Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

baram. posted:

how did the pc port of Grandia 2 turn out?

The narrow screen can get irritating and there's a horrendous audio glitch that seems to be connected to the 60 fps setting (seriously, it sounds like your computer's possessed by Pazuzu). Seems fine otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

YIIK would be worth paying attention to if the devs ever fixed Two Brothers.

As it is... for all we know, YIIK will be a buggy mess.

Everything about YIIK's trailers have turned me off the game except maybe some of the music. It looks like refried butt cheek, the voice acting is bad, and the combat looks glacially paced because it's choked with so many minigames. Reminds me of some of the more recent Mario & Luigi games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The ones that immediately jump to mind, for nostalgic reasons or otherwise:

Final Fantasy 7 - Anxious Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EVCuK7ZqM

Persona 4 - Reach Out to the Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bG6PPQyxyI

Undertale - Undertale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBhFHJMVfiI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I could quote VP all day. ALL. DAY.

"You're still alive??? Cockroach!"

"You back up your words with deeds and it is not enough."

"My throne was not handed to me. I have EARNED IT!"

Any great magic.

The best quotes :allears:

"They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, so I say, 'nice try.'" :smug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Xenosaga was crap, Xenogears was crap, Xenoblade X was crap.

Only one game escaped the curse of that terrible franchise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Oxxidation is known to have terrible opinions on some things but their buddy Toxxupation is so much worse...

We're not buddies anymore.

Feel free to once again view us as separate people, minus the occasional wacky mix-up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Laphicet looks a-goddamn-dorable and I hope he's basically Berseria's answer to Nier's Emil, without as much hideous tragedy.

e: had to specify Nier because I remembered the Tales series has an Emil too, and he's terrible.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 25, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tales of the abyss is my favorite tales game, it isn't. asch is pretty angsty i guess but the main character's entire progression after act 1 is learning to be more calm and accepting and live with his own mistakes

At which point he remains mired in self-loathing and proposes self-termination every six hours or so, to the party's consternation.

Your opinions on ToA aside, it is absolutely chockablock with angst and melodrama.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the entirety of act 3 of tales of the abyss is about people telling him that sacrificing himself is a hosed up, horrible idea

act 3 of tales of the abyss is about luke realizing that he's not human trash and does, in fact, deserve to live a good life with everyone else

Most of Act 2 has that happening too, but it doesn't change the fact that he's still constantly proposing it. And that's alongside the soap-opera backstories of nearly every other character in the game. Even the cuddly mascot accidentally killed a bunch of his own people and made himself a pariah a week or so before joining the party.

Tales of the Abyss is decent but I think it gets a little too much praise because the Tales series is, on the whole, pretty frigging awful and ToA is one of the few entries that feels like a complete, thoughtful product. It's still got a bunch of stuff that's hard to like, nonetheless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually most Tales games are pretty good apart from notable exceptions and Abyss is one of the better ones.

Nearly every entry has been some variety of janky, undercooked, or unfinished. Abyss and Symphonia seem to be complete, and Vesperia lucked out because its major piece of cut/dummied content was something the game was really better off without (Patty), but it takes at least a little masochism to enjoy most of the others. Maybe this only applies to the 3D entries, I never touched anything before Symphonia.

Still looking forward to Berseria though, apparently it's supposed to be the most complete entry since Vesperia.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be thankful it's not Abyss, because boy does that one dig deep with its terminology. You'll hear the word "Fonon" so often it loses all meaning.

Abyss generally isn't as complicated as it tried to make itself sound, since "fonons" are basically "atoms, but with magic and music in." It's only when you get into the late-game optional stuff like Hyperresonance and Contamination Theory when things become a bit puzzling.

And of course the latter's necessary to understanding the ending, because Tales games never want to keep things simple.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't remember the average age of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's cast but they were definitely well out of high school.

It's practically a plot point, since the game ultimately consists of a bunch of grown-ups coming to clean up the kids' mess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is Star ocean 2 still a good game or is that just by the standards of its sequels?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I need to replay DQ8 one of these days, I remember very little about it aside from a highly irritating fetch quest for a fat prince and a somehow heartbreaking scene in which a tiny Russian woman blinds a dog with pepper.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I had fond memories of Valkyrie Profile so I gave it another spin and man, what a weird, frustrating little game this was. Battle system's still a joy and I like its approach to shops and crafting, but the dungeons are a bitter, samey slog and there's so many of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kanfy posted:

You played through this game semi-recently, you should know the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcm3ak-SLqM

Darn, beat me to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

Bravely Default did it well by ramping up the ridiculous poo poo it threw at you and asking you to deal with it which made me feel smart and powerful when I did :)

Then again, you can also find a combo so tough the game can't ever break it. I literally did not have to change my party setup once from (I think) Chapter 5 onward. Let me see if I can find my old post on it.

Tiz as Spiritmaster/Salve-Maker, Agnes as Dark Knight/Sword Mage, Ringabel as Vampire/Dark Knight, and Edea as Dark Knight/Pirate. Tiz equipped with Buff Up. The latter three all equipped with Hermes items, Speed Up +10/20%, Gloom, and One-Handed. Ringabel equipped with Hasten World.

Tiz opens with Stillness/Dark Bane, the rest buff with Life or Death, and then spam Rage and Minus Strike for the rest of the battle. For tougher fights, Tiz opens with BP Up + BP Up + Fairy Ward + Stillness, followed by a full-party Default, followed by Drain Blade/Life or Death/Shin Strike. Fairy Ward blocks Life or Death's Doom effect, Shin Strike ensures the enemy will never get a turn ahead of my party, and Drain Blade lets Agnes double-time Rage to the tune of 50,000-100,000 damage a turn. Meanwhile, Tiz is growing steadily harder and harder to kill with every passing round, and if anyone dies, he can just use a Phoenix Down and let them crack out Minus Strike x4 for the rest of the fight. If things got really dire, Elixir + White Wind was enough to refill everyone's HP at once.

Everything melted, including the bonus boss.

I especially liked keeping Tiz as Spirit Master because I always pictured him as the slightly exasperated secretary/HR rep to Agnes' idiot leadership, and a job that let him basically administrate the enemy to death was very fitting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Still playing Valkyrie Profile.

I remember now that it sort of has the Chrono Cross problem of a cast so big you can't ever reasonably make proper use of them all, but unlike CC each character does have tons of personality and individuality (discounting the amateurish voice acting) so that makes it even worse.

Also it's still funny just how much of a counter-intuitive enigma the true ending path of this thing is. It's not even an extra scene or anything! It's literally where the game hides all its plot!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Reminds me of how Breath of Fire 2's fan translation caught flak for being full of smirking innuendo before some people checked the Japanese script and discovered it really was basically Dick Joke: The JRPG.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

What's better, SMT Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga? I've only played the Persona games from this series so far. Any notes on any major differences between Nocturne and DDS would be appreciated too

DDS is closer to a modern RPG, but they're both unforgiving dungeon crawlers at heart and both very good. Nocturne involves demon management (think Persona, except your Personas are actual party members), whereas DDS has you working with a set party that's got skill trees and so on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One of the things that really weirded me out between DDS1 and DDS2 is that your characters' weapon sounds are really muted in the second game. That satisfying clack that happens when Serph unsheathes his blades sounds like it's being played through two feet of cotton wool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm not sure I could ever touch a Wild ARMs game again after the crap the second one put my eleven-year old self through.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

if you want to emulate wild arms 3 you're either going to need a ridiculously good pc or turn off like half of the particle effects

Is it supposed to have that sketchy Okami-esque filter over everything, because I can see that getting annoying fast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there even a slim chance of the Cold Steel games getting PS4 ports? It's all I've got and I'm not investing in a PSTV.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Wild ARMs probably had the best approach to random encounters that I've seen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Pirate Captain posted:

after you have all the asterisks, it becomes abundantly clear that the Ranger class is so overpowered that there's no point in using anything else.

hahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahaha

Someone never tasted the forbidden fruit of Dark Knight + Spiritmaster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

My preferred method of breaking BD was to have a team of two Thieves with insane Agility (usually by double equipping those daggers that crazy boost Agility) and Mimic. Since Godspeed Strike bypasses defense and they are super fast, the two of them would collectively hit for 79,992 damage every round thanks to my third character being a BP battery with Performance/Mimic and the fourth character a Spiritmaster who could always throw out a Stillness right after the Thieves move to ensure everyone would always be protected.

My combo let Agnes deal almost six figures of damage per round all by her lonesome. There's a lot of hilariously broken skill combos in BD, which I think is a point in the game's favor. All of the jobs synergize really well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

Now that I'm done FFXV I'm back playing SMT: Nocturne and let me tell ya I hate those Amala Labyrinths. Having to go through a Kingdom Hearts tier minigame to travel through them is not a fun time.

I'm not sure which ending I'm en route for. The SMT games usually have L/N/C paths and I have liked the Neutral paths in the past since they were usually humanistic.

Nocturne Neutral owns. Your chief ally is a well-meaning schoolteacher commanding a fragment of a broken god too weak to even manifest a Reason, but you still break the face of every single deity you run into to see her plans through, up to and including the face of YHVH's own emissary, who's pissed that you're not playing by His rulebook.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nocturne is a fun game but it has a very weird design philosophy where there are four main characters going off and doing interesting things, and you are not one of them but you have to go through all the dungeons so you can show up and have the other characters tell you what they did while you were checking in on everyone else. You're very much a spectator to the game's events and as such there's not a ton of your characters doing things but instead you going from place to place and talking to people and watching them actually do things. That basically never ends. SMT4 is better about making you feel like you're doing things but still has minor annoyances with getting lost.

Nocturne's main character is basically a random encounter monster that got too big for its britches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All this talk about Trails really makes me question the wisdom of playing multiple story-heavy games in a continuous series, each of which is apparently around 60-100 hours long, when the final installment of said series is not and may never be localized. Especially when every single one ends on some variety of "To Be Continued."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"All is lost. Death is certain. Thank you for your support!" :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

is kingdom hearts a rpg? should I play 3d?

Kingdom Hearts is an RPG. Opinions on 3D are divided. I liked it, personally.

If you've got the cash to spare then you might want to wait a month, for when the remastered console version drops.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't have a console, the 3ds/laptop is my only gaming device. :(

I know the basic plot of KH and I played the first and second, how's the gameplay in 3D?

It adds a semi-parkour system called Flowmotion that lets you springboard around on walls/grind rails/swing on lampposts etc. This makes you way more mobile, of course, but to compensate the levels are all huge with very little to fill up the empty space. I liked it a lot, but it's a contentious mechanic.

Also contentious is the new Dream Eater system, in which you basically acquire and train monsters to fight alongside you. These critters replace your party members and share skillsets with you, so if you want to, say, learn Cura, you need to catch a big dopey cat demon and grind its skill board (because of course it's a god damned board game) until you can light up the Cura square. The real irritation is that combat is awful at leveling the monsters compared to a silly touch-screen minigame you can repeat over and over again for tons of AP. It gets tedious.

Even more contentious is the Drop system, in which you alternate playing as both Sora and Riku with an ever-draining bar called the Drop bar that, when it runs out, forces you to switch to the other character. The bar never stops draining, even in boss fights, and if it expires mid-battle then guess what, bucko, you get to do the entire boss from scratch.

KH kind of reminds me of the Sonic franchise in that it's constantly gagging on useless innovation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tenderjerk posted:

If you have a PS4 and like good games, Odin Sphere is half off rn, and they improved this game so much it is shocking. It's like they took every problem the base game had, even to the smallest nitpicky stuff, and fixed all of it. All this time I thought it was just another HD upscaled cash grab, I had no idea they basically reconstructed the whole game

It's been a long time since I played the original, but I'm pretty sure they even added new animations to the characters. I don't remember the "release Phozons" stance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Prism posted:

You will also (as far as I remember) end in the second master class you enter for each character (since there's just enough Master Seals to get each person into each class), so pick the one you like for a character least first if you intend to get all of them.

The weapons and abilities do stay unlocked when you switch into the other master class, though, so the only permanent difference is the stat changes. And the look, of course.

You can freely switch between Master Classes after unlocking both.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad Monolith is admitting XCX was a mistake.

Sawano, I can't hear you, I can't see you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

They look like masterpieces compared to what blade 1 and xbx were

I always kind of liked Xenoblade's sketch-texture faces.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stelas posted:

Playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Even if you hate all things Neptunia, it at least made leaps and strides in the apparently arcane-rear end technology of 'skip this attack I've seen 5000 times before so I don't have to sit through it yet again'.

e: To clarify: game is great. I love it. It's just the right stupid to be entirely my jam. But I wish I could skip 95% of each battle.

e2: I guess a valid complaint would also be that the difficulty has dropped out of the game in record time, but that's just being faithful to FE and SMT I guess

It picks back up again for the final boss at least.

It also follows the SMT tradition of having a comically unkillable NG+ bonus boss but fuuuuck that noise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HGH posted:

I hope the next JRPG I play can just have everyone voiced by whoever does Dark Turtlez. I've never wanted to hear more of a dumb accent like this.

To be more on topic, what are some of the crazier (but not Texan) accents in some games?

Have you met my friend Dino from FFXV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yoko Taro does what he wants and does it as hard as possible and that is a commendable thing.