Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

After seeing so many "Recommend me a RPG" thread turn into general discussions about RPG's in general, I decided to make my own thread for people to ask their questions in.

Heres something from wikipedia about RPG's in case you're an idiot:

Wikipedia posted:

Role-playing video games (RPGs) form a loosely defined genre of computer and video games with origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, borrowing much of their terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one or several adventuring party members fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

I figure we can use this thread as a place to find out about new RPG's coming out, to recommend games, ask some questions relating to a RPG game, WRPG vs. JRPG, and so on.
I'll start it off.
I have 3 RPG's at one time. The games are white knight chronicles, Folklore and resonance of fate. Which one would be best to start

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Current RPG threads:
Baulder's Gate 2
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Disgaea Megathread
Dragonquest Megathread
Etrian Odyssey III
Fate/Extra
Final Fantasy Megathread
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy XIII
Megami Tensei Megathread
Nier
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 3 Portable
Suikoden Megathread
Tactics Ogre
Tales Of Series Megathread
Xenoblade Chronicles

casual poster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 13, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah I just decided that I'm going to play resonance of fate starting tonight, the battle system really intrigues me. White knight chronicles is going to be returned, and folklore will be my side game, because I've played some of it before and I can just use it as brainless fodder.

Luminous Cow posted:

Who's the idiot now? :colbert:
No it never said that I dont know what you're talking about!

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 1, 2010

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Endorph posted:

:smug:

your is the new you're

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Resonance of fate is set in the future. I haven't gotten that far in it, just started tonight actually. Give it a look.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MeinGott posted:

I have always wanted to play the Final Fantasy games but never do since I will play an RPG then put it on hold for a while and pick it back up. Is there a specific FF I can do this with and not be: "Duhh what the gently caress was I doing?", or does that really not matter?

E: spelling is so hard :(

Why not try playing a DS game? Dragon Quest 9 and suikoden tierkeis both have logs where you can just look back at what happened recently. That was a major selling point for me when playing those games.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Mandrill posted:

Everyone should play Nier. Probably the best unique rpg to come out in a long time.

Nier is probably one of the only RPG's I like on the next gen consoles. Story is great, music is even better.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah man, spoiler Terrienigma. I literally just started playing it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just picked up the limited edition of Altier Rorana, will check back in once I get a good impression of it.
The reviews for it have been great however.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Meme Emulator posted:

I mentioned it once already but nobody bit, has anyone played Atelier Rorona? I was considering starting a megathread for it but I really know nothing about the game.

Just started playing it, about an hour into it. I would appreciate a megathread on it.

EDIT: I really have no idea whats going on in the game, the text is way to small on my 25' tv. Is there a walkthrough that could explain somethings to me? I still don't understand synthesis. I just throw somethings in the pot and see what happens.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 3, 2010

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Bean posted:

Also: Zelda. RPG or action game?

Holy crap I knew this would come up. In my personal opinion it is just a adventure game, others will probably disagree.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Ugh, I wish someone made a guide on Aletier Rorona. I can't read the drat menu.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is DOA like oblivion? I really hate wrpg's but people have been pressuring me to play it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

TheOriginalEd posted:

Edit: also didnt see it in the thread, and am by no means suggesting it. Merely mentioning it. Sacred 2 in the skein of Diablo clones and isometric actiony RPG things. Its got a still waters run deep skill system. Most of the combat arts you get in the game are going to be the same ones you use throughout, its what you do with them that counts. Theres no MP, all combat arts and aspects run on cooldowns, all buffs lengthen the cooldowns when active. You take skills every few levels that do anything from reducing all cooldowns for a certain aspect or raise the power for them, to lowering the damage you take in pvp.. Cast one combat art from an aspect and the other combat arts in that aspect will get locked out for the duration of the cooldown too unless you stick them in a combo. You can even take skills to lengthen the combos and make them more powerful. Skill points put into the skills for a related aspect will unlock modifiers for the combat arts and do crazy things to them like making casted buffs into permanent buffs or adding more fireballs. You can eat more runes to power up a combat art but it will also lengthen the cooldown significantly. So you have the choice uber powerful skills that you can cast once a century or mass aoes you can fire off quicker than a regular attack. Its pretty easy to screw up a character if you dont know what youre doing and the game is hardcore repetitive and the story is balls to the wall lame from what Ive seen but if you skip the quests and just go slaughter the country side some fun is to be had.

Plus this game is less than twenty bucks at gamestop. My buddy said he had a great time with it. I may pick it up for some co-op with friends.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
holy gently caress does someone have a link or something that could help me in alteier rorona? I'm just not getting it for some reason.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

It's really the kind of game that lives or dies on its characters. It's kinda hard to say if you'll really enjoy it, but I just know that man did I dislike most of the cast.

Wow i cannot play this game. First off I have no idea what I'm doing, second off I can't even read anything in the menu, the font is too drat small.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ImpAtom posted:

What's giving you trouble?

Sadly, the font is indeed a gigantic and epic pile of poo poo, so nothing I can answer will help you there.

Really whats giving me trouble is where I get my ingredients. I know I have to get them in the woods somewhere, but my party consists of two people who suck at giving damage. Should I level them up a little bit? Also the whole synthesis thing is still a mystery to me. If I squint really hard I can kind of make out the abilities of each item, but I'm still not sure how exactly it works. I just got my first assignment from the castle and they want me to make them some coal or something, but I have no idea where to get the recipe for that at.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I'm pretty sure tales of the abyss may be my next game, I might even start it when I get home if atelier doesn't start working out for me.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
What exactly do you mean by charm?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I think I may also be interested in the Ar tonelico series.
My adventure into the Atelier series didn't go so well, mostly because I had no clue what I was doing. I bet if I started with a easier one I would do better and get into it more.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I think.I may wait for someone to post a guide for altier rorona before I sell it, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Well, what's got you specifically stumped about Rorona? I've put about 4-5 hours into it, and can answer questions you may have about that.

Basically everything, mostly the alchemy. I'm playing this on a 24 inch tv and I can't read the tutorials because the font is so drat small.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Well, the problem with not being able to read things means you're going to have a problem with alchemy as well because you need to be able to read the smaller descriptions of things.

For example. One of the first items you need to make has to have any item that has the trait "Gunpowder" for existence. So in order to find out which items works, you have to look up the item and see which has the Gunpowder trait, like Beehives for example, can be found in the forest area and have that trait.

You have to mix specific things to get what they ask. Sometimes it's extremely specific like them wanting an exact item, or just wanting something like a plant and any plant will do.

You then bring this to the pot and when you have the required items you mix them together to create the item you want. When you do this, you A) lose how many days it takes to create how many items you want (which is indicated at the bottom of the screen, which if you couldn't read the tutorials, I don't know if you could read that, as it's even kinda small on my 37 HDTV) and you also need to have the amount of HP needed to make the item.

Like I said before, if you have a problem with the text in general. Playing the game is going to be a nightmare. It's an easy game to understand, however, you just got screwed on terrible choices on the Dev's/Publishers side. Which is no fault of your own. But of course, if you have the extra cash, maybe it's time to upgrade TV's, no? :D

Alright cool, thanks for the information. I think it is time to upgrade my TV also! Any excuse will do.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah so disgaea 2 is pretty drat good.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I just started playing 2 as well, never played the first one though. From what I've heard they have more classes and the items are easier to customize, but I have no idea what that last one means.

Btw honda, I sent Rorona out today.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm off and on playing a very odd PS1 RPG on the Japanese PSN store. It's called "Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke!" which is something like "Climb over my corpse and go!"

As the title suggests, it is built entirely around death; You control a Heian-period family which has been cursed by a demon with abnormally short life: No one will live longer than about two years.

In that two years you have to build each new generation of people into a super deadly anti-demon RPG commando team by grinding like gently caress. Your people also can't breed like normal because of the curse, so instead you have sex with GODS.

Your individual people continually die like gnats (you'll lose three or four per hour of play time), but they can train their descendants and pass on their equipment and stuff. The game has no time limit, as long as you have some people alive.

The game has some great music, and a lot of really bizarre humor thrown in. The actual RPG gameplay is simple as hell, but I keep on pulling it out every once in a while. Also it has a weird cover that gives no indication of what it actually is:

Sounds really interesting. I wish i knew japanese now

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ineffiable posted:

So anyone want to talk the PSP? Its pretty much the perfect portable RPG machine.

I have on my PSP:
Persona 3 Portable
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Cladun

and I want to get Disgaea 1 and 2 dispite actually beating them on the PS2.

I'm currently playing disgaea 2, story sucks but the gameplay is awesome. I actually enjoy grinding for some reason.
How's Cladun? I heard it was basically all dungeon crawling.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Started playing devil summoner, pretty good so far. Will give my impression after I pass the ten hour mark.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, and I thought I was the only one too. You clearly know a lot more about it than me though, I haven't finished it once yet, on the second to the top difficulty/speed level.

Is there a translation of it?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Speaking of indie games, whatever happened to that bob rpg being made for the DS? Last I head the guy locked himself in a room when nintendo wouldn't give him the software to sell it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thanks for reviving this, I was afraid too.
I started playing Ys 7 and it seems to be great so far. Lots of grinding to be able to beat the bosses, but besides that, great.
Also playing Demons souls on my ps3, great game as well.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Someone discussed the game Over My Dead Body in this thread much earlier on, and it raised my interest in it.
Looks like they are remaking it, can't wait to play.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/30/over-my-dead-body-then-and-now/

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ntan1 posted:

On the subject of JRPGs, and with the eventual (likely) release of both Xenoblade and The Last Story, I might as well comment about my experiences.

I'm a heavy JRPG (and really, a heavy RPG player in general), but as time has progressed, I've been able to put up with less and less bullshit. Let's face it: most RPGs from Japan have become stale, and although Final Fantasy XII may have had some degree of success, many of us feel that Square Enix isn't doing a good job anymore.

Try Radiant Historia on the DS, great storyline and the main character isn't a little whiny bitch, he's actually a dick. Check it out, its very good.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

TheOriginalEd posted:

I plowed everything in the game and the Cloud of Darkness killed my party in 2 rounds. I put the game down and never went back...

I'm pretty sure your supposed to loss in that fight, than a scene happens and you come back stronger.
I may be getting it confused with 4 though, I played those back to back.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The game seemed promising to me (never played it before, had great reviews) but the battle loading times was atrocious, also when you click the auto-battle option the AI is just retarded, stop using MP-attacks on easy enemies!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Amrosorma posted:

Does anyone have any ideas? I want to throw money at loot-driven games :(

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but try phantasy star portable, very loot-driven.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, I could have mentioned that I guess. The load times in this game are nothing at all.

oh awesome, I'm definitely buying this than.

I'm on the last chapter of Radiant Historia, great game. The battles are awesome and strategic.
Besides Trails, I think the next game I might buy is FF4 complete. Does anyone know if saves from the original can be used in the After Years section? Or can I just skip the main game and go straight to the new content (I've already beaten it a few times).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

glod posted:

FF4 Complete Collection does not pull saves from the original FF4 to Interlude or The After Years. Each game's save data is its own thing and they don't interact with each other. You do unlock artwork and stuff for completing the original FF4 though, so if you're interested in that, you'll want to play it again anyways. I would say to do it for the new graphics and things, but most of the enemies are re-used in The After Years anyways.

It was my first rpg (the DS version (I just got into them like 5 years ago)) so I may just play it for that reason. The story was great and the characters memorable.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Star Ocean has a good ARPG battle system, I've heard its similar to the Tales series, haven't played one of their games though.
Radiant Historia has a fun almost SRPG system where you move enemies around on the field to try and line them on top of eachother so you can line combos, really fun.
The Persona series has a good battle system because it relies heavily on magie/buffs/debuffs and isn't your average "press attack 4 times" battles. I've had my character at max level and still not been able to beat enemies relying only on physical attacks.
Eternal Sonata has a good system as well, and a unique block option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?