Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been out of PC RPGs for about seven years now, and am just getting back in. I'm busy witching right now, but what should I do after that? Gothic 3? Something else?

edit: among PC exclusives, I mean.

Risen is good if you haven't played it on consoles (though the port was technically inferior). STALKER: Call of Pripyat is a great almost action-RPG, there are no actual stats per se, but there is gear collecting/management and dealing with various factions.

Assuming you didn't play Dragon Age on a console, you could probably play that. Though while it's really, REALLY technically solid, I honestly have a hard time recommending it. It seems at times to lack... something.

You should definitely get/install Oblivion for Nehrim, it's German RPG goodness, and probably one of the best free total conversion RPGs ever made.

If you're in the mood for Diablo-like rogue-likes, Titan Quest or Torchlight are pretty much your best bets. Titan Quest is a really good reinvention of the the genre, while Torchlight is a throwback to the original Diablo.

Recently there's been the two Eschalon Books, which remind me of GeneForge/Avernum with slightly better graphics and art direction.

And then there's King's Bounty, which is basically a turn-based RPG, with interesting combat. It borrows from Heroes of Might and Magic, but has it's own interesting RPG mechanics.

(I've also heard good things about Divine Divinity 2, but from loving the original, which you should play if you haven't, and going to Beyond Divinity, I've been reluctant to play it.)

rargphlam fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Divine Divinity II is currently $15 on Impulse, and I'm thinking about getting it. Mainly my question is should I wait for the edition they're putting out (despite it's lack of an American publisher) or is it worth the asking price?

I enjoy wonky hard German RPGs, but it really depends on how the wonkiness is present.