Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

That Breath of Fire game looks so loving bad, why even call it Breath of Fire? I'd rather the series be dead than transformed into some generic online social rpg which will likely have billions of microtransactions.

Like, it wouldn't even bother me if it didn't have that number on the end of it, mocking me with how much it pales in comparison to even the first game, which was so by-the-numbers that you could see Kemco publishing it on iOS/Android these days. People publish crap phone games with good IP attached to it all the time.

Because you know that it has effectively killed any potential going forward. What, are they going to put a new game on the 3DS (or whatever) in the future as Breath of Fire 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People make repro carts all the time. This would only be important if Nintendo actually had some plans to release the game in the West at all.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yes, they're going to come down hard on a hobbyist that made maybe 300 carts and charged about what it cost him to make.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Poe posted:

Dude's asking $55 a pop. This isn't charity or for the sake of gamers worldwide. This is gussied up bootlegging. If you want the same legitimacy, just buy a flash cart for less. Bonus is that at least the flash cart can potentially be used legally.

How in the hell is a flash cart less expensive?

Look, this is no different than any other repro cart. The GBA has been dead for what? 7 years? Nintendo is not making nor losing profits on GBA games (they could if they started adding this poo poo to the eShop, but that's a separate discussion). Much like all the repros that exist for SNES and NES games that Nintendo made that are no longer in production. Most are only for games that never came out in the US with translations or for difficulty hacks or whatever. You find me a guy that's selling repro cartridges of a game on eShop or a game that already was released in the US for ridiculous prices, and I'll call him an rear end in a top hat right along with you. My only point is that Nintendo isn't going to hammer down on this any more than they did for any other repro or even the actual fan-translation, and if they did this would be a first.

I could maybe see it if the guy was charging $200 or something, but this isn't any pricier than any other repro cart, so either there is a specific underground mafia ensuring that repros of all kinds have $60 price points, or that's probably what it costs a person to make.

Regardless, this has gently caress all to do with RPGs, so maybe this discussion should be dropped.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I see. You equate chinese bootlegged pirate carts with hobbyist repros.

Nevermind.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wendell posted:

You are one cranky dude, Phantasium.

Because I stop an argument at a difference of opinion instead of trying to convince him tooth in nail that I'm right?

It's an opinion, and he's free to have it. I just happen to think there's a world of difference between bootleggers trying to rip people off with current titles and someone making a repro of a 7 year old game that never had a release in the West.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm a terrible, terrible person and Suikoden IV is the only one I've gotten all 108 Stars on.

I think that's because it's the easiest. I've only gotten them all in I and IV, and I definitely looked them up for I.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wendell posted:

I'm enjoying Vanguard Bandits off the PSN. The first few battles are too drat slow due to all the computer controlled party members, and I wish my characters weren't in mechs, but it's over all a nice Shining Force substitute.

It becomes a lot less interesting when you realize that the game is pretty telegraphed.

The strategy guide from Working Designs would tell you what exact position to put your party members into, to make the AI respond in certain ways. And I remember absolutely no deviation from the strategies it recommended.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You're wrong about that actually. The Working Designs guide would step-by-step tell you what to do in the first levels but even then it was subject to randomization (and the guide warns you to save), but the step-by-step guide was to get Bastion to Level 7. (To access the Empire route.) The chapters after that had no step-by-step instructions.

So it's still entirely possible to get that one-to-one with their guide on a first try? Because literally the only thing I remember about Vanguard Bandits is that I was able to replicate their results perfectly and thought it was rather boring because of it.

Was the Empire route really easy after you pass that part in the guide or something?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Prism posted:

The Empire route can't be activated at all unless you're high enough level at a certain decision point, and getting that high that fast requires some effort. Since a lot of the fights in the early parts of the game have NPC help, there's relatively less for you to do personally.

I was more talking about the chapters after that decision point, but if you have to sorta overlevel to get there it makes more sense why I forgot that bit.

Well, forget I said anything. More games with robots can't be a bad thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So Namco sent out a little notification on Twitter yesterday advertising that 3DS One Piece RPG that I didn't even know was coming out next week. Can I just assume it's garbage?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spoke Lee posted:

Was gonna play through the Xenosaga games and was wondering if part 3 wrapped the story. I know the series got cut short but were they able to rework things?

One thing to note is if I remember right the gap between 2 and 3 is pretty large while the gap between the first two is non-existent. Naturally there was still plot happening in that gap so when you start 3 be prepared to do some reading so that you're not lost later even if you don't plan to recap the other games. I imagine those plot things were originally going to be other entries in the series, but yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Didn't the writer for the first three Suikoden games up and quit midway through III, too? I remember vague complaints about them not knowing what to do with the story in addition to not wanting to add onto it for the reasons ImpAtom mentioned.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, he did. That's kind of the least of S3's problems, though.

No complaints there. I'm glad somebody bothered to put the plot in a manga because otherwise I'd have never been able to penetrate that game's slow jank to get the story.

I slogged through all of IV just because I was so happy that the battle system had returned to something resembling the old games (which is weird because of how slow the ocean parts play out).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I agree completely. I couldn't get through ten hours of Dean shouting out LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND, LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE or the stupid-rear end noises he made on ladders or.. aaaugh. I just hate Dean. Chuck and Greg were good, though.

Couldn't you turn down the frequency of the characters belting out stupid catch-phrases while you're running around in 4 and 5? I remember that being a weird (yet completely necessary) option.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think people just got tired of it.

Doesn't help that the last real series of it was Link, which had all the poo poo that people complain about in anime and which stopped caring enough about the setting to flat out say the kid got sucked into his PSP instead of anything interesting (or maybe that was just the manga, not sad that Tokyopop wasn't able to finish that mess).

The fighting game is/was a bonus in a JP only movie they did a few years ago. Since it's CyberConnect it just plays like one of the Ultimate Ninja Storm Naruto games and isn't really worth the money considering exchange rates.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm a very weird person that has played the original quadrilogy through three times, yet couldn't get through G.U. vol 2.

I mean, the gameplay is better in G.U., but.. there's no charm at all and the story is loving stupid. I mean, IMOQ's story was dumb, but it was fun goofy dumb.

Ah man, but the ending of two has such a great payoff if you watched Roots at all.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

This is not what happens at all! It's revealed very early on in the series that he's trying to find out who put his friend in a coma and how to help her.

The problem is the game sets up that gank at the beginning by PKs, and then the entirety of the Roots anime series takes place but the game just cuts to Haseo getting ganked by Tri-Edge. I don't blame people for not obsessively following all the separate series.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 22, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

I've recently come into access of all the .hack games (both series). Are they worth playing at all? I don't really mind the episodic nature of it so long as the gameplay is alright and doesn't come across as too much of a slog.

I'd at least give the first game a shot, but would probably agree with the guy that said to sell them (even though I love the series to death).

The first couple games are only like 15 hours a piece if you go out of your way to do most things so it's not a terrible time investment to just see if you enjoy it. Just keep in mind that the latter games in the original series all play mostly the same so if you don't like it after hour 5 you're not going to like it going into the final game, especially since the last game has the most tedious fetch quest I've seen that adds something like 10 hours to the clock.

Speaking of tedious and Arc the Lad, the final boss of the second game was so plodding that I never bothered to load up the third game. Was it any good?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of, it must hold the world record for un-winnable/scripted boss battles.

Nah, that honor goes to Suikoden Tierkreis.

I think two out of every three non-mook fights in that game were unwinnable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah, he has it backwards. Tierkreis has like 2 or 3 unwinnable fights period. One of which you're told well in advance is unwinnable.

Do they all happen in a row or something?

EDIT: Like, I'm looking up reviews and stuff on Google and there's a ton of people complaining about that aspect of the game (in addition to all the other stuff people hate about Tierkreis, of course).

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 14, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I got bored at work and used this guide to count the number of unwinnable battles because I remembered a lot more and while my memory is poo poo I didn't think it's that far off (though my original statement was certainly hyperbole).

Granted the wording on some of these isn't particularly clear from that FAQ, but I generally left those off.

Bosses where you have to survive for (generally 3) a few rounds = 8
Boss where you have to die/kill yourself = Maybe one?
Boss where you can beat them but win after a few rounds, anyway = 2 (Although it's the same boss, just you go into two separate fights)
Bosses where you get into two fights with them one after the other but the first fight is unwinnable = 2

Are you guys just not counting the survival ones? It's bad in any case (though still not as many as I remember).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I died to the loving whelk of all things, but then again I was like, 9? Never played a turn-based RPG (or well, ATB) at that point.

"Why can't my robots move, what's that stupid bar mean?!"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This thing happened while the boards were out.

Suikoden creator making new game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

e:
Was Murayama also the scenario writer/planner for Suikoden, or did someone else handle that?

Honestly I was only going by the article title, gently caress if I know otherwise.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It couldn't be worse than Dawn of Mana at least. Now that was pure unfiltered unenjoyment.

A game that I unironically enjoyed.

Yes it's stupid and doesn't really feel like an RPG at times and super linear but having something like climbing a tower and having a boss fight with some guy at the top as every attack either one of you does destroys said tower was pretty cool.

The art design is really fantastic too. But it's not like I can say it's anything other than an unbelievably slow and un-stylish Kingdom Hearts.

The DS games had absolutely nothing going for them, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did they change anything in the iOS port of Secret of Mana?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I did all the sidequests and had everyone decked out with Prismatic Helms. Those prevent status ailments, right?

I believe he specifically has a move that kills any immunities you have just so he can gently caress you over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time to bug the poo poo out of Tekken's Harada on Twitter if you want a Xenosaga HD collection.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/11/xenosaga-hd-collection-might-possible-needs-tens-thousands-fans/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

This is a bit of an odd question but are there any games out there that let you freely manipulate your levels?

I'm wondering about this because I saw an interesting concept. All EXP sits in a pool and you can level up whoever you want whenever you want manually, but you could also level them down at no cost, allocate stat bonuses that you could later reallocate for free, set your whole party to a specific level... It just seemed like a lot of customizability and it feels weird I've never seen this in a commercial game, so maybe I'm missing out on something here.

Not down to a specific stats, but The World Ends With You let you change your level at any time, and gave you bonuses for playing below your max level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oblomov posted:

How was .hack series? Just checked prices on eBay and man, the print runs must have been tiny.

They're interesting games but wear thin very quickly, especially since the games are just episodic in the same way something like The Walking Dead is (the first four games could have just been one game, and same with the three G.U. games)

I also liked the story but I also was crazy back when these things came out and bought all the associated anime and manga. It's super fractured and you're likely not going to get at the whole of it without dumping a lot of money on it these days (and it's not so great that you should), and just looking at part of it will make it seem confusing and dumb.

Maybe because it is? I dunno, I still like 'em.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

But it didn't have the LB-warning thing, which is weird.

That ends up being nice in the instance that you need somebody alive RIGHT THE gently caress NOW instead of after the warning has time for you to notice.

Also, Dark Cloud 2 would be almost perfect if they didn't flat out tell you how to beat each boss. Like, they all have some sort of interesting gimmick but the game won't let it go without telling you what to do and it makes all the bosses more boring than they need to be.

Probably would have played Spheda more if the first dungeon didn't have water traps on the side of every piece of the map.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hubris.height posted:

How was Tales of Xillia 2, by the way? I still have to beat 1, but I'm pretty far and its been a fun ride for the most part. Is 2 worth getting on sale?

It's the JRPG equivalent of No More Heroes. You go around doing random poo poo to make money and when you have enough you pay to get to the next story segment. The rest of it's mostly the same as the first game except with problems fixed and more abilities, etc.

I'd probably not recommend going straight to it, though, since there's a lot of recycled areas and it could get tedious if you just jump into it right after the first game, but there's little reason for you not to like it if you liked the first game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think at one point in my playthrough, Rowen had a giant Mandragora head on with his glasses on it, and Alvin had a Yuri doll coming out of his crotch just because I thought Danger Jr. sounded like a dick name.

Alvin is currently Big Boss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Also the final boss takes a ridiculously long time to kill. Like, 2 hours or something silly.

I see they hadn't learned anything from Arc the Lad II.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did everybody think the main battle theme of Cross was that bad? Like, that seems to be a unanimous feeling.

It's been a while since I've played the game but it's not like I've forgotten the music and I don't remember ever really getting tired of it. At least, not more than any other RPG that uses the same battle theme throughout, they all get a little old eventually no matter how good they are.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's no Koudelka battle music anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_sgpk8g9o

I mean it's not a bad track but this is the fighting enemies music.

To be fair, that's like one of the few tracks that game actually had. I remember it being mostly atmospheric stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oblomov posted:

A few more indie RPGs that I have from bundles and haven't played. Any thoughts on these:

Fairy Bloom Freesia

From what I remember this isn't really too much of an RPG, just something like taking a Tales game's arena and making that the game.

I didn't play it much, though. Still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Secret of Mana is one of the least grindy games I've ever played, you can max that poo poo if you want but it's completely unnecessary (grinding is pretty much the only "sidequest" since this game has little else).

You don't even really need to have anybody use anything other than one weapon throughout the game, I was super lazy as a kid and just gave the girl the whip and the sprite the axe so I didn't even have to go into a menu when you come across something that needs them.

If you stick to one attack spell the leveling will make it even more broken than attack magic already is.

There's also no scaling for multiplayer so if you've got three people coordinating attacks you can waste bosses in less than 20 seconds.