Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

singe posted:

Since the Exit Fate thread is in archives, I figured this would probably be the place to ask. I just started Exit Fate and it's pretty good so far. I'm not sure if this is a game mechanic or something bugged out but I can't seem to find Cid, Rob, or Stromgaard after the Battle of Grunthill (Finally managed to get an A after 5 tries). I didn't have them in the active party prior to battle I guess the empty slot was taken up by Carson.

is this game actually any good? I recently finished Suikoden V and have also played and loved Suikoden I and II, supposedly this game is very similar to them but since it was iirc made by a goon I'm a bit suspicious of the quality of it

also posting to ask for general recommendations for PSX/PS2. I've read so many reviews but I kind of want personal opinions from real people. Preferably looking for something with an interesting and well fleshed out plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Suikoden V was ace :colbert:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

Have you played either of the Persona games? They're the first RPG's that come to mind that have a good story.

I've played 2 and 3, been holding off on the fourth because I got what I think is a major twist/reveal spoiled and it's made me less interested in it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cake Attack posted:

I'd say play it anyways. One of the best things about Persona 4's plot is the characters, and so it should still be worth playing. For curiosities sake, what was the twist you found out?
the identity of the killer

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah i'm sure I would have a great time with it really it's just never been high up on my list since the spoilers

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Coolio posted:

The identity of the killer is 100% obvious anyway if you aren't a big loving idiot. Gee who could it be, it's definitely not this guy who keeps showing up randomly to "accidentally" feed the kids info and has no point otherwise in the story.

ah well in that case I guess it doesn't really bother me like I thought it did, so thanks

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nathilus posted:

Play Persona 4, rear end in a top hat. It is really good. More fun to actually play than P3 in my opinion, with a slightly weaker story and slightly stronger characters.

I never actually even finished Persona 3 :smith:

started playing it again though since I did really like it and got quite far.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
not really played the Tales game a lot but I'm led to believe that all of them have very standard, predictable RPG plots.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I bought the sequel without having played the original, played it for about an hour and have not touched it since. Supposedly the original is really great, I'd still be a tad wary of it probably having aged awfully though. Old 2D games are often fine but early 3D is pretty awful

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

S-Alpha posted:

I've been rummaging through old game stores, and I found a copy of Ehrgeiz! You know, the lovely fighter with FFVII characters? Haha, why did I buy this again?

'Quest Mode'

...Right. It's a lovely randomly generated loot game. But why the hell can't I stop playing?

Seriously, though, I have no idea why the hell I've sunk so many hours of my life into this. It's obviously bad, but at the same time I find it compelling and quaint. drat this game.
I remember having a lot of fun with that game tbh, you're right that even though the Quest thing was bad it was somehow very playable. And the fighting was never as bad as some said. I like the guy who shoots rockets from his knee

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Verbal posted:

So, I've been playing that Everlong game previously mentioned in this thread. What a miserable slog. I've tried to stick with it, but man is it awful. This game has the longest, most drawn out random battles I have ever seen in a video game. The ATB moves at a snail's pace, and it seems every enemy gets two turns for every 1 turn your party members get. The reason this game supposedly has 100 hours of gameplay is because each random battle seems to take about 3 minutes on average, and dungeons are padded out to be about 2 or 3 times longer than they should be.

Also, my entire party got put to sleep by some mushrooms in a forest and then I got a game over before I could do anything. Apparently this is the only RPG in the history of RPGs where being hit with a physical attack doesn't wake you up from sleep. This game is like an SNES-era Final Fantasy, but with a bunch of frustrating tedious bullshit tacked on.
why are you playing a long, poo poo game? Play something good

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

McGuirk posted:

I remember crying when the king in Lufia 2 dies. I feel no shame about admitting this.

this isn't a very good use of the spoiler tag

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

Off topic but is your custom title from All about Lily Chou Chou?

sure is :respek:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I started playing RPG Maker again

time sink :ohdear:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
idk why there's such a need to properly define what makes a game a jrpg or not anyway, you can pretty much tell at a glance if a game is a jrpg in almost all cases.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doc Hawkins posted:

The case with "JRPG" is a little murkier, I think. Not everyone seems to be in agreement on what is and isn't one?
disagree, I already said it but I think in almost every case it's perfectly obvious if a game is a jrpg or not just by looking at a screenshot or video. I find the whole argument quite unnecessary when it's generally completely obvious what is and is not a jrpg.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm not saying that your judgments aren't self-consistent, I'm just saying that not everyone makes exactly the same judgments, or else there would be no disagreement on the matter.

I struggle to imagine how someone would not find it completely self-evident though. The argument to me seems to be about defining in strict terms something which is quite clear to begin with. I mean, if I list some games that I think are jrpgs I strongly doubt anyone is going to disagree with me because of some random criteria they think doesn't match up. Stylistically jrpgs look and feel like jrpgs and I'm pretty sure that in reality that is all that people go on

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I had a strategy guide for FFVIII back in the day and I really loved it, didn't especially use it much for the walkthrough but there was all kinds of cool info on secret draw points, the card game, refining poo poo and the sidequests and stuff. It's all stuff you can get online but it was really nice to have the actual guide

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yep, I remembering buying the guide around the time the Xbox was coming out. Finding out that half the drat guide was on some website that didn't exist anymore was the most infuriating feeling.

aha seriously? that's laughably bad

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Fifteenth Pen posted:

A friend of mine sold me his copy of Xenogears and included the strategy guide with it. It was pretty well produced, and a necessity for actually beating it without having to spend way too much time trying to figure out some of the codes needed for doors and such in the last section of the game. (Though I swear I remember there being one that even the strategy guide said to just brute force. Heh.)

I've noticed RPG strategy guides often have a lot of cool extra info on the characters and such that you wouldn't likely learn otherwise, which is neat.
If only they'd released Perfect Works in English :allears:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ineffiable posted:

But on the other hand, part of the appeal is having something to physically thumb through and look up stats and charts.
that's pretty much all of the appeal for me, if I wanted to read it on a computer then gamefaqs is just fine. Kind of like how owning a CD or record is way better than just having mp3s, and I'd never buy music if it was download only

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

TheOriginalEd posted:

Luca Blight is seriously one of the best villains of all time.
in jrpg world yeah, he's fantastic. I hope they make Suikoden 6 :ohdear:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HondaCivet posted:

I'm new to Suikoden, what would be a good one to start with? Or are they all good (except IV apparently)?
the first two are great and really short even if you want to get the 108 characters. The only other I've played is Suikoden 5 which looks and feels quite a bit like Suikoden 2 but is obviously updated in a lot of ways. It's also about two/three times longer

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tae posted:

I don't really enjoy games that gently caress you over with a bad/mediocre ending unless you do very specific things, which put me on a guide addict.

I never want to go through a non-108 Suikoden V again. God drat it.

yeah for all the Suikoden games I've looked up all the missable characters and made sure to get them, most annoying part of those games really. Started playing Exit Fate and I like that none of the characters in it are missable

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if it actually is good, Suikoden 5's medium makes pretty much every scene with any voice acting in it at all absolutely unbearable. Pretty much the only two VAs who didn't suck in that game were for Ferid and Georg, and they were probably the same person.

I played the undub and the voice acting was fine, don't know what the English speaking VAs sound like though.

also yeah the music is for the most part unremarkable, still loved the game though. Even the "painfully slow start" people go on about I found really interesting and fun

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Quarex posted:

You can skip scenes, and the voice acting is not just acceptable, it is phenomenal a fair amount of the time. I have absolutely no idea what the hell is wrong with people if they have a problem with the voice acting. Not every minor character has a good voice actor, but some characters like Zoltan may actually qualify for inclusion in a "best game voice acting ever" award. I still think of Zoltan fondly because his voice actor did such an amazing job bringing his personality to life. Same with Geralt, even though I am sure people hated his voice. Female characters did not fare as well overall, though, I suppose.
those aren't characters in Suikoden 5 :confused:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
anime isn't french, it's just the english word animation but shortened

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I played and completed Grandia 2 on PS2 and it was fine. It was a while ago but I can't really remember any technical issues with it, it's perfectly playable and is a very fun game.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

What's the original's gameplay like? I own it on PSX but never played it. I always intended to dig it up and play it but was always afraid of it being inferior to Grandia 2.
It's pretty much the same iirc. It's been a long time since I played either, but my feeling is that the battle system in Grandia 2 is just slightly updated if it even is at all. Everything else is standard jrpg fare with regards to gameplay, but the original Grandia really is brilliant and better than Grandia 2 if you can get past the dated graphics.

and we literally just had this Persona 3 discussion, read the last couple of pages to see what people are saying. Personally I think if you have FES already there's no reason to play the PSP version instead

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

Yeah I was going off the discussion from the last page and was asking for an elaboration. Or was there more discussion before that?
whoops, it's actually in the SMT thread where all the discussion was. here's a c+p of one post

FES has:
animated cutscenes, 3d models during cutscenes, an afterward/epilogue/expansion pack called "The Answer", and party members that are controlled by AI and can be given "Tactics" that work questionably well.

P3P has:
A female protagonist (complete with rewritten events and different dialogue choices), all of the gameplay enhancements given to FES, except "The Answer, Persona 4's combat improvements (i.e. full party control, defend, and an option to remember tactics sets), a visual novel style during cutscenes (portraits and backgrounds) and references to Persona 4 (one small one on the male path, one very large one on the female).

just play FES tbh, more of a proper game and you already own it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

U-DO Burger posted:

Fei, Citan and Emeralda. Billy's got nothing on her speed and stat growth. :colbert:

quoted for pro tier party

gently caress I love Xenogears, possibly my favourite game ever. Really want to replay that now as well, so many games so little time :smith:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

As for as characters go, what do you guys think of Chu? I remember her being pretty insane because her "gear" form stats are based on her normal stats so using items to boost her stats permanently also made her gear form insane. Plus she doesn't need fuel.

one of the worst things about the game for me, just didn't seem to fit with the setting and tone at all really. Pretty easy to ignore though, and there are so many loving badass characters so I just forgot about her

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

casual poster posted:

Thats kinda the reason I made this thread, just for people to ask for help on various RPG's and talk about new RPG's coming out.

Thanks for the xenogears advice guys, not going back to get the ring since it seems it wouldn't be able to help me all that much.

yeah it's a bit unnecessary to start again just for one item. Enjoy the game though it loving owns

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
you could read the plot synopsis on wikipedia up until it says you have to find Terra, probably the easiest thing really

edit: whoops, beaten

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HondaCivet posted:

Can someone explain the relationship between Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to me? I'm trying to read about it and it sounds like it's kind of a sequel but not really, and the main character is different? Are you supposed to play both or just one? Not that it matters since there aren't any EP remake plans right now. :\
It is a continuation of one story I think, the main character in EP is one of the characters in Innocent Sin. And EP was released in English for Playstation so you can now play both with official English translations

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
i've always wondered where exactly the El Nido archipelago is supposed to be in Chrono world, considering you can fly around the globe in Chrono Trigger and it doesn't exist anywhere

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Chrono Cross is a great game :colbert:

it's definitely the style and the music that push it there though, both were utterly beautiful

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Chrono Trigger isn't a big game though, unless you do New Game+ to get loads of endings. You can complete the main game in like 30 hours, which is relatively short for a jrpg

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
maybe play Alundra, it's a very good Zelda like game for the Playstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnuMYYd6Ok

fun game, puzzles can be quite challenging at times but never overly difficult. The plot is pretty good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
i wasn't recommending it to the guy who wants a chill RPG, dude who wants an action RPG should like it though since it is a very good one