Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The course of RPGs these days is driving me insane.

The western RPGs seem to be hemorrhaging game mechanics. Somewhere along the line they decided to hide all numbers from the player. Skills become bars that fill up, and spells never tell you the damage equations (Dragon age, I'm looking at you). Even when they do let you see some numbers, there's rarely a way to see what the numbers actually mean (Dragon Age, I'm still looking at you). I liked going through all the spells in BG2 and figuring out the most rear end in a top hat way to frontload damage. One of my fondest RPG memories is killing Demogorgon during his intro dialog after thirteen failed attempts at killing him the normal way. Playing with the mechanics is the draw for me (in addition to, y'know, story and setting and stuff), but all the western RPGs seem to be drifting towards action games with the rpg mechanics, just as shooters are inexplicably gaining rpg-smelling features. In a bizarre twist of cosmic irony everything is turning into Deus Ex. I mean, there's worse equilibrium points to head towards, but still.

At the same time, while Japanese RPGs are carrying the mathhammer torch, they're also still doing the thing that made me hate them in the first place. I'm so tired of the plucky, androgynous protagonist, the pensive female who periodically turns away from whoever's speaking to her and clasps her hands and says "...", of people pointlessly repeating poo poo and stating the obvious (and RPGs aren't the only games doi-A BLUE RUPEE IS WORTH FIVE RUPEES). I loved FF12 because it took the parts of the FF combat system I liked, removed the mechanics I hated (eg random battles), and had a story that was all political intrigue and no power of friendship bullshit. As an added bonus the plucky androgynous protagonist was openly mocked and scorned by the rest of the party. Yet I constantly see folks talking about how much they hated it.

If someone has recommendations to make I'd love to hear them, but mostly I'm just here to complain.

edit: I've played all the Bioware, Black Isle, Obsidian, Troika, and Bethesda. I loved the poo poo out of Chrono Trigger and enjoyed Disgaea, so it's not like anything remotely anime gives me the runs. Help a curmudgeonly soul. :smith:

AngryBooch posted:

Play a talky charismatic person with a ton of followers you equip with lightweight melee weapons. Or just put a few points in magic and the harm spell and win the game.

I'm not totally sure what I did or if another party member had some kind of haste spell that he never cast on me, but after I gave the lizard dude the best bow I could find he killed poo poo with incredibly speed. Like, I seriously think it might be bugged.

Also, in real time mode some firearms are bugged and will let you fire as fast as you can click.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speaking of which, Blue Footed Booby, the new Space Marines game was gonna be an TPS actionrpg

but instead, they did away with all the customizing they planned on from the start and said "it would deter from what they're trying to make".

But if it's just a straight up TPS then it's simply going to be a Gears of War clone. Didn't they learn anything from DOW2 that the best loving part was customizing your characters? How else can you be placed in the shoes of a space marine, where each individual, each chapter is unique from each other and not be able to customize everything about yourself?

It's pretty stupid and I hate it.

Stalker was originally going to be a full-on RPG, with skills and even mandatory eating. There are so goddamn many examples where I was all :swoon: and then the devs turned it into an action game with minor RPG elements.

Long ago, there was Alex Denton. *Know* that he made the Pronouncement of One Genre.

Thuryl posted:

I found the new King's Bounty games scratched my min-maxing itch pretty well. Nearly all the mechanics are made visible to you, and there's a lot of scope for breaking the game in various ways.

What I've seen reads like Heros of M & M. Is that on the right track?

Also, is it German? Because Two Worlds made me want to die, and Gothik 2 somehow manages to make me nauseous in like fifteen minutes. I've become Germaphobic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thuryl posted:

Yes and no. The combat is like HOMM, but outside of combat you play as a single hero and go around doing quests and so on. It's actually a pretty faithful spiritual successor to the original King's Bounty, which was a spiritual predecessor to the HOMM series.

Also, it's Russian. The translation isn't perfect but it has its own charm.

I'm sold. If "isn't perfect" turns out to mean "sucks rear end" I'll kill myself and haunt you.

Dreylad posted:

Seven pages and I haven't seen (or skimmed over a post containing) any mention of The Witcher. For shame.

The Witcher rules, it's an actiony-RPG but with a ton of detail put into the world. Made by Polish developers who deserve your money, the sequel looks incredible.

Yeah, Witcher was quite good. The thing that pissed me off, though, was that it took the morally gray thing a little too far. At times it felt less like "I'm doing the best I can in an indifferent world" than "literally everyone is a dick; just do whatever." Then the ending concluded with basically the world was a better place, but then it went back to normal. It's possible to make difficult, morally ambiguous choices that don't devolve into an endless chain of haha, the person you saved turned out to be just as much an rear end in a top hat as the dude you saved him from. At the very least I should have had the option to kill that loving witch after she started ruining the lives of people in yet another town, this time with evidence she did so knowingly.

It won't stop me from playing the sequel, but it might stop me from playing it twice.

poo poo, I'd give them money just for how good they've been to their fans, what with releasing the enhanced edition addons and un-censoring mod for free.

VVV It was kind of boring, but the worst? Not even close. It only sucked if you didn't understand that you were supposed to time your clicks rather than just spamming. Only issue I had was the incredibly annoying stunlocks combined with the unreasonably large hitboxes on flames, but you get scary good at dealing with that. You only have to die three million times in the Beast fight. :v:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 6, 2010