Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Can anyone tell me more about xenogears battle system? From what I've seen from some gameplay videos on youtube is that it "seems" like you input a set of codes to get some type of attack? Am I seeing this right?
I think this may be my next game as long as it doesn't have a traditional battle system (after playing radiant historia I am not ready to go back to a reg system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Meme Emulator posted:

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.

PSP has a great list of games.
Give the Star Ocean series a try, the story is kind of meh but the battle system and item creation more than make up for it. The game is also easily broken.
Persona 3 Portable is probably the best game out there, I can't stress this enough. Great story and a great battle system (they actually use buffs and weaknesses actually do something!).
Lunar Silver Star Harmony is a great nostalgia kick, good story, pretty normal battle system and good visuals. Do yourself a favor and don't get the UMD though, the loading times are horrible.
Final fantasy 4 complete just got released, which is the full game plus a additional game called After Years. I haven't played this version yet, but FF4 is one of my favorite games.
Final Fantasy 9 is available from the store, I would definitely pick this up.
I'll probably come up with more later.
But if there was one game I could play forever, it would be persona 3 portable.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Wow, xenogears does sound incredibly interesting now. Can't wait to get to battles, only about 30 mins in so far.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Alright so I didn't grab the ring from citan's garden cause I was looking for a large garden, not a small square. The gears just attacked the village and I finally have control of Fei again. Am I still able to get the ring or should I just restart? The pay off for getting the ring seems worth it, but i'd have to go through a good amount of cutscenes.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ragequit posted:

drat we need a thread like "Tips for playing old games/RPGs! Spoilers = ban"

Thats kinda the reason I made this thread, just for people to ask for help on various RPG's and talk about new RPG's coming out.

Thanks for the xenogears advice guys, not going back to get the ring since it seems it wouldn't be able to help me all that much.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Stelas posted:

let's positive thinking.

I've seen this many times today, is it some type of in-joke that I'm not going? Bad translation or something?

EDIT:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

HondaCivet posted:

Can someone explain the relationship between Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to me? I'm trying to read about it and it sounds like it's kind of a sequel but not really, and the main character is different? Are you supposed to play both or just one? Not that it matters since there aren't any EP remake plans right now. :\

From what I've read, Eternal Punishment is the sequel to IS, but they basically have the same story?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Lone Rogue posted:

It got average reviews and some people hate it but as an old school RPG fan, I got Glory of Heracles for $10 and enjoyed it, even if it was a bit easy. I'm playing through Dragon Quest V right now and it's loving perfect for my tastes. So I guess it all depends on what you like in your RPG.

Never played Glory of Hercules, but I know it got bad reviews. From what I read, its a mediocre generic RPG. Definitely pick up Radiant Historia for the DS, probably the best game for the system, my favorite atleast.
Also, the translation for Soma Bringer has been done for sometime, give that a look. Great action battle system and brilliant graphics from Level 5.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Black Stones posted:

Soma Bringer was by Monolith Soft. Which is why we never got it.

Damnit, your right. Can't believe I mixed that one up.

EDIT:
Here's something I found off neogaf, with all the Chrono Trigger talk recently I decided to throw it in.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/219504/roleplayers-realm-iv-the-chrono-trigger-controversy/

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Doc Hawkins posted:

...You know, almost all humans literate in English are familiar with that line from MacBeth. Quoting it in full context is not a cool way to say that you're unimpressed with something, especially when that something is a japanese vidcon. In fact, doing so is a trite cliché well worth avoiding.

The thing that irks me the most is the fact that the two guys defending it, haven't even beat it yet. If you loved it so much, why didn't you complete it?
Don't get me wrong though, its a awesome game.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Haven't played it, but I read that Chrono actually speaks in this version, which, I'm not that cool with.
Also I think the C&D was true, they were using the same sprites as the original.

EDIT:
Speaking of indie games, whatever happened to that "Bob's RPG" game? I remember that Nintendo wouldn't give him the dev kit so he couldn't put it onto a cart and he flipped out on a live video feed and trashed his studio. But than there was some talk of him teaming up with a cycloDS ripoff company and releasing it as a ROM on the drive, and there was alot of controversy around that. Than things just sort of died off.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 28, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I was atleast in my 50's to early 60's on the moon. Once Rosa learns reflect its alot easier.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

PlasticPaddy posted:

poo poo, I didn't do any of those sidequests.

There's a hidden cave in the eastern continent under the water that is the best place to grind. It's been awhile, so I might be confusing this with 3 though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone know any good RPG's for netbooks? Specifically a Asus 1000he.
Someone mentioned that Torchlight could be played on it, any other suggestions? Btw I'm talking about new games, it can play fallout and Starcraft just fine.

EDIT:
Also, any opinions on Under Siege that just got released on PSN? Looks interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khmL32S7ltg&feature=related

casual poster fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 5, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

bewilderment posted:

What other games like this are there? I'm aware of X-COM but honestly it feels a little too difficult. I've played one of the Shining Force games but it didn't feel very polished. I've played a bit of the new King's Bounty but the battlefields in that game are small and not really what I want.

Valkyria Chronicles has characters that aren't expendable. It's not a "true srpg" though because it doesn't take place on a grid, but there still is alot of strategy needed in it. For instance you have a set amount of steps you can take, how many shots, etc. The first one has a really great storyline also, however it can be very anime at times. Battle takes place on a field where you control the character from a 3rd person view and position them on the battlefield. The 1st one is definitely worth a playthrough.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Barudak posted:

All of the other Castlevanias post SOTN pretty much.

I never played the SNES ones, but I've seen some LP's, but don't they the same mechanics?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
When you start 5, on the ship, you need to talk to EVERYBODY before the story progresses. I would of been on that drat boat forever if I hadn't read a few tips first.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone looking forward to Dungeon Siege 3?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Nier blew me out of the water. I picked it up around release after reading through the thread about it, and I do not regret it. The storyline reminded me why I loved RPG's so much and the music with the scenery was just incredible. I remember riding the boar through the vast plain with the volume pumped all the way up, and it just feeling so great.
I really wish the gameplay was better. I mean drat, atleast swing the sword faster if I level up.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Defiance Industries posted:

I kind of liked how you swing faster as you increase combos.

When you get to The Aerie and you're racking up 200+ hit combos easily, it's like "RAMPAAAAAAAGE!"

I totally forgot about those combos. I used to love running around in circles in the plains and just getting a whole group of the little monsters (I forget their names at this moment) together and eventually turning around, running into the middle of them and just launching huge combos.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

VDay posted:

Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3? It just sort of...starts, tells you to create a bunch of guys, gives them some skill points, and tells you to go. I have no idea what I should be doing with the skill points I have, for example. Should I just run around and get a feel for how the game works and then restart when I inevitably realize I hosed something up?

I remember Atlus released a few youtube tutorials on EO3 for exactly what your talking about. Try googling it.

Atlus is actually pretty awesome in that they do that for almost all of their games.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

it's like the DS's swan song RPG.

That's a great way to put it.
I actually enjoyed the game so much, I stopped before (what I think to be) the final boss fight and just started grinding. I'm near level 70 and haven't touched the game in 2 months time, kind of just don't want it to be over.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

(Mass Effect can shove it, a third person cover based shooter with dialogue trees and stats for weapons is still a third person cover based shooter)

I wanted to add something like this to the OP, but I figured it would have a backlash. But I really consider mass effect and the like to be just adding RPG to their description so they can gain some "nerd points." But in everyother RPG forum I've been in, there has always been a long thread arguing about meta-rpg's and how their just as good as the other ones, so I decided to just say gently caress it and not even bring it up. YMMV however.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rascyc posted:

You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone willing to watch a 14 minute on youtube outside of an LP.

Especially with the guy talking so slow and dreary.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

CommissarMega posted:

Also, have some Fortune Summoners stuff from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/04/fortune-summoners-secret-of-the-elemental-stone/

Apparently it's a kind of 2D RPG; as someone who's played and enjoyed the Spirit Engine, I have to say, I'm a lot more stoked about this than I would've been.

This game looks awesome. First time I've ever heard of it and I'm pretty excited. I've never played a side scrolling RPG (only got into the genre about 4 years ago) before. There's a trailer at this link: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/03/carpe-fulgur-summon-fortune-summoners-as-their-next-japanese-indie-game/

Apparently theres a series thats influenced by the Mad Max movies called Metal Max, and the 2nd one is being redone in HD: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/05/metal-max-2-remake-reloaded-for-nintendo-ds/ Anyone heard of this series before?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Mind if I ask what site everyone uses to get RPG news? I usually read siliconera, than rpgfan and rpgamer. I'm just wondering if theres any better sites out there since the way I found this was typing "rpg news" into google a few years back.

EDIT: Forgot to add RPGland, they have a nice little section called RPG Deals which shows RPG games that are on sale at various locations. Update every Monday.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 8, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

CainFortea posted:

I only use something awful dot com.

Never heard of it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SpaceDrake posted:

And XSEED's released the PSP version, on disc and PSN, with a cleaned-up version of the fan translation (with aid from said translators, no less). If you like action-RPGs even a little, there's no reason not to get it.

Which is to say, get a PSP drat it. It's pretty much become the main RPG machine in Japan and if you don't own one you are going to miss out on a fuckton of excellent, exclusive games.

Don't forget about the DS, it has just as many. Handhelds are the consoles of this generation (RPG-wise atleast).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Thanks for that, explains a lot.

I'm now very interested in how Dragon Quest X is gonna do on the Wii if the market is so invested in portables now.

The Wii is a horrible choice for that game to come out on. I really cannot remember any game, or rpg for that matter, that has come out for the Wii that I have been excited about. I never browse through the Wii section and have a craving to buy a game. The only reason I think its coming out as a exclusive for the Wii is because the DQ franchise wants to remain loyal to nintendo for some godforsaken reason. I can't wait for this game to get ported.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Lone Rogue posted:

Loyalty even makes little sense. Just release it for 3DS!

I just hope it comes here.

Wow I completely forgot about the 3DS. I guess they just don't want to sell this game.

Btw, best buy is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on all their new games. They have some good limited editions if anyones interested.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm taking a guess here, but if I remember correctly the Wii was at its peak (it was doing really well in 2008 at least) when DQX was announced, so that might have had something to do with it.

Yeah but it didn't have a devoted fanbase. The Wii was a fun thing for families to get because it was fun all around. Their was never anyone who stayed outside a video game store waiting for the next Wii Fit to come out. The Wii was the console for everyone, not the console for fanboys.
However I wouldn't doubt it that some people will be buying a Wii just for this game (and I guess DQ swords).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

BigRed0427 posted:

I got Radiant Historia.I don;t quite understand the story's explnation for why events that happen in one timeline effect events in the other.

Oh man this bugged the hell out of me. I tried to bring it up a few times in the Radiant Historia thread but I always got the "its just a video game" spiel. Basically, it just happens, so deal with it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Welp, I'm addicted to final fantasy tactics. First SRPG I've ever really liked. Anyone have a site that could direct me in the right direction for jobs?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
When you say grind for a skill, what exactly do you mean? An example: I want all of my characters to be able to give out potions when I need them. So I change them all to chemist until I level up his job, than switch than back to what they originally were. Is that what you mean?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Vrikkian posted:

Gah, this FFT talk is making me want to go and play through the PSP version again. What an utterly fantastic port. Those cutscenes are gorgeous.

Man this game is great, haven't been this addicted to a game in awhile!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Holy crap, amazon is offering some awesome deals on portable RPGs this week:

http://rpgland.com/rpg-deals/rpg-deals-814-820/ posted:

Chrono Trigger (DS) $15
Dawn of Heroes (DS) $10
Dissidia 012: Duodecim (PSP) $20
Dragon Quest IV (DS) $20
Dragon Quest V (DS) $20
Final Fantasy IV (DS) $15
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection (PSP) $20
Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light (DS) $15
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (DS) $15
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) $20
Kingdom Hearts: ReCoded (DS) $20
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PSP) $20 regular; LE is $28
Lord of Arcana (PSP) $15
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) $15
Phantom Brave (PSP) $15
Sands of Destruction (DS) $25
Tactics Ogre (PSP) $15
Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP) $22
World Ends With You (DS) $15
Ys: Oath in Felghana (PSP) $15 regular; LE is $20
Ys Seven (PSP) $15

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So I've been ignoring news on Grand Knights History, but these two trailers sold me: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/26/a-much-meatier-pair-of-trailers-for-grand-knights-history/

Battle system looks awesome, graphics look amazing.

Too bad there's no news of a english translation :(

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Rasamune posted:

Wow. It looks like Ogre Battle plus Unlimted SaGa minus terrible.

I'm in.

Turns out the battle system is turn based, not action based (like odin sphere) as I originally had thought. But still, definitely going to buy it. The screens look beautiful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425898

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

So if you've played this game before you probably remember how great the combat was. Go play it again. It's even better than you remember.

If you haven't played this game before, get it. Just get it.

I trust Melvin's advice, just ordered from amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

vencha posted:

So I've never played an SRPG for longer than about 1-2 hours max (FF Tactics). Reading everything here and in a few other threads has piqued my interest. I'm wondering where I should start. I own FF Tactics on the psx, but I've heard the PSP version is the one to get, should I repurchase it to play as a handheld or stick with the psx version? And is FF Tactics the game to start with or will it not matter too much where I start? Disgaea and Soul Nomad sound very interesting to me as well.

If this was already asked somewhere, sorry about that. Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you, always trying to get into srpg's but just never being able too. FFT is what eventually got me into the genre (however I've only played that game) and I think I might pick up diseaga 4, too try some more.