Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

The games themselves were popular among leftists for an anti-capitalism message (I think?), so they found it particularly vexing.
the anticapitalism angle but also basically all the female character designs were very sensible, there were a couple like, 'sexy' characters but most everyone was wearing suits and labcoats and stuff, and the female cast were given a ton of emphasis and stuff to do, they distinctly weren't written in teh way a lot of female characters in niche nerd stuff are. like even in the mobile game, all the characters are kind of a dick to the player self-insert and the one woman who goes out of her way to hype you up and praise you is clearly doing it insincerely. combine that with the female cast being mid-20s to late-40s, and a lot of guys who are kinda beaten down and sad, and you get a series with a big female fanbase. so uhhh, this didnt go over well, to put it mildly. limbus company is still doing okay money-wise but it basically killed the fanart community stonedead. like hundreds of fanartists nuked their accounts in response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, was that the source of the loving insane "a finger near another finger is secretly small penis mockery" thing?
that's an older thing. that was the symbol of an extremist feminist group from the 2000s/early 2010s (that basically no longer exists) and they did explicitly state that the symbol represents korean men having small penises. this of course turned into gristle for witchhunting anything remotely resembling that, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the limbus company drama was started by them doing a summer event where a character was wearing a diving suit instead of a Sexy Bikini. weird korean nerds got mad about feminism. the character artist was a guy. so they just went after the CG artist, who is a woman, and dug up a single tweet from a decade ago where she said she RT'd a random extremist feminist saying creepshots were bad. ergo, she is an extremist feminist and must have her life ruined.

The situation in Korea is, extremely bad, with regards to things like that. Like women have been attacked in public for having short hair and half the news time response was a discussion on 'well, does having short hair mean you're a feminist?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a reason a lot of female korean artists move to china or japan to work. like a lot of genshin and star rail's art teams are korean women. and how often in your life do you expect to hear the phrase, 'i moved to china/japan to escape sexism.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those videos are an okay summary of things that have happened but in some places they sort of agree with the anti-feminist dudes or conflate things that shouldnt be conflated in a way that seems to reinforce their point. not in a way that makes it seem like the dude secretly agrees with them more just trying to explain things in a way that makes sense but just 'making sense' gives those guys too much credit, if you follow me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

last night i fought the one off boss in tales of rebirth who is named dirtnel, with the power to manipulate dirt, who attacks you with mud golems and keeps working the word dirt into every sentence, and when you beat him he shouts "I'LL SEE YOU IN THE NEXT DIRT-WORLD" before killing himself with a boulder

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats what i said

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

It rules that all the cool stories in phone games are gated behind the most miserable gameplay out there

tbh, not really, a lot of them are fine. limbus company is just bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radia posted:

Oh I think I missed some side quest stuff, do I permanently lose access to any of that if I don’t trigger them by a certain point?

abyss has a ton of that yeah. most of its just side stuff though. theres one sidequest that helps sell the effects of a later plot point a lot better, but its also one of the most annoying to trigger. personally id mess around with sidequests a bit but it isnt worth like, getting obsessive over ro anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the learning abilities from weapons is the entire reason why vesperia's combat sucks because there's a ton of random crucial gameplay features you can just not learn or have to sit with the same weapon on for 50+ fights to learn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yea but also the games kinda balanced around the mid battle swapping so do that more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

It was pretty good in Arise since the shockwaves and sword swings are different hitboxes. It is pretty funny to me that a move called Majinken/Demon God’s Sword/Fist is the piddly starter move you’ll hardly ever touch and not the penultimate mid-lategame move you’d expect.
This led to the very funny situation in zestiria where they wanted to use an arte that's so emblematic of the series that it's instantly recognizable as the big super move and used..... beast?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be like if they made a street fighter game where ryu defeated the villain with his most iconic move: the donkey kick

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i will take a series of corridors over 99.9% of jrpg puzzle dungeons tbh. i play jrpgs for story and combat. if i wanted puzzles or dungeon crawling id play a different game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

armed fantasia will probably still have cool writing if nothing else, the writer's been active over the years and his work on symphogear was good. it got kinda messy in the later seasons but, messy in a "obviously had no experience with or expectation that he'd be working on a five season long anime across a decade" way and not a complete loss of creativity or identity way, there's fun character work and weird scenarios throughout it's just obviously something where all the planning was for one or two seasons and he was just winging it after that
also his dad died during the writing of s3 and he was in the hospital during s4 so i will forgive him for s3 being entirely about weird dad issues and s4 being really unfocused

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

why did kaneko go from writing science fantasy cowboy games to writing a super sentai anime about a team of lesbians teaming up to kill an evil japanese grandpa who fought in world war ii and is still strong enough to perform high powered karate attacks

because he wrote the nanoha psp games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

after wild arms xf he left media.vision to form his own company, with craft. witchcraft are the developers of the psp nanoha games, a tiger and bunny game, a kamen rider game, and a sentai game, all of which kaneko did writing work for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they also did secondary work on breath of the wild. is there a connection between symphogear and breath of the wild? perhaps...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

What does he say, big mistake?
he literally says 'i am humanity's last action hero,' in english

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

his name is john wayne vercingetorix

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason his character bio says that he got a doctorate in biochemistry from ohio state university, specifically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wasn't there something about John Wayne not having any key art so he was basically always off model?

correct.

even when theyre trying to make him look normal it comes out like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the girls frontline mobile game also has pretty bad night missions

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone like nopon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radia posted:

im just gonna not worry about it unless i miss out on some really great content, which the consensus seems(?) to be "eh, not really"
the secret challenge boss has some backstory for jade and but you kind of need to grind to be at a high enough level to fight them. i dont think(?) any of the steps to unlock them are missable, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that a bunch of people acted like bioshock infinite was really deep is one of the most embarrassing parts of the 2010s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

playing through etrian in shorts burts, they should totally do a dungeon meshi etrian

if you jsut name everyone after the cast of meshi you can have one already

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quackles posted:

The real question is, was the ending of the third Danganronpa game a love letter to the fandom, or hate mail?
i think needing it to be one or the other in a binary sense is what the game is criticizing and commenting on more than the fact that there were previous video games people liked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'was it a love letter or hate mail.' come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxBgTCQjP0

heres a cool fanmade v3 music video

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah the only definitive sentiment of v3's ending, is that there doesn't need to be more danganronpa. it's not saying anything negative about the fact that people liked danganronpa just that the series was already spinning out of control and it'd be best to stop here while they still had an okay grasp of what was fun about it.
i think also it was commentating on like, the fact that dangan ronpa existing was more a topic of discussion than the individual dangan ronpas itself. dangan ronpa had evolved into something beyond whatever kodaka was doing. the '59th dangan ronpa' stuff is pretty clearly a reference to like, fangames, roleplay, fanfic, etc. i took the ending as like, a celebration of that stuff, but also a sort of freeing statement. all of them dont have to be chained to the concept of Dangan Ronpa. they can go beyond it. you are all free now

The Colonel posted:

the most negative thing you could read into danganronpa v3 is that it visibly thinks the Danganronpa Lore that had built up was kind of unnecessary and not meaningfully connected to why people liked it. but it doesn't actively poo poo on it it just, detaches itself from it
i think this also sort of ties into what i mean. 'dangan ronpa' is a made up concept that people are turning into whatever direction they want

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope some of those random korean danganronpa fangames get tl'd sometime some of them have good char designs

love puzzle man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin Blade

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of the girls frontline mobile game its a spinoff of is the level where they desperately try to make a cool bike chase happen in their chibi flash game artstyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rhAHC-ZuA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimlit posted:

After watching a 'ps1 hidden gems' video I decided to try out Thousand Arms.

Wtf I've never been filtered so hard off a game in my life. It can't even compose itself for like one scene without the writing taking an incel nose dive.
its just a 90s harem romcom lol. its a bit goofy but 'incel' is a bit much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest 'square enix is the devil' story is when the devs of one of the lief is strange spinoffs was right SQUARE WOULDNT LET US EMBRACE THIS CHARACTER'S SEXUALITY... THEY WERE HOMOPHOBIC... WE COULDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT... and then every article from the game's previews is devs and journalists going 'this game stars a bi woman' openly and in the headlines.

so presumably they just wanted to do something insanely stupid wrt the character's sexuality and square said no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Tri-Ace stuff (Star Ocean, Valkyrie, etc) are probably close to the cutting block if not on it. At very least I expect them to go smaller like the remake rather than another big console one.
star ocean 2 remake sold well so my guess is that either they'll remake valkyrie profile 1 or make a new star ocean thats hd 2d style instead of 3d.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of baffling to me why they couldn't predict that "the game that you can only get on the PS5, a console far fewer people own" would sell a lot less than Remake
square: ff7r made 200 million dollars
sony: we will pay you 50 million to put ff7r2 exclusively on ps5
square: ff7r2 made 150 million dollars, and sony paid us 50 million to put ff7r2 on ps5
people: IS SQUARE DYING???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

that article was also funny because the square enix they were talking about was square enix london. regional branches of big companies like this tend to be funny and operate pretty separately from the home japanese ones. and also square enix literally just published a lesbian romance indie game that they gave access to an official se twitter pr account as part of their indie publishing initiative and i don't think little goody two shoes made a secret about what it was so it's not like their western side has a wider aversion to the idea
given that same expose also had the devs say 'we didnt report sexist abuse because we didnt want to damage the Only Gay Games Ever Made' im just assuming everyone who worked there was a moron.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I know I'm out of the loop so this isn't saying much coming from me, but I have never heard of Foamstars before now.
they gave it a big trailer at a sony event! it was clearly meant to be huge. the cg trailer they used to promote it probably already cost a dozen million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

on the whole i mostly wonder if we're in for a few years of the big companies trying to grapple with the fact that no, suicide squad is not popular and it never will be. stop trying to make suicide squad.

suicide squad, the ip, specifically, tbh. its insane that dc has spent nearly a decade trying to make it happen and been unable to reach the heights of a single episode of the 2000s justice league cartoon.