Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Miketopus posted:

Stop right there.

I wanted to love this game again after not playing it for several years. It's got a great storyline, excellent characters, and a setting that is simply outstanding. I'll definitely give you all of those points.

But the game is so balls-on-a-cheese-grater impossible when it comes to battles. I don't see how I didn't go (more) insane as a result. You have random encounters every five seconds no matter where you go, big actions take way too long to charge up and use unless you're high level, and bosses are always the same level as you. This was okay in Lunar, because your characters were simply stronger through leveling than without anyway, but in Skies of Arcadia it doesn't matter what you do. 85% of bosses after the first third of the game will decimate you, over and over again, until you tear out your hair. Oh, and 50% revival chance with basic revive items and spells? ARGGGGGGH. Prepare to spend eight turns trying to revive the same character who got insta-killed because there's only one item in the whole game that protects against it!

Ship battles were pretty sweet, though. That's what the entire game should've been.

They fixed the battles and just made the game overall better for the Gamecube port, so anyone looking to play Skies of Arcadia (which is excellent) should pick up Skies of Arcadia Legends for Gamecube and not the original Dreamcast version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU