Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, I guess it's good to hear that Wikipedia's sanctity is preserved on those pages. And I guess the anime franchise is just extremely anime. I could joke about it eventually getting an isekai soccer spin-off, but it probably already exists and is on its fourth season right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

IRVINE, Calif. - December 7, 2023 – Tonight at The Game Awards 2023, one of the largest annual video
game industry events in the world, SEGA of America unveiled an initiative to produce brand new titles
from the publisher’s treasure trove of beloved IP. New games are currently in development for five of
the company's legacy franchises: Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Shinobi and Streets of Rage – all
reimagined for modern audiences.
[...]
Today's announcement is just the start of our initiative. First and foremost, our ambition will be to
create great games with memorable characters and worlds.
We hope fans of all ages will look towards
our future with anticipation as we release these projects in the coming years.”

So clearly everyone needs to buy all five of those and we'll get our RPG bonus!

The bonus will be a Rent A Hero game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 15, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it didnt start development as a turn based game but the switch happened pretty early on

There was a quote that the change to a RPG format was based on the positive response a video released on April 1st, but some people apparently didn't realize that was a joke and the video was released on the first day of a new financial year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noioqCv92hM

RGG Studio's Masayoshi Yokoyama:
“Of course it was a joke, we decide on those things before we ever start developing the game. It was not a late decision.”

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 22, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FutureCop posted:

Saw this post in the January thread:

I could've sworn they were on sale before, but maybe I'm thinking of the older versions?

Anyway, was wondering if there were some recs for must-buy. I'm assuming the obvious answer is either 'all of them' or VI, which I have been meaning to replay since I barely remember anything from childhood play except the basic beats. I've already played V recently and liked it a lot, and was thinking the last must-buy one is probably IV? Though there are so many version of IV, so I wonder if the pixel remaster is the best?

The Complete Collection version of IV for PSP has GBA features like the end-game party member swapping, the short dungeon with late-game gear for the characters this (re)enables and a big bonus dungeon.

I feel like the Pixel Remaster is a safer bet tho, with the additional shine and QoL fixes it offers. You might not even want that bonus content when you've finished the game. I think it is better to treat the FFIV 3D Remake as a bonus since it does have significant differences.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

i'm just really glad i never developed the mind goblins some people have about stealing in rpgs. unless they do something wholly unique with it it's the most ignorable game mechanic to me.

when i originally played ffix, i don't think i used that command once.

I've never liked it until Bravely Default. Being able to get a very high success rate*. Being able to get two copies of whatever you stole. Having a command that steals from every enemy in battle (at a lower chance, but still). Also, being able to use the Brave system to steal stuff in battles and still contribute some more at the start of the turn. Like attacks that can sting as hell. I loved having a Thief+Ranger with a bow for a large part of the first game.

*Probably not as high as I initially thought it was because of how Master Thief works, but it still felt like I wasn't whiffing as much.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 11, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think that also is an issue for OG Xbox emulation, in addition to not having a whole lot of decent exclusives left (moreso if you throw backwards compatibility in the mix).

very e;f,b on this

bewilderment posted:

lol yeah I just edited that into the post.

Could have travelled back in time to add it in!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Zereth posted:

... What does carry over if you have save data from the first one?

Leviathan Summon - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ramuh Summon - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Remake Episode INTERmission
Kupo Charm - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth demo
Survival Set - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth demo

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's not on PC outside of emulation, but I'd think Etrian Odyssey V would be better than EO III. Resetting a character's skillpoints costs just 2 levels instead of 5. The XP share for characters that are not currently in your party is an accessory (Memory Conch) that one active person needs to equip, instead of having it be a skill that each character needs to invest in like III (Combat Study).

I don't think there is a lot of intrigue/story to the dungeon, but it has a lot more dungeon events and race related skills which give your characters a tiny bit more identity (along with the voice barks). In the beginning of the game classes are locked to certain races, but that restriction is removed by the starting quest on the very first floor. There's room to experiment, although consulting an online skill simulator to see what specific skill points do is something that helps.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 9, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

To me The Bouncer will forever be the game that had a character theme which use samples of bagpipes and the sitar(?) for the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LH7_k14cnc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

For the Drakengard connection, you'll want to watch its Ending E. I can't tell you how it's all exactly related, but that is basically the starting point.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh85CUuqBE0

Press release: https://www.gunghoonline.com/article/502/grandia-hd-collection-launches-march-26-2024-on-playstation-4-and-xbox-one

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I can't imagine forgetting the special move themes from BD1, considering how often you should (probably!) hear them. There is a reason why the true final boss theme does a very quick medley of them, it's a nice moment of encouragement.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

So Legend of Legacy is supposed to be bad, right? Noticed an HD version or whatever just launched and it got me a bit curious.

The Alliance Alive was made later, but already got a HD port years ago. Even the developer and publisher know the later game was far better.

I don't know if it is considered bad tho. It just isn't good enough to make it to a "best RPGs that were on the 3DS" list unless you are making a top 50. Barely.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 25, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Listen, we appreciate that like to play obscure games of often questionable quality and post about it, but it's not cool to just make games up, okay!

Interplay as a brand has been such a shitshow since 2003.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm running out of Chawotte screenshots I haven't posted before. I might have to resort to some oldies the next time she is brought up!

I remember people not liking the English dub for Riesz either, but I don't know if that has to do with the character just not being very exciting, in remake of a game that probably wasn't loved because of the storytelling to begin with.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 28, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/SaGaGame/status/1775478437161181427

https://twitter.com/romasaga2_pr/status/1775479500681454005

quote:

The main character changes depending on the platform🎮
PS5&4☞Tsunori Mido edition
Switch☞Ameya edition
Steam☞Diva Number 5 edition

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, I dunno. Outside of the Trials remake I don't think it'd be a hot take to say the entire Mana franchise is filled with creatively wonderful but mechanically flawed games. Some entries like Children, Heroes, and Dawn are more or less outright bad. Others like Sword and Legend are at least innocuous for the most part and just have the curse of being very shallow games that somehow get layers upon layers of utterly pointless subsystems. And the early entries are just Old games with some weird quirks that have aged terribly like Secret's actively detrimental weapon charging and spell leveling or SD3's horrible habit of punishing you with fullscreen counters for using your fun toys. There's things to admire in most of the games, especially the art and music direction, but good lord it took until Trials remake to create one where I don't really have to introduce to folks with any caveats for the gameplay side of things.

Not only is Sword a game with utter pointless subsystems, it has a finale where they replace your protagonist being the one being left into saving the world with several people and the Power Of Friendship(TM). The original has a character who dies at the very start of the game to kick things off, in Sword HE'S THERE UNTIL THE VERY END. It has such insane padding of that 8-bit shallowness. You know that vampire you defeat while staying in a mansion in the original? He couldn't just be an early boss you know, so now he has a TRAGIC BACKSTORY.

I have never played the second remake of FFA, Adventures of Mana, but I hope it didn't pretend to be something else than an old game with some fresh paint and some tweaks.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I got somewhat annoyed by post-game floor Hall of Darkness 2 in Etrian Odyssey IV, but then someone pointed out to me that you need to use the rooms with (orange) damaging tiles as a mirror/reference for the ones with (yellow) pitfalls :shobon:

GameFAQs map for said floor. It's very obvious when you see the map in full. You enter the floor at the top-left stairs and they basically give you a tutorial (and I didn't notice).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 28, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

IIRC there are some monster absorbs that you can miss for a while if you put off getting the Vampire job. (Not forever, but they don't show up again until the postgame dungeon I think?)

Confirmed, Blue Mage Vampire in Bravely Default 1 has a limited window on certain abilities or you'll have to wait to the very end for a dungeon you might not even care about anymore.

Luckily the game has plenty of other classes to play around with it so you don't feel like missing out. You don't need White Wind to have kickass heals, you can be so deadly there is no time to even heal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They're going to scrape the barrel sooner or later.

It's been decades since I read the weekly Donald Duck magazine in my country, but I remember every now and then it had Brother/Br'er Rabbit comics and I'd almost describe them as wholesome. I imagine most Europeans also were just entirely unaware of the historical/oral traditions the character came from and with Song of the South not being available it was just firmly disconnected from any context. To both the writers and the readers.

I think they changed it so that the forest and plains in the comics were near Duckburg? It's weird, because I don't remember crossovers with the weekly Donald Duck comics or any signs that it was in the 20th century. So yeah, it kind of existed without even acknowledging its roots. Apparently they stopped producing/repeating Br'er Rabbit comics since 2021 tho. Seems that Disney was done with that remnant Song of the South reference still being kept alive, regardless of how it was used.

The (Dutch) Donald Duck magazine also occasionally featured comics starring José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles from "The Three Caballeros". I wonder if those two still make appearances these days.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

wanted dead is the funniest one for me cause it's one of those jp action games where the english dub is the only one and like. the main characters generally settle into their roles the best they can but they clearly didn't have actual voice direction helping them so there's a lot of them just winging it. and then you get a few bafflingly bad one off vas who are obviously just doing a very basic stiff line read and calling it a day

All I remember from that game's voice acting is that there is only one take of a guy yelling "GRENADE" and you'll hear it often.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

insane Marshmallow erasure happening itt!!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's not a RPG (although it has skill trees and such), but Far Cry 4 has a really early premature ending that has you "team up" with the bad guy. Turns out that if you actually listen to his request to wait for a bit (10-15 minutes), instead of following your gut feeling to flee an awkward scene filled with violence, well, you can actually get to spread your mother's ashes in her homeland right away!

Ubisoft then promptly had another early alternate ending in Far Cry 5, but it just doesn't really work if you are a sheriff's deputy who walks into a cultist compound and then suddenly decides "no, I will not actually arrest the cult leader" and walk away.