Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Well, at least the Vita isn't region-locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It really isn't that strange that half of all gaming journalists (or whatever that statistic was) have never played an Ultima game, nor is it surprising that there are some gaming journalists working in the industry in the year of our lord 2012 that have never heard of the series that hasn't had a major release this century.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

How would you feel about someone who covers FPSs who has never heard of DOOM?

1) What exactly would that change in the coverage?
2) I would be much more upset if they had never heard of Call of Duty because that's far more relevant to the modern industry.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Azraden posted:

You're missing the point by a wide margin. It has to do with the fact that if you cover a genre/medium, you should know the history.

But why?

Amethyst posted:

What the hell kind of lovely standard is this? In any other field, people writing on a subject are expected to know that subject with a reasonable amount of depth. No wonder gaming journalism is a joke.

Video games are a relatively new, rapidly changing medium. It absolutely occupies a different sphere from film and literature and music.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Do you think cinema is a static medium that suffers from having a highly knowledgeable body of criticism?

What I'm saying is I don't expect everyone who talks about movies to have sat through Birth of a Nation or Battleship Potemkin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Anyone who gets paid to write about movies sure as poo poo better know about those, otherwise they will be writing garbage.

And why is that? Do they have to reference those two films in every piece of writing they do? Enlighten me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Amethyst posted:

The Birth of a Nation and Battleship Potempkin. The two films that pioneered modern narrative and editing techniques, respectively.

Meh, unimportant. Just hire bobby he likes those matrix flicks.

No one said they were unimportant. Try again.

Also, read this post:

nessin posted:

And that has what to do with knowing about Ultima? So if a games journalist covers an RPG and knows about Ultima they're article will suddenly be better? Sweet, what else can we apply that type of logic to?

What if the article was on Final Fantasy? If they know the history of Final Fantasy it will be crap, but if they know the history of the entire RPG gaming industry, including Ultima, they'll instantly make a better article?

Keep your argument straight, we're not talking about the state of the gaming journalism at large, we're talking about how ridiculous it is to assume that historical knowledge of Ultima is connected to a journalists ability to write a quality article about an RPG.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Then why is he writing about a pc game?

Because sometimes people are assigned jobs that are outside of their sphere of interest or expertise. It happens.

Amethyst posted:

That interview is specifically about Ultima VII's influence on Divine Divinity.

Which interview are you talking about? The only thing I'm seeing linked is this, and it sounds more like the journalists were invited to talk about project e and (Swen?) happened to bring up that Ultima VII was a big source of inspiration during the discussion.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Not very surprising considering the quality of work these idiots pump out.

Agreed. That group of unnamed, unidentified journalists sure are a bunch of hacks.

Also, you should really read the next paragraph after he says that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Heh, wow there is a lot of nerdrage in the last few pages.

It made me unironically vote this thread 5. It's like neoGAF levels of nerdrage.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

http://andriasang.com/con1v6/trademark_ogre_battle/

Some rumors about an original Ogre Battle remake. Just rumors based on trademarks so not worth much but still pretty dreamy to imagine.

Can you imagine? An Ogre Battle that runs as fast as Tactics Ogre PSP? Sigh.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

maketakunai posted:

2 Days Left MP3 is available on Square's TWEWY site now, if it's Friday where you live, it adds Hybrid to the medley. I don't think the song changes until 1:13. English lyrics are around then, then there's Japanese lyrics around 4:03.

1 Days Left MP3 (+Twister) and 0 Days Left MP3 (+Twister #2 "The Power is Yet Unknown") are also available, but only accessible through URL or time/date changing. :ssh:

0 Days Left background image very clearly shows the 104 Building and the text "TIMELIMIT WITHIN 7 DAYS", same as in the game. The player pin is also overlaid on the right side of the image.

I hope it's an actual sequel but that's probably hoping for too much :(

I hope it's an actual sequel and they call the US version "The World Ends With Tu"
(But it isn't and they won't)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Now, I've never played any of the Romancing SaGa or Frontier games. What are the best ways to play them? Are there particularly good translation patches for RS1-3? Is the PS2 remake of RS1 worth tracking down? Should I just plow through them in chronological order?

Romancing SaGa 1 is loving terrible and annoying as poo poo. I can cut it some slack for being really ambitious for an early SNES game, but there is just so much that is absolutely terrible about it. Next to the hot mess that is SaGa Frontier, it's probably the most unfinished game in the series.
The PS2 remake is better in most ways, worse in some, but at least you don't have to constantly waste turns adjusting your formation because you bumped into an enemy the wrong way!

Romancing SaGa 2 is a much, much better game, but it is still a SaGa game and thus has so many glaring imperfections that are hard to overlook. It's easier to find things to do, the game lays out your overall goal much more clearly, and the quests tend to have a lot of different ways they can play out, and that's really neat. But, you know, there's no translation patch for it, and, well, you really don't wanna try diving into it in a language you don't understand. If a translation patch does eventually come out, yeah, you should totally get on it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Are the hidden characters worth getting? Or for that matter, is Cloud still pretty much useless?

Balthier is pretty much amazing and worth going through the trouble of picking up, and you literally cannot miss Luso. He's basically a clone of Ramza with innate Poach. Which, that has its uses.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

The phase of the... Was it the sun or the moon in Nocturne? Anyway, the phase of whatever it is (which should be listed on your HUD somewhere) can affect how demons react to you talking to them. And some other things, I think.

It's Kagutsuchi in Nocturne, the Sun (or Solar Noise, I guess) in DDS, and Moon in pretty much everything else that uses the system.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Neverwinter Night 2 Complete is up on GoG. It includes Mysteries of Westgate too, which I hear wasn't available on the Steam version (but it was also apparently not very good at all so maybe that was a good thing).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Purple-haired girl has looked pretty derpy from the very first announcement of the game and they really haven't done anything to fix her since then. She looks like she was made on the character generator for some crappy Korean MMO. The kid looks more like a midget granny but that might be what they're going for I dunno.

Based on how she looks in the scans it looks like they've actually made her worse.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I am glad I did not play Star Ocean 4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like they want to be Vanilla Ware.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It will generate more revenue than any previous Breath of Fire title, even adjusting for inflation.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2t6DUDFMc

She has wings in the animated trailer, but it's more in a JRPG Magical Heroine Special Ability sort of way, rather than "I am literally from a race of people who have wings."

Apparently they announced that Ryu was in the game too:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

BoF 3's Nina's wings link her bloodline directly back to several important plot points in the game, such as the origin of the Royal Family and their link to the final boss

...elaborate, I don't remember that plot point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I thought everyone hated Disgaea 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

nappy time is infamous but i think so4's weirdest moment is definitely blowing up alternate earth and the subsequent reaction of your party

it's kind of weird that welch is in 5 because I thought they stated multiple times they wanted to distance themselves from 4? I know welch first appeared in 3,

They are distancing themselves from SO4, which is why they have her looking more like she did in SO1-3 than the purple-haired thing in SO4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

People like Star Ocean 2 because the graphics are charmingly weird in that PS1-era JRPG way that you just don't see anymore.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This video was in the side bar. This one may be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDHgznXB3Bg

This is real bad.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ar tonelico qoga knell of ar ciel

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Star Ocean 3's cardinal sin was that the big medieval planet you spend about 40-60% of the game on is a big waste of time. No, really, the entirety of the first disc's arc can be summed up as "killing time until our ship picks us up". Nothing on the planet relates to anything in the story at-large, and you spend the entirety of it feeling rushed through because of the actually important plot points set up in the first half-hour. All you gain out of it is a few party members tagging along to see space.

I vaguely recall you needing a McGuffin from the first planet you handled on the first disc to get to the final dungeon, or something. But yeah, even though getting stuck on a medieval planet is Science Fiction JRPG Star Ocean's "thing", it felt especially egregious here, like they could only think of so much to do with the space setting.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

A lot of folks seemed to like SO4's actual gameplay, but the Literally Every Other Aspect Of The Game is apparently kind of a deal breaker.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

First Departure is cool because they took out the Secret of Mana-style world map from the SNES version and replaced it with a normal one and it really highlights how much of the game is spent walking in a straight line. (To compensate for this, they made all the towns into these huge labyrinths. Sadly, the backgrounds lacked any of the weirdness and warmth of SO2's and were just kind of generic and boring)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The only good game on the PS1 was Ape Escape.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

A retranslation patch that is hilariously terrible.

Other acceptable answers are Legend of Legaia and Wild Arms 2.

Speaking of hilariously terrible translations...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSQceg4CELM

But man, Wild Arms 2 had some absolutely gorgeous opening animations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

And then there's Wild Arms 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LdpkVyzvM

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

All OPs are beautiful.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Who knows how long Marvelous will stay in the video game business though. All they make anymore is titty games and farming games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Chaos is undeniably more heroic since it doesn't have you being party to war crimes but Law is a lot more interesting from both a gameplay and story perspective.

The PSP version makes Law the undoubtedly superior path since they added a bunch of new content to it.

Anyway I really like Tomomi Kobayashi's Romancing SaGa 2 character design art:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man Louis Vuitton is going in some daring new directions.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite part of CC is how the main character has no reason to anything, especially if you keep telling Kid to gently caress off or ignoring her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Xenogears and Chrono Cross are both games where I'm like "Yeah, I really like them, except for this section of the game, and this one, and this part is pretty annoying, and..."

At least CC is pretty.