Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I wouldn't call Legend of Mana deep. There are lots of things to do in that game, but the battle system is just totally broken. I never, ever felt threatened by any enemy in that game, and magic is pretty useless. The pet/golem raising is all cool, though, and I still think Legend of Mana is worth playing for the beauty of the presentation. The music and artwork is fantastic to this day, and weirdly, the lack of a real central plot works for the kind of weird, fairy tale-ish world it has created. It's almost like JRPG Alice in Wonderland, where it's just your main character stumbling through a bunch of loosely or not related at all stories en route to the end and meeting a bunch of really weird people and monsters.

There are slave labor teddy bears with some retard language, a walking teapot, an onion dude, a cute looking rabbit who is actually a con artist rear end in a top hat, sentient plants, and loads of other weird poo poo. Some of the locales are really interesting too, like the flying dragon dungeon and the weird lamp-lit town with the aforementioned slave bears. It's not really a great GAME, but there's a lot of cool stuff to do and it's really pretty to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
When I made my not deep comment, I was referring more to the combat, but you're right that the story system can be really deep and hard to figure out.

I still maintain that despite having a complex system of skills and learnable abilities, that does not a deep game make if the core combat is so lacking in balance you have to beat the game once for it to become even remotely a challenge.

It's still a cool, underrated game though. The theme song from whenever the juggling monkey and his one-man-band friend show up is still really cool.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics has a really good story when it doesn't fall victim to the 'Western religion is literally the devil' thing, Planescape: Torment does some pretty fantastic dialogue, Nier actually manages to evoke some emotion and has some genuinely well-written moments, and that's all I can think of right now. It's funny that the genre is supposed to be story-driven, but like so many video games, the stories are mostly terrible with a slight sprinkle of good in some areas.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Man I am shocked at all the love Legend of Mana is getting, I remember when it came out it was completely torn apart because it didn't have a big angsty JRPG story or huge world map. Personally I think its the best game in the series, I love the ridiculous degree of customization and the short, mostly unrelated quests. A loving blast in coop, too.

It's just very charming. One of the few video games I've ever played that ever felt like it had a legitimately original vision in terms of its world and inhabitants. There are fairies, but even they are not very fairy-ish, and they get totally overwhelmed by all the strange original stuff like the ducks wearing military hard hats and throwing egg grenades.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I'm going to stop gushing over Legend of Mana in the general RPG thread, but before I leave, I'll let this get stuck in your head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGOW-cP6b0&feature=related

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
That Breath of Fire game looks so loving bad, why even call it Breath of Fire? I'd rather the series be dead than transformed into some generic online social rpg which will likely have billions of microtransactions.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Nier 2 info will be shown on the 29th of October at Paris games week. So...yessssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Any of you cowards playing Hylics 2?