Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Man, I am so hyped to play SO2 again tomorrow.
One of my top favorite JRPGs ever, and the remake looks so good.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

If memory serves, while most talents can be learned by using skills, Dexterity can't, and Dexterity is really important for pickpocketing, a thing which you wanted to do mostly when your party is split up and you only have your MC.

Late on this, but iirc you can learn Dexterity, but it's a low chance from Metalwork or Machinery, so it's a pain in the rear end.
So, easier to just restart until you start with it.
Oh, and every character in at least the original had individual chances to either start with or learn a talent, and if you don't know about it, it could be really confusing.

Like Claude had a 50% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 7.8% chance to learn it.
While Rena had a 70% chance to start with Dexterity, and a 3.9% chance to learn it.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

fridge corn posted:

If you're gonna play a suikoden you should at least play the first 3. The rest are completely optional

5's a solid game too.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

disposablewords posted:

They're great. 2 having a kinda bad localization isn't wrong, though. Still loved it.

Yeah, even though I can barely parse what Liz is saying, I still love the game.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Another nice thing about the remake: Dexterity/Nimble Fingers is guaranteed on Claude/Rena

It's most definitely not.
I was resetting in the demo earlier, and I got multiple starts where Rena didn't start with Nimble Fingers.
Unless the full game is different for some reason?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

fridge corn posted:

It is but it's also a spin-off :spooky:

Suikoden 5 happens in the same world, plays the same way as the first two games, and shares some characters so how is it a spin-off?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

fridge corn posted:

It's a prequel

That... doesn't mean it's a spin-off, though?
Like, Tactics is a spin-off because it isn't a numbered title, and also plays very differently.
But Suikoden V just happens before the first game, that doesn't mean it's a spin-off.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

I really am interested in seeing how much better Noel is in the Star Ocean 2 remake.
They must have buffed him? ...right?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Try Rena. Like Kanos said, Dias is different from Claude. He's got a much better ranged option and his killer moves are very fast but don't hit as many times. With Claude and Ashton, some of their killer moves are much slower and can leave you vulnerable if you miss.

Storywise, I can't remember. I think he just plays older brother to Rena and that's it.

Though of course, unless someone who already has the game pipes up, we don't have any idea how much every character's gameplay has changed.

Plot-wise, in the original PS1 game, Dias had 0 private actions. He just always slept.
They gave him a bunch of PAs in the PSP version though, so he has much more dialogue.
And yeah, he's basically an older brother towards Rena.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

RE Star Ocean 2 Remake

I never properly completed the game (I think I got like halfway through) but I am still wondering who I want to play as. I only ever played as Claude and I like him well enough, but I do want to try out Rena to change things up. Was there ever something where people agreed that one was better than the other?

They're both good, most of the game is the same either way.
The biggest differences are the exclusive characters, and exclusive Private Actions.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Pulcinella posted:

I did see a review that mention SO2R has New Game +. Though it didn't mention if you got to switch to the other character on the second time through and, if so, if you could bring over exclusive characters.

That last one seems unlikely.
Except maybe as those support attack things?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Leraika posted:

the true answer is always to boot welsh because she's just visiting from another game :colbert:

Any character can be usable and has something interesting about them so you can't go wrong with anyone. Every time I play the bigger pick problem is Opera or Ashton because they made the best characters mutually exclusive :(

The other picks (dias or leon, bowman or precis) are usually easier* (*I have never taken precis except for voice collection data because her voice in the ps1 version is atrocious)

Maybe you should get Precis this time then.
Different voice, and Precis really is quite a powerful character.

Jimlit posted:

Yeah isn't the level cap like 255 or something? Don't worry too much about picking a bad character, you can make anyone disgustingly OP.

It always was 255 in the original game too.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

disposablewords posted:

I'm assuming the answer is "no" but did the recent-ish Star Ocean 1 Remake get any meaningful changes as well aside from prettying up?

It's a remaster of the PSP remake.
It's very different from the SNES original, but as far as I know it's mostly visual upgrades compared to the PSP version.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Is Precis really considered a first run character? I had to look up how to get her back in the day, since the game practically throws Bowman at you and they're exclusive of one another.

If you compulsively do Private Actions, you tend to trigger her recruitment event before Bowman.
Happened to me on my first playthrough of the original, anyway.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Saxophone posted:

What time does this release? It still shows as pre-order on Steam…

Should be in about 35 minutes from now.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Gainsboro posted:

Suikoden 2?

People definitely care about Suikoden 1, 3, and 5.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Welp, time to go and explore Expel all over again.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Enemies in the game are definitely so far more dangerous than in the original game, though you also have more powerful options so...
I can't really know how the difficulty curve will fare in the end-game.

Though I've been deliberately avoiding getting any of the absolutely game-breaking weapons.
Been sticking to what I can craft or customize with normal stuff so far.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh dang pickpocketing has been nerfed super hard. Now it lowers your friendship values even if you're in PA mode.

That change was already done in the PSP version, I'm pretty sure.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Overbite posted:

I like in star ocean 2 R that in the status screen you can change the portraits from new, psp, and original and for some reason the original art slides up from the bottom of the screen instead of quickly sliding in from the side like the others. It’s so unnecessarily dramatic for what looks like something someone who watched all of fushigi yugi and decided they wanted to move to Japan to make anime drew and uploaded to their website which they were very proud of when it got linked on the anime web turnpike.

Yeah, a callback to how the artwork slid up in the original PS1 game.
There was a joke to that in some Star Ocean manga too, iirc.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, there's that manga page I mentioned earlier.
Apparently some kind of running gag that Claude would just suddenly appear out of the ground, in the style of the PS1 portraits rising from the bottom.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Gyoru posted:

why_not_both.jpg

Hacked the game?
I wonder what would happen if you got a paired ending between them.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I beat SO2R, and even went through the post-game dungeon, and now I kinda wish I could choose New Game+ to not carry over levels.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

pixel bitches posted:

That was quick

Yeah, I spent the past 2 days doing basically nothing but playing the game.
Though helps that it isn't that long of a game, especially with fast travel being a thing now.

Edit: Oh, and what did I think of it? Stellar.
Definitely the definitive version of Star Ocean 2.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2023

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just realized you can craft and dupe level-up medals that can take you up to 100. What level is the normal final boss?

My team was around 90-100 when I reached the final boss. (Without using the medals)

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

MechaX posted:

You know if I wasn't stuck with Fayt/Cliff/Nel for like 70% of the game, I'd replay SO3 and actually level up Maria this time

Go for the characters no one uses instead.
Like Roger.

Overbite posted:

So just making sure, is there no way to make party members avoid attacks? This boss does an AOE instant kill and kills everyone I'm not controlling all at the same time because they won't move away from it.

Not really, other than setting their strategy to avoid enemies, I guess?
AI being suicidal was always a bit of an issue.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Just realized if you stand next to a fishing spot for a second it shows you how many different fish you can obtain there.

You can also hit R1 when near the fishing spot to see all of it.
Or to change bait.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

There is one talent that might be worth it to restart over if you want completionism, and that's Celine's Love of Animals talent.
Because she can start with it, but if she doesn't start with it, then she can never learn it.

Also the animal call birds have always come back after like 10 seconds for me in the remake.
Doesn't require a battle.

Not sure if that depends on the level of the skill, though.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

bentacos posted:

My enjoyment of Armed Fantasia will hinge on how much whistling there is in the soundtrack.

One of the stretch goals was literally "More Whistling".

Also I am one of the players who loved both Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts, so definitely excited for both.
Went for the 11000 yen combo digital deal in the kickstarter.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

CaptainRat posted:

It's not even the best pixel-based RPG Square-Enix released this year.

Yea it is

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the protagonist choice in Suikoden 3 affecting what each of them got.

And yeah, magic got pretty absurd in 5.

Edit: There's also Unite Magic in the series, but in the early games that's easy to forget about.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 18, 2023

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Wakka's ultimate weapon was by far the most tedious to get, because you had to win something like three consecutive seasons of blitzball league. I'd sooner dodge 200 lightning bolts before doing that again. Fortunately you can just approximate it decently enough with monster parts.

Not quite that, but you do still have to play alot of Blitzball.
The Jupiter Sigil has a 50% chance to show up as a League reward once you have all of Wakka's Overdrives.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, there's fast travel.
Takes some time to unlock, though.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I kinda wish that they put in plain english how to avoid this bug. As far as I can tell, it is 'Do not speak to Lam more than once without Riufan'?

I was looking at the reviews out and there seems to be a bit of a spread there. Far as I can tell the main complaints are slow start and things being a bit too oldschool for their own good, for all that implies.

Anyway I am trying to finish up Rising, which is light but reasonably fun.

Even better that if you do talk to Lam her name will be just "???" so you might not even realize it.
Bug happened to me, so good to see someone making a fix for it.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't remember a single thing about the fantasy politics of Suikoden 2, but I do remember that the villain was the evilest person ever and also unkillable because of his ability to shout really loud that he didn't want to die yet. This made him insanely popular among anyone who played the game.

I don't think he ever actually shouted that, but he sure was hard to keep down, yeah.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a basic guide for starting out in the Eiyuden bayblade minigame so that I can get some basic tops without getting immediately destroyed? The couple opponents I've found are clearly way out of my current league.

You seem to only really get new tops as random drops from enemies in normal battles, while fighting opponents in beyblade gives you some quite random rewards like healing items, it's odd.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Levantine posted:

The main story Beigoma people give you new tops that are (usually) a straight upgrade if you're playing as you have access in the game.

You can easily get to the end of the competition if you get the Seed Conqueror and Demon Pawn tops. The first is in the end of the Dappled Forest and the second is in the Proving Ground. I found it in the room where Kellethor went through the hole to hit the switch You only have to win 2 of the 3 matches to win overall, so sometimes just moving your tops around to counter the enemy tops is the key.

...How do you continue the Beigoma main story?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Levantine posted:

It's in the link at the top of the post you quoted. The Beigoma quest leads to recruiting that character.

Huh, somehow I completely blanked on the first half of the post. Thanks.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Tequila Bob posted:

Indeed, maybe there will be an Eiyuden II that is so thoroughly excellent that it makes the first one look like a prologue. Nothing would be more Suidoken-esque than that.

Eiyuden II was already announced a few days before the game was out, but who knows how good it'll be.

I have liked Eiyuden Chronicle quite a bit so far, except for some things like offensive magic being basically useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

I'm 20 hours in and I've not found this.
That said with the last boss I'd gone to a place where enemies were a ton higher level so I was level 36 instead of level 30 and absolutely thrashed it.

Don't get me wrong the fights are fun but Defend seems broken to the point where it doesn't do anything.

HOWEVER Garr has a Rune of Armour and he takes 1 damage from basically everything. It feels like cheating almost how impossible he is to hurt.

My biggest issue with Magic is that it's weirdly slow. What's the fuckin' point of that Earth spell that stuns things if it goes last???

For Defend commands, it really depends on the character.
Characters have different versions of the Defend command, some of them don't really seem to help much, and others are really good.