Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Healbot posted:

Luminous arc is the embodiment of all that is anime and chock full of tropes. Please don't misdirect your fellow goons into buying those pieces of poo poo.

:( Maybe thats why I never finished it then? I don't know, all I remember is the gameplay and that there was a witch with really big breasts.
Yeah, its all coming back to me now :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I have to say, I have been touring the national parks throughout the states for the past month and a half, seeing some truly breath-taking sites, doing things I will never, EVER forget. Everytime I get out of the woods and back to having internet access, I check back into this thread, and all I want to do is sit in front of a TV and play whatever RPG I'm doing at the moment. Ah well, thank goodness for emulators!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone have any good recommendations for RPG's on a android phone? For my personal recommendation I suggest Zenonian 3, its a decent, colorful ARPG. I don't remember much of the story (most of it was played in 5 minute segments on the toilet) but its definitely worth picking up. I got it when it was free, I think I heard mentioned before that they were going to start charging for it, not sure if thats still going on.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
EDIT: Whoops, pressed enter twice.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thanks for the info Rascyc, I checked it out and it seems worth it.

Alright, so I've been playing Bastion a lot for the last day, its a very bare-bones RPG (actually not one at all really) but goddamn am I a sucker for cel-shading. The narration in the game is something I thought would get annoying, but I began to enjoy it after a bit. It was like Morgan Freeman was watching me play over my shoulder, narrating each level. So anyways, the reason I brought this up is because I wanted to suggest to anyone with a DS to play Soma Bringer, one of my favorite games for the DS. It only got a Japanese release but there's a fan translation that is 99.8% complete (I think they're only missing a one or two item descriptions). Anyways the story is about that Soma, the energy that powers all the machines/etc., has become disrupted by these beings that came from another planet and you have to go investigate it, normal bullshit.
The game has a whole shitload of classes to choose from, basically all the normal ones you would expect in any RPG. The battle system is action oriented, and each button is assigned to a certain move you can do (much like how Folklore's control scheme was). You get special abilities, certain 'break' mechanics and all that good stuff. This was, by far, one of my favorite games for the DS and you all should check it out.

There's a pretty decent wiki for it here.

English subbed trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJjVzcZ-KY

Are we allowed to link fan translations?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

softcorps posted:

I'm busy enough with Secret World as it is but... I'm planning ahead. ... Right?

Crimson Gem Saga is decent as well. Its got some good graphics, its menu based combat (I think theres some cool break/block things thrown in there too, its been awhile since I've played it). The story is just bleh (someone steals all the crystals or something) but its worth playing, if theres nothing good around.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is the first White Knight Chronicles worth playing? It came free when I bought the 2nd one. I remember it getting some really bad reviews. I was thinking that if I really liked the 2nd, I'd try out the first, but is there any story continuity or anything?

I remember a few years ago, when WKC2 was first being mentioned, they had plans to make it so that you had to have a WKC1 clear save before you could start the 2nd. Seemed like a horrible idea.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
White Knight Chronicles was not that great. The thing is, I knew drat well going into it that it wasn't going to be for me either. The graphics are pretty horrible, and coming from Level 5 I was disappointed. Combat system is pretty meh and cut scenes, at least in the first few hours, were way to plentiful. I can see why RPGamer gave it a 1.5, however, other posters in here have mentioned it being worth it, so take that into consideration. If anyone wants a copy, for cheap or trade, just let me know.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
For Final Fantasy 3, is there anyone whose supposed to have specific jobs? I remember in my first playthrough I made Refia my white mage (which is kind of sexist) but I can't remember if it was my own doing or plot forced?

Btw, the ff3 android version is pretty good, I'm pretty sure its the version that was released for the DS. I wish it was ff4 though, much better story.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Coolcool. I forget, does Refia leave for any period of time??

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

What about the Dragon Quest series?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Weren't people excited because their gimmick was that they released it only as a Genesis game?

I remember hearing, at least when this thread talked about it, that most people hated it because of this exact reason. It's a horrible idea from a business perspective, they're limiting themselves to gamers who still have a working genesis laying around.

In recent news, I accidently picked up Gungnir thinking it was a different game (no internet until recently because of the hurricane), rpgamer gave it a decent score, anyone else like it? I'm probably going to play it anyway, it's just not at the top of my list. I've never played anything in this series before.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Ni No Kuni got a lot of press back when it was announced, rpgamer wouldn't shut up about it and it had some good talk in this thread (it had its own thread but only got a few pages due to it being a import). I remember they had a really cool anti-piracy method where they included a 70 page art book with the game certain "spells" (?) had to be looked up mid-game. Seemed very cool to me. It's not my style of game anymore but this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The book was a bonus in the deluxe edition of the DS game, I think. Just a nice thing to have as a quick reference. It's in the collector's edition for the PS3 version too (hence why I'm considering it)

Hmmmm, I wonder why I thought otherwise? Anyways, I'd want the book anyways. Deluxe edition it is!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Francois Kofko posted:

Forcing you to look stuff up in supplemental material to play the game is a dumb gimmick that was old when I was 6. You shouldn't be forced to go to the PS menu and open the 70 page art book to play the game.

True, but for some reason in my mind, having 2 amazing studios (Level-5 and Studio Ghibli) doing this makes it alright in my mind. Something about the amount of work that went into this just makes me go "ok, you all deserve to get as much money as you can from this."

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hmmm, I wish I could see the graphics better, it doesn't seem up to par with how I see Level 5's graphics as being. Still, unique gameplay so I'll have to remember this, I'd dig a game like that.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Hocus Pocus posted:

Bought a Vita, and someone recommended picking up Trails in the Sky. Never heard of it and it looks like any old JRPG except it has kind of a steep price point, should I just have faith and jump in?

Hell yeah, it's gotten a lot of good coverage here and I it's one of one of the best games for the PSP (maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

OddObserver posted:

It is, however, well-executed, which actually counts for a lot more.

I am having so much fun with this game. I haven't played like this since the first Dark Souls.