Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

About to take leave of my senses and play Xenosaga... I somehow have all three games in my collection but haven't played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any suggestions for getting the original Deus Ex working in Widescreen and maybe a texture upgrade? I found a mod called GMDX, but it seemed like it had some gameplay changes and I'd rather play the game with the original mechanics intact.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been replaying FF8 this summer and it seems like I identify more with Squall as I get older. Him laying in bed with his thoughts racing is a big mood at age 33.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance a good bit the past couple weeks and I think it really works well as a Skyrim style murderhobo sim. I was initially worried a lot of the "realism" was just gonna be mechanical tedium, but I'm finding that I am enjoying things like brewing potions on the alchemy bench or repairing items in town. Feels like a lot of the systems are self contained gameplay loops that function well together.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I keep a mace in my inventory in case I run across armored enemies. Plate just turns away any kind of edged weapon.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I paid 2000 gold for this ride:

Also rocking some really bad NPC level fit:

At least the jank in this game is charming.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

People are really getting upset that their gacha characters aren't single?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gotta have the Bioware affection meter where if you get enough heart points, you can kiss and maybe bone your paramour.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've seen some negative discussion about Kingdom Come Deliverance here and there, specifically regarding the views of the lead dev. While the lead dev certainly has said bad things publicly, I don't think the game really contains anything with a right wing or conservative bias. To me, the game does have issues with sexism, but it's more of a juvenile "male gaze" kind of thing rather than women being portrayed universally negatively. There are some cringe things like sex giving you a buff to charisma that really doesn't fly with today's expectations of games. But overall, the problems are sufficiently minor that I can overlook them to enjoy the rest of the game. Of course it's 100% understandable if the skeeviness from the dev's comments makes people decide not to play the game.

Having said that, I think it's a great pickup when it goes on sale if you enjoy Skyrim style RPG gameplay with a bit more focus on realistic mechanics. I think I got my copy for like $5 during a winter holiday sale or something like that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GateOfD posted:

I never Undertale’d, probably will put it in my wishlist

It's really good, probably a 5-10 hour playthrough depending on what path you want to play as. The music is really really drat good too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Endorph posted:

kingdom come deliverance is just eastern european

yes. complete with a perk you can take called "Slav" which lets you get drunk 50% faster.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TheMightyBoops posted:

I kind of remember consensus when it came out as also “there was just a guy who sucked who worked on it.” There’s gotta be a guy who at least equally sucks working on most big games.

I thought it looked cool but I heard it was kinda slow? I’m also going to pick it up for 5 bucks someday.

Edit: I forgot it was the game’s director, also it apparently got worse reviews than I thought.

The game had some performance issues at launch and the gameplay can be a bit divisive depending on how well you tolerate the "realism" aspects of the game. I think it uses CryEngine 3 and it can run poorly depending on the area you're in.

I'm preparing for a day in the market and decided to put on my best hat for the occasion:

Also, the game can't be 100% aimed towards incels because it at least requires you to bath in game every once in a while or characters will start yelling at you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Runa posted:

Most of what I know about Kingdom Come Deliverance is the devs being very vocal and proud about their historical accuracy and that's why it's not woke like those western libs

Which was basically like a batsignal calling every historian and history major with a twitter account to kick them in the balls.

Yeah he got real butthurt when a PhD called him out on historical inaccuracies in the game. It's a fictionalized version of medieval Bohemia, not everything can be 100% accurate. It is funny how the game basically goes "yeah town priests could get drunk and go wenching if they wanted to".

But to summarize my previous posts, the game is a solid 7/10 and well worth five bucks if it ever goes on sale.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gaius Marius posted:

Really fun game that is great for just chilling and relaxing in or going full simulationist goblin. Biggest flaw is the combat never quite manages to work as well as they'd intended it to.

Yeah I agree with this point. The weapon perks unlock combos, but high level enemies just perfect block and break them anyway. Which you can do to enemies as well, but it never quite gels. I really do enjoy the premise of the combat system overall, but I think it's maybe 90% there and could have used just a little more iteration.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh speaking of potions in KCD, there's something zen about hand crafting potions because you're basically following a cooking recipe. Takes about a minute or two to make each potion but you get three per successful craft and as mentioned you can take perks to auto brew. The only negative to the auto brew is that it's less efficient with materials, but most of the herbs are very cheap to procure.

Also, one of the oddest quirks in this game is that manual saves require a potion. It's not really a problem because they are so cheap, but I thought it was a really weird flex to make saving a game mechanic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Endorph posted:

like i said the dev just seems Eastern European as gently caress, hes stupid but i think trying to turn him into the bad guy in an american politics sense is self-defeating

That's more or less the point I was trying to make earlier. He's got lovely views but isn't trying to make Galt's Gulch in Bohemia. Or more like you can just ignore the dev and play the game without worrying about it too much.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Colonel posted:

Kingdom DUmb.

"but i's... i's just a serf milord!!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This person gets it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My current activity in KCD is getting shithoused while trying to convince a few peasants that cleaning out latrines is at least A Job and better than begging on the streets.

Also, I may have punched a guard. Yes. I punched a guard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I should replay Grandia 2. For the life of me I can't remember much of it despite beating it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Last night in Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

I went to the bathhouse with a local lord who got extremely drunk and told me to fetch a bottle of wine and a bouquet of flowers from town. So I did so while in my smallclothes. Then I returned and Lord Capon was being drowned by a jealous lover, but he was too shitfaced to actually get mad about it. I also learned that most of the nobility is illiterate.

Great time really.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The first time I felt the haptic triggers I thought my controller was gunked up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know you've been gathering too many herbs in a game when you come across dandelion IRL and go "hmm I need that for some potions later".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nobody Interesting posted:

Don't sleep on the Kingdom Come II announcement. Holy moly they went all out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DEEjyS5k

Hell yeah. It'll be released this year too (hopefully).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't recall anyone defending the asinine save system from that game. It''s a good thing open-world games made in Cryengine aren't liable to crash.

It becomes less of an issue once you learn alchemy because the herb requirements are pretty easy and you get 3 save potions per brew.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish the KCD lead dev wasn't an idiot but thankfully it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game. Henry's such a good lad in game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol, I was riding through town just now in KCD and hit a store sign and got knocked off my horse. Didn't expect the game to have that kind of detail lol.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol I got a pickpocketing perk in KCD which basically lets me get caught once (if people like me enough). Got my hand in their pocket and they're like "oh Hal, you kidder!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wasn't Tales of Zesteria the one where one of the main characters basically goes "yeah I'm done adventuring now" and leaves your party forever?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I didn't realize that increasing my herbalism skill in KCD would also increase the yield so I kept wondering why I would all of a sudden get overloaded while herb gathering. Turns out I have about 100 pounds of herbs in my inventory in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I kind of roll my eyes when I see a game with "Choices Matter" as one of the tags on Steam. Like what does that even mean? That the game reacts to the dialogue options you pick? I dunno, I guess that reactivity in an RPG is still a novelty to some gamers?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Colonel posted:

why play saga if you don't want a character who's just a strange being

those tags are community set so if there's anything that doesn't make sense, it's because the system is not set up for these to make sense

oh okay, that makes more sense.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umN7YOsmGl4&t=33s

Singing characters you say?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't need a political reason to play a game. I just want to fight a villain with a sappy tragic backstory who chews scenery every time I see them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

*pushes glasses up nose* actually gamers, you will find that Dark Souls 2 is the superior entry into the franchise.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got some new armor in KCD last night and it was a big boost to my head armor slot.

What I didn't know was that it actively obscures your vision. Unless the head armor is open faced, your screen gets darkened in combat. If you're wearing something like a klappvisor, you literally see out of small eye slits.

It's great from a realism perspective but I laughed the first time I fought in this helmet because I couldn't see poo poo in the top quarter of my screen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I've been enjoying this game. I'm not far, but I just owned this noble brat in archery and a sword duel despite being a loser who was insulted by the guard captain guy immediately prior for my incompetence. Got a bow from it!

For some reason I had been under the vague impression the game was both bad and some sort of PvP thing until just a few days ago.

I think there are several Medieval Europe games put out by eastern European devs that are also PvP oriented. The all kind of get mixed up lol.

Hans is definitely a dick but he gets some nice development in a few sidequests.

Edit: Also, you should do the main questline until you learn how to do a Perfect Block. At that point you can just go off and do whatever sidequests suit your fancy. That's about the last MSQ gated mechanic and it's super crucial to survival.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CullenDaGaDee posted:

my favorite souls game is soul sacrifice

mine is Soul Provider, the album/song from Michael Bolton

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ytlaya posted:

My prediction about Hans was actually that he would grow to respect you and become your tsundere buddy, since I just got a quest to accompany him on a hunting trip.

Even just learning regular blocks made a pretty big difference, since I find it pretty easy to succeed with them, at least on controller. Currently I'll try to block and then do the feint attack where I hold R2 and then switch to the opposite side to actually make the attack.

Seems like the combat system is really made for controller too. From what I understand, clinches and Master Strikes are based on your weapon skill, so there is an element of randomness to success in combat. Also, I would recommend that you do the Rattay Tournament every week if you're able to. You probably won't win it, but it's great for fighting experience. Also, you can train with Captain Bernard outside of the eastern gate in Rattay to get skill XP for various weapons.

I'll try not to post too many spoilers or advice for the rest of the game. The early going can be a little rough combat wise, but once you figure out the system it becomes pretty engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A JRPG character with blue hair? Well I never!