Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

Atelier Iris 2 is great, but very very Anime. It has a neat combination of dungeon running and alchemy and the dungeons require alchemical items to traverse so everything has some importance.
It's also quite a long game, I still haven't completed it, mainly due to trying to complete all the alchemy items and grind up for the optional bosses which are currently kicking my arse.

Dunno about 1 or 3 but i'm guessing probably the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
On the subject of awful RPGs, playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope at the moment

It's enjoyable.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

I hopped on a deal a couple weeks ago where Eternal Sonata on the PS3 was like, $10. Pretty good, IMO.

After playing it for a couple of hours, the story is pretty terrible (or decent, for JRPG standards), but I do like the battle system. And drat, Viola can bust out some crazy damage on her bow.

Plus her heal spell is pretty bitchin' too. Been ages since i played it. Star Ocean is still being enjoyable, if a little easy (earth mode). I'm a sucker for customisation and synthesis too

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Nutbladder posted:

The Japanese come up with way better campy white-guy hero names than Americans do, but I don't think they've grasped the rest of it yet.

Roscoe Bearkiller or Keine Fuckgiver would have been pretty amazing protagonists, and yes the Japanese have a propensity towards sissies, even Nier, who's a buff middle aged man is a bit of a wuss personality wise

I suppose Edge has reason to be though he accidently blew up a planet

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Fallout 3 is a good game by its own right, but it's narrative necessitates a certain degree of linearity as you pursue your father through the wasteland. It's a more personal narrative as it deals with the concept of family and legacy, but as a shortfall it isn't that funny or creative.

New Vegas takes the opposite route, the plot is a very simple revenge tale in the vein of the spaghetti western, leaving origins, personality and priorities wide open. The end goal is in sight very early on, but you're given no sense of urgency or no big push to pursue it right away.

With the main plot so open ended, the side quests have been given a huge amount of care and the options for solving problems are astounding. I've been playing it about three or four hours a night for the past week and i'm still wide eyed with wonder with every quest i work through.

Whilst I appreciate the care and quality of the first two games, I don't find them particularly fun to play, so New Vegas is an excellent compromise.

gently caress those Cazadores though

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

VDay posted:

ToV is pretty awesome if you're an OCD gamer like me as it will keep you very busy. Between getting all the recipes, costumes, grinding GRADE, and getting my guys to level 200, it actually kept my attention long enough for me to finish it. Usually I get about 2/3rds of the way through an RPG before I fall into the "I'll just grind for a bit" trap, get bored, and end up dropping the game for a year.

That's the same sort of thing with Star Ocean 4, which has 255 levels for each character, 900 battle trophies, 153 monster data entries that require a lot of grinding, weapon data, about 300 odd recipes, loads of side quests. I think Vesperia is probably the better of the two in the end, (haven't played it thanks to no PS3 loving localisation, but from what i've read)

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Drunken Butterfly posted:

I remembering it being a really cool game, exploring and battling with your airship is really neat. The biggest problem with the game is the random encounter rate is ridiculously high, I'd say go for it if stuff like that usually doesn't bother you.

If it's the gamecube version they reduced the encounter rate and added seven extra bosses you can fight at various points in the game, all in all it's a pretty amazing game with a lush overworld, think Just Cause 2's island levels of exploration in a ship that fires giant loving harpoons at people, in the sky. drat good game.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

No, it's the Dreamcast version, as mentioned. And I don't own a GC.

Oh well, guess I'll pass, then.

After a certain point in the game you can avoid encounters entirely, and it's not like they're hard or drawn out anyway, so do play it anyway, you won't regret it

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sega hasn't made a good decision in like a decade. Someone like tri-ace or something should just buy Skies of Arcadia from them.

If Skies of Arcadia had a tri-ace battle system implemented in it i'd be totally cool with that so long as the pirate exploration remained. Actually, for a game about pirates it was rather sparse on ransacking towns, so maybe put that in too.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Levantine posted:

As long as they only touch the battle system. Otherwise there will be a billion minor optional things to miss and half the game will only be available after you beat the final boss. I'm too old for easter egg hunt RPGs anymore (unless it's Skies of Arcadia)

Resonance of Fate was pretty good about not throwing out permanently missable quests, everything's done on a chapter by chapter basis and it tells you if there is anything unfinished before you complete a chapter. (SEGA published too)

It also has no plot, but that's neither here not there

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh there's a plot. It's just nigh incomprehensible and your characters are only actually part of it for the final couple chapters of the game.

The plot is Nathan Drake and some teens unleash a firearm smackdown on 1930s gangsters in a giant clockwork tower while a wee-a-boo cardinal with a pudding bowl haircut and a fanster t shirt follows them around, and that's still a hundred times better than FFXIII.

Also they have magical guns with 10 scopes and 14 barrels that can shoot people into the air

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Stelas posted:

I like having to do stuff in battle to test myself beyond just pressing attack, and Legend of Dragoon was the closest you got at the time. Then Shadow Hearts came out and I never looked back.

Dear god I'd love a next generation sequel to Shadow Hearts, or even just a trilogy HD remix pack with trophy/achievement support so I can play them again

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

iastudent posted:

Is the PC version of Grandia 2 worth tracking down? My Dreamcast is on the fritz and I've heard the PS2 version had some issues.

PC version is pretty drat good from what I remember, but I never played the PS2 version and i've enjoyed lovely ports like Saints Row 2 PC so I might be biased

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Been playing Atelier Rorona, loving hell the time system in this game is annoying. I understand it's integral to the story to have time limits, but it's loving ridiculous that it should take five days to make a batch of stuff in which you can't do anything else.

They really needed to sort that out, have a few assistants you can deligate tasks to so you can farm items and make items in the same timeframe.

Good game otherwise

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Stelas posted:

You also need to learn when to decide 'no, this job's poo poo, I'm not taking it'. Some jobs just aren't worth the trouble and if it's one of them, just ignore it and wait for that person to roll up another. This is especially true in the early game.

Yeah, i've basically just gone for story items and friendship quests above everything else, and maybe some high fee quests inbetween. I'm using a lot of downtime waiting for appraisal days just to open up new areas of exploration so i don't waste so much time later on.

This'll be going on the backburner again soon anyway, I can't keep concentrated on games anymore.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

I'd say it's one of the better games NIS has created. The room system is rather weird but it works well once you get used to it, and it has a decent story with some fantastic characters. Especially on the Demon path.

It's an unusual beast because unlike any other NIS game it's worth playing mainly for the story, the gameplay itself is a bit lacking compared to the Disgaea series, though it has its fair share of customisation, but it makes up for it by having two distinct paths to play through, some genuinely brilliant (and brilliantly evil) moments in the story and it's pretty cool visually.

I suppose it's the Nier of SRPGs

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Stelas posted:

Atelier Totori is in my hands. From the look of the manual, it appears to be much the same kind of game that Rorona was - most of the various mechanics look to work exactly the same, with the added bonus of a Skies of Arcadia style world map + Discovery system. So you're an alchemist who is also travelling the world in search of ruins and monuments while also doing a million jobs for people so they like you in the dating sim aspect of the game. Want to pack any more in there, Gust?

e: aaaaag gathering and fighting takes time now

Rorona was a great little RPG, but the time limit on some things was bullshit, and having everything come from HP was just a chore in itself and only having on assistant halfway through the game was annoying. From what i've read Totori fixes a LOT of these problems so i'll be picking this one up as soon as i've got through all the other loving games coming out in the next two months.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Anyone here played Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World? I'm playing Cthulhu at the moment, it's pretty much a lovecraftian dragon quest, nice combat system, lot of hidden dungeons and reasonably good dungeon design, they were going to have a sidequest system but it seems they had to scrap that, which is a shame.

Still, £2 for both of them on Steam is not to be sniffed at

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man I beat SO4 pretty thoroughly (didn't do the secret postgame dungeon, though) and the only thing I recall is the name EDGE MAVERICK and a girly voice going "'kay". What's the deal?

It's a completionists nightmare, what with the billions of boring shop fetch quests and battle trophies that to efficiently complete requires reading an FAQ that I swear to god is longer than most modern novels.

Some of the quests are time limited to the plot, as are the treasure chests one of the planets blows up and one of the character's leaves the party for good about two thirds of the way through so if you want his 100 battle trophies you'll need to grind the gently caress out of everything.

The trophy/achievement list is basically horrible if you want to plat/1000G it and requires something stupid like nine playthroughs to complete everything.

Loved the combat system though, and that's what got me through to the final boss, and I think the battle trophy system would be good if it worked like in mass effect where getting achievements unlocked stat bonusses and whatnot.

TL;DR
Star Ocean 4 is good solid JRPG ruined by three or four aspergic design choices and a horrible plot with terrible characters

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Gearhead posted:

This seems to be a trait in common with a LOT of games in the genre.

Stupid Human Tricks are a terrible way to keep people playing.

It's like Pavlov's dogs, if Pavlov was a pedophile furry

EDIT: The Shadow Hearts games are pretty much the gold standard of sufferable weeaboo JRPGs, everything is just so perfectly designed in SH2 and the characters are crazy and Japanese without being creepy or annoying.

A vampire wrestler smacking a giant bug in the face with an oversized fish is a sight I have yet to surpass

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 23, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Isn't Disgaea 1 on DS? I haven't played the DS version so I can't speak for its quality but it's a pretty great SRPG series.

It's an improvement over the original by a certain degree, like adding the option to speed up battles by removing attack animations, has a bunch of bonus characters to unlock and a second story mode you can play when you complete the first story.

It doesn't have quite the level of upgrade that D2:Dark Hero Days on the PSP has though, and graphically it's a bit awful. Still logged 200 hours into it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

mune posted:

I have really enjoyed games where you're supposed to die at first but each little bit of progress gives you a reward that you permanently have from the beginning of the game so you eventually make your way up to being super-powered. Plus you're getting better at the game!

Games that have done this (that I know of) are Elona Shooter and the Enchanted Cave (flash games) and I'm sure I'm missing some more. Man these games are fun, just wish there were more of them :(

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is kind of like this too, you only lose souls/humanity when you die but you keep any items you gain and any shortcuts or disarmed traps unlocked. This kind of positive defeat model actively encourages the player to continue playing.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

If you don't mind the combat system (I PREFER the old style point-and-click-your-choice-with-no-temporal-tension-at-all myself), honestly? It's pretty much the third best game I've ever played. Ever. Seriously. Right after FF9 and Mother 3. loving fantastic.

Also yes loading it to your HD is good for the load times. The music is actually supposed to be synced to the longer load time, but I've never played it without the data pre-loaded so I couldn't tell you for sure about that specifically.

Don't play it in English. Whatever you do, do not play it in English. Kaim's VA sucks, and Cooke and Mack's VAs are your bog standard "annoying children" voices and they're much more subdued in other languages.

Kaim's VA wasn't too bad, just a little unspirited, and if you avoid the English dub you miss out on Jansen's VA who does a great job of playing a sleazy drunken wizard

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Seriously Jansen's VA is outstanding and Sed's is too. I really need to get around to beating that game.

Sed was the guy who was sixty years older than his mum, right?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Nocturne is the tits, think demonic pokemon in a post-apocalyptic modern era tokyo where buffs and debuffs are integral to surviving even the random encounters and a real tactical element to fighting.

Plus you get to fight Dante from Devil May Cry

Thinking about it, FFXIII-2 had a similar but slightly tamer system to this

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

No reason not to be; Disgaea 4 made mad bank both in Japan and overseas, and the American division is consistently profitable (and in fact helped the company keep its head above water in some recent lean periods). Hard to say how Hundred Cavalrymen (or however they translate it) or Legastica will do, but I doubt they'll have any money problems for quite a while. If anything, keeping the Disgaea fires going is what'll keep them in business.

That's astonishingly good news, aspergers spreadsheet rpgs 24/7 4 eva

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Nickoten posted:

I don't even understand why people make this comparison. Outside of time travel what do the two have in common?

In RH the time travel is a more a game mechanic than anything else, right? Whereas games like CT and FFXIII-2 have time travel as a major plot points (XIII-2 obnoxiously so)

XIII-2 and CT do have similarities, and it doesn't have to be fanboy apoligism, because they're both pretty good games. CT has a more coherent plot and no bullshit DLC though, I think we can all agree that's a good thing

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, time travel is a pretty important plot mechanic too, it's just balanced with dimension travel.

I haven't actually played it, so I stand corrected

Unrelated, why are world maps disappearing from RPGs? I've seen some footage of Ni no Kuni that show's a world map, and I guess the Tales games still have them, but other than that most games seem to have abandoned them, which is a shame, as it was an elegant way of producing a vast looking world without sacrificing visuals

Plus I loved games like Skies of Arcadia or FF8 that had a bunch of hidden poo poo around the world (FF8's alien side quest was so obscure you could only happen on it by chance)

Strangely enough Just Cause 2 was the last game that made me feel excited about exploring a huge open world, when I found a lonely tower in a field of cherry blossoms with a wubble gun at the top

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Have you played Xenoblade? If not do so, because that's the best loving game in years for exploring a beautiful world packed with things to find, (some of) the places you visit are absolutely humongous. For example: every area in the game has a few secret spots (the game designates them as such and gives you a little ding) that are seriously hard to find and the payoff is usually just some exp and maybe a rare item, but by god is it satisfying to stumble upon one and most of them are really impressive spots like a cave behind the waterfall, an outcropping over a sheer cliff, or a quiet little spring hidden among the trees. That doesn't sound impressive but the whole thing somehow comes together to make it so.

I don't know if I managed to sell you on this since it's really hard to convey feelings over words but you could also watch this for an example of the environments (the good part is about six minutes in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLyqhQDqwc
Almost everything you see, you can get to.

I own Xenoblade, it's a great game so far and it's a great example of pretty much every game idea ever. Great game, wish there were more things like it.

Speaking of which, I'm playing Twilight Princess at the moment, why aren't there more knock-offs of the 3D zelda games? It's a really succesful formula

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I'd go for some of those PS1 FF games if Sony would hurry up and add PS1 support to the Vita. FF7 on the go would be awesome.

I'd also love for them to release Tactics on the Euro PSN network at some point this century, it's one of the very few games in the series I haven't played which is bonkers because i've played both Tactics Advance games

EDIT: Also, I just restarted Star Ocean 4 on PS3, took a little look at the trophy list...it requires you to play it through at least four times, get all 900 trophies and I imagine savescum for different character endings, that's a lot of work even for a JRPG, and one game that could have done with being revised using ideas from Nier and FFXIII-2 (NG+ starting halfway through the game, restarting specific event gates) Either of those things should be in every JRPG that feels the need to have multiple endings at the end of a 40 hour game

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 21, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm gonna give a different take on this and say that I loved it, and I'm someone who loves RPGs but is barely a fan of RTS games. I think part of why it clicked with me is because it's got just enough of an RPG veneer to make me happy and is pretty much Babby's First RTS. It's a fun little timewaster, with some occasional moments of depth if you wanna get a little :spergin:.

That being said, it would be a lot more fun for you if you had played FFXII. You don't really need to have played FFXII to play the game (it's a self-contained storyline) but the game assumes you did and 'develops' the characters accordingly.

Revenant wings was pretty much an RTS version of FFTA, in that you have an overworld, but everything in the game is battles and you can do crafting etc on an airship. It was a fun game for all of the few hours i played it before getting stuck, but it could have really done with a bit more depth

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Fitret posted:

Got the hankering for an RPG and I'm not sure what to play. Ideally I want to play something on my TV, which would mean 360, PS3, or solid controller support on PC. Mechanics/gameplay are more important to me than story, but of course I'd like a good story. It also should be ideally less than 40 hours (no Disgaea or Persona, I never end up finishing those) unless it's so completely amazing that I won't want to put it down. I've played most of the Final Fantasies (didn't finish 8, 13, and never started 10-2 or 13-2), Chrono Trigger (didn't like Chrono Cross), the Fallout series (minus New Vegas), Oblivion, Skyrim, Demon's Soul, Dark Souls (though I haven't finished it yet, I may just go back to that), Front Mission 4... well there are probably too many to name that I've played or at least tried over time. I never gave the Witcher a shot, so I've been debating that. Eternal Sonata has also been sitting on my shelf since I got it for free from a friend, but I've heard it's not so great.

Edit: How does Persona 4 compared to 3? 3 felt very repetitive to me - I really enjoyed the first 20 - 30 hours, but then the dungeons just felt waaaaaaaaay too long.

A few suggestions for PS3: Final Fantasy 13-2 is a lot less linear than the first game, and can be finished in around thirty hours. It's also pretty good if you ignore the retarded plot.

The Atelier series are also great low maintainance RPGs, i've only played Rorona, which others say is one to avoid as the sequels Totori and Meruru are superior, though I quite enjoyed it.

Star Ocean 4 is actually a pretty good game, it'll take a bit longer than 40 hours to complete, though not much longer if you're just playing the main game. Warning with this one, the plot is loving awful and the characters are creepy as hell, but the gameplay is where it shines, great battle system

Eternal Sonata is actually good, but quite a linear game and very moe. Short though, probably can finish it in around 25 hours, and the visuals are good. Interesting combat system too

Nier plays like cack but has a great story, great characters, great soundtrack and can realistically be finished in around 15 hours, though it's highly recommended that you do a second playthrough which starts at the halfway point because there are some major reveals to the plot you can only get in the second playthrough

I've been playing Dragon's Dogma recently, it has a big open world, meaty combat and looks great, though there's not much in the way of fast travel options and it is balls hard at times. Not sure if it would be your thing

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I'm about six months behind on any game I play, so this is probably old news to you guys, but I've just done a first impressions write up of Kingdoms of Amalur for your pleasure:banjo:

NO SPOILERS

Games these days have a hell of a time coming up with original settings or mechanics, now that the industry is in full swing and affordable development is on the increase this issue is going to get worse. So what do you do? 38 Studios decided to embrace the inspiration and came up with a game that's some how Fable, World of Warcraft and Dragon Age all rolled into one. You could write a textbook on the trials and tribulations of the recently bankrupt company, some may say that former Baseball star Curt Schilling is a scumbag for effectively ripping off the government when he defaulted on the company's $115 million loan (or however much it was), but I'm not really interested in that, more in actually talking about how the game actually is:

Gameplay - 8/10
Gameplay is solid, it's a standard MMORPG-like fare where there are zones to play in, quests to do and enemies to kill. Thankfully the dearth of kill x plaguerats or collect y dragon hides was a concept condemned in the eyes of the dev team, as the questing generally involves dungeon trawling, hunting for clues, tracking and defeating marks whilst somehow keeping the formula fresh. The quests at heart are basically the same thing over and over again, but they are held together quite well with some nice if a little mediocre flavour text. The combat is excellent, however, it starts out simplistic but as you unlock various abilities you can take on enemies more tactically and change up the flavour of battles. I was playing as a rogue, so my experience has mainly been sneaking around, disabling enemies, dashing around to evade attacks and generally shanking every living thing in existance. It's responsive and the control set up never feels obnoxious, so kudos all around for that. KoA also does the Fable thing of having a friendly fire toggle button for all you budding sociopaths out there.

Story - 5/10
I'm not gripped by the story, i have to say. Given how the promo material was bigging up how R.A. Salvatore was writing everything, it's kind of...amateurish in presentation. The central theme involves the fact that the game universe is governed by fate, and your character, by surviving his or her own death at the beginning, has broken free of fate and can freely unravel the world around them. This is a cool concept, and there is a huge amount of backstory and world lore written for the game, but Salvatore just doesn't really go anywhere with it. Dialogue is flat and frankly not delivered all that well by the voice cast, the characters are unmemorable and the world suffers the usual Tolkein problem of everything having a stupid hard to remember name. Looking at another open world fantasy RPG, Skyrim, the locations and characters were named in a way that it was easy to distinguish between them. Solitude, Dawnstar, Markath, Beggars Reach, High Hrothgar, easy stuff. I can't even remember the names of the main towns and I only put the game down thirty minutes ago to write this. So...not great in this respect.

Graphics and design - 8/10
The game engine was designed from the beggining with the idea of making the game an MMO, so graphically it's not up to Uncharted/Cryengine standards, but loading is quick and everything on the overworld is seamless, which honestly I can accept a sacrifice to visuals for. I'm not a geek about graphics, I'm happy with what i'm seeing, the visual style is somewhere between Wow and Fable. Semi-realistic but comic book in tone without looking ridiculous. Enemy designs are pretty good, you have your staple RPG enemies as well as ones unique to this world but everything seems fresh to look at. I'm particularly fond of the Boggarts, little wooden bastards who waddle around blissfully ignorant of the terrifying tatooed lady creeping up behind them. Animations are good, nothing extraordinary, but wholly competent and they flow well. I've only had the game freeze on me once, and I got stuck in the ground once, but generally the engine holds up well.

Sound - 8/10
Can't fault the audio, no bugs, everything is crisp. Music, again, is a bit bland and unmemorable, sound effects are pretty good, but that's something that's hard to mess up these days. Nothing else really to note.

Longevity - ?/10
I'm about twelve hours into the game, and i've covered less than 1/4 of the map, so i have no idea at the moment how the game is going to hold up into the endgame. As it stands right now, i'm having trouble putting the controller down. Quests are quick without being brief and there is a steady stream of rewards. The gameplay itself is varied enough to keep me interested but I can't see myself playing through to the end, at least not without a six month break in between. Sometimes there can be too much to do and you end up with saturation fatigue, but I can't really complain about having lots of content in a game, especially when even modern AAA RPGs are getting shorter and shorter.

Overall - 7/10
Unfortunately, if you're big on visual flair and epic storytelling, this probably isn't the game for you. Nothing about it sets the world alight. What it does right, it does very well. There's virtually nothing annoying in the game, but it also doesn't really challenge you on any level. Customisation is good but not great, battles can be tense but fateshifting is a press-to-win button and fills far too quickly. I really like the game, otherwise I wouldn't keep playing, but it's not without its flaws. I would recommend anyone who likes ARPGs to at least give this a try, though Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 both came out recently, and Skyrim is still awesome nearly a year on from release. I'm happy, so the game has succeeded in it's primary goal.

TL:DR: Gameplay good, everything else mediocre

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

J-Spot posted:

My opinions of the game were pretty much the same as yours when I reached the 12 hour mark, but as I went the game started to wear on me. At first it's kind of amazing how much content they put into the game, but eventually you reach a point where you just want to progress and there's another three exclamation points on your map every time you walk an inch forward. The quests start to become more and more repetitive, and I wound up at the point where there was no better loot to be had in the game but I still had nearly half the map left unexplored. Finally I just said to hell with it and killed off the main quest. Ultimately I thought it was a fun game, but apart from combat everything it does is done better in Skyrim. I'd recommend it to fans of the genre, but I suggest concentrating on the main and faction quests and only worrying about the miscellaneous quests during the post-game if you're still compelled to play.

Sometimes just doing the main quest is the best course of action in these kinds of games. In Skyrim the quest structure is inventive enough that you can justify taking a diversion from saving the world to investigate a murder or steal some poo poo, it really boils down to the flavour text and how the quests are structured. Those bright yellow '!'s are getting on my nerves a bit, but that's the MMO in it talking I guess

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
So I was thinking of picking up On the rain slicked precipice of darkness 3, since I really liked Zeboyd's other games, from a story perspective do you need to have played the first two games, or can I just jump straight into number 3?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure if I want to start playing Ni No Kuni again. I absolutely loved the style, music, themes, art, everything... but the gameplay itself became kind of :geno: after a while. I got through some volcano dungeon or another, then pretty much just stopped playing because I could see the repetitively grindy writing on the wall.

Shame, really. I like being told a story in my games and I really wanted to find out whether poor Oliver got what he wanted out of the whole mess :unsmith:

I hate to say this, but Ni no Kuni's story is fairly cookie cutter. It promises great things but never goes through with it and just dumps some generic exposition about the world and Oliver's connection to the sages and Shadar right at the end. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is great if you can handle a little grinding, but you don't need to to complete it. It's just that I went straight from Ni no Kuni to Tales of Graces f, which I think has a much more interesting story and less one dimensional characters.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
So I picked up Mugen Souls in the PSN Big in Japan sale last week, I wasn't expecting much since I knew the genius artisans behind Hyperdimension Neptunia (i.e. hands down the worst JRPG I've ever played) were behind it.

I was pleasantly surprised that it plays and feels more like a NIS game than a compile heart game. The story is tripe, sure, but it's vaguely amusing and largely inoffensive. Gameplay is pretty good, it uses a turn based combat system that feels a bit like Phantom Brave, you select maps as with NIS games, there are certain conditions you have to meet on each map to unlock the next one, and it has an interesting if convoluted personality swap system that generally works quite well. The only thing really stopping it from being great is the hideous chibi character models and the somewhat creepy nature of some of the characters.

It's worth a gander if like me you love Disgaea style number crunching

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I remember watching a video review for Time and Eternity where the dude doing the review said that once you get past a certain point in the game it gets a lot better, but I think he had a FFXIII's 20 hour tutorial length in mind and really if you can't get someone interested in the literal first half of the game then what the gently caress are you doing?

Having played a couple of chapters of the first Neptunia, that game is complete garbage. At least with games like Mugen Souls and the Guided Fate Paradox the gameplay is fast enough and fun enough that you can overlook how unbelievable loving boring all the cutscenes are, Neptunia has terrible dungeon design, a really slow and agonising combat system, sub par graphical fidelity, it's really a maelstrom of poo poo through and through.

And again, this is coming from someone who liked Mugen Souls

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Mugen Souls is literally based on the engine of the later Neptunia games. Dungeon design, combat, ect. It's hard to be worse than the first Neptunia though.

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on why i like it and not neptunia since they're so similar, but i guess its the Disgaea-lite elements what with levelling up weapons etc.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The gameplay of the Neptunia sequels is completely different and much better. Not amazing mind you, but there's a reason the first Neptunia got remade for the Vita.

Is it worth picking up the latest game then if I despised the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Do you like fanservice of both girls and video games with gameplay similar to Mugen Souls and the occasional actually funny moment drowned by some creepy stuff? If so, go for it.

I've completely gone off the story style of these games. I'm playing the Guided Fate Paradox at the moment and just skipping every single cutscene because I don't care about the boring story. If the actual gameplay itself is reasonably good I'm in. Case in point, as well as Mugen Souls, I also quite liked Star Ocean 4 and although its not a bad game, Ni No Kuni's story was very bland but the gameplay was good enough to ignore that