Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I'm liking The Spirit Engine 2 a lot, but I just got to the Seabunker area and am having a lot of trouble with some of the encounters on normal difficulty, as in I can't get past the second group of enemies at all. Am I supposed to have done a bunch of level grinding (I'm currently at 41), or am I just playing poorly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

niggapolis posted:

Are you using the smokescreen ability? your gunner in the front spamming smokescreen constantly can withstand a lot of pain. If you are really stuck on an encounter switching your gunner and your knight around so the one in the front spams defensive abilities and the one in the back spams aoe while the priest heals can take more normal encounters at that point.

For some reason I hadn't thought to use that or the immobilizing one. Making progress now!

Also everyone should try out The Spirit Engine 2.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

niggapolis posted:

Seriously, everyone should play this. The story is nothing spectacular but the setting is interesting, and the dialogue is pretty well written without falling into the trap of being overly verbose. But what really sets it apart is the incredibly tactical and fast paced combat that doesn't resort to forced grinding to generate challenge. Not to mention the customization, with multiple characters to choose from the start, a diverse number of skills for every character, and tons of items that have interesting trade offs. It really is a pretty good RPG.
I had my doubts until this: https://wi.somethingawful.com/74/74c7a3e1be12a82050c31c53c8203b0eaf6a3b52.png

While it's nothing revolutionary, there's just nothing that stands out as bad about the characters or dialogue, and that's really nice and refreshing to me.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Dragon Quest IX is what first comes to mind for me when you say "charming RPG". As long as you like puns a lot (like, really a lot).

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

VDay posted:

DA2
I went into it without having played the first game for more than a couple of hours or hearing any hype, and I was way too busy enjoying the combat (on the highest difficulty setting, where there's no button-mashing) and characters to be bugged by anything other than the map re-use. A friend of mine played through Origins and had the same experience. I'd say it's worth a rental or whatever for people who like the combat system.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Arcanum is a pretty good game that I haven't seen anyone mention in a while. Steampunk Fallout.

Regarding Alpha Protocol, I went through it on Recruit with shotguns and assault rifles, without putting many points in either, and I only found combat to really be an issue on one of the bosses and maybe one time with regular enemies. Just keep your armor upgraded and you don't need to abuse Chain Shot or be super stealthy.

Lemur Crisis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 11, 2011

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Is there a way to skip dialogue scenes in Oath in Felghana, or does the talking at least mostly stop after the start of the game? It's kind of painful so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I played through Earthbound recently and it was totally still enjoyable. The only really dated thing is the inventory management, and as I recall that doesn't really get better in Mother 3 anyway.