Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw someone mention that new Altier game a few pages back so it reminded me of something, how are the Altier Iris games? The game shop near me has all 3 and I could pick them up for about :10bux: each so just wondering if they're any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coolio posted:

The identity of the killer is 100% obvious anyway if you aren't a big loving idiot. Gee who could it be, it's definitely not this guy who keeps showing up randomly to feed the kids info and has no point otherwise in the story.

To be completely fair The "stupid bumbling dude who accidentally lets things slip which help the protagonists" trope is pretty common. Although I will admit it becomes pretty obvious around the time you actually need to finger them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A friend of mine is joining the army so he's selling all of his old ps2 games off, and among them are the Xenosaga games. I always hear pretty...odd things about them to say the least, but he'll sell em all to me for about 10 dollars. They worth it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Has anyone else picked up Fate/Extra for the PSP? I'm liking it so far.

I finished it a few days ago. I thought it was really awesome. The combat system was really neat and at least for me never got old.

I'm hoping it sells well enough that the sequel gets a release here. I'd get the JP version but then I wouldn't be able to transfer my clear data :shobon:

e: The artbook that came with the limited edition sure was...Something though. I usually keep things like that out but I think I'll be keeping that one tucked into the box.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 12, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

I'm on the third week and there's some signs that you might have to grind later on,

I actually didn't have to grind at all (which surprised me) I was playing Saber though so I can't speak for Archer/Caster players. As long as you don't make a habit of attempting to avoid enemies you'll always be around the right level for the content.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are Archer/Caster the same Archer/Caster from F/SN?

Archer yes, Caster, no.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is that like an RPG Maker clone of Highschool of the Dead or something?

Eh, that's a pretty harsh comparison. That scene linked is pretty much one of a small handful of goofy scenes which were really put in just to contrast with how gory and hosed up the rest of the game is.

e: Not to mention less than 30mins later you find that same girl hanging dead in one of the bathroom stalls, the games pretty messed up.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 28, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

softcorps posted:

Anyways, too bad about Corpse Party being on PSP since I sold mine. Oh well, I've had way too many gatdamn games to play lately. Still haven't finished Skyrim, and I suddenly get back into D&D Online, and now I'm playing the Star Wars MMO beta.

I'm pretty sure the PC version was (fan?)translated, I think it lacks the VA and CGs but if you're interested you could still give that a shot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone here played Trinity Universe? I got a copy from a Sony rep along with some other rpgs and I've never even really heard of it before. It's clearly a niche NIS title but I was just curious if its worth getting into or not.

e: Anything about the quality of Altier Totori would be nice as well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part about DA2 was when the last boss uses that party wide stun in order to give a mid fight speech, and if you had the sword n shield chick (forgot her name) in your party, she was immune to stuns so she just mindlessly auto attacked the invincible boss while they continued talking. :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well if your ps3 can play ps2 games get Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Pretty much the best JRPG from the ps2 era.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

SH2 does a great job of refining the gameplay mechanics an absolute shitload while simultaneously taking a massive poo poo on absolutely everything that made Shadow Hearts a good game.

EDIT: The best thing SH2's story does is (ending spoilers)write itself out of existence.

I realize my opinion is in the minority, and I'm okay with that. I just really did not like SH2. Which is a shame, because SH1 is still one of my favorite games.

I pretty much agree with this.

I couldn't stand that SH2 and 3 ramped up the silly to an absurd level, SH1 had a really good balance and they really messed it up in the sequels.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Francois Kofko posted:

Has tri-Ace ever made a mediocre game? I thought about it recently and I'm pretty sure every tri-Ace game I've ever played I either absolutely loved or absolutely hated.

On a more 'searching for a game' note, is there any game that has the same sort of apocalyptic everything-will-be-reborn aesthetic as Nocturne? I haven't played other SMT games but I absolutely loved Nocturne's setting (and it reminded me a lot of Baroque, for whatever reason, which I also loved both as a game and as a setting/story, even if the designs were a bit anime). Any suggestions for other games with similar settings/aesthetics?

Digital Devil Saga (the first one specifically) has that post apocolyptic style vibe Nocturne had, not completely the same but it's similar enough.

Same battle system as Nocturne too, so that's a huge plus in general :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can pop your PS2 disks into your computer if you got an emulator working, no need to replug in your PS2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People keep saying that the job system in the International edition fixes things a ton but I could have sworn someone said that everyone has fixed stat growths anyways, meaning you just screw yourself over if you try to make people the classes you want rather than ones they're clearly suited for. Is that not true?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd recommend Fate/Extra if you can get it for around 10 bucks or so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You should just be saving instead of using Charon since you'll just be without money at all times. And you need to be abusing the Press Turn system, if you try to ignore it you basically won't get far at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it really seems like your friend just really doesn't like them and is making up poo poo to prevent you from trying them out.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's good to see I'm not alone in that sentiment. I bugged a Bamco rep for a copy after hearing people rave about it but I couldn't bring myself to play anymore past a few dungeons. Which is such a shame considering the game's whimsical charm.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now that the dust has settled, is Class of Heroes 2 worth getting? I know it's apparently not as good as the EO series but I need some sort of dungeon crawler to scratch that itch before Millennium Girl releases in October. I seem to remember people saying that there were some glaring game breaking bugs or something on release? Were those fixed?

Man I wish the PS3 wizardry had a Vita port. Dungeon Crawling is at its best on the go!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll admit I don't know much about the EO1 remake, but I think I saw chatter that it incorporates alot of the mechanical changes that EO4 brought to the table

What didn't grab you about EO4 speaking of, that alone might decide on if the remake would jive with you or not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man I feel like I missed something with Dragons Dogma, I know I'm in the minority but I thought the game was, well...Awful. Every enemy from trash mob to boss felt like a huge damage sponge and the Pawn AI is some of the worst I've ever seen in my life. Oh yes, thank you Pawn for telling me that the wolves are weak to fire, and then proceeding to cast ice brand on my weapon. Cool. No, really thanks. :geno:

The game on paper sounds like something I'd love but I just could not bring myself to stand it at all, I even bought Dark Arisen after hearing people claim it fixed all of the games flaws and it was the same poo poo. I really wanted to like the game but just couldn't bring myself to. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If they had just tuned down the wacky poo poo a bit Covenant would probably be one of my favorite jrpgs of all time. The original had such a balance that I don't think any other rpg I've played has been able to nail.

But sadly they just went way too far in the silly direction and then kicked it into overdrive in the third. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 3 Portable, Fate/Extra (Only if you're a type moon fan, otherwise skip it)

ZHP is also a good choice.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's time for us to get all of our hopes up over the next couple months only to have them horribly dashed. Atlus and the Persona team are up to something: http://p-ch.jp/

It's probably just location testing for the new P4A revision since it lists cities.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I picked up The Guided Fate Paradox today. Only beat the first chapter but I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it feels like they took the rough parts of ZHP and smoothed them out which is good. My only real complaint is it really feels like it belongs on the Vita rather than PS3.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

EO:Untold is a remake of the first game with an optional story mode. So if you have played 1 before you might want to skip it.

I personally enjoyed 4 more, I wasn't too impressed with the story mode in Untold.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is The Witch and the Hundred Knight any good? Debating on getting that or Deception IV today...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's a shame. Guess I'll grab it when it hits the bargain bin. Of course now I'm caught between either the ps3 or vita versions of deception. :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah you just lose clothing as you take damage, which makes no sense even in context since you're just possessing the bodies of random soldiers and IIRC everyone else sees you as said soldiers so there's pretty much no justification for the clothes ripping at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Okage was cool as heck even if it did have some bizzare gameplay decisions, like giving the MC a taunt ability..but it's instant game over if he dies. :pwn:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sword Art Online also is full of creepy incest and other garbage.

.hack, in all of its dullness was infinitely more palatable.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It doesnt help that at least the first two volumes of GU all had dumb tournament poo poo to move the plot along. It was fine for one game but why on earth did they use that same gimmick again?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's alright. I assumed people were being thin skinned when they complained about the fanservice but it's pretty in your face which is kind of weird but whatever. Mechanically it's alright but you don't even get a full party since it cost 1500gold (which is alot at the start) to make a new guy and give them a room which sucks.

It also has a dark souls style message system and pretty much every message is really loving creepy since they let you choose words like "moe" and "sexy" and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Wait till it's like half off. or a PSN freebie unless you're just dying for a decent dungeon crawler.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Shame the entire post game and super boss were removed from the US version of Battle Network6 because Capcom thought no one in the west cared about Boktai.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this Mugen Souls Z game coming out worth looking into? Or is it just another piece of poo poo that NIS america is bringing over for some reason.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw that it was an RPG and anime so I assumed it was going to be dumb but uh. Well. I guess I'm happy I didn't bother looking up gameplay footage before asking now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

One of the first image searches is CGs of the girls covered in a substance that is in no way meant to resemble semen. Game looks cool as hell and I've changed my mind. Preordered.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything in particular I should spend my BP on in Parasite Eve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I see. Thanks, is ATB worth upgrading or does it scale horribly?