Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, they announced a bunch of DLC already but it's all previous characters. I guess they could announce more though.

And this is why I will wait for the Complete version, if I buy it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

remember that period of time bandai namco tried to machine translate literally every southeast asian release they put out because they just didn't think people would care enough for it to matter and they only started employing professional staff for those translations when they actually did receive insanely heavy pushback over how unreadable it was

remember the sword art online hollow fragment vita translation

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I definitely wonder at the people who seem able to remember the stories of games they played 15 years ago well enough to have intelligent conversations about them. That's definitely not me.

I could probably accurately summarize the plots of the likes of Xenogears or FFTactics despite not having done a full play through of either in many years.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

Soul Nomad?

Soul Nomad?!

Soul Nomad??!!!

Instant buy. I loved this dumb game. :allears:

Phantom Brave is also good. I bought it for PC years ago because I missed it, but turns out old games and poo poo I'm mostly playing on my Switch, so I never had time to really get far in my PC-version.

Though as someone who sometimes has to fight short fits of depression, man is Phantom Brave triggering. But the protagonist is just so uplifting and nice I can't forget this game.

I have the old Soul Nomad and Phantom Brave DoubleJump guides on my shelf, but I never played them more than once.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I really need to play XC1, I have it for both Wii and 3ds, but the Switch version is probably the best.

I loved XCX and would play it again with a Switch port.

I want to pick up XC2 as well at some point, but my backlog just keeps growing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

People love to constantly say how complicated the Kingdom Hearts story is. Anyone have another series they can think of that's notoriously hard to follow?

Xenosaga, even though it tries to take the time to explain itself, it's still confusing as hell.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

Wild Arms was the other RPG on PS1 near to my heart that isn't already examined to death like the Square big hitters, haven't played it in a long time but I listen to the soundtrack a lot. Don't remember much of the story except for your main guy having one of those big sacrifice/isolation/go and rescue him sequences and that you got to pilot massive golems as world map vehicles. That and WA2 were mechanically fairly simple but high points for style and setting. Ugly font though.

Wild Arms was the first PS1 RPG I owned, so it has a place in my heart for that alone.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I recently played FFT again recently (definitely going to beat it THIS time oh yeah for sure) and, dang, I forgot how hard the game can be. Maybe I've built my team poorly or something, or not doing enough of...something, but some of these story battles really kick my rear end. Even some random battles with, like, chocobos give me a hard time.

Random battles in FFT scale with your level so they can wreck you. It scales to the highest person on your roster, not whoever you deploy. But you can turn people into lovely classes like Chemist and level down to help get around that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I remember getting wrecked by the rare monster fight on Barius Hill (or whatever War of the Lions calls it)

That place can be a really nasty surprise, in Chapter 4 a lot of maps get a weird 'rare' battle, like the random Knight vs Minotaur battle in the first desert map.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I don't even know how you're meant to win that fight without just running away and using Yell

Equip a Chameleon Robe and Rubber Shoes, and Wiegraf won't use any swordskills because he thinks you're immune to them.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't gotten to that part, but I'm playing the WotL translation for the first time right now as well, and I really dig it. I miss some of the dope one-liners from the original translation--and having to relearn the skill names is wild--but I greatly enjoy how flowery and fun even the most throwaway lines are.

As for your spoiler specifically, it might just be an invention from the localization team. The same people did FF12, and in that they had a group of celestial beings talk in Iambic Tetrameter while making their rogue member speak in Iambic Pentameter, whereas the original Japanese instead had tons of layered vocals that could only be understood through subtitles to showcase their other-worldliness

The worst part of the WotL localization is they didn't do the spell chants at all and just shut them off entirely.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

How are there filler arcs in Front Mission 3? Im slamming skip dialog so fast but the madness keeps going.

Also someone on the dev team was forced to do a cursory research on China and just used the chinese government at the times talking points, but like then the whole game involves supporting a rebel faction deposing the premier.

Yeah, China drags on way too long for both stories.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, he just sucks and there is no reason to use him.

Cloud would suck a lot less if he didn't require a single mediocre sword to use his class ability. Also, he can wear the female-only head armor (ribbon et.al.).
But yeah, him coming in at level 1 really sucks.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

If nothing has changed since the fall, Lab Zero is still technically around but Mike Z laid off the remaining employees after a bunch quit following the accusations against him.

That being said, Indivisible is a nice looking game that isn't very good.

Now I kind of regret backing Indivisible, and then when I got it, the gameplay wasn't that great. It was like...the good parts of Valkyrie Profile's combat got eaten by the bad parts of highly-technical fighting games.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

KOTOR uses the d20 system. Similar to stuff like swords and sorcery only Star Wars instead of generic fantasy.

And there was a d20 Star Wars system before Saga Edition, so they may have borrowed directly from that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

RE Village reminds me of how rare it is to see a single-player campaign that is front and centre the main attraction, but also doesn't exceed 10 hours. The runtime is augmented by the extensive New Game+, the Challenge list, and the Mercenaries minigame.

What JRPGs or ARPGs wrap poo poo up in 10-12 hours? As in you'll see pretty much everything (Main and Side) by the end playing normally, not that the campaign itself can be speedrunned. The Stick of Truth takes 14 hours, while all the early Ys games scarely break 10.

I can 100% Suikoden 1 in about 14 hours if I'm being lazy about it. But its been a while since they made games that short.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FFTactics had 'Oil' which didn't do anything but was supposed to make you take more fire damage. It also had Charm as a strictly better Confuse.

If you dig real deep you find out that Morbols (Malboros) had a hidden skill that could make any generic unit or monster into another Morbol, which is kind of terrifying. Thankfully it would never appear in the wild.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Indivisible. Do not play, not even if you love final bosses that don't follow the established rules of the games combat system and require you to memorize a pattern you've never seen before for a rythm game

The game's combat system was bad enough with how timing-based it was, I'm glad I dropped it, upon hearing this.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Crisis Core was one of the top selling PSP games, even outpacing two Monster Hunter games. Now that I think about it, it's pretty crazy it hasn't gotten a PC or Switch port.

Wasn't there something about Gackt revoking the rights to use his likeness so they can't sell the game anymore? I vaguely remember hearing something about that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Xenogears, legend of legaia, saga frontier (though play the remaster)

Gaius Marius posted:

Front mission 3

Amppelix posted:

Valkyrie Profile

Zore posted:

Suikoden 1+2

These are all really good suggestions that I'll second, I only cot out the ones I haven't played myself.

I'll also put up Final Fantasy Tactics, I know that FF was mentioned, but that one seems to fall through the cracks a lot.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I will always suggest that people play Suikoden 1 + 2 at the very least.

Shining Force 1 + 2, Phantasy Star 4, Final Fantasy Legend 1 + 2 are all solid games as well, though the FFL games can be a little brutal, being SaGa games at heart.

Of all of these PS4 has a very non-fantasy setting, while FFL 2 has a very...eclectic setting.

Shining Force is very stock fantasy, but in a charming way. Suikoden is also fantasy, but very differently done from say SMRPG.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xenogears remains one of my favorite RPGs, despite its jank, cut content and nonsensical plot beats.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ace Transmuter posted:

It's just a peck on the cheek. Adorable, yes, but I wouldn't count it.

Yeah, the only full on-screen kisses I can recall across the entire FF series is in FFVIII's ending and the FFX lake scene, and FFIV maybe depending on how you want to interpret two tiny sprites smushed together. I can't even think of any other Squeenix games with an on-screen kiss.

Fei and Elly absolutely do the deed in Xenogears.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Finally started my Xenogears replay. Just finished Nortune.

I forgot everyone calls Weltall the "black Gear." I'm no good with colors but Grahf's gear is black. This is...dark blue?

A lot of obviously bad grammar pops up now and then.

The battle system is not helped by ability descriptions being bad, as well as a lot of mechanics not being explained ever. Like Response being possibly the most critical stat for Gears, or Evasion Rings on characters carrying over to their Gears. I didn't know about this at all until I vaguely remembered someone telling me and I checked online.

If Xenogears were ever remastered, the translation and battle system info need a nice layer of polish. That would be my main priority. I dunno if you can do anything for the graphics, I think they were bad even when XG came out. Game ahs great cinematography though, they do the best they can with what they got.

If you're the kind of person who hates late party members, man XG is overflowing with them. Elly is like the second main character and she just now joined the party. Gonna be a long, long time before we get Maria or Emeralda, too.

Been a while since I replayed Xenogears, it was definitely one of those games that really shaped the kind of games I like.

I wish SE would remember it exists beyond overpriced figures and cheeky references in mediocre games like World of Final Fantasy.

I want to fight Grahf in the giant robot they gave me in FF14.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is Suikoden 2 remarkably better than Suikoden 1? I hate the forced party members of 1.

Also I barely used Runes in 1, do they become more useful in 2?

Yes, they added a 'convoy' where you can put forced characters if you don't want them in your combat party, though its not applicable all of the time sadly. And most characters get 2 or 3 rune slots now, and rune combinations are easier to pull off.

You also have a party inventory on top of individual ones, and managing your team's gear at your base is a lot easier.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

About to take leave of my senses and play Xenosaga... I somehow have all three games in my collection but haven't played them.

I pre-emptively apologize for part 2. But I'm someone who's played part 1 multiple times.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Give me all the JRPGs where the lead isn't a dark-haired sword guy.

Suikoden 1's hero uses a staff.
Suikoden 2's hero uses Tonfa.
Suikoden 3 has three main characters, one is sadly a dark-haired man who uses a sword.
Suikoden 4's main character has awful looking light brown hair and uses two swords.
Suikoden 5's hero has silver hair and uses a three-sectioned staff.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Delsaber posted:

The guy in Suikoden Tactics has darkish brown hair but his weapon is some weird thing that looks so outlandish it may as well be a Klingon bat'leth

Eiyuden Chronicle's lead looks like he's using a pair of repurposed fishing tools

Those are chinese-style Hook Swords. They pop up in Dynasty Warriors too.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

X also had a super sprint and no fall damage

Port XBX to Switch, cowards.

And in other news, hell yeah Front Mission!

And live a Live.

Now remake Xenogears.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

VP has my favorite spell / attack quotes of any rpg series. Everyone is just so full of themselves :allears:

"Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence! Thou shalt have it!"

Yeah. They're all pretty great.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1528774379026251777

Wasn't expecting classic RPGs to get trophies as part of the PS1 service thing. This will be a fun excuse to replay it!

Let me put my Wild Arms CD into my PS4 to unlock it from the store, cowards.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

After the Zodiac Age, Deadfire, and Dragon Quest XI, I'm at a loss for the next game that let's me automate the combat.

I'm all for outfitting party-members and fiddling with their skill-trees, but when an RPG has you fight thousands of foes I'm going to switch off sooner or later and tell the CPU to take of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA&t=81s

Phantasy Star 4 might be old, but it had a great macro system for combat, which is doubly useful because there are combo attacks that rely on doing attacks in a certain order.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I almost want to say you should play the Suikoden games in chronological order rather than release order, as you'd start with the absolute worst game in the series, but then you'd go from 4 to 5, then 1-2-3. THough at that point going back tot he PS1 games might be welcome after the load times in 5. The art for 1 and 2 definitely still holds up though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Item Getter posted:

There was an old Mac shareware game called Realmz which had all its mechanics directly cribbed from D&D and I think especially the Gold Box games in particular.
They eventually got sued by TSR and their response was to keep all the game mechanics exactly the same but change the name of everything in the game rules (character stats, classes etc) to something really stupid. My favorite was that experience points got changed to "Victory Points".
Also they had to change "Halfling" to "Furfoot" which is rich since in D&D itself they're called Halflings since they legally couldn't call them Hobbits

drat, that was a blast from the past, I played an absolute ton of Realmz as a kid. I mostly remember using 'Festering Wounds' on everything. What a great name for a spell.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I'm now picturing Persona 5 Makoto racing on her Persona/bike.

New Persona spinoff, PersonaKart!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember an unwinnable boss fight in Xenogears where if you won, you got a rare item, but in the cutscene immediately afterwards, win or lose, the boss has reinforcements show up.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

As I said in the Disgaea thread, I'm surprised at the faster turnaround. Though this already looks better than 6 did. I haven't touched 6 because of the middling reviews and it's still $70 on PC.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Quackles posted:

What’s so bad about Tierkreis? I liked it when I played it…

From what I know, it had absolutely nothing to do with any of the other games in terms of setting, when fans where begging for more storeis inthe world they already knew. Its like they slapped the Suikoden name on it just to sell.

I'm still surprised Konami hasn't made a Suikoden Gacha game, it's practically tailor-made for it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Suikoden 1 is a short enough game that playing it twice to unlock everyone a second time isn't a huge chore. I think I've beaten it rather casually in about...9-10 hours. Call it between 15-20 for a first playthrough if you don't know all the systems.

2 however is a much longer game with much weirder recruitment, so absolutely use a guide if you play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

I'm just here for the Front Mission remasters

Glad we finally got a date, and I'm shocked that they're adding FM3 to that list, I played the hell out of the game.