Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quoting this from the Steam thread:

What's the opinion here on Mars: War Logs? (Apologies if discussed before) I got it cheap, and, having played played for an hour, it looks good for a budget title and very well optimized. The only cramp is the sluggish camera. It got middling reviews from the press but I'm more inclined to follow seasoned goons. I probably wouldn't have bothered with Alpha Protocol were it not for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One aspect that made Chrono Trigger work was that all the sidequests tied into the main story, usually by resolving a dangling sub-plot or bringing a positive change in the world. In a lot of JRPG's there isn't much regard for continuity or consistency; FFIV starts with a knight feeling bad for destroying a village and it ends with the same knight going on a spaceship to the moon to fight an evil dead guy. The plot is pretty much made up as they go along. Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, remembers to tie up loose ends and keep track of its characters:

The Sunken Desert quest gives Lucca a chance to change a traumatic moment in her past.

The Rainbow Shell quest has Marle reconcile with her father.

The Geno Dome offers Robo a day in the limelight.

Ozzie's Fort gives you a rematch against the Trio as well bringing peace between humans and monsters.

The Northern Ruins has Frog strengthen his resolve or something.

In the otherwise excellent DS port of Chrono Trigger two extra dungeon sidequests are added that diminish the overall quality. These dungeons show a great dissonance in game design compared to the vanilla content, with a whole load of bullshit fetch quests and backtracking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What JRPGs are grounded in reality, in that the characters wear clothes that'd only take a minute to get on and aren't overly immaculate for their status? If I remember, nobody looked too out of place in Chrono Trigger.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The DS port of Chrono Trigger is perfectly fine if you ignore the two bonus dungeons. They're godawful grinds made by people who sure as hell didn't work on the original.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Will the PC crowd ever see Ys IV and SEVEN?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know why, but I always hated the Caveman age in CT. The game is a masterpiece but it still has its niggles, like how you cant avoid half the enemies on the field.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've already bought Undertale and I've played half an hour, but I'd like to know what it is about the game that appeals to people. I've wasted time with artsy meta-game poo poo like DLC Quest, but if someone could pitch the game to me, or people in general, I'll finish it next in my Steam backlog.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (The only FE game I finished because I'm a pussy) gives the option to skip all the combat animations, cutting the length of battle in half. For a TB-RPG game not to slog there needs to be lower limit on participants (compared to real-time)s in encounters as well as a smaller number of encounters total. A Shadowrun game puts you into 20-30 hand-crafted combat encounters using 4 controllable characters. The real-time Pillars of Eternity has 200 encounters using 6 playable characters. If Pillars was turn-based the pacing would be hosed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd find it difficult to back to FFVI today as games today are so much better when enemies fight you on the same field you encounter them on. Also the whole equip-an-esper-on-level-up adds an element of min-maxing that the game doesn't need since it's easy, but by not doing it you feel like your losing out. A better compromise would be getting a static bonus for every couple of spells you master, giving you more reason to learn magic. Eh, hindsight.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 1, 2015

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mill Village posted:

Its a terrible game "inspired" by Earthbound.

I don't feel compelled to buy Citizens of Earth because the main character on the cover is too off-putting. When I hear the names Earthbound/Mother 3 I picture a normal kid who goes on a strange, funny, and often heart-rending journey; what I don't picture is a smiling middle-aged politician who's on a campaign. There's too great a distance and too little that resonates. Also, a game needs to have more its premise beyond gobbing off Earthbound.

EDIT: Dropsy the clown is more appealing than this guy.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 4, 2015

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SelenicMartian posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Gothic 2 takes away all of your stuff and skills after 1. I had magic armour! I had enough beer, meat and weed for a year! No, a tiny cave in made the hero weak as a baby.

In the no-longer-canon Gothic 3 the Hero gets his poo poo stolen again. In the completely-disregarded Gothic 4 the Hero becomes a bad guy after losing everything so many times and no one cuts him slack. Samus-Aran syndrome is the reason most RPG series have a new hero in every installment.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm really liking Ys Origin in spite of the fact the whole game takes in the one dungeon that was featured in a previous game. I wish the series could have more adventures with voiced protagonists. Hugo Fact is enjoyable because he rightly argues with the other heroes about their goal and he gets a flirty rapport with one if the villains, something that never happens with Adol the Mute. I'm perfectly sure that, though this is a prequel and that "Fact" is the surname of a later villain, Hugo will be OK by the end of this story.

I find myself really enjoying Falcom games because they have yet to descend into navel-gazing wank like Square-Enix, or pandering-loli-paedo-anime bullshit like every JRPG company that isn't From Software. The main characters are refreshingly straight-forward in their heroism, and while the plots are often cliche, I can't fault their earnest good-heartedness, their localizations and PC-friendliness.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Late for this, but if you actually want to finish Ys I you're best off playing easy mode if you're a Normal Mode Player, unlike the rest of the series. The Bat Guy and the Final Boss are total bullshit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always felt bothered that they never directly explain how six kids died. And the whole deal with Chara being evil just opens a can of worms.

I guess the moral of the game is you should be the nicest person possible if you the magical power to reload an earlier save.

Great music though. The best scene in the game is when the title track plays.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Witcher 2 suffers from a whole load of pointless RPG system in a shallow attempt to appear hardcore. You have sidequests that barely reward you, a crafting system too expensive to use, a pointlessly cumbersome inventory, useless alchemy, and a fractured story that doesn't go anywhere. It's a simple game if you use a guide and bee-line past the bullshit. I do respect the company behind it and it was intriguing enough to try both story-paths, but it's not a game I can recommend.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Dawn:

You spend 90 percent of your quest looking for a Roc Feather, you get the Roc Feather and there's no payoff. Some loathsome oval office causes the apocalypse and you don't even get to kill him, because he feels bad about it. You stop the apocalypse and go home and find it under threat by the BIg Bad Thing that was mentioned in the first 10 minutes and promptly forgotten about. Roll credits.

There are 8 playable characters even though you never need more than 4. The last one shows up in the final hour of gameplay.

This game should be studied in courses, where the lesson is "Don't do this".

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 21, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What RPG has the worst Necron factor? As in they pull out some Final Boss out of nowhere, who's apparently worse than the guys fought up until now, and he's a god or the embodiment of hate or some other bullshit. There was that Zemus guy you barely know in FF4 who becomes Zeromus, there's the stupid Catalyst from the end of Mass Effect, there's the utterly atrocious Rogue Galaxy which I don't want to remember, and there's the end of Golden Sun: TLA where you don't face off any villain and instead fight some random dragon for no apparent reason.

It really undermines a good story when the writers try to make the antagonist sympathetic by saying" Demons made him do it" without laying the groundwork. The Emperor in Star Wars exists to show that Vader answers to someone even worse, and to give Vader the possibility of redemption. There was no point for Necron to be in FF9. He appears in the last 20 minutes, has no ties to any of the cast, isn't mentioned again after his defeat, and only seems to exist to make to your evil cross-dressing brother look less bad.

As mediocre as the Witcher 2 was, I appreciate that the ultimate-final-boss-guy was just dude with the same skills as me, and he wasn't terribly interested in fighting, so I had the option to tell him to piss off.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh hell, they have a subtitle in the name. Banking on a sequel, maybe.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Illusion of Gaia had many problems: the story was mind-boggling and lost-in-translation, the strict linearity makes it easy to miss collectibles so a guide is mandatory, healing-items are limited and irreplacable so you'd never use them, the levels can be huge, and half the bosses are a pain the arse. But the game is really appealing as an Action-RPG. Combat is simple, there's no fiddling with equipment, and the level-up system is clever: killing all the enemies in an area gives you a one-off upgrade, bee-lining to the boss gives all the upgrades anyway so the boss isn't unwinnable. What other ARPGs are there, outside of YS, are refreshingly straight-forward?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna assume you've played the other Quintet trilogy games but if not Soul Blazer and Terranigma

Terranigma, yes. Soul Blazer, 5 minutes in until the sword sound-effect made me want to cut myself.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've been meaning to play Arc the Lad I+II, which is really just one long game. How grindy is it? Is it really easy to miss stuff? Why is the rest of the series not so regarded?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Courier, like the Bhaalspawn and the Watcher, has to be the centre of the universe because in a number of WRPGs your allies are completely optional and you can complete the game solo. Though that gives me the idea for a story-driven RPG where you can go out of your way to avoid people and still finish the game. You could finish Alpha Protocol without once ever meeting SIE and the plot still made sense. Maybe a game could give you the option to achieve your goals while leaving the cast in the dark to your existence.

What Japanese developer out there makes RPGs that aren't cringe-inducing spank fodder starring under-dressed teenagers, but do spend a buck on localization? Falcom is one and From Software is another.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seriously, what is with the Lum avatars?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arc 1 is kind of... generic, like Baldur's Gate 1. If I skip ahead without importing, what will I miss outside of some unique accessories and half a side-quest?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 3, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The ideal system of save data transfer between games would be the option to simulate every little choice you made in a pre-game quiz if you don't import. And any items or levels you missed could simply be found in the game elsewhere. Dragon Age: Inquisition did this for practical reasons due to being on a new console generation.

Mass Effect 2 was poo poo at this. The option to start as anything other than a Renegade meant buying the DLC.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've the same gripe with Arc the Lad 2 that I had with TitS in that the game offers you side-quests to do every so often, except they're not really side-quests because if you finish the next plot-critical dungeon some of those unfinished sidequests will disappear. Also you have to remember to steal from boss monsters because sometimes you can pilfer unique items off them, though they never explain why you can't fetch these items off their corpses after you kill them.

I'm so glad I skipped the first game, it was so bare-bones. There was nothing to do between fights, no towns, no shops, no item management, and the title character was pretty dull. The biggest improvement is that when you kill all the monsters in a room, the battle ends and you can explore the place with the one character instead of having to agonisingly move every party member around like in Fire Emblem. Really, a lot of Strategy-RPGs could be improved by letting us walk around and interact with the environment. It helps that the game has real sidequests like Baldurs Gate 2, instead of fobbing us off with a 1000 identical fights to pad out the running-time like Arc 1.

Only in a 1996 video game could an Osama Bin-Laden lookalike bomb the Statue of Liberty from his airship and still be one of the good guys.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After many years I found my FFIII DS cartridge. Now I need to lose it again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Enjoy missing out on 100 percent completion because you neglected to talk that crouching person in a Moogle suit in the first five minutes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never wanted Tidus back, I just wanted to get the Mascot dress-sphere.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Unlimited Saga the Game will give you an aneurysm. Unlimited Saga the Soundtrack will give you an orgasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2WHAbTlPrY

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pity the amount of recycled assets and unchanged character models.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I tried playing Soul Reaver off Gog and I couldn't get the controls to not play like wank. What's the verdict on the series (SR1,SR2, BO2, LoK:D )? I know Blood Omen 1 will never, ever be re-released and that Nosgoth has nothing to do with the series outside of the shared setting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never wanted to eat that guy's lunch, I meant to bring it to him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It took the part where they began going "WHY WOULD YOU CHEAT AT GAMES" to make me realize this because this plot has thus far been a preroll "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" morality ad with jiggle physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Funny thing is, the "You wouldn't steal..." crowd stole the music they used.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How hard would it be for a eurotrash company to make an RPG that confines itself to its budget, doesn't shoehorn in crap like crafting and romances, and maybe gives us a female PC option?

CDPR won everyone over with their third game, even people who hated their early work, while Piranha Bytes comedy routine grew stale and Spiders is still a two-bit thug, lacking in finesse or business acumen to bother selling high-quality meth.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Divinity: Original Sin? I mean, there's crafting that you can basically completely ignore. And it's not perfect or anything. But it literally has a male and a female PC and they don't have fixed personalities or anything!

It may be a good game, but it's so turn-based heavy for me it hurts, so it's at the bottom of my backlog

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm saying they're an exception in that they improved with every game. It's the other two that feel complacent.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I first got a 360 controller for PC gaming because those mini-games in Alpha Protocol were beyond torture. Pity the dyslexic player who couldn't do the timed word-search, or the big-handed player can't move a thumbstick a fraction of an inch.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just bought Hyper Light Drifter for later. Is the difficulty "Good-Hard" or "Bullshit-Hard"? Can I just play it like do every game and do all the side-content first and then steamroll the bosses? I heard the game has a 30FPS cap which is a bummer for an ARPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Monica really got the short straw in that game. She couldn't fish, take pictures or play golf. Max got to ride a cool robot while she had the completely useless ability to transform into a monster identical to the ones you cut down by the hundreds. Also her weapon upgrade tree is a goddamn nightmare.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 24, 2016