Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

They fixed everything. Infinitely better loading times, crisper graphics, the leader limit is removed so you can just use all your named characters with no problems, save anywhere, mission DLCs all included, and they fixed the stat system so that you can't permanently gently caress yourself and can much easier just play through the game how you like. The two versions are night and day.

No kidding? I thought it was just a straight port, now I might have to look into it, despite having beat it on the 360.

Being able to have a team of all named characters is more than enough to make me replay. I don't have a PC controller, however, so I have to ask: Are the keyboard bindings good or will I have to get my hands on a controller?

Edit: Also, the save-anywhere thing isn't exclusive to the PC version. TLR is one of those rare games that does allow you to save anywhere, which is actually quite capable of loving you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

Yep, I played through entirely on keyboard and it was just fine.

My bad about the saving issue, I just remember being a lot more ready to quicksave on the PC if I thought I was going to be in trouble.

Well, cool. Guess I'll look into grabbing the PC version sometime soon. Maybe I'll try a magic-centric Rush this time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

the_steve posted:

Is Resonance of Fate any good?
It catches my eye every time I head to the game store, and, I wouldn't mind beefing up my PS3 game collection (frankly, I've been using the damned thing as a glorified dvd player after I gave up on FF13), but I don't want to spend the cash if it isn't worth keeping.

It's pretty decent. The amount you'll like it depends on how much you like the combat system, since it's basically the entire game. The plot is minimal (But surprisingly not bad, it's more of a slice-of-life JRPG than anything), and almost all the sidequests are more combat, though sometimes with twists.

I'd say get it, it's really fun, even though it gets a little repetitive near the tail-end of the game. Plus, you can add like 50 scopes to a gun and they all stack!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Vittles posted:

The PS2 game Metal Saga is spawned from this series. It's pretty fun, though kind of a niche game. There's a mix of character fighting and vehicle fighting, the usual vehicle customization stuff that comes from having tanks in a game, bounties, random grinding, fetch quests, dungeon crawling... it's a non-linear hodge-podge. That really appeals to me, though I'm a rare case when it comes to this stuff - I actually like SaGa games.

Someone else who has actually played Metal Saga? Awesome. That's a game I really wish someone would LP, because it has so much cool stuff that's marred by some rather poor decisions (Grind, general confusion, obscurity of some things). I just want the world as a whole to experience the awesomeness that is ARTILLERY DOGS.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blenheim posted:

What are the differences between the DS and PSP Knights in the Nightmare, and which would you recommend? I've heard it described as a strategy-shooter; do stylus controls work better for it?

Having played both versions, I can safely say it's a matter of personal preference. Having first played it on the DS, I had no idea how they'd make it work on the PSP, yet it still somehow does, and quite well at that. It's really your choice, though the PSP does have some slight system advantages (bonus character storyline, slightly better resolution).

However, the DS DOES have one fairly significant advantage over the PSP, at least to me. In the PSP version, the save screen is your typical PSP game save screen, while in the DS version you get the incredibly depressing graveyard in which the ghosts you fuse into other ghosts go forever. It's very depressing to see any graves on it, which makes one focus more on not doing any fusing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the bonus character storyline? I'm guessing you don't mean the difference between red and blue side right?

Losing the graveyard save screen would be a tragedy though.

I'm actually not sure if it's PSP-exclusive anymore, but the bonus storyline I'm talking about (which is really just a palette swap with some dialog alterations) is Yggdra route, which changes the main chick into Yggdra from Yggdra Union.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

Fairly short, actually. It's substantially smaller than the average Wild Arms game and tries to pull you through it at a more rapid pace than the others, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average player could toddle through it at 20 hours or so with some stuff missed.

I was actually rather shocked when the game just suddenly ended. I also think it's sort of impressive that the game has an item synthesis system... That doesn't exist until the last few hours of the game.

WA4 has some serious balancing issues, however. Notably the fact that 3/4ths of your party is entirely unnecessary due to how impossibly broken Raquel is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

nene. posted:

Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

Resonance of Fate takes place on a single tower-like building for the whole game. It's not really a traditionally styled tower, but it's close enough.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sakurazuka posted:

This thread just reminded me that I never got Knights in the Nightmare, which is the best version DS or PSP?

As ImpAtom said, PSP version has more content, and having played both version, I feel the differences in control style are negligible. My views may be skewed, however, since I've always hated using the stylus.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A British Nerd posted:

How's the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I haven't had a chance to try it yet and that game is looking good from what I've seen/heard so far.

It's been... Divisive. Only thing people on both sides seem to agree is that the camera is pretty bad, but literally everything else has both supporters and dissenters. This is a demo you'll really have to try for yourself to decided the worth of it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thundercracker posted:

I think people just don't realize that Disgaea 1 was the exception when it comes to NIS games. All of them have really bad writing, except Disgaea 1, which was everyone's first experience with the studio.

Seriously, I've played most of their SRPG games and the writing goes from genric-Anime-hokey to goddawful.

I dunno, I thought Zettai Hero Project was pretty good, but that might be biased to me, since I loved the idea in the first place.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gyoru posted:

There's a new patch out for Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions that removes the animation slowdown that plagued the PSP port. There's also an optional patch that fixes the aspect ratio.

You need a PSP with CFW. Grab the latest LivePatch (0.1.3 at the time of this post) and wotl-patches.zip. Follow the instructions in the readme.

Patch downloads: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.0
Patch info: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8449.0

Video Instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPM

Dear god YES. That animation slowdown was possibly the worst thing. Thanks for the information.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HondaCivet posted:

I just want the PS3 version of Vesperia because I don't have a 360 anymore. Are there any other options to play Vesperia in English besides having a 360? Subtitles would be acceptable.

Well, there is a mostly functional menu patch out. It has some minor bugs, and it only translates menus (no story or skit translations), but it seems to work alright. Plus, the Synopsis menu is still translated, so you at least get SOME plot, and won't get lost without knowing where to go.

I also no longer have a 360 and felt a burning desire to play Vesperia, so it's been a lifesaver to me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Darthemed posted:

I went on an Atlus game trawl recently, and ended up with some unfamiliar stuff.

Kartia: The Word of Fate is an SRPG with two inter-related storylines, but the combat seems to basically be Rock-Paper-Scissors, which I just can't put up with for the duration of a full storyline, let alone two. Bit of a shame, since there's nice spritework and (possibly) some good mechanics hidden in the RPS simplicity.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, on the other hand, seems like a smoother, less grind-intensive version of FFT, although the storyline seems like another 'kingdoms at war!' rehash, which I have a difficult time caring about unless there's some interesting characters to empathize with, and at about 4 hours into it, there aren't. Can anyone say whether this is worth pushing through an interminable amount of set-up levels for?

Third (and so far the most enjoyable) is Metal Saga, a game which I had heard absolutely nothing about before I went through Atlus' catalog. It's a shame, since it feels almost like a JRPG version of Fallout; you can find tanks, drive them around the world map (and customize them with different upgrades and paint jobs), play through only the quests that interest you, collect bounties for defeating big enemies, recruit dogs with guns to fight at your side by giving them dogfood, and on and on (and I've only uncovered about a quarter of the map so far).

And then there's Dual Hearts, which, from a couple screenshots on the back, looks like a PS2 update of Threads of Fate. Since I got about all the block-pushing in an RPG I could ever want from Threads of Fate, I haven't booted it up yet. Am I totally off in my assessment?

The best thing about Metal Saga is that it's potentially the shortest RPG ever, even shorter than Nintendo RPGs. If you haven't already, make sure to start a new game real quick and choose the obviously incorrect option right at the start. You won't be disappointed.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Every few months I'll try to play through Front Mission 5 again, but without fail I'll basically stop everything and just play the goddamn roguelike mode for a few days and then stop playing, entirely satisfied. That mode is so much goddamn fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

tenderjerk posted:

I've recently come into access of all the .hack games (both series). Are they worth playing at all? I don't really mind the episodic nature of it so long as the gameplay is alright and doesn't come across as too much of a slog.

I like both series a lot despite some dumb plot elements and the general grindiness of the first. The fake-internet and fake-forums are just cool, and I actually enjoyed the overarching plot of the first game and some parts of the second game. Honestly, just give the first game in each series a try. If you don't enjoy it by the first game, you probably won't enjoy the later ones, so you can easily judge from that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kild posted:

Has anyone played Conception 2? How is it?

Not even good as shock value. It's just a completely bland, uninteresting game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Heavy neutrino posted:

Another RPG that I enjoyed quite a lot is Mana-Khemia. It had a bit too much Japanese weirdness, and the pacing was atrocious -- it tried to gradually unlock its gameplay elements over the course of the game but did so too slowly, leaving you with a rather barebones RPG experience for half of the game -- but it was a ton of fun once it actually got going. It got a sequel which I never played; was it any good?

The sequel was quite good, in my personal opinion. Neither game had a particularly stellar plot, and 2 lacks Flay being in your party (though he's still around in some capacity), but in exchange you get a bunch of really odd and fun party members. The 2 routes thing means that the plot feels kind of incomplete unless you feel like playing a fairly long JRPG twice though. Admittedly both routes are very very different, unlike say, Tales of Xillia.

It further refined the combat system that started all the way back in Atelier Iris, and stands as the last and most improved version of it. It's very very good and fun to play. It does have some weaknesses, such as both main leads being kinda assholes in their own ways and the fact that the Grow Book is no longer a sphere-grid-esque system and now more of a list of things, and they still kind of give you new mechanics fairly slowly, though they definitely upped the pace from MK1 which had you learning your super moves at like the last fifth of the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Other new/changed stuff includes alchemists are getting super moves along with the rest of the cast, combining Meruru's kingdom building simulator and Ayesha's dream journal as your main character growth mechanic, and changing up the alchemy system to have some chain system. But most importantly, Ayesha's Wilbell and Keith are coming back as playable characters and it will be glorious along-side playable homunculus Homura. :colbert:

Hopefully this time we get Keith in our party before the rear end-end of the game. He's the best part about Atelier Ayesha, to me, and I'm disgusted he wasn't even DLC in E&L.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Got my hands on Atelier E&L, after finally ending my period of annoyance at Atelier Ayesha (I was annoyed at it because I did basically everything right to get the true ending, but since I went in blind and faffed about too much in the early game, I missed the very first Treasure Contest, which is really lovely.).

Is it just me or is the crafting system WAY easier to break over your knee than usual? I'm only up to the third period, but I already just one-shot nearly every encounter with a carefully crafted Guryun Blitz, and even in the occasion that something survives, everyone in my party is ridiculously strong. The fact that you have tons of free time at the end of each period really gives you a chance to make powerful equipment at all times, unlike previous Atelier games where you basically needed to constantly rush towards stuff.

It's way more chill about the time limits than usual, but it's also kinda really easy? Seems to be less random character building events, too. Also I was really confused for a while when the best effect on an item would go from L to M (say, DEF DOWN L to M), because I'm used to L meaning Large. It either means Low in this game, or they hosed up and inverted the order, not sure because I've not gotten a third-tier effect yet.

Edit: Also the voice actors for the returning characters being pretty much all different is kinda super off-putting. I can't get used to Harry's or Linca's new voices...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 29, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dragonatrix posted:

It has some awesome new music, made all party member fusions weaker by reducing their stats, made Neku even more powerful at base because no more light puck. More importantly, it removed the ability to get Mingle PP easily (no more aliens, and you can't mingle with the DS version or a Wii at all) and stuffed in an IAP store, of course, staffed by if I remember right this new reaper:

also the IAP store has some new pins and stuff that counts towards your collection stats and the like because of course it does.

Dammit, I was actually kinda interested in that port, but it seems like all the changes they made that aren't directly to the combat system are terrible. Mingle PP was ALREADY a pain in the rear end to get even with aliens, for fucks sake.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Roobanguy posted:

So the new Risen game came out and I have heard literally nothing about it. Anyone try it yet?

The "discussion" thread for it is in Imp Zone because I was too lazy to make an actual OP. Overall my opinion is that, at the very least, it's obviously better than Risen 2. Jury still out regarding Risen 1, but I have a feeling this might surpass it, even if I enjoyed the combat in Risen 1 a slight bit more.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Robo Reagan posted:

Apparently there's a new Risen game out of loving nowhere? Is it any good?

e: Eh, reviews seem pretty middling. Oh well, time to go back to pretending Risen doesn't exist!

Trusting reviews on a series such as Risen is incredibly foolish. It's better than Risen 2 and PROBABLY better than Risen 1, depending on taste. I'd rank it together with Gothic 2 as the apex of the series. However, if you didn't like any of PB's games, this one won't change your mind about it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NikkolasKing posted:

Violence is okay but sexuality isn't. Children being horrifically murdered? A-okay! People want more of that in video games. But have one girl who looks a little young peck a character on the lips accidentally and suddenly it's "creepy."

Personally, I don't get fussed over either since it's fiction. But a lot of people hold this bizarre double-standard.

Oh here we loving go again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I have really low standards because I enjoyed all .hack games (though I played the original quadrilogy years ago when I still didn't have much to compare it to...) AND Rogue Galaxy. Though I think what I actually liked about Rogue Galaxy was the minigames (gently caress yes Insectron).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I am the person with the worst taste, as I actually nearly 100%'d Rogue Galaxy, now that I think about it. Pretty much the only thing I didn't do was fill up the Frog Log because holy poo poo gently caress that. I did however do the postgame dungeon (multiple times!) and did all of MIO's request dealies. I think I just have a weakness for really in-depth minigames because I remember also spending hours doing the ones in Dark Cloud 2. Spheda, man...

My biggest disappointment with Rogue Galaxy is that only Jaster gets cool unique weapons (and he gets loving eight of them, that's just unfair), and that so many of the ultimate weapons for the other characters look like loving poo poo (Zevran's best weapon is one of those really lame looking swords with a face on them, in a really gaudy color scheme too.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best (only good) thing about Ar Tonelico 3 was the equal opportunity fanservice finishing moves. Sure, all the chicks had creepy stripping transformations to get stronger, but then you got the finishing moves for the male characters and it turns out that being naked just makes you super powerful in this universe for some reason.

I actually enjoyed AT1 and AT2 despite the creepiness and Luca, so I might actually get Ar Nosurge... Eventually. Probably not soon, they don't deserve that after Qoga.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm weak. I caved and bought Ar Nosurge since I happened to see it.

So far, barring two EXTREMELY creepy CGs near the start of the game, this seems lower on the creep-o-meter than Qoga. But these games have a tendency of ramping up their creep factor, so it remains to be seen if things will change. Also, every pre-release talk about it lied, you really really need to know about Ciel Nosurge to be able to understand anything in the story. Thankfully, JRPG fans are massive spergs, and thus there are two different summaries of different levels of depth and length for it, so I was fine reading the shorter one.

Gameplay and such seems fine and all, some odd decisions here and there but definitely more fun than Qoga was. QA is hilariously bad though, all NPC dialog is garbled in a very very noticeable way (basically, most NPCs have two windows of dialog, but someone hosed up and so every NPC in the area says the second line of their dialog and the first line of a different NPC after that.), and sometimes dialog in the not-Cosmospheres gets kinda confusing. They really needed an extra editing pass.

It seems fine FOR NOW barring those two CGs, but as I said, this poo poo tends to ramp up hard. I'll keep you guys informed of its level on the scale after I'm a bit further into it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, seriously? How the gently caress do you make a mistake that bad? :psyduck:

This is the same series that had a gamebreaking bug that crashed the game if you didn't beat a boss by the third turn. It's kind of to be expected. At least it's just random NPC's so far.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Icedude posted:

I've been enjoying it pretty well so far (apart from said Minor NPC dialogue bug, hope that gets patched soon), but I'm kind of confused about ranking for combat. I'm getting nothing but B's no matter how well I do or how bad I screw up, with the exception of one A and I don't know what I did differently for that.

Am I not supposed to be holding off on the song magic to wipe out the entire area's waves in one shot?

I have no idea how it works, either. I'm far enough that I mostly get A's now, playing on Veteran (even Hard was a bit too easy for everything but the rare boss encounter). I think you just need to have better stats to be able to get better ranks or something. No real clue.

I don't know if its the fairly shoddy translation, the lack of having played the previous game, or just me being dumb, but most not-Cosmospheres are kind of incomprehensible as to what I'm actually doing so far as the girls personalities. The decision to shift focus from two-three characters to making basically every girl have at least one level of not-Cosmosphere is kinda odd as well.

I do like that BOTH protagonists are completely lost in the plot, tho. Makes me feel better when one of my dialog options is the equivalent of "What even the gently caress is going on?"

E: ^^^^ Yeah, Normal is just totally braindead. Switch it up to AT LEAST Hard if you want to have to use any strategy at all.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Black Stones posted:

From what I've read of Ar NoSurge you pretty much get solid B's until later in the game when you do stronger magic, or on higher difficulties.

As far as creep factor, it's no Ar Tornelico Qoga, but it's still up there. In order to install bonus star crystals you have to get into a "purification" site where the girl has to strip down to her underwear and the guy can just sit there in shorts and a t-shirt. Nay, Prim and some other NPC's have very questionable outfits as well. If you could handle Qoga this game isn't on that level, but this is still not a game anyone should pick up if you don't want dumb fanservice anime.

Also the localization is poo poo, and I wish NISA still had GUST games because while they hosed up in the past they got better and actually seemed to care. Danganronpa is amazing and shows how much NISA has improved. KT put in a garbage effort here.

Oh I dunno. I still wouldn't exactly play this in public, but I also wouldn't want to play Bayonetta in public. Besides those two CGs and Nay's ridiculous outfit, I think this game is pretty low on the fanservice. Even the purification scenes are supposed to be swimsuits and not underwear, though the difference is mostly academic. I just hope I can figure out how to finish Ion's first Genometrics soon, not because of Ion herself, but because I want to see if Earthes puts on a swimsuit for Purification. I hope he does, but I expect he doesn't.

Seriously though what is the deal with Ion's Genometrics? It seems completely impossible.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Widestancer posted:

"Man I think this game will be really creepy and it already really is and games like this have a history of it but

Uh

I'd better keep playing it you know just in case it might not be creepy you know?"

I enjoy the games despite the creepiness. Doesn't mean I can't complain about it. I have no problems saying I enjoyed AT1 and AT2, and those had some creepy poo poo in them too. I just couldn't handle Qoga, which was not only a lovely game, but also put the creepiness into overdrive. That's the reason I'm wary of Ar Nosurge, because I want to see if they learned their lesson about going too far in Qoga, and, so far, it seems to be the case. I'm hopeful, dammit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OddObserver posted:

It's literally impossible until you can do the genometrics of a couple of other characters --- the ones that one of the test stations asks about --- within her story.

Ah, I see. That's kind of annoying, considering it means you can't power up Earthes and Ion with crystals until later, and you're stuck with just one song magic. I guess there's no real downside to tossing my DPs into the vending machine in Nelico's Genometrics, then.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

oblomov posted:

There is a pretty good Lets Play thread though right here in SA, youtube videos and most of the US faqs/storyline still applies. There are also some translations around for menus and such.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417981

I got rid of my Xbox and played through some of the PS3 version and it hasn't been too bad.

Edit: if someone wants to have a really long read to get some background on Ar Nosurge, here is a fully translated summary (with video/pics) of the Ciel Nosurge prequel. The guy translating this put a huge amount of effort. If I was KT/NISA I'd hire him on the spot. I haven't gotten Nosurge yet though (and haven't read through Ciel info) since I have a stack of PS2 RPGs 10-deep, but figure some people may enjoy it.

http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary

I just read the abbreviated version that's linked in the introduction, and it seems sufficient for understanding Ar Nosurge. I'm probably missing minor details, but so far I don't feel as if I've needed anything but that overview to comprehend the story.

Speaking of, wow, they start just THROWING DP at you in Phase 2, huh? I managed to completely run out of my reserve DP for Ion after doing the Genometrics that unlocked at the start of it, went out, did like 3-4 fights while looking for talk topics, and now I'm back up to 25k DP. Plus, I've started getting S Ranks even in Veteran. Gameplay has gotten pretty fun now, though bosses remain entirely impossible to do in Veteran.

Also it's kinda shocking how quickly the girl's inclination changes through using songs. Within these 4 battles in which I tested the three new song magics I had obtained, Ion went all the way from the bottom left of the chart to the top left. It seems kind of impossible to keep them in the correct inclination for maximum efficiency.

E: Wow I just got further into Ion's Genometrics and this poo poo is just depressing, man. I forgot that beneath the veneer of creepy bullshit and super anime these games are actually pretty loving dark. No wonder Japanese hikki's got obsessed with Ion, considering the whole nature of Ciel Nosurge and subsequently Ar Nosurge.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nathilus posted:

In nosurge, I don't mind that during """purification""" the girls have to strip down to undies/skimpy bikini mode but it enrages me that meanwhile the dude just chills out in a tanktop and cargo shorts. What the gently caress! Thats some apartheid level inequality. I DEMAND A patch with banana hammocks or at the very least speedos. Besides the meat lovers among us need to get hard every once in a while while playing naughty JRPGs too, right?!?

Just wait until the second pair of characters, it's even MORE terrible! But yeah, such a shame they didn't back the one good thing about Qoga, the equal opportunity fanservice. Then again Delta is kind of an annoying character and Earthes is... Complicated. So it would probably not work out very well anyways.

Edit: On second thought, I'd kind of want an Earthes daikimura or something. Or would that be narcissistic?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And Ar Tonelico 2 is basically over once you get Replakia. But yeah, I'm getting a bit further into Ar Nosurge and it definitely seems like they learned their lesson after Qoga. Ever since those two CGs near the start, all this game has had is actually fairly light innuendo, possibly even lighter than AT1. Some character designs are still creepy and some other stuff is also kind of disturbing (Ion and Earthes relationship feels REALLY WEIRD for a lot of reasons), but this is probably the absolute low end of creepy bullshit in the series. Even AT2 had everything involving Luca's cosmosphere.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man the late-game Ar Nosurge plot gets... Really meta. Like, REALLY meta. I know this probably makes me dumb, but I always have a soft spot for when games go really meta, so I'm really enjoying this stuff. And yeah I'm now in Phase 3 and unless it pulls out all the stops, its rank in the creepometer is really quite low. Pretty enjoyable despite the QA issues and the need to read a summary of the prior game. Recommended if you have a reasonable anime resistance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I also picked up Natural Doctrine but I think that might have been a mistake on my part, as I'm nowhere near tactical minded enough to actually DO anything in this game. I barely scraped by the first real map and the second real map has hosed me over multiple times. I think I suck too much for this poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My two cents on Rogue Galaxy is that every single thing about it is stellar besides, unfortunately, the aggressively cliche plot and the incredibly unbalanced core combat system. Everything surrounding those things is great. I like the music, it looks pretty as hell, the side content is fantastic, I even actually like the characters, giant cliches that they are. But your enjoyment of the game depends entirely on how much you can stand the kinda lovely combat system. If it was actually BALANCED it would probably be really fun. The first two planets are actually very entertaining because you still don't have your AoE skills and thus have to fight manually, and enemy power is pretty much adjusted to that fact. Things go severely downhill once you reach the prison chapter and enemies start having obnoxious amounts of HP and deal extreme amounts of damage, and the only way to counter that is to use your extremely overpowered AoE attacks on everything.

Rogue Galaxy Final Mix/International/Whatever with a rebalanced core combat system is pretty much my dream game. They wouldn't even need to do anything else, everything else is either good or at least acceptable, in the case of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wateyad posted:

Unless you were playing the original 2005 Japanese release, this is what you played.

They could always do it again. Kingdom Hearts 1 technically did. There was the original Japanese version, then the western version had some improvements, then they got Final Mix with the western improvements and some extra content.

I'd even play it in Japanese if they just balanced the goddamn combat system.