Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Jesto posted:

Everlong, in my original post on page 1. You can disable combat altogether by simply toggling them off. No random battles, no fixed battles, boss battles you can skip if you want - though without the reward. You can go start to finish in the game without ever entering a battle.

All that leaves you with is doing the many dozens of puzzles, which can likewise be skipped, hunting animals for meat to sell and experiencing the plot, however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgNG00XNywY
Why are you shilling this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Mortley posted:

I'd like to find a turn-based RPG that I can enjoy, as somebody who's always thought "well, I just don't like RPGs." I have a DSL and Wii, but I'd especially like to play a GBA game.
The grindiest game I've ever enjoyed was Circle of the Moon, which isn't bad, I realize. I used to watch my buddy play FFT and enjoy the discussions but never wanted to dedicate the solo time to it. Um... I liked Pokemon when it was still black and white?
It's a bit of a silly recommendation request because I don't have strong preferences, but I guess I'd like to play a portable time sink other than action/adventures like Metroid or Castlevania.
I might give up on turn-based games and play Secret of Mana via VC or emulation since I've never tried it. Is it "deeper" than Zelda or CotM?
No, Secret of Mana is a lot less deep than any Zelda or Castlevania. It's basically a beat em up with stats. However it is a great game and quite a lot of fun, better than Circle of the Moon at least.

Do you have a flash cart for your DS? If so, then download Mother 3 for GBA (it's not available to buy in America, but you can download the Japanese ROM and the translation patch). It's basically the best portable RPG of the decade, it is turn based, and is not very grindy at all. It does require a bit of strategy later in the game but nothing insurmountable.

If you don't, then check out Chrono Trigger for the DS. Everyone likes Chrono Trigger.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 5, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Tranax posted:

Has anyone here played through the romhack Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes? I'd just like to know if it's worth playing. So far I've only gone through the intro and went to Leene Square only to find a bunch of NPC's that still had placeholder text. It's the only build I can find though.

I'm still interested just cause of the amount of TLC that seemed to be going into it before the C&D, but if it's just a dozen hours of placeholder texts and renamed enemies gently caress it.
There's actually an updated version floating around called Flames of Eternity. I haven't played it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Speaking of charm, what are some other delightfully charming rpg's? The only one's I've ever liked enough to complete were Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy IX, if that gives any indication. I can play pretty much anything that isn't on PS3 or 360 or too new on PC.
Hello play Mother 3.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Xenogears' disc 2 storytelling was hardly brilliant. From what I remember, it seemed like they had all the gameplay planned out, the bosses you'd fight, the dungeons you'd traverse, etc. But when they lost the time/money to actually make the dungeons, instead of just condensing the story to the relevant parts, they summarized the gameplay you were missing out on and had the main character sitting in a chair going "And then we went into the mystic cave and fought a big monster to get a key to the robot factory where we did some jumping puzzles and fought the robot guardian" and all sorts of other poo poo unrelated to the plot for like two hours.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

casual poster posted:

Alright cool, thanks for the information. I think it is time to upgrade my TV also! Any excuse will do.
You could also use a tv tuner card for your computer and play it like that, I'm sure my LCD screen has a much better resolution than my old tv.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm looking for an RPG that has a setting kind of like GRRM's ASoIF. By this I mean: magic still exists but it's limited i.e. no magic missile every two seconds, political intrigue (backstabbing courts are fun!), it has mostly not annoying characters, human-dominated world, grey morality, and zombies would be a cool.

I can think of a few examples that have been pretty close: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragonage: Origins, Mount and Blade. Does Thief: The Dark Project count as an RPG? Probably not, but I'll put it up here anyway.

None of the above games match exactly what I describe, but they come pretty drat close.
You are looking for exactly The Witcher

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Wheeee posted:

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.
Anachronox is a good old PC sci fi rpg.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gilg posted:

I've got an itch for a traditional class-based RPG, preferably for the DS but possibly also Wii or PC. I'd like one where you "master" classes fairly often and then move on to others. Like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea without the tactical aspect or Dragon Quest 9 but with more frequent "class mastering". I might be forgetting how it plays, but I think Final Fantasy X-2 is the most recent example of that type of game that I've played.
Check out Final Fantasy 5 for GBA. It takes kind of a lot of work to master a class, but you will definitely be switching around often.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gilg posted:

I have a DSi, so no GBA for me, but I'll look into Final Fantasy 3. Thanks.
I don't really recommend FF3. It's ok, but really simple, and has a lot of artificial difficulty in the form of cheap enemies and very few save points. You don't really level jobs in any meaningful way, either - there's a cursory job level thing that increases your stats, but I'm pretty sure that you don't learn new spells from increased job level, which makes mastering jobs pretty unrewarding.

Look into Final Fantasy: The Four Warriors of Light, it's not a remake of anything but a modern game with classic-style aesthetics and a very robust class system. The only thing I don't like about it is that your party switches around way too much based on the plot, which makes it hard to get into a groove for more than a couple dungeons, but also ensures you will be switching jobs frequently. It is also difficult, but I feel the difficulty is a bit fairer in this game than in FF3.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Verbal posted:

So, I've been playing that Everlong game previously mentioned in this thread. What a miserable slog. I've tried to stick with it, but man is it awful. This game has the longest, most drawn out random battles I have ever seen in a video game. The ATB moves at a snail's pace, and it seems every enemy gets two turns for every 1 turn your party members get. The reason this game supposedly has 100 hours of gameplay is because each random battle seems to take about 3 minutes on average, and dungeons are padded out to be about 2 or 3 times longer than they should be.

Also, my entire party got put to sleep by some mushrooms in a forest and then I got a game over before I could do anything. Apparently this is the only RPG in the history of RPGs where being hit with a physical attack doesn't wake you up from sleep. This game is like an SNES-era Final Fantasy, but with a bunch of frustrating tedious bullshit tacked on.
Quick rule of thumb: If a game is made in RPG Maker, it's going to be extremely bad. I can think of maybe a couple exceptions but as a whole you ought to stay away from that whole genre.

Verbal posted:

I stopped playing it, just wondering why it got so much love in this thread because it is awful.
I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was just one guy repeatedly hyping it up. And if it wasn't, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 16, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, Alpha Protocol doesn't exactly have exceptional gameplay, but it totally fulfills the RP part of RPG better than pretty much any game I've played. Seriously worth a look.

Other than that, I've played a couple decent RPGs lately. Dragon Knight Saga for PC, and Radiant Historia for DS.

Dragon Knight Saga is a freeroaming RPG (Gothic style, not Oblivion) with a gigantic handcrafted world to explore with lots of secrets, shitloads of unique equipment and abilities, and tons of stuff to do. Also you can turn into a dragon and shoot fireballs at things, and read the mind of any NPC. It's not really innovative, but it totally excels at being a freeroaming Gothic-style RPG and is worth plenty of hours of entertainment.

Radiant Historia is a 2D JRPG that looks pretty generic at first glance but is probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The plot and gameplay heavily revolve around time travel; there's this genius system where you can revisit literally any point in the plot, try to change something, and see how it affects the future. It feels like a spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger. The battle system is also one of the most fun I've seen in a JRPG. Enemies show up on a 3x3 grid and a big focus is manipulating their position on the grid or using moves that hit a row or column or what have you to maximize your damage output. It's also got a FFX style turn based system where you can see the succession of turns, except you can swap turns with other party members or even enemies in order to provide yourself with a bunch of turns in a row to you can bust out a big combo. It feels like the essence of a tactical game distilled into an RPG battle. You can also skip every single bit of dialogue or cutscene if you so choose. Seriously a good game, and I generally hate what the JRPG genre has turned into.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
What was so bad about it? How do you mess up Ys-action-RPG + Lufia puzzles?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The only things I remember about Lufia 2's plot were that that one chick who helps you is a Sinistral, and that Dekar is a badass.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Play Ys: Oath in Felghana.

Then, play Lufia: CotS on the DS and find out that it runs about half as smooth as YS so it feels like your constantly chugging along everywhere you go. Also, that it has a lovely camera system which doesn't work well with its constant platforming. The attack animations lock you in, so when your attacking an enemy and one is coming up behind you, you better not have loving pressed attack again before you could have seen it (too bad you already have) because now your locked in and can only watch as the enemy slowly lumbers towards your rear end and hits you because you can't escape. And last but not least, the art design was loving horrible.

I probably found Lufia was more terrible than a lot of others because I literally had JUST finished Oath in Felghana. Oath is a masterpiece. Runs smoothly, looks great, a little bit of platforming here and there but a static camera makes sure that it's not a problem. On top of that, you can always break out of your attacks at any time you feel like because they happen so fast because you need the reflexes of superman to dodge some of the poo poo they throw at you. They nailed the "action" part of Action RPG.

Lufia is dog poo poo compared to Oath in Felghana and I simply could not play it after having played Ys and sold it after I realized that.
Oh I've played Oath in Felghana. As you say it's a drat near flawless game. I should really finish it one of these days, I almost did but got stuck on some rear end in a top hat demon guy in the castle.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I tried that patch too and gave up in the Kero Sewers. Really a shame, SMRPG is such a great game but a bit too easy, a patch that'd actually make it reasonably challenging would be so nice to play. Instead he just made it ridiculously balls to the wall hard. Why are pretty much all game fan hacks so needlessly difficult? I think the only half decent ones I've played were for FFT and Super Metroid.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Limorkil posted:

Reading this thread I have some interest in a few RPGs I have not heard of, like Kings Bounty. If anyone knows of a RPG that meets some of the above criteria (notable atmosphere) then I would love to hear about it.
Games you really ought to play:
Mass Effect, the first one, the second is good but is more of a linear corridor shooter than an RPG. The first is like Super KOTOR. Very atmospheric Speaking of which...
KOTOR 2. You said you only played the first. KOTOR 2 is very good and has a better storyline. You need to get the PC version and fanmade restoration patch, the base game has a lot of content cut.
Planescape: Torment, I know it's on your list but you need to play it.
Fallout series. 1 is classic and very atmospheric but clunky and hard to get into. 2 is probably the biggest and best, but the setting takes itself less seriously. 3 is literally Oblivion with guns. Like Oblivion, I spent a lot of time on this game, but it wasn't really worth it. New Vegas seems Oblivion-y, but it's really more about following a vaguely linear path through the towns and quests rather than exploring the wastelands. New Vegas is the best modern Fallout, especially if you like a creative story. Speaking of Oblivion..
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge. This is a total conversion mod for Oblivion. It's basically an entirely new RPG that uses the Gamebryo engine. You need Oblivion installed to play it, but it's absolutely nothing like Oblivion in any aspect other than the graphics and engine (which weren't Oblivion's strong points, but still). You can basically think of it as a first person Gothic 2. It plays almost exactly like a Gothic style RPG, with a small handcrafted world full of unique loot, NPCs, and dungeons. The dungeons are especially cool, they're peppered all over the map like in Oblivion but are actually interestingly built and have bosses guarding worthwhile loot at the end. Made by a team of Germans (so you know it's hardcore), it has German voice acting but English subtitles. Really cool game for a free one.
Risen is pretty much Gothic set on an island with pirates and poo poo. Great game. The controls aren't nearly as bad as Gothic but your character is pretty bland, though the world is full of life.
Dragon Knight Saga is Gothic but you can turn into a dragon. The setting's about as generic as it gets, but the game is really fun.
Avernum/Geneforge/Avadon These are series of games from Spiderweb Software, perhaps the last modern holdout of infinity-engine style RPGs. The games are all VERY oldschool. The battles are turn-based and on a grid, like Final Fantasy Tactics or a slower paced Baldur's Gate. The Avernum series is a remake of an older series called Exile, they're party based RPGs where you explore around inside a giant prison cave. The Geneforge games mostly about controlling a single PC in a vast creative sci-fi world. I haven't got far into Avadon yet but it seems like a faster paced and streamlined version of Avernum.

edit: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - the base game in NWN2 is poo poo but this expansion is great. Gameplay is the standard D&D turn-based stuff but the world, story, and characters are very interesting.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

casual poster posted:

Haven't played it, but I read that Chrono actually speaks in this version, which, I'm not that cool with.
Also I think the C&D was true, they were using the same sprites as the original.
The C&D was totally made up. Proof:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/f3n5h/never_before_leaked_chrono_trigger_crimson_echoes

quote:

You know what? You're right. This is totally stupid. I'm using my alt account for this (buu700) as proof of the validity of my admission.
Yes, I faked the C&D. Hey, it worked out well, didn't it? We got a ton of publicity, an article on MTV, and cult status. That's a win if I've ever seen one.
Obviously, yeah, I'm also buu700. Couldn't leak the game as myself, could I? ;)
The Flames of Eternity crew are good guys, but their vision for Crimson Echoes is flawed; I can't just let them take credit for my work like that.
I will be issuing a public apology on the Chrono Compendium website tomorrow morning. I now realise how foolish and uncalled for it was to be so dishonest with my fans.
Best Regards,
ZeaLitY
P.S. Keep your posts up; no sense in throwing away credit for your impressive investigative work.

As for the quality of the game itself, it's a rom hack. What do you think?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Not an action RPG, but Kirby Superstar is like the best multiplayer SNES game ever and it's about as long as an RPG.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Radiant Historia.

Seriously. That thing is king poo poo of RPG mountain on the DS and you need to get it. It's Chrono Trigger with more focused time-fuckery.
This needs to be said every time someone asks for a DS RPG recommendation. Really great game, it's like the DS's swan song RPG.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

hey...can anyone recommend me any games that are similar (if they exist) to Seiken Densetsu 3? I've played Terranigma, which while awesome in its own right, really felt more like Zelda with levels/grinding attached.

I never tried any of the new mana games, though what I've heard of Children of Mana makes it sound terrible and I don't want to touch it.

I've played: Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, some of Final Fantasy Adventure.

Consoles I have: ps2, ps3, DS-lite and a pretty up to date gaming pc.
Check out Soma Bringer for DS. It was only released in Japan but has a fan translation, so you're going to have to either emulate it on the computer or use a flash cart. I didn't like it as much as SOM/SD3 but it's quite well-regarded and in the same particular vein of action RPGs.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 8, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Ys: Oath in Felghana is another really good one. PC, in Japanese, with a fan translation.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Protip: Magirock is reusable. Everyone misses this and it makes the game radically easier once you know it.

What do you get for doing that anyway?
I'm replaying Terranigma right now, and THIS. Magirock is everywhere, rings are super cheap, there's no reason not to stock up before you leave a town. Instead of whittling down a monster's health through repeated melee attacks and eventually having to use a healing bulb, just one shot it and every enemy standing near it with a fire ring you can buy for 5 gold and a magirock. Having a wider variety of attacks definitely makes dungeons less tedious as well, you're always on the lookout for opportunities to use your rings.

Resurrecting Mu lets you get a decent free spear pretty late in the game. It's far from the best spear or anything so it's pretty inconsequential.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I would really love to play Valkyrie Profile again as I remember it being one of my favorite games as a kid. I just don't think that, as an adult, I'd be able to stomach the many looooooong expository cutscenes every character gets when they join. The first one, with Arngrim and Jelanda, is like 45 minutes. Why didn't that game have a skip cutscene button.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

drat, they never could surpass that feeling the first Grandia had.
You know I never played that back in the day. Worth playing now?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well there's indie PC rpg Exit Fate if you want something that's pretty much exactly like Suikoden. I think that's your best option.

SNES rpg Breath of Fire 2 has a really cool town-building and npc-recruiting system. It was innovative as all get out when it came out. The game is pretty ruthless and grindy by today's standards though but I like it a lot.

There's the Dark Cloud games which is basically rpg city building on a much larger scale. Not exactly Suikoden, but I find it scratches that same kind of itch, "my base is so much bigger now!" I guess this is more Actraiser inspired than Suikoden though.

Dragon Warrior 7 has a pretty complex town building thing. I don't recommend playing the game because it is somehow more ruthless and grindy than BOF2, it's also super long and poorly paced.

Other options include Skies of Arcadia for DC/GCN or Terranigma for SNES, they have limited building mechanics compared to Suikoden but they're there if you love upgrading places in your RPGs.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Also you press start to skip cutscenes
This is absolutely critical to enjoying this game

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

vencha posted:

So I've never played an SRPG for longer than about 1-2 hours max (FF Tactics). Reading everything here and in a few other threads has piqued my interest. I'm wondering where I should start. I own FF Tactics on the psx, but I've heard the PSP version is the one to get, should I repurchase it to play as a handheld or stick with the psx version? And is FF Tactics the game to start with or will it not matter too much where I start? Disgaea and Soul Nomad sound very interesting to me as well.

If this was already asked somewhere, sorry about that. Thanks!
It's up to you which one you get. Both have basically the exact same gameplay, though the PSP version was rebalanced to be slightly more difficult. The PSP version also has animated cutscenes, a new script, a couple new jobs, and two secret cameo characters (one from FF12, the other from FFTA2). If you decide to emulate the PSX game on your PC, you can get a patch to import the new script, which I feel is pretty much the biggest change you'll notice from the original. Obviously the PSP version is fancier and better but you will get 99% the same experience if you play the original.

FFT is a very good starting point for SRPGs I'd say. It's actually rather simple compared to the mindboggling complexity of some other SRPGs, and it doesn't hurt that the game is classic Square at their best. Since you seem to have a PSP I would also recommend Jeanne d'Arc or Tactics Ogre. Tactics Ogre is a classic old game that's a bit more complex than FFT but not a lot harder. Unlike TO and FFT, Jeanne d'Arc is a modern game designed with modern sensibilities which may make it easier to enjoy for a first time SRPG player.

Disgaea is most definitely not a good starting point, I haven't played Soul Nomad but its also by Nippon Ichi so I'd probably skip it. Nippon Ichi games like Disgaea are basically for people with Asperger's and have lovely anime plots and really obsessive gameplay. It's good for some people but not as your first SRPG.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 15, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I hated DA2 and couldn't get through it. Awful characters, awful story and pacing, and otherwise OK gameplay ruined by the inexplicable design decision of waves of enemies in combat.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Ys Origin english patch is out. Haven't tried it yet myself, but here it is:
http://www.figlidigaucci.eu/index.php

Direct downloads:
http://www.mediafire.com/?da6jmv7j4d59dv1
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=94C11KV5

Edit: Oh yeah, you need to be running the special version of 1.1.0.0 that you get when you install the bonus disc. Otherwise the patch won't work apparently.
This is pretty big news guys. You all should be playing this if you even slightly like action RPGs. This game is a true hack and slash classic, basically an improved version of Oath in Felghana. But this time with multiple characters to choose from, each with their own unique gameplay style! Been waiting for this news for literally years and now the game is just as good as I was hoping.

You can buy/find the game on your own, but I found a link to the 1.1.0.0 patch disc, which doesn't appear to be legitimately available in America, here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zcmww5
Just copy the files into your Ys directory after the game is installed. If this is :filez: let me know and I'll take it down, but it's just a little patch (that enables a fan translation) so I don't think it is.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 29, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
In Exit Fate, I am almost totally sure that the dudes on your side who run off early and get themselves killed do not count against your rating. The first time I did that battle I just beelined for the commander after those two units died and got 100% in keeping my dudes alive but like 10% in dudes killed. Might be remembering it wrong, but its easier to get a good ranking if you don't worry too much about those guys.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

On a separate note, I've also just started playing Suikoden 5. My previous experience of the entire series was with Suikoden 4, tragically. It's really, really. Like really. loving amazing what a step up it is- I remember hating 4 so much (that loving boat). I've already sunk around seven hours in it, and while the main plot is just now kicking into high gear, I've had fun the entire time so far (minus a few terrible characters and character designs).
You should really play Suikoden 1 and 2 first. At least Suikoden 2. A bunch of characters in 5 are from 1/2 and they're better games anyway. 1 is a little clunky but more than playable, 2 is still a masterpiece of an RPG. They're short (for PSX JRPGs) and you can play them in an emulator. You have no excuse.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Wendell posted:

Man, and here everyone was trying to leave the 2/5 connections a secret for the guy.
Sorry for ruining your connections. I'm not going to spoil anything like Levantine rather rudely did above, but there are several characters from Suikoden 1/2 that also play a large role in Suikoden 5. When you see them in 5 they basically go "Hey remember me from Suikoden 1/2??" but when you see them in 1/2 they're just some random star. That's why I think it's better to play the older games first.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone plan on picking this up tomorrow?

Looks like it should be called Lord of the Rings: Wrath of the Witch King :rimshot:

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 31, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Here's a pretty good article about Xanadu Next: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xanadu/xanadu2.htm

Looks like a pretty awesome game. I love all of Falcom's poo poo recently, just finished Ys Origin (which was also recently translated) and it was great. Only problem is that their games are a bitch to get in America through legal means.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Okay, seems like I can play most of the game as I want and just make sure to do/not do a few specific things here and there so hard mode it is. Thanks. Anything gameplay wise I should know?
In battle, you can get extra experience if you hit airborne enemies, or extra turns if you hit enemies knocked to the ground. So there is some strategy to the battle system instead of just hitting all the buttons.

In addition to useful active skills like Guts, Auto Item, or Counter, dont forget to spend skillpoints on passive skills like Attack Up, makes a huge difference. You should focus on hero value for people you're going to send up first though.

When you get a new item, before you use it, see if it can be transmuted into anything interesting. If you're playing on hard you can upgrade your transmutation skill later.

A lot of weapons you can find in the world can break easily. Everything you materialize is unbreakable.

Press select in battle to see the menu. This is the only way to use healing spells. Try using attack spells from here too and see what happens.

This is the guide you want to get the best ending

Contrary to what others have been saying, the bonus dungeon is pretty cool I think. You get several new characters to play around with and there are some fun boss fights. The best part is the secret characters though. It's not really hard to gain access if you're doing all the dungeons anyway.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 15, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
2 is actually a shitload more polished than 1 and I recommend starting there.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
BG2 was a god drat amazing game. Probably one of the best games of all time and easily one of my top 10.

However, the whole D&D combat system was awful, and horrible game design. Everything about it, the weird stat allocations, the turns and rounds, the multi/dual classes, the proficiencies, the spell system, the spell protections system, armor class and THAC0, everything, just supremely bad game design. RPG systems should be complex but not completely arcane and mystifying. Luckily the game itself was not that hard and there were plenty of NPCs to fight for you and you could get through just fine with a basic unkitted single-classes character. But all that other poo poo, jesus christ I'm glad they don't use D&D as a basis for WRPGs anymore.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You only NEED three weapons, one of each damage type (Blunt/Piercing/Edged) all the other stuff like element and creature type affinities are just bonuses on top of that.

Also your buff/debuff spells are super useful and can turn any fight in your favour, even if you're using the wrong weapon that does ~1hp a hit normally.
This is the best advice for Vagrant Story. You can completely ignore the enemy/elemental affinities for the whole game, that stuff is there for sperging out on in New Game+. All you need are one weapon of each type (edged, blunt, piercing) since every enemy is weak to one of these. Maybe a good Silver weapon as an all purpose for fighting various undead. Any functionality gained by obsessively maintaining a cadre of affinity weapons can be equivalently gotten from doing simple things like using buff spells and swapping out gems based on the situation. Even with just 3 weapons, you'll be doing a lot of equipment swapping.

Its important to note that this advice is objectively correct. Edged/Blunt/Piercing is by far the mathematically most significant determiner of damage and due to the balanced affinity system it is basically impossible to create a 'perfect' set of weapons. For example, you might want to make an anti-skeleton blunt weapon or something, that makes perfect sense, right... but that will make it bad against another enemy type, which you will more than likely need to use blunt weapons against sometime in the future. As well, most enemy classes are composed of enemies that are weak to a variety of damage types. So your awesome piercing lizard spear might become useless when put up against a lizard boss that only takes damage from blunt (which you've made useless on lizards by using it exclusively on skeletons or whatever). Basically, the point is, don't worry about any of this crap or you will find yourself sperging out to an extreme for literally no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Route b is really just route a except with a few extra cutscenes and the ability to hack stuff. Its not as impactful as route b in the original nier, that's where they introduced that new character right? and changed the whole story? Route c gets a lot more interesting. I would just rush to it if you dont have any sidequests you're working on. Its definitely not worth re-exploring the whole world and talking to all the npcs again on B like I did looking for differences or new dialogues. Don't skip cutscenes, though, even if you have seen them before.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 3, 2017