Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is NG+ actually worth doing? I was mostly just going to jump to PE2 when I was finished unless NG+ adds something substantial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Few more Parasite Eve questions.

Does Junk do anything?
Should I be using my armor upgrades on whatever I'm using or stockpile them?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Anyone know anything about Mind Zero? It looks like an acceptable persona knockoff from the isolated information i've seen from it, hard to find any opinions on it though.

From what I've seen, it has awful characters, boring combat, repetitive dungeon design, and ends on a cliffhanger that will never get resolved since the game tanked hard. I'd wait till it's like 10 dollars if you've just got to play it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will your save transfer over or is it not worth getting too far in till the actual release?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

All reports say no, won't transfer. Reason to get it now is to save some cash though and release is on the 30th. Plus you can familiarize yourself with the system, character upgrades and so on.

Yeah I ended up buying it anyways. Pretty cool, although Shadowblades seem kind of bad (maybe its just a bad comparison since my other guy was a cleric who one shotted basically every enemy so far) I hope it's just a rough start because shadowy magic assassins are one of my favorite fantasy tropes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies any good? Looking for a handheld RPG to occupy myself and a local gamestop has a copy for :10bux: Never played a DQ game before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I see that they also have DQM2, out of the two which is considered better?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does the mobile port of TWEWY add anything besides changing the combat up to compensate for lack of a seocnd screen? I have a strong urge to replay it but no sense in dropping 18bux if there's nothing new in it.

I am also filled with sadness that we will never get a sequel.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've always been of the opinion that Shadow Hearts 2 kind of goes overboard with the silly (not as bad as 3 though) but drat if it aint head and shoulders better mechanically than 1.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Picked up Xenoblade again after a couple month break. And I'm enjoying it so far. Here are some thoughts (I just beat Xord for an idea of where I am)

Reyn seems loving useless, his entire gimmick is that he's supposed to be the tank right? well he's a loving lovely one because he can't hold aggro for poo poo, which makes it impossible to do any of the positional attacks because the monsters are always glued to Shulk. I've been trying to use Shadow Eye to combat this but even upgraded it seems to give me enough time to do maybe one attack before they're back on me.

Fights feel really schizophrenic difficulty wise even around the same level, sometimes the enemies do nothing to me, othertimes I'm fighting to stay alive and with healing on a cooldown basis this is really annoying.

Am I able to get away with not really messing with the sidequests? I don't really care about getting ultimate weapons or armor as long as I can beat the game without too much issue due to being underleveled or whatever.

What defines an enemy skill that Shield will block? Sometimes it turns the deadly attacks to 0, other times it does nothing and one of my party members still get hosed. It's never the same abilities obviously, but I don't really know how to tell what will and won't be blocked.

I know it makes sense in universe but I really hate having to blow a Monado cooldown just to fight Mechon properly, it's really annoying and can break the flow of combat if you run into two groups close enough and have to wait for the cooldown to reset to actually beat them in a timely manner.

And finally, back to my first comment, is there just something I'm doing wrong because it's not fun being unable to fully use my abilities because I can never position myself properly to use them most of the time due to aggro.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 23, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for all the Xenoblade tips everyone. Switching some of Reyn's arts around really helped, even if aggro is still kind of finnicky.

One final thing, am I expected to go back to colony 9 or whatever to create gems? I haven't made any since the beginning so I'm stuck with a giant bag full of gem materials and seemingly no place to craft them at.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dross posted:

What are the features in P4G that require PSN access? It doesn't specify, but I want to play it at work and I don't have wifi here.

You can see what other people did during the day (went home, advanced X social link, etc) and you can send help requests mid dungeon which give the person minor amounts of HP and SP when their next battle starts. It's nothing major.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been hearing some stuff around the net that natural doctrine has a lot of bullshit like spawning enemies out of thin air with no warning, forcing you to replay the maps to prepare for it. Any truth to this?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Eh yes and no, it's frustrating sometimes but it's not really worse then any Fire Emblem game. People like to whine about doors being a total gently caress you as well, but the game straight up teaches you how to open them without getting ganked.

PLAY THE loving TUTORIAL though holy poo poo is it important.

I see, any chance you could expand a bit on how brutal these door encounters and spawning enemies are? I don't mind something to keep me on my toes and punishing bad positioning but the complaints are causing sort of middling review scores (not that I really care about reviews) so I kind of want to know exactly what I'm in for before I take the plunge.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for addressing my concerns, Million Ghosts. Probably will bite the bullet on Monday.

In other RPG news..

This JoJo's rpg just got translated
]

It follows the plot of Stardust Crusaders but starring YOU as the seventh member of the group!!! You take a cool little personality test and get assigned a Stand and join in on the adventure. Graphically it looks like a game boy game, but I think it looks really nice. I've heard nothing but good things, and there's a ton of endings and stuff for replaying. Even if you don't know what a JoJo is I recommend checking it out. Haven't gotten a chance to really sink my teeth into it yet but I'm liking what I played.

You can get it here:http://7thjojo.tumblr.com/post/98202338885/after-several-months-in-the-making-the-7th-stand

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like how you can switch the character portraits in Natural Doctrine from "anime" to "realistic" and how loving horrifying the realistic setting looks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda want to see both, because I'm pretty much thinking of the same thing in Metal Head for the 32X..or Star Ocean 4.

Sadly the realistic option doesn't let you see the full character like the anime one does but the faces are really all that matter.

anime:

"realistic":

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I chose her for my example picture specifically because that pose made me laugh really hard at how dumb it is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Also not true. It goes "do you want to quit: y/n". It's a literal escape key for the program.

Who loving wrote that? That's a pile of hot trash.

I can confirm that hitting esc does automatically close out of the game with no prompt for me. I use a controller so it's irrelevant to me though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Are you on fullscreen? I'm playing windowed and I get a popup, also using a gamepad.'

If that's a thing I take it back, that IS a garbage design.

I'm using fullscreen, so yeah that's probably why.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Hey, are you allowed to mention the site/magazine you write for, ImpAtom? You've mentioned doing reviews before and you're a Cool Dude with Well-Written Opinions. Even when I disagree with you I can at least see where you're coming from.

His real name is Ben Kuchera, hope this helps, OP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Buy Senran Kagura instead, OP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You guys are such prudes, I for one just pre-ordered the collectors edition of this insanely sexy game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Byde posted:

Okay nevermind. My eyes don't adjust well to anime you see.

I'm going to throw you into a locker.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When I bought Hakuoki the 19 year old muscle head cashier at Gamestop told me "this game looks badass as hell, I love samurai games" and I just nodded sagely and went on my way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We're getting Soul Nomad Vita right after Makai Kingdom Vita. Mark my words.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't hurt me like this Ibram Gaunt. I can't take it.

Play Soul Nomad though.

As a total aside I somehow wound up with THQ Pacific's archive copy of Soul Nomad from when they distributed it for AU/NZ. It's just a sticker on the back of the box, but..kinda neat. Ish.

I'm convinced that if I post it enough, it'll eventually come true.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

apparently Neptunia may be coming to PC:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/03/hyperdimension-neptunia-rebirth-2-rated-esrb-pc/

i don't care for the games themselves, but the general trend is nice

Day one buy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Respect Neptunia.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The re;birth games are alright. the original ones are insanely bad. Anime is good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't buy/play Neptunia games you loving goons.

Do not listen to this troll.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

And now Ni No Kuni is finished at around 35 hours. I probably could have finished it at 30 but I kept doing errands/bounties to get the money to keep buying MP-restoratives which are priced ridiculously in the game. I was underleveled at 48 but when you can actually keep your MP restored the game gets a lot less stressful. The final boss's final form and its helpers were pretty simple to take out with Evenstar.

The game is probably all too elevated by its visual style to overcome its shortcomings on the gameplay side but I still liked it all the way through. I think the only major problem I really had with the game was that AI doesn't seem to want to listen to you. I don't know how many times I triggered All-Out Defense before a boss's AOE and they decided to keep attacking and get shelled. FF12 perfected this poo poo with Gambits, I just want to program my teammates in every game now.

I wonder, if they had not done the canned animation for attacking and instead had you attack every time you hit the button, if this game would have felt too similar to Kingdom Hearts, especially with the HP/MP orb drops and the spells/summons that halt everything.

Also I kept expecting them to go the "it was all a dream/your imagination, Oliver!" route and I'm glad they didn't do that.

Next up: Playing SMT Nocturne for the first time :getin:

Good luck, Gamer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Origins has a Gambit like system? I'm getting DAO and DA2 this Monday (Saturday if I'm really lucky but I'm not holding out hope) and I'm kinda worried about it. I have never actually played a WRPG my whole life. I have played somewhere around 20 JRPGs since i was little but DA will be my first exposure to stuff from the good ol' USofA.

Apparently I should have just gotten Mass Effect but I prefer Fantasy to Sci-Fi on average....

DAO, and DAI, are both really good.

Do not play DA2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That reminds me of some PS1 RPG I don't remember the name of where the ending is literally the screen freezing during the last boss and it saying "the end" because you were just stalling the big bad for someone to seal the area you were in or something. Seemed like a pretty lame rear end ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really sick and tired of people in this thread not respecting Anime.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

It isn't about respect so much as Anime Is For Faggets and All Bad Games Are Anime, thus bad games = for faggets

:yikes:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Let me guess, he's a gay Quniari with a speech impediment?

Shut up, bitch.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Iron Bull is freakin cool and I will -NOT- stand for people disrespecting him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i want lightning to be in every game ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't get the level 5 badge, AND the foil badge for 13, for her not to appear in more games.