Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tae posted:

Tried the demo, too many lacking QoL is probably going to turn me off from it. It felt tedious to even see which characters can change class, can't move units with a shortcut, etc. Like a lot of things solved decades ago by ogre battle 64 even.

I think I'm in this boat. I'm liking what I've played so far but it's a bit clunky to navigate through the menus; a bit tedious organizing my army and figuring out how I want to set things up. Add in that the character writing isn't great.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how active they are in patching/updating it, because I like the premise and it feels like it's not too far off from something I could really love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Einander posted:

I expect I'll finish it simply because it's Suikoden-adjacent, but man, this is a bummer. I wish it was better.

You basically summed up my experience. Definitely getting bored with the story's complete lack of stakes.

Taear posted:

My biggest Eiyuden question is this - why can I go to the resource places and talk to the people and it zooms in as though it's interactable. Then I just get talk and end. What is meant to happen here, how do I collect my resources? Do they go to the resource bin automatically? If they do why zoom in and act like it's some sort of interactable thing? Just really confused by it.

The resources are getting collected in the background, you don't need to do anything. The zoom in is presumably so you can get a better look at your farm or whatever. Don't know why you would ever look at it more than once, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

While the main plot is kinda whatever I'm surprisingly enjoying the character writing. Perielle owns and should've been the main character.

Yeah I like the characters for the most part, and I know people were complaining about the voice acting but aside from a few exceptions I've thought most of the performances are pretty good.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

If I'm going to criticize anything about the combat, it's the unite attacks being completely useless. My characters can team up and expend all of their SP, or they can just attack separately and do twice as much damage.

The exception is the one healer combo which heals everybody for 200+ health. Whoever balanced this game was drunk.

Paperhouse posted:

I also miss multi hits, I think they do exist but can't work out what determines them? Lian sometimes seems to get a 3 hit combo, but Mio who has insane speed/Dex only ever hits once. I thought that her lovely str stat would be offset by multi hits or crits, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Her speed makes her a really good healer though

Characters attack a number of times based on their weapon strength. Mio has a strong weapon, she swings once. Lian has a medium weapon at half that strength, she swings twice. Sabine has a weak weapon one-third the strength of a strong weapon, so she swings three times. Everyone's weapons are at one of those three levels.

Attributes aren't explained anywhere, but Dex seems to function as an accuracy stat, and I would presume that Luck affects crit chance.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Taear posted:

Jr/Sr was strong for me for a short time. Like for one boss battle it did more damage than they did combined, usually because it had a very high crit chance.
Also where are you getting that weapon strength thing from? The S/M/L thing is range not strength if that's what you're looking at.

What's really funny is Lian and Nowa are both M range but Jr/Sr is short range so it will only work if one of them is in the front row. The game doesn't tell you this anywhere.

Nah not talking about the range. Check the weapon strength values when you upgrade weapons at the smith. This value corresponds to the number of times the character swings; the weaker the weapon, the more times they swing. Francesca has lower Dex than Mio, but Fran always swings twice and Mio always swings once. The difference is their weapon strength value.

But I just checked and there appears to be a fourth even lower value than the three I mentioned; Perrielle has a particularly weak weapon and seems to attack four or five times. Her animation makes it hard to tell.

Edit: I'll add that it really doesn't matter much. Even on hard mode the game isn't particularly challenging, so trying to math out if a character who swings more often has higher damage potential or whatever isn't all that meaningful. I suppose the game could have a trick it hasn't pulled yet to make theorycrafting worthwhile, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 26, 2024

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I think I am going to take a break from Eiyuden and play the new SaGa game for a bit instead. At least with SaGa the lack of documentation is part of what you're signing up for.

Looking forward to being confused about how monsters work.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Aside from one particularly nasty boss fight I haven't found Eiyuden's hard mode very difficult. I can only imagine how bored I'd be if I were playing on normal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Got to the part where you get the castle in Eiyuden and when prompted to come up with a name the options were so bad I thought they were a joke, but nah, that name's final, so now I own Bilbao Rock

If you say "Let me think it over" it generates new options. There's several dozen names to choose from but it only shows them to you three at a time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

They mostly suck. Went with Calaborough because it was whatever, but I should have shuffled until I got Meow Meow Town.

Not sure why they don't just let you type in a name like in Suikoden. Did they let backers submit the names or something?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know the actual favorite foods of the cast? B'baba is useless for about half the cast and this guide just straight-up loving lies when the author doesn't actually know the right answer (Galladur and Chandra are two examples I recall offhand where their favorite foods are just, not the things the guide claims they are).

Feeding people their favorite foods is kind of a trap because a lot of the time you score a five and three zeros. Unless they fix the way scoring works it's not even worth worrying about.

Almost everyone likes fried eggs, omelets, and marinated seafood. If you feed people nothing but that you will usually score 30+ points and win. I don't know if it matters what slot you serve the food in, either. Feeding them omelets for dessert scores 3s and 4s reliably.

Edit: Based on how stuff scores I'm pretty convinced that whoever worked on the minigame just programmed in their own food preferences. Zeros across the board for ice cream but god drat do they all love eggs.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 3, 2024

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Finished Eiyuden. The aesthetics and character designs are good, and I largely enjoyed the character dialogue. Unfortunately the design philosophy is mired two decades in the past and compares unfavorably to the titles it's trying to replicate. The plot isn't particularly compelling until late in the game, and the villain's motivations aren't explored until literally the last five minutes. Call it a 6 out of 10.

I don't expect I'll ever bother to replay it. I'd rather play Suikoden II again. Everything Eiyuden attempted was done better in that title.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Thank you.

Also, holy poo poo, Eiyuden Chronicles goes hard in places it absolutely does not need to. If you thought the beigoma sidequest having a goddamn postgame was nuts, apparently if you collect several copies of a single card, it gets a rainbow background (the secret reward cards automatically come with it, since you can only get one copy of those). It's neat, but absolutely more effort than was required for poor man's Triple Triad.

For another example go stage some plays and see how many characters give unique performances. Garr does not take the role of Juliet seriously.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Just to update you guys, I found the issue. Turns out Seign has two scenes during this sequence, but you have to go up next to him to trigger the second one, and he's loving invisible. It seems to be an issue with the latest patch on Switch. Who playtested the drat patch, Kreskin?

This is actually a clever reference to invisible character bugs in the first Suikoden.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Eiyuden could have been a good entry point, but it doesn't have any of the QoL features you would expect from a modern JRPG. From a gameplay perspective it feels like playing Suikoden 2 if the combat were slower, the mechanics were worse, and the characters were less interesting. Honestly can't recommend it when a 20 year old game is easily superior.

A real disappointment, but maybe it'll get better with some updates and DLC. Not holding my breath, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Does anyone in Eiyuden get a Primal Lens?

Guess I'll spoiler in case anyone cares:

Nope, the primal lenses are just plot macguffins. They get mentioned as important but this importance isn't really demonstrated, and aside from Nowa and Seign finding one at the beginning of the game the protagonists don't have any meaningful encounters with them or get their destinies tied to them or anything. It's weird because they sort of suggest that Nowa and Seign have some sort of special connection to the runebarrows early on, but they immediately drop that.

They should have just had Nowa becoming a primal lens bearer the inciting event. As it is, he's just a kid from a backwater village with no real accomplishments and no connection to any of the major players or events, but I guess he's got the sort of energy they want to see in this organization so they put him in charge of everything.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

People make up so many weird reasons for why Deadfire didn't move units.

It was entirely a marketing failure. There's a bunch of people who played the first game, enjoyed it, and then went on with their lives completely unaware that a sequel even existed. The first game got a ton of free press as one of the big early Kickstarter successes, and the sequel didn't benefit from that because big crowdfunding successes were old hat by that point. Aside from some noise around the Critical Role stuff I don't know that Deadfire really got any press attention at all. In addition there were now a bunch of big competitors in the same gaming space, most notably Original Sin 2 the year before it and Pathfinder: Kingmaker a few months after it, that were eating up market share.

And none of that even matters, because at this point Deadfire wasn't even a failure. It's sold well and turned a good profit, it just took longer than anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Radia posted:

as deserved. deadfire ftmfw

Taear posted:

I think at least for me I can't imagine this. How can you play RPGs and not know it existed? It just honestly blows my mind even the concept of a person like this existing.

We're the weirdos for following games closely and keeping up with all the news and releases. Most people don't do that. They either hear about games from friends, see advertisements, or happen to catch wind of something through social media channels.