Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anyone got any good first person dungeon crawler recommendations? I picked up Galleria and it was going ok but the end game sounds bad and the now game of character building is a complex mess. The game is also not cool about it's child characters. If it helps, the last one of these I really liked was Dungeon Travelers 2 (up until it was also not cool about it's child character either). Preferably on ps4/5. PC or Switch also fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Child of Light was pretty meh. Pretty and good music but the story never really went anywhere in the time I played it and the battle system was a big snore. Not a lot of options in combat and it was intentionally made as a beginner rpg.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

i remember the giant bomb lady who was convinced dream daddy was radical queer representation, the first gay visual novel to ever exist

Yeah she got into a big slapfight trying to get Dream Daddy over Nier and the giantbomb thread wouldn't let it go for years.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't gaslight me, I've seen the "what is kingdom heart's storyline" youtube summaries and it's all over the loving place

There's a ton of lore and backstory that is all confusing bullshit if you really try and plot it out. The secret of KH is that you don't have to. You just play the game and you cheer when the power of friendship does something and you boo when some dweeb in a black robe (or maybe a white robe if playing 2) is on the screen. Knowing the entire tree of who is who's heartless and who is their nobody has 0 relevance in the game at any point because they either show up and help you or they get in your way so you bonk them.

Edit: For the record, I didn't play any of the spinoffs. I played 1 (sucks), 2 (good), and 3 (also good) and did not ever feel particularly lost about what was going on in any of them.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 9, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, you guys were talking about Monark this week and now it's on sale for 33$ till May 11th

Someone, tell me about that Sakura Wars game, on one hand I'm tempted but not fully sold on getting it, but on the other it's dropped to 15$ which is a price I'm willing to give a game a shot for. The other issue is that there are six games that aren't on sale right now but I know I'll definitely play eventually; like Live-a-Live, Crisis Core, Isshin, and Megaman Battle Network.

More characters in general need to use unconventional weaponry. Take more inspiration from Jackie Chan, drat you. At least the new Breath of the Wild game is following up on that.

Sakura wars was ok from what I played of it. I enjoyed some of the writing and characters but the action sucked and despite my best efforts I could not 100% entirely avoid being a standard harem anime protag creep. I tapped out when I got to the chapter about the 14 year old ninja because I didn't really have any reason to give it the benefit of the doubt. Like that chapter might be fine, but nothing was compelling enough to give it a chance and not assume it wouldn't do something terrible since there was at least 1 aggressively terrible event per chapter.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

The coomer game connoisseur

Anyway I clicked on the sex with Hitler 2 link and you know, at least it delivered what the title promised

If there's one complaint you can't level at sex with hitler 2 it's false advertising.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I hear that Stephanie Sterling gave TotK a 6/10

Are they still super mad at weapons that break?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

see the last time you posted that I thought I had an idea of how horny “really horny” was, then I saw a summary of the scene in question and learned I wasn’t anywhere close. it makes vanillaware’s excesses look like they belong in a nunnery

Ehhh I think it's about the same level as Dragon's Crown to be honest. Though I quit Astlibra around the start of chapter 8 so I may have missed some stuff.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

- Turns out the old man was building...a wig. To disguise the MC as a girl so we can take the place of the chosen sacrifices. The purpose of the white underwear is waved away
- To complete our disguise, we need women's clothing. Our tag-along mage (who again, seems to be mentally about 4 years old) gives us her robes. She doesn't have a second set so continues on in her underwear

Clarification on these, not that it will make that whole section any less weird:

The mage did not do a good job communicating what wanted to do to the horny crafter man. Crafter man thought she wanted a sexy outfit and wig for her and not the MC. Since they've only got so many lady outfits, the MC ends up wearing the mages default getup and wig while the mage has to wear the sexy bikini underwear. The mages default outfit is actually a piece of equipment that the MC can wear and I believe as long as he is wearing it, she wears the lingerie and goes back to her default outfit when you switch your armor. May have to re-equip her but I don't remember if the followers even have changeable equipment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The Colonel posted:

tbh i do not care if a one-man project has some weird fetish stuff cause like. bro you made a whole rpg you loving earned that

It's not just weird fetish stuff though, it's also every bottom of the barrel lovely trope from overly horny but not quite hentai anime. So it isn't just that it's weirdly horny, it's that it's poorly written and has people doing lovely things constantly. It was grating the entire time. I have a high enough tolerance for that kind of thing where I was willing to put up with it while the gameplay and everything else was good, but the second the gameplay began to overstay it's welcome I was out of there.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

sounds better than dragon age

Well definitely better than at least 2 and Inquisition.

Meowywitch posted:

so it's better than Iconoclasts then

Also yes, gently caress that game sucked.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

I get why it's the case but god the icons they use for the emotions in the English version are bad

Pick Cod every time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

All I want out of the next persona is for them to not have visiting the dungeon take up a day so I can personally set the pace to my own tastes instead of the insane 4 real hours spent clearing a dungeon followed by 4 real hours spent visual novelling. Because I'll be damned if I am going to be inefficient with my "free" time and dip in and out of the dungeon as I desire otherwise.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think what really broke me is mid during the whole situation people were saying to just play Riot games and how amazing Riot is instead, when they were still kneedeep in their horrific sex crimes lawsuits and made me realize people don't actually care about what happened but what "team" they like more.

Riot sucks but there have at least been some vague indicators that things were getting better. There's no such indicator for Blizzard at all.

Edit: To be clear, they're both awful.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 12, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Marisa is the best! Also pleasantly surprised at how popular she is, think she's the 4th or 5th most played character which is pretty uncommon for atypically designed women.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

If I was going to put forth a Final Fantasy game for 'worst mainline FF game', I'd give that to FF2.

You could certainly defend it as serving as the template for the Saga games, and I kind of admire it for how dire the setting is compared to most other FF games. However, I can't think of many people who are real fond of FF2.

Having played the pixel remaster, I'd rank 2 higher than 4 and 9.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Wandering through PS Plus idly, and wondering if anyone would recommend downloading Cris Tales, seeing as it's included with membership.

I got bored with it in less than an hour, but it's "free" so why not just try it?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Rascyc posted:

People were right the mid game side quests in ff16 are way more interesting than the start

They actually just keep getting better. Not really in terms of like, mechanics. But the stories of the major npc's involved are pretty great.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

Playing FF16 after Tears of the Kingdom was a really fascinating contrast in terms of how rewarding the exploration and combat felt. I would much rather fight a Tears dragon or lynel than most of the enemies in FF16, though I definitely enjoyed fighting mobs of regular enemies in FF16 quite a bit. I really wish that FF16 let me chain stingers and teleport moves when the combat music wasn't playing, the forced pauses in between mobility powers were quite annoying.

Are totk dragons different from botw dragons? Because the botw dragons are pretty much the worst designed encounter I've ever seen in a AAA game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Hot take that pretty much everyone in this thread is gonna disagree with but Tales is just a bad series. I loved Destiny as a kid because I'd never played anything like it but every game in the series I've played since has failed to grab me. If I did want to give one another shot which do y'all reckon is the best and why?

I... mostly agree. I loved Berseria and Xillia and really did not care for the other 4 tales games I've played (zesteria, arise, xillia 2, vesperia).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Dont post any FF16 spoilers pls.

Anyway Arise had a great opening act but it got worse after that I think. Both story and gameplay. When you had a duo you could actually see whats going on.

I didn't even make it through the opening act before getting too mad at the plot to continue. Got to the part with the crows and tapped out, though the damage was done in the immediate act prior.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like this conversation came up in either the tales thread or this thread around when arise came out? Iirc some reviewer was really mad that the combat was so easy that they could just turn on the auto battle and never engage with it, and this made the combat in the game too boring because the game just played itself

When told maybe they would have more fun if they played the battles they got increasingly angry about it

On the one hand that is very silly. On the other, I remember most fights in Arise being over in under 15 seconds anyway.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Looper posted:

what rpgs are everyone playing

FF16 which I wrapped up a couple days ago. Diablo 4 if that counts but my enthusiasm for that is quickly waning. Probably finish the renown grind and then tap out except when my partner wants to play. Otherwise, next game I'll play is probably Dave the Diver or Troubleshooters which this thread has conned me into.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

MechaX posted:

So I just finished FF16 (great game imo) and I'm finishing up Ghost Trick Remastered; I want to play another RPG and I am.. slowly but surely going through Trails FC, but this ain't about that.

I'm debating going through a replay of Xenoblade X or Chained Echoes, as I am maybe... an hour into the latter (I met the red-haired sultry thief who also doubles as Vergil, and I guess Argath from FFT is in our party but no one is loving telling him off). What do people here think about Chained Echoes overall?

Chained Echoes is... fine. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either and I fell off of it after 10-12 hours? Fundamentally, I don't think it had enough combat and the combat was the best part behind the art, and maybe the soundtrack. Areas were generally too sparsely populated and more of a pain to explore than a joy. If I was fighting more often I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

My new big scam is getting billionaires to make this machine

I'm gonna use it to put weirdos who can't explain things beyond 'hate bad anime' 'bad anime tropes' or just the most vague poo poo in the world. Talk about poo poo you don't like clearly dammit. People who don't like durians are not unsubtle about it, explain yourself for once. You don't like 'overqualified teenage heroes?' okay, that's something we can work with! Do you not like knight and princess stories? That's a lot of games people don't need to recommend anymore. loving use your drat words.

85% of the time when someone says this, it is shorthand for, "this game is more weird than I am comfortable with as it pertains to non-adults."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

'kingdom hearts is too anime' i dont think a single character in that entire franchise knows what sex is

Goofy is a dad. Goofy fucks.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

A Sinister Rap posted:

I dropped Soul Hackers 2 when they said that they were planning on patching it, but then I never went back. It's a shame because I was enjoying it enough despite it's flaws and I remember liking Ringo quite a bit, to the point I got frustrated that some people kept hyperfixating on one out of context line she has.

I went back after it was patched and that doesn't change that you go from a large subway dungeon for chapter 2 into... a second, larger subway dungeon for chapter 3. Combined with the mind palaces all being the same poo poo endlessly it's just... boring. I wanted to like it, the cast is pretty good and I was liking the story and combat but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Too much subway tunnel.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Is that game good? It has the worst name ever, but I saw the premise for it years ago and it looked interesting.

I got gifted it a billion years ago and played it and it was fun then, but I haven't touched it in like... 10 years.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FFTA was better than FFT.

FFTA was pretty mid, but it also doesn't have the Weigraf fight so I am forced to concur with this opinion.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I just hope it's a good Armored Core game because the last time I played one that I really liked was... 2.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Feeling bad for Sea of Stars since they decided to release it right in the middle of the AC6 / Starfield / BG3 (kinda) gently caress zone.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pikmin 4's first week sales are higher than Pikmin 1-3's combined. It's doing just fine.

It's even dumber if it's physical sales because PS5 games benefit from being digital and installed on the SSD, rather than using a disc (while it doesn't really matter for a Switch game). Plus digital sales are getting more and more popular in general. The biggest reason to have a disc drive on a PS5 is if you want to play physical PS4 games imo.

The weird thing about ff16 is that I have a disc ps5, bought ff16 digital, but it made my cd drive spin the entire time. Real odd.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

BG3 rules. 5E sucks. I might have a decent time in a 5E game if it had BG3 rules since my personal big bugbear is melees not having interesting decisions in 5th. That said, I am going to devil's advocate for 5E here for a little bit. While I find that it becoming the most popular D&D ever personally galling, and to some degree this was a huge lucky break for some of the worst designers that it was out during the pandemic and some big streamers picked it up and then Stranger Things, I have to admit it did do a couple of things "right."

The first is that the math is simple as poo poo. I have seen so, so many people struggle with math in other editions over the years. Whether it's the sometimes weirdly complex crit multipliers of 3rd to the endless modifiers to keep track of in 4th, or just the balking at the mere concept of thac0, people just never grocked it. 5th ed's math is simple enough that small children can handle it and this matters a lot for people trying to do family game nights.

The second is analysis paralysis is real. I personally hate the lack of options in 5th ed, but I had read multiple splat books for fun back in earlier editions. I had near encyclopedic knowledge of feats and spells and races and classes and I enjoyed using all this information to make busted poo poo. Most people don't do this. If you give a person a feat list longer than what's in the PHB, their eyes are going to glaze over. A not insignificant plurality of people do that even with just the PHB. This was made abundantly clear during my 4th edition days where I would constantly watch the less mechanically inclined players have an easy enough time picking out the powers they thought were cool and fun (because even at it's most bloated this was like, 12 choices at most) but needing me or someone else to pick their feats or magic items because there were literally thousands to choose from.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Terper posted:

For the love of God stop playing, you're not having fun!!

I've mostly done this! Moved on to board games since I was always way more of a systems guy. I am still in a 5th ed game I don't much care for for multiple reasons mostly just as a way to spend some time with my partners friend group so for external reasons I am trapped.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You must not look at many threads here lol. The ps5 thread, the switch thread, the xbox thread...The diablo thread, the destiny thread...the list goes on.

The diablo thread is so fuckin bad lol.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

really i think its just that "sex sells" is one of the oldest tricks in the book lol

Sex doesn't sell, this is long debunked. More likely it was people going oh this poo poo is finally about to be out of early access, time to buy.

On bugs, Gale is either bugged for me or is way pushier about the sex stuff than anyone else because I turned him down and he's still coming on to me. Halsin seem permanently locked into thinking he's at the party so I can't progress his poo poo at all.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I always wondered what possessed them to think a strict focus on very late game high number hard mode raids would work.

There's a certain strain of mmo player out there who thinks the world basically revolves around what the top 1% are doing. They are actively derisive towards anything and everything that isn't for the very tippy-top of players. To them, if raiders are happy then everyone else will just be dragged along in their wake. The great irony of this is that virtually none of these people are in that top 1%.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel like the Souls games sometimes have this reputation online (they're by and large pretty difficult because the designers aren't building the games around casual players, but the dedicated hardcore fans) but how true is that perception? I've never played any of the Dark Souls games, and only ever played a couple hours of Bloodborne but got stuck at a pretty tough boss and also had an obnoxious former friend who insisted on basically giving me a verbal walkthrough of the first area and all the secrets while I played, so my experience with it is probably not a good indicator, lol.

That said I've been thinking about trying Demons Souls since it's on PS+ Extra, and I'm thinking of largely going in blind, I'm mostly just curious how overhyped the "impossibly hard, only one real way to play" perception is.

It feels pretty true to me. I love souls games, been playing them since Demon's Souls. But they have definitely hit a point (sekiro and later games for me, beat all the games prior) where they get to be too hard/annoying in my opinion and I just stop playing. There's definitely a difficulty progression and the games just keep getting harder and harder and I can only assume that is trying to live up to the difficulty reputation it has online. For me, the breaking points were;

Sekiro: (late game boss spoiler) The Owl. Well it wasn't really The Owl himself but the 3 or 4 things I did before The Owl were all terrible slogs before I got through them. I gave The Owl maybe 5 tries and tapped out because I was exhausted.

Elden Ring: Snow field, specifically the section with the invisible giant dragon skeletons that teleport hunt you down while you are running around in blinding fog. Just the worst, and everything I'd read and seen indicated that it was only getting worse from there.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

they sell the horniest ones on the switch tbh

A couple years back I would have unironically called the switch storefront the horniest of the lot, but the new and trending list on steam has been max horny every time I check it lately so steam has retaken the crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's giving most of what's added on steam in that category too much credit to refer to it as games

The switch stuff isn't any better either, all just asset flips and low grade garbage.