Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

One of the most overlooked SNES rpg's ever Illusion Of Gaia (also known as Illusion Of Time) is one of the most unique and somber games I've ever played.

It plays like a top down real time RPG (AKA Zelda) but with one difference. Leveling is done by killing EVERY enemy in an area. You can only do this once and the game uses the same philosophy for items. No item shops so what you find (and kill) is what you get. In dungeons you gain the ability to change into two different forms. One is a knight with a sword and the other not playable till the end of the game is a being made of pure energy The game is a JRPG but avoids most if not all of the cliches.

The story puts you in the role of a young boy named Will who lives in a version of Earth where the world's surface is much different from what we recognize today although the setting is based off of the post Columbus era. Will is the only person left from an expedition with his father to the Tower Of Babel and posseses psychic powers.

Will finds a portal into an alternate dimension where a talking head gives him advice and meets a princess running away from her life of luxury and after being thrown in prison by her King father breaks out and embarks on a epic journey all over the world to retrieve several mystic artifacts in such places as the Incan Ruins, Nazca Lines, Egyptian Pyramids the Great Wall Of China and an underwater castle inhabitated by a pair of married vampires who hate eachother.

You are joined by a very likeable cast of characters including a girl who can turn into a dandelion puff your inventor cousin who invents the plane/camera/everything and a pig who has "some special kind of pig power." You also use a flute as a weapon.

The game deals lightly with themes such as slavery, disease/famine loss of loved ones and the destruction of the natural world/evolution of human society and overall has a very melancholy tone througout that actually can feel a slightly oppressive at times. This is the kind of game you want to play through for its plot which is very rewarding.

If you haven't played this game please check it out. I'd say it stands up with the SNES's best.

JihadforChrist fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
EDIT *Deleted my post because I don't want to possibly spoil this game for anybody its so awesome. Sure I edited my post like a crazy madman and I stand by it.*

JihadforChrist fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 2, 2010