's development", but I played the game, and having all of that unsubtle allegory show up just by pure happenstance would be one hell of a statistical anomaly.

they're there deliberately, they just aren't there as Ken Levine begging the player to let him make something new, it's more facile themes like "history repeats itself" and "power inevitably corrupts" and "sometimes people can change and sometimes they can't"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

The Chairman posted:

they're there deliberately, they just aren't there as Ken Levine begging the player to let him make something new, it's more facile themes like "history repeats itself" and "power inevitably corrupts" and "sometimes people can change and sometimes they can't"

Provocative stuff, truly

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the second Dark Souls game Miyazaki worked on was, itself, an elaborate plea to let Dark Souls die and quit making sequels.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Looper posted:

how can one man have his life figured out this loving much

gonna tweet that to richard dawkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if levine felt fatigue over infinite it might have been helped by him not regularly throwing out months of work because of constant rewrites/not knowing what he wanted. game could have come out years sooner if he didnt suck at his job.