Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

Tales of the Abyss' load times are infuriating. There's really no excuse for them.

Also, the story is comprised entirely of random garbage techno babble. If you should find yourself having forgotten a single imaginary term you will become entirely lost in the sea of jargon and be unable to follow the conversations and story.

It also has a forced stealth section that made me quit forever.

Although you're right about the plot, if you fail the stealth section three or so times, the game lets you fight your way through it instead. (Assuming we're thinking about the same place.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

On the subject of Xenoblade, it's apparently just been confirmed that Xenoblade is coming to Europe: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/31/xenoblade-leaving-japan-landing-in-europe-as-xenoblade-chronicles/

Hopefully it's not just an April Fools day prank, the article was posted March 31st so that would be pretty dickish of them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

also posting to ask for general recommendations for PSX/PS2. I've read so many reviews but I kind of want personal opinions from real people. Preferably looking for something with an interesting and well fleshed out plot

Have you played either of the Persona games? They're the first RPG's that come to mind that have a good story.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I've played 2 and 3, been holding off on the fourth because I got what I think is a major twist/reveal spoiled and it's made me less interested in it

I'd say play it anyways. One of the best things about Persona 4's plot is the characters, and so it should still be worth playing. For curiosities sake, what was the twist you found out?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oldstench posted:

There've been a lot of recommendations for The World End With You. I bought it maybe a year ago and tried to enjoy it but just don't seem to "get it". I just can't get a hang of the combat - the stylus input is too imprecise for me to handle. I want him to move, no he slashes. I want him to slash, nope he shoots fire. On top of that, I read that you're supposed to follow the puck but when I do that the non-active player just sits there and gets pummeled inevitably leading to the team's death. What am I missing? Am I just not dexterous enough to handle it? I always thought I had pretty good twitch skills, but goddamn, this game makes me feel like a retarded monkey trying to juggle flaming auto-firing gunblades.

Some people just don't like TWEWY, which is fine, but if you're determined to try and play it here's some advice:

Try to have some variety in pins. If all your pins have similar inputs, then you're going to get frustrated. I can't remember exactly how to do this, but you can make it so you can only use a certain pin if you're pressing one of the shoulder buttons. That should probably help with handling pins with similar inputs. As well, since you mentioned this specifically, if you want to move Neku keep the stylus on the screen. If you want to slash, actually slash. Make contact and break contact with the screen quickly. Maybe calibrate your touchscreen as well.

When people say follow the puck, they don't mean ignore the character without the puck. You should have some pins for Neku that don't really require looking at bottom screen, so you can use those when Shiki has the puck. Then, when Neku has it, focus on the bottom screen and just mash the basic right-right-right or left-left-left combo with Shiki.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Has anybody here played Folklore? It's pretty cheap, but I'd like to get some opinions on it before I consider buying it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The grindy nature probably can't be understated. It's really grindy at times if you want to power up attacks and each attack has several stages of power up with a single different condition for each power up stage. And there's a lot of attacks and you regularly need to switch out attacks.

I believe the biggest complaint about it at the time was the load time involved in bringing up the menu to select different attacks/map them out but I personally didn't have much issue with this.

Is powering up most of your attacks necessary to beat the game, or is it something I can avoid if I want? I hate grinding, so if it's that bad I'll probably just pass on it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You'll want to level them up a bit, but you'll fairly quickly find some keepers you can stick with for the most part. You definitely don't want to fight chapter bosses without your good attacks leveled up as high as you can. You can easily get away with finding an attack you like of each element and sticking with it, though your taste in them is likely to change as the game goes on.

Alright, good to know. Thanks for the opinions everybody; the game's cheap enough that I think I'll probably end up getting it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Stuff about Legend of Heroes.

That sounds pretty great. I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but after reading this I think I'll buy it as soon as the PSN network comes back up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is Grandia II worth playing if the only version I could play is the ps2 port? Apparently it's not a great port, but all the praise for the game recently has made me want to buy it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Ar Tonelico 3 wasnt as awful as yall said it would be. I mean, it was bad, but it could have been a lot worse (Note: I have a high tolerance for japanese bullshit)

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky came out recently and it's pretty good. There was some discussion about a couple pages back if you're interested. Really, there aren't that many good conventional JRPG's on the psp that I can think of. There's a lot of good RPG's, but not many of them are turn-based JRPGs.

There's also, like casual poster mentioned, Persona 3 Portable. It's definitely worth picking up, whether or not you've played Persona 3 before.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

With all these lists up here, mind if I interrupt to ask for a good list of PS2 RPGS

I've been in a bit of a buying mood, and I decided I might as well finish up my PS2 rpg collection.

Recently I bought Okage: Shadow King, Xenosaga 1-3, .hack 1-4 and g.u. 1-3, King's Field 4 as well as Shadow Tower Abyss.

I think everyone should at least try:
.Hack 1-4
.Hack G.U. 1-3
Devil Summoner 1-2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 12
Kings Field 4
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Xenosaga 1-3

Anything I should add? It's gonna be a huge list, but I think we could make a good comprehensive list. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a ton of my games are inside boxes.

Off the top of my head, I'd add Nocturne, Tales of the Abyss, and Mana Khemia to the list.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

niggapolis posted:

I loved Baten Kaitos, but it seems most people hated how much luck went into it. I liked the battle system because it was fairly strategic while also being very fast paced and in the late game it feels awesome to pull off crazy combos by thinking on your feet. Also had some nice setpieces.

If you liked Baten Kaitos you should play the prequel, Baten Kaitos: Origins. The combat system is revamped and is a lot of fun, and the game no longer has the worst voice acting ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

niggapolis posted:

the funny thing about the bad voice acting in baten kaitos is that it was intetional. its a pretty weird mechanic were the closer the relationsip between the main character and the spirit thing (ie you, the player) the better it sounds to simbolyze you being closer to the human world or something like that.

Yeah it's for the gamecube. Also, I got what they were going for with the voice-acting, but it was a bad idea, and beyond the weird distorting effects the performances weren't that good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's what skipping cutscenes was for. Seriously, the game pretty much encouraged you to do it, it even gave a summary of what happened and what you had to next whenever you skipped a cutscene.

Oh and thanks for the Trails in the Sky recommendation earlier in the thread The Black Stones. I beat it a couple of days ago and thought it was great. It's rare that an rpg can hold my attention for a full 60 hours (I play slowly) but it did.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

There were missions that pretty much required some bullshit strategies, though. I think there was one I literally could not complete unless I parked my tank right in an anime girl's face.

There's only the one really difficult mission, which is pretty manageable once you know what to do (admittedly, knowing what to do isn't easy). If anybody ends up getting VC, I'd be happy the walk them through how to get past that mission.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

I thought people said VC was basically the Scout game. How much of it is true.

Scouts can break the game, as most levels have as an objective to capture the enemy base, and so you can just send scouts around and past enemies to do this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sexual rickshaw posted:

Care to indulge me then? That mission alone is the one reason why I dread making any sort of real progress in VC, despite enjoying what I've done so far.

Yeah sure, I'll see what all I can get across in text. First of all, you want mainly bring lancers, with along with Alicia and Rosie for extra Command Points. An engineer would probably be helpful as well. You want to start of with using your lancers to take out the turrets on the tank. There should be two lancers near where the tank is; using them you should be able to take out around 2 of the turrets. I can't guarantee anything, but using the button that changes targets to aim rather than auto-aiming seems to give better accuracy. Over the next couple of turns you should focus on using your lancers to take out all the turrets. If one or two die, it's no big deal, just try to get a unit next to them so they can retreat instead of permanently dying. While you're doing this, you should also be focusing on keeping the Edelweiss safe. It's hard to get down exactly, but I think you want to be parallel to the Batomys, with your rear around at the middle of the Batomys. Whenever you end up moving the Edelweiss, take the chance to shoot down one of the ruin walls.

Anyways, once you get all the turrets and the Batomys exposes it's radiators (I think this should happen at around the same time, or you'll get the turrets first if you're making good pace) use Alicia, Rosie or your engineer and get them to climb onto the tank, and throw a grenade into the radiator. The game tells you to use lancers, but a grenade does it in one shot. You can only take down one radiator a turn, so use your spare Command Points to do the following: Keep the Edelweiss in a safe position, use an engineer to repair any damages the Edelweiss has sustained, move all your units to the trenches on the far side of the map/shoot any ruin walls still standing. (The last stretch of land before your home base). You should get all three radiators and stall the Batomys right in front of the camp in what I think is the bottom-left corner of the map. Selvaria should have showed up by now, so use the Edelweiss to block her fire (the layout of the map where the Batomys stops lets you pretty much entirely block her from your units using the Edelweiss and the Batomys as a wall. Then, take all your lancers that are hiding in the trenches and get the to move up and shoot at the Batomys until you win.

If text isn't doing a good job of conveying this, I think there's an LP of the game you could look at, or turn by turn youtube walkthroughs, if you're still interested.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

amaranthine posted:

I always thought the aforementioned "tank pincer" mission was loads harder than the big tank mission, gently caress that one so hard :(

People don't complain as much about that one because there's a fairly obvious way to beat the level, if you're willing to suck up your pride.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unlike dis astranagant, I thought RoF was great, but I would still recommend Nier over it any day. Nier is honestly one if my favorite RPG's ever and, like dis said, it has the best characterization and voice acting of pretty much any RPG I can think of.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 16, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shakugan posted:

I guess I'll go with Nier then. Why did it tank so bad with reviewers when most rpg players seem to think Nier is a pretty great game?

Honestly the gameplay isn't fantastic. It's moderately entertaining and it's varied so it never gets boring, but the only real reason the game gets so much praise is for it's plot/characters (well the soundtrack is gorgeous as well.) As for why reviewers didn't appreciate that, well, reviewers are dumb. Well that's not entirely true, you need to get at least endings A and B to fully appreciate the story, and I think some reviewers didn't realize just how much changes when you're going for ending B. Seriously, at least get Ending B.

Also, once you're done with Nier pick up Vesperia again. Plotwise it's pretty plain beyond a couple of particularly well done moments, but the characters, especially Yuri, are great and the gameplay is fantastic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's supposed to be really easy to get around the region locking on the Wii right? It sucks that neither of those games are coming to NA, but at least there's still going to be a way to play them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Well I enjoyed the original and unless I sold it when I sold 75 per cent of my movies and games, I was planning to try it out again. But since Origins is a prequel, I wanted to pick it up and play it first. Go Origins first, original second.

I'm someone who loved the original. Will I love the prequel?

I thought Origins was great. It's pretty much a streamlined and improved version of the original. It's also got much better voice acting, it's not fantastic but it's around par for a dub. The game does reuse a fair amount of assets from the first game, but it's all good because it's mostly just the cities and stuff that are reused, which are all gorgeous anyways.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Finally, Tactical RPGs seem interesting. To what extent do they merge strategy and RPG genres? What would be a good game that's most representative to try? I have Final Fantasy Tactics on my queue, and am interested in the Fire Emblem series. What would be the best game in that series to pick up and play?

Thanks for any feedback!

Fire Emblem 7 (released as just Fire Emblem in the states), Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance are all good places to start. I think TSS may be the best place to start, as unlike the other games in the series you can grind if you want, and it's easier compared to some of the other games in the series.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

DS/PSPs are pretty cheap; what are the good games on those titles?

(The asterisks denote turn-based combat systems, as you said you liked those)

DS:

The World Ends With You
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey*
Radiant Historia*
Bowser's inside Story*
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Black/White*
Various Dragon Quests* (I believe the consensus is the V is the best)
Final Fantasy IV*
Infinite Space
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Etrian Odyssey I-III*

PSP:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky*
Valkyria Chronicles II
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Yggdra Union
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Jeanne d'Arc
Persona 3 Portable* (I found it to be the best version of the game; it has much more content then all the other versions. However, it's a port of a ps2 game, so a lot of things that were originally conveyed with 3d models are just talking heads now, which takes something away from the game as a whole. Your call I suppose.)
Ys 7
Ys: Oath in Felghana

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The psp version is by no means the best version of Persona 3. Quite a lot of scenes just don't work when reduced down to talking heads to fit on the psp. Play the original first, then maybe think about the psp version for new story.

I personally disagree, but I'll change my post to reflect that what I said was not necessarily the consensus.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

So I guess after ChronoTrigger I'll move onto Suikoden II. I was fun enough, and I hear it's the best in the series.

What's the best game in the Tales series?

By far Vesperia. It's got the best cast and the best gameplay, and I would argue the best plot although that's not saying much because you shouldn't really be playing Tales games for the plot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Thinking that I'll pick up Tales of Vesperia again cause I still haven't finished that, partly due to being so pissed when the game froze after I hadn't saved for nine hours and I couldn't remember where my last save file dumped me off, but mostly cause that game loves to put in dozens upon dozens of secrets and I am so terrible at finding them that I'm always worrying I'm missing something and I hated feeling like that...

So... where's a good walkthrough for the game?

A decently written FAQ on GameFAQs, a strategy blog, no video walkthroughs please, but just something that points out secrets as I get to them so I don't miss out.

Anybody know where I can find one?

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wrote a small walkthrough for that chapter a little earlier in the thread, which may be able to help.

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah sure, I'll see what all I can get across in text. First of all, you want mainly bring lancers, with along with Alicia and Rosie for extra Command Points. An engineer would probably be helpful as well. You want to start of with using your lancers to take out the turrets on the tank. There should be two lancers near where the tank is; using them you should be able to take out around 2 of the turrets. I can't guarantee anything, but using the button that changes targets to aim rather than auto-aiming seems to give better accuracy. Over the next couple of turns you should focus on using your lancers to take out all the turrets. If one or two die, it's no big deal, just try to get a unit next to them so they can retreat instead of permanently dying. While you're doing this, you should also be focusing on keeping the Edelweiss safe. It's hard to get down exactly, but I think you want to be parallel to the Batomys, with your rear around at the middle of the Batomys. Whenever you end up moving the Edelweiss, take the chance to shoot down one of the ruin walls.

Anyways, once you get all the turrets and the Batomys exposes it's radiators (I think this should happen at around the same time, or you'll get the turrets first if you're making good pace) use Alicia, Rosie or your engineer and get them to climb onto the tank, and throw a grenade into the radiator. The game tells you to use lancers, but a grenade does it in one shot. You can only take down one radiator a turn, so use your spare Command Points to do the following: Keep the Edelweiss in a safe position, use an engineer to repair any damages the Edelweiss has sustained, move all your units to the trenches on the far side of the map/shoot any ruin walls still standing. (The last stretch of land before your home base). You should get all three radiators and stall the Batomys right in front of the camp in what I think is the bottom-left corner of the map. Selvaria should have showed up by now, so use the Edelweiss to block her fire (the layout of the map where the Batomys stops lets you pretty much entirely block her from your units using the Edelweiss and the Batomys as a wall. Then, take all your lancers that are hiding in the trenches and get the to move up and shoot at the Batomys until you win.

If text isn't doing a good job of conveying this, I think there's an LP of the game you could look at, or turn by turn youtube walkthroughs, if you're still interested.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's pretty much the hardest mission in the game, the game remains challenging but nothing of that level. Also, the radiators go out in one hit if you use a grenade.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Is it just me or did GameStop push Atelier Totori's release date back until Friday during the day today? The heck? It's bad enough that no one had it on the official day, which was today. I asked about it at a GameStop today and they said it looked like the copies were already in transit so we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

And yes I am dumb for doing business with GameStop but my work is right next to a mall so it's just tremendously convenient is all. That and I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax.

Same for me, it's a little frustrating since I was hoping to pick it up on today along with Shadow of Colossus/Ico.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Looks like Gamestop got their poo poo together, Atelier Totori is in stores today. Quantities of non-preorder copies look pretty limited though so use the website to check availability before you head out. The mall location I went to got one copy of each edition, snagged myself the premium one. Danged clerk had already gutted it but oh well, less plastic wrap for me to throw out I guess.

On the flipside, it seems to have been delayed until October 3rd in Canada.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

casual poster posted:

I picked up Rorona on a whim and I really couldn't get a hang of it because the drat on screen writing was so small I couldn't read it. I had no idea what the tutorials were even saying so of course I kind of just fumbled around with the game for a few hours and got nowhere. Once this goes down in price I might pick it up to give the series another shot.
Do the PS2 games compare?

I'm going to agree with Stelas and say if you're going to pick up one of the ps2 gust games, make it Mana Khemia. It has an excellent battle system and the crafting system is ridiculously addictive.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

For turn-based rpgs there's always the Dragon Quest games, Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey, as well as the various Mario and Luigi titles. Most good SRPGs have already been mentioned, I would recommend Fire Emblem but the DS iteration is probably the worst game in the series, you'd be better off picking up the GBA games. Knights in the Knightmare is hardly a turn based strategy game, but it has some SRPG elements to it, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. It's a weird game.

Also, The World Ends With You remains the best DS rpg/game, so even if it's not turn based, you should pick it up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm playing Atelier Totori and I'm wondering, are there some items I should be creating just to sell, or should the various requests be my main source of income?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stelas posted:

There's a small money loop to help you get going, and a large money loop that can be done later on for when you want to tackle the True Ending, but requests our your main legit source of income. Note that, for alchemy requests (as opposed to gathering requests) you'll almost never get asked for anything that's currently in your stash, so register that stuff then get it out of your container.

I'm not that interested in money loops, I was more wondering if there were any items that don't really serve a purpose to make beyond a high base price. I guess not though, which is good to know. When you say you'll never be asked for alchemy requests you have, do you mean items that you have in your container but not your basket or just items you have at all? Also, what's registering? I don't know if I'm not far enough in the game or what, but the term has never come up. Thanks for the tips.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The main ways of legit income are requests, Chims and selling top tier stuff from gathering. Requests are pretty much your only way in the beginning until you get a Chim. Once you get a Chim later in the game you should intuitively get an idea on how to make money with them.

e: He probably meant wholesaling which you get the ability to do early-midgame.

I don't know what a chim or wholesaling is yet, so I suppose I don't really have to start worrying about any of this for a while. One more thing, I've heard a bit about various endings? Would it be possible to say how to get each ending without spoilers?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What would you consider a spoiler? As in something that spoils the plot? The trophy guide at ps3trophies.org is really good as it lists the requirements for the endings (and trophies) without spoiling much. Though I warn you one of the trophy's name gives away the biggest spoiler so you might just want to stick to this post and avoid scrolling down past the true ending requirements until you play through the game once. Or maybe don't even bother looking past the normal ending requirements since you can't get the true ending on your first playthrough without a guide, sperging and exploiting those money loops.

This works, the instructions for the normal ending were fine spoiler wise, and I can't be bothered to go for the true ending if it's supposed to be that hard. Thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Douche Bag posted:

How would I go about playing The Last Story in the US? Dumb question I'm sure, but I've never imported games before.

Find on online retailer that ships overseas, (I think Game.co.uk is what I used for Xenoblade), then homebrew your wii to get around region locking. There's a thread somewhere that explains better than I could how to do so. Also, get Xenoblade as practice (the op for Xenoblade explains how to get and play the game as well).

Edit: Found the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676, although to be honest the OP for Xenoblade may be better because the information information there is focused on playing an import.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I just picked up a copy of Infinite Space, anything I should know beforehand???

-Some characters have fairly obscure requirements, I'd use a guide if you care about that sort of thing.
-Early on Kira (very early game spoiler) will join your crew. If you put her in the first mate position, you get a special that heals your fleet.
-In battle, all of the enemies' ships will be displayed on the top of the touch screen. Under the images of the ship, one of three small arrows will be highlighted. This is the ship's position in the enemy fleet's formation. Target the ships in the front of the formation first.
-On the bottom of the top screen, your ships are displayed. Above your ships little symbols representing your ships weapons show up, if these symbols are blue, your targeted enemy is in range, if they're red, it's out of range.