Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

iastudent posted:

But does it include MWC sound bites? :colbert:

Actually yes, and they're the only battle sound bites that are in English, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

HGH posted:

This is a bit of an odd question but are there any games out there that let you freely manipulate your levels?

It's not quuiite the same thing, but Wild Arms 5 let you allocate points to get skills early, at the expense of drastically reducing your max HP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Then again, maybe you have a third option for best SNES JRPG?

Doesn't matter, Phantasy Star IV is better than all of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(I liked that AI party members poll you with a quick two-button command list that can be a mix of heal items/spells or buff skills and wish more games had this)

JASTER :byodood:
JASTER :byodame:

I love that the spaceships are just loving ships in space. That poo poo rules.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True on both counts, but almost all the prompts were actually useful and saved a lot of menu searching to re-apply buffs or toss out heal/revive items. It really helped combat stay at a nice fast pace rather than short bouts of combat interspersed with constant menu pausing the way Tales games can sometimes get.

Oh I agree completely, it's just that a lot of my memories of the game are people screaming JASTER!!

Also the music in the ship and planet Zerard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Thousand Arms seemed pretty fun, but the camera's tendency to swing around violently in cutscenes made me want to puke a bit.

hubris.height posted:

also, whats the verdict on fairy fencer and tears to tiara?

Dunno about TTT, but Fairy Fencer is a totally average JRPG with little to no redeeming features apart from the pedigree of a couple people working on it. Considering it's Compile Heart though that's actually pretty high praise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Levantine posted:

What's wrong with it? I can't really find anything on it either way.

In the original game, you took a loving eon to level up and enemies would pound you into the ground if you didn't spend forever grinding. The difficulty is ridiculous and the new version does away with save anywhere and apparently fixes none of the difficulty issues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like how you can switch the character portraits in Natural Doctrine from "anime" to "realistic" and how loving horrifying the realistic setting looks.

I kinda want to see both, because I'm pretty much thinking of the same thing in Metal Head for the 32X..or Star Ocean 4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh for gently caress's sake.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Himuro posted:

So I've never played Lunar Silver Star Story. I have it on ios. What should I be expecting?

"Check this out." :smuggo:

Anyway, expect an easy and simple yet charming game. A bit slow too, if it's based on the PSP version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oblomov posted:

I just realized that PS3 for me was the only platform where I outright dropped several major RPGs after just a few hours of play. FFXIII, Ar Tonelico 3, Neptunia 2, Agharest 2, and SO4... All were bought with "how bad could it be mindset". I haven't played first Neptunia or Agharest but heard that sequels were better and like the games in the other 3 series.

I wouldn't really call any of those except FF13 "major" RPGs. Especially AT3 and Agarest.

I guess they're major in the sense that console JRPGs this gen have been pretty sparse, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His real name is Ben Kuchera, hope this helps, OP.

Nnnnoooooooo..!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oblomov posted:

PSA: Valkyria Chronicles is ready for preload on steam. I think GMG released the keys as well. Get ready for some Scouting.

How big is the download for Jagged Alliance 2 Anime Edition?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

My pre-load is finished and it won't tell me again how much it downloaded, but I think it was a bit over 16 GB.

Phwoah. Guess I'll wait till near the end of the month to consider that. Cheers!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

To be fair the store page does say it needs 25GB.

Reading is hard :saddowns:

Also download size is generally different from space required. I get what you mean, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oblomov posted:

Download caps? I am guessing most of the space is upscaled cutscenes and dual audio.

200GB a month with uploads counting towards that, a torrent happy family and we just moved to a new house where we get a third of our previous downstream speed (a blistering 6mbps!). Australia is a loving awful place.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

goldjas posted:

VC was a terrible game

Leave

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

alcharagia posted:

play Eternal Sonata instead

Between ES and Broken Sword 1, if I ever see a goat I go into a blind rage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I like that while he's whining he doesn't even bother to do a battle victory thing and just stands there looking at the camera in his idle animation.

Also SO4's Welch was the worst goddamned thing this side of Lymle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

I thought what's-her-face the angel girl was the most annoying. She talks like she's in a loving coma. Not as creepy as those 2 but her own brand of awful.

Oh yeah she was bad. Really just Myruia and Bacchus were okay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I like the part of Sword of Mana where they discuss the idea that someone called "DARK LORD" might be good or just misunderstood.

Million Ghosts posted:

We did it we found the one person who played Enchanted Arms.

Don't you say poo poo about my pizza golem and the President of the USA's battlemech.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

We're getting Soul Nomad Vita right after Makai Kingdom Vita. Mark my words.

Don't hurt me like this Ibram Gaunt. I can't take it.

Play Soul Nomad though.

As a total aside I somehow wound up with THQ Pacific's archive copy of Soul Nomad from when they distributed it for AU/NZ. It's just a sticker on the back of the box, but..kinda neat. Ish.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Echo Night is better.

Echo Night Beyond was better.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I think one of the Armored Core games lets you willingly commit mass murder and/or genocide by consciously blowing up a ship of your own people.

What a weird company.

Yeah, that was..either AC4 or For Answer. You can kill a shitload of innocents -100 million I think, and basically everyone else in the game aside from Old King drops any fighting to come after you for being a total monster.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wasn't it a re-release in the literal sense of just being the PS2 game on PSN?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Don't buy/play Neptunia games you loving goons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do not listen to this troll.

Perhaps it is you that is the troll.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

british accents are one of the few things in the world more grating and insufferable than high pitched anime voices

Go gently caress yourself, mate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Forest Thief Pud posted:

To be fair, the PS2 version of Grandia 2 isn't a terrible and unplayable port(unlike the PC one),

Ah yes. Spell AVIs with junk data at the end of them so Millenia's attacks in particular would just..sit there for a good minute before finishing, missing animation files so you'd get errors in cutscenes and then suddenly Roan would be on the other side of a bridge. Good times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Machine posted:

Now the browser game they announced... ugh.

It's okay! Breath of Fire and Sakura Wars browser games were just the sort of booster shot those IPs needed and uh...yeah nevermind, SaGa is hosed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hell you could even load BSPs on the Xbox version so long as you had it installed on the HDD and could fit them into whatever was left of the 64MB RAM.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pier Solar would have been better with 50% more Clinton jokes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Were there ever any good RPGs on the Genesis? I never owned one and everyone always talks about SNES games when they talk about 16-bit RPGs.

Shining Force 1/2, Shining in the Darkness, Phantasy Star II (if you can stomach the age-dness), Phantasy Star IV is the best 16-bit RPG bar none, Warsong, Shadowrun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Byde posted:

I'd say working designs dialogue is the loathsome combination of a 4Kids cartoon and a bad Adult Swim cartoon filled with lines that Seth Macfarlane would call too hackish.

They aren't even remotely that bad you dumb goon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Not on mine, I got it too late into production. Unless there's some after market method of doing it that I'm not aware of.

Every PS3 can play PS1 discs without any sort of tinkering. Region matters but otherwise they all work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

they could literally just put it in an emulator like they did all those genesis games

All of like five people want to have anything to do with Saturn code/architecture.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Is there another emulator to use for psx games then? ePsxe has been the go to for so long I never really considered using another.

PCSX-R is probably the better one at the moment. Mednafen (on its own or Retroarch) and Xebra are alright, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Do yourself a favor and suffer through Koudelka first, so you have the entire SH experience.

Koudelka is really not worth playing. Just..listen to the music and read the Wikipedia article or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSu7jxwctA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzADga6rUeI

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's also the only way to play it in Europe! Shame everything looks like somebody badly removed the backgrounds in a GIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

SO3's endboss was FF13-style bullshit because he actually has a TPK attack that does >20k damage per hit and is unavoidable if he chooses to cast it.

I think you can pro-avoid it with Fayt if you time Dimension Door juuust right or something but yeah Luther was rear end. At least Sataniel in SO4 was piss easy.