Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Xenix posted:

I have a quick question about characters and their item requests in The Last Remnant. I have recruited Baulson and he has several of all of the items he requests. What do characters use them for? Upgrading their weapons? How do I get him to use them? Does he just not have enough of one of them?

Yes, they're used to upgrade their weapons. When you enter a city and they have enough of the required items, they'll automatically upgrade their weapons. You'll want to check the wiki for how many of each item they need since the game doesn't tell you.

EDIT: ^^^^ Forgot about the BR requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Someone sell me on Baten Kaitos. I can get a copy off Amazon for practically nothing but all I know about it is that it's a turn based RPG with cards and has some sweet sounding music.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well, I got my copy ordered so hopefully I'll be able to give this a go soon. Was starting to think I didn't have much reason to keep my Wii around till I started looking into this game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A sad day for egg grinders everywhere. :smith:

http://www.destructoid.com/grandia-creator-takeshi-miyaji-dies-aged-45-207622.phtml

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is the PC version of Grandia 2 worth tracking down? My Dreamcast is on the fritz and I've heard the PS2 version had some issues.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bunch of XSeed PSP stuff on there too worth playing. The Ys games are among the best action-RPGs out there, Trails in the Sky is an underrated turn-based RPG with some interesting mechanics, and Lunar is good for a nostalgia kick.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just as a general question, why is Atlus' site down over half the time I go to visit it?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone been keeping an eye on Lord of the Rings: War in the North? It looks kinda interesting and I was considering pre-ordering it but I've never played a Snowblind Studios game.

They made the Everquest and Baldur's Gate-themed hack & slash games, which weren't bad for what they were. Makes me wonder if War of the North will follow the other LOTR titles in that regard.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Ys Origin english patch is out. Haven't tried it yet myself, but here it is:
http://www.figlidigaucci.eu/index.php

Direct downloads:
http://www.mediafire.com/?da6jmv7j4d59dv1
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=94C11KV5

Edit: Oh yeah, you need to be running the special version of 1.1.0.0 that you get when you install the bonus disc. Otherwise the patch won't work apparently.

Speaking of Ys, Falcom recently announced Woodland of Celceta, a remake of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun. Apparently it uses an improved version of the Ys 7 combat engine.

Official Trailer

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

As far as SRPGs go, how is Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars? I saw a cheap copy at Goodwill the other day and I haven't played a GBA game in awhile.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I think I'll give it a pass then. I remembered hearing about it in some magazine years ago but not the details on it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kinda RPG-related but I got an email today saying that XSeed Games now has their own store.

If I wasn't already invested to go on vacation this weekend I'd buy the Dogi shirt in a heartbeat. :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

The Dogi shirt is incredible and I own it already.

More importantly, though, loving RUNE FACTORY FRONTIER. And money that'll go STRAIGHT to the devs and publisher! GET ON THAT poo poo, GOONS. I have a suspicion that'll sell out really fast at that price.

Something unusual I just noticed. They sell DS titles but they don't have Solatorobo, which came out just last week. :confused:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nice to see they're selling the Ys soundtrack CDs too. Even though there's a mininum amount you have to purchase it's still a good deal for good VG music.

That list also reminded me that I still have the Felghana art calendar and I never bothered to take it out of the packaging. :negative:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you want an interesting mostly-historical based CRPG, Darklands was recently released on GOG.

Also a newer but still good game IMO, The Last Remnant, is the Steam daily deal for the next 2 1/2 hours at $10. You might be able to save a buck or too as well if you get an Euro/UK goon to gift if or you.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Stelas posted:

Long version: Check the link Amppelix just pointed out, I and a couple other goons dunked a bunch of stuff there.

Short version: You dodged a bullet if you got the PC version, which fixes so many things that you can pretty much just wander into the game how you like and have fun. It's basically Saga Frontier just with an army: a good 70% of the gameworld is optional.

Also keep the wiki closeby at all times. You'll be glad you did.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The GOG thread talked about it not too long ago since it came out on there. I've been meaning to get back to it but my party keeps getting wasted at The Sabbat and I've been too lazy to just run away and come back when I have more potions.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today I picked up Depths of Peril from Steam since it was the daily deal. It's an earlier game made by the guy that made Din's Curse, which I had heard of before but not this one. If you want to give it a spin, it's only $3.75 through midday tomorrow.

For anyone that has played it before, I could use a bit of advice. I have 5 other members in my covenant so far and a couple guard pets. I though I saw somewhere that your partners could go run quests and stuff independent of you but so far they've just been sitting around in the inside of my home.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It's not bad. Most of the general gameplay is similar to Diablo: you move through randomly generated lands and dungeons around your home village and find enemies to kill and loot to acquire. The real meat of the game is in how you go about completing it. There's other covenants besides yourself vying to take over the town and the objective to winning a game is to establish yourself as the strongest, either by wiping out the other covenants through raids or getting strong enough diplomatic ties with them.

The diplomacy part of the game is pretty cool. You can trade different things with other covenants in order to keep relations up such as influence (which you gain by completing quests), crystals (a currency generated via taxes paid to your covenant and are used for special items like guard monsters), or you can trade loot you don't need in exchange for money or other items. Other convents that like you or are trying to get in favor with you will occasionally offer you free items as well.

I'm playing on easy so it probably doesn't happen as much, but on higher difficulties the covenants get more aggressive with trying to assert themselves. Quests that the villagers hand out are first come, first serve for rewards and the same holds true for random adventurers that wander into the village that you have to do a quest for to convince them to join your covenant. There's other adventurers you can find out in the world but there's rarer to come by.

I'd say it's definitely worth the $3.75 while it's still at that price. My computer didn't have a problem running both the demo and full game but I've heard of some other people having issues for whatever reason, so you'll want to make sure you have none of those of course.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone plan on picking this up tomorrow?

If so give me your opinions. I've been keeping my eye on this one and I'd like some feedback before I sink money into it.

There's a thread for it. If it matters to you, it's made by Snowblind Studios, who did Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath back in the day.

I'm not sure what the most popular platform for it is gonna be but a couple friends and myself have it preordered on PC.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It was closed due to inactivity.

I still need to try out the DLC dungeons. And don't worry, it will get harder. You'll see.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've been curious about something for awhile. Why hasn't Square-Enix (or any other long-standing JRPG dev, for that matter) tossed a bunch of their older titles or remakes like those of the older Final Fantasy games, which have been ported to pretty much anything you can think of at this point, onto PC?

I know portable systems have been the aim of RPG devs for awhile now but I'd have to imagine bringing some stuff onto PC, either in some kind of emulator or taking a portable/console remake and adjusting things to make it run on PC, and tossing it upon a digital distribution service like Steam would get people interested in them.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

PCs are not a big thing in Japan.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I was thinking of something like the Genesis games that have been ported to Steam but those were done through another studio and not Sega themselves. It'd probably have to be arranged in some fashion like that and I'd doubt Square or whoever would consider that being viable.

I think it's more akin to wishful thinking on my part to see more console RPGs get PC releases but I think that ship sailed along ago.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 7, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

CrookedB posted:

Wizardry I-II-III: The Story of Llylgamyn for SNES should keep you occupied. There's an English translation patch. Highly recommended.

I only ever played the NES versions of Wizardry 1 & 2, I think I'll give this a shot.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I decided to give Neverwinter Nights 2 a spin, but when I go to create a character, no body loads to show what I look like. I already ran the updater to get it to the latest version. :confused:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is Tecmo still working on the Monster Rancher series or did they let that die a quiet death? I can't even remember the last game they came out with other than the the last PS2 one years ago.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

The most recent Monster Rancher game was Monster Rancher DS. It was game developed in 2008, but only localized in 2010.

How is that one? I'm already guessing like the other non-disc games that there's no way of getting monsters from reading DS carts.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Legend of Grimrock - beta trailer

Thing's lookin' pretty good.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What's my best bet these days for a grid-based first person dungeon crawler? I don't think I can hold out until Legend of Grimrock comes out next year. :ohdear:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've already played Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey, but those are good as well.

What about something in the vein of the Dungeon Master/Lands of Lore games? Anything modern along those lines?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's one I'm trying to think of that came out on PC a while ago, maybe about 10 years or so. First-person, single member party I believe.

E: Think it was a 2 game series as well.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 29, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crossposting from C&D, several RPG price drops on Amazon today.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP for $10.55
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride for DS for $16.97
White Knight Chronicles II for PS3 for $38.24
Nier for PS3 for $12.74
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals for DS for $22.48
Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle for PSP for $11.24
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen for DS for $10.96
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for DS for $12.74
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable for PSP for $19.22
Muramasa: The Demon Blade for Wii for $9.54
YS: The Oath In Felghana Limited Edition for PSP for $15.48
Ragnarok DS for $12.74
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter for DS for $17.13
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin for PSP for $19.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for PSP for $12.82

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So XSeed posted something... interesting on their facebook.

No idea if it's even a RPG but since they come up often in discussion here...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

XSeed announced their holiday sale today.

Also their puzzle from yesterday points to a... action-platformer about Japanese calligraphy? :psyduck:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I brought this up in the Steam thread last night but apparently the price for The Last Remnant went up $10 on there about a month ago.

How the hell does that happen on a digital distribution service? :psyduck:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I picked Resonance of Fate back up after having sold it awhile ago and I could've sworn that you can move around the weapon on the customization blueprint, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Troffen posted:

It's the right stick I think? It's been a while. I just remember I didn't learn about it until about 40 hours in.

Yes, that is it.

Feels good having triple-stacked sights on my guns just two chapters in. :golgo:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More Resonance of Fate questions.

1) For Charge Speed/Acceleration, which determines how fast your initial charge builds up and which determines how much faster you accumulate others in the same attack?

2) How do you change the color on terminals to something other than you activated them with? I cleared one using a normal energy hex but now it won't me attach any other colored ones to it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Is it wrong that I kinda liked The 3rd Birthday? Its plot was unbelievably lovely and the clothing damage system and costumes was incredible pandering crap, but I liked the combat. I had fun with it.

The combat wasn't bad and the DNA upgrade system was fun to toy around with.

Everything else though was there to kill any good taste remaining in the PE series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wendell posted:

So how many people are playing (or have even heard of) The Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragon's Odyssey? I am drawn to it by nostalgia for all the terrible Japan-only games I wanted to play back in 1997, since it looks exactly like a game from that era but was actually released a few months ago.

Also, that title is amazingly bad. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-LACFDO/the-lost-angelic-chronicles-of-frane-dragons-odyssey

It got a pretty middling review on RPGamer, not that I had heard of it until you brought it up. Gamersgate has a history of selling a lot of JRPGs like that for some reason.

In other news, I'm really hoping Resonance of Fate gives you something eventually that increases the random encounter rate. I just got to Albona where there's a ton of new gun parts, but most of them require components that rarely drop from certain enemies or aren't even carried by anything you normally fight at that point.