Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nuebot posted:

Really? I always thought it was the first Tales game that really got it a lot of fresh interest since not a lot of them were localized prior but after that a bunch of them started coming over.

While that's partly true, it's also one of, like, 2-3 good RPGs on the Gamecube so everyone who was stuck with that in the PS2 era has inordinately fond memories of it. I mean, it's not a bad game, but it hasn't aged all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Why are people selling things in RPGs? Breath of Fire 3 taught me to never sell anything for any reason, unless the description specifically says "this item has no purpose other than to be sold." And even then, it's a calculated risk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Daisuke did 90% of the final boss' life in one turn. Clearly a Strength/Agility build isn't terrible.

I always just pump pure magic on the MC though. You can always use Jungo as your strength guy, and there are more spells to throw around.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile and like maybe a couple of the PS1 Tales games are the only ones I could recommend without a giant 'but'.

Actually, I played Suikoden 2 for the first time recently, and I can think of some giant 'buts' to say about it. Most obviously, it seems to have come out smack dab in the absolute worst era of RPG random battles, when the encounter rats were extremely high, battles were tedious auto-attack fests with no strategy, and the rewards for each individual battle were essentially negligible. Seriously, the random battles in that game were hellish, at least from a modern perspective.

Furthermore, the plot emphasizes drama over making any kind of sense. You're forced to fight your best friend literally because he thinks you're destined to fight each other. And he's wrong, apparently. I mean, he gets a more concrete motivation mentioned in passing, but it's not a very good one. A cowardly state that refuses to help fight off the invaders so they can make a self-serving peace treaty then turns around, apparently changes their personality, and valiantly fights to the death for their new best friends, just so they can continue be a thorn in your side for the entire game.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it's hardly unimpeachable.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 20, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

random battles weren't really that common and if you have a decent unite in your party they last like three seconds

They were super common, and dungeons are too big and filled with nothing, and three seconds adds up real fast when you don't feel like you're getting anything out of it. The enemies could literally not harm you, and you get roughly no experience after the first couple of battles in an area, so what's the point? I played this, like, last week.

Oh yeah, and Unite attacks actually slow things down a lot, even if they do more damage per turn. Because of the long animations.

Levantine posted:

Suikoden's random battles (at least the early ones) are nearly instantaneous because your party doesn't take turns whacking the enemy; they all leap forward at once and loving decimate what ever is there. More games need to do that.

Actually, a lot of the normal enemy animations in Suikoden 2 would interrupt the auto-attack chain with like a giant plant digesting you for a couple seconds. Definitely could have been thought out better. Maybe it seemed better than its peers at the time, but from a modern perspective it's just so tedious...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Levantine posted:

I dunno, it's hard to bag on a nearly 20 year old game for not being "thought out better". It's kind of a trailblazer, you know? Is there another game from the era that does battles better because I honestly can't think of one.

Maybe not, but the point was just that it's not a perfect game that can be recommended with no qualifications. I would say its aged badly, in the sense that if it came out today people would compare it to, I dunno, Bravely Default where you can turn off battles or fast forward them, and find the random battles irredeemably terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Actually, I think Suikoden 2's random battles reminded me of Persona Q. Totally trivial things beaten on the first turn by overpowered attacks, and exist only to waste your time. The valid complaints people have about PQ's random battles apply just as much to Suikoden 2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I liked Suikoden V, but I've never beaten it again because it takes 10 hours to get out of the prologue. Suikoden IV is pretty bad, but it's short so at least there's less of it. Suikoden III is interesting but I think it involved a lot of running and forth between the same few places with vague story flags?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 23, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Generally there are two things to keep in mind:

Your other characters have strong moves that can be abused.

Using the D-Counter is fine but you have to make sure you're using as little as possible. With buffing/debuffing and weakening the enemy you can ususually get by with a very small amount of D-usage rather than spamming it,.

Actually, I'd say the most important thing to remember is that there is no way to heal except for healing items (no inns, or cutscene heals either), and you can use as many of them as you want on any given turn. Therefore, it's impossible to waste a healing item unless it's overheal, and there is no reason not to heal to almost-full every turn. This makes it pretty much impossible for anything to kill you, so take it slow and steady. It's a game that heavily rewards patience and not panicking: it's quite possible to win on a first playthrough with no D-Counter usage at all as long as you carry enough healing items.

...also, if you kill a grub with a fire spell it drops roasted grub, which heals more.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 24, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zereth posted:

Aren't the directions you get from some guy the first time correct, it's just the ones in your tent that you can actually check again are wrong?

I'm pretty sure I actually got through the desert the first time, so something must have been right.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As someone who translate Japanese stuff sometimes, I can tell you that they use them often, in everything. There are probably even more ellipses in Japanese that are getting cut out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The intro to BoF3 takes up half the game. You're not done yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nakar posted:

I wonder how bad Omega Quintet really is. I mean, I played through three different Agarest games, how bad could it be?

It's pretty bad. Not in any especially glaring way, it's just not good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'd say the fact that you can either come up with a better strategy or grind is actually one of the main appeals of RPGs, even if most people aren't conscious of it because they always choose one or the other. Unlike most genres, they can easily be built for entirely different playstyles at the same time, without having to do anything gimmicky.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Replenishing items are just another form of MP. No better or worse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Go kill God because God doesn't like you. It's the completely standard JRPG template that gets parodied so often (most games don't actually have you kill God, but for some reason that's the cliche now).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The implication is that she's desperate to get married as she's getting older (like every single anime teacher ever), which I guess isn't unheard of in the West, but it's generally a pretty Japanese joke.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When people say "turn-based" I usually think of something where both sides line up and take turns hitting based on speed or something. IE: Bravely Default. If people's only complaint with it is animation speed though, that's actually the easiest thing in the world for designers to fix.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

al-azad posted:

The tactical stuff like a D&D game or Tactics Ogre can easily be bogged down by pacing but even the traditional Dragon Quest turn based stuff can get super boring because turn based combat was basically perfected on the tabletop. If your game is back and forth attack-item-magic then you really need something standout.

Well, obviously the idea is to make selecting which attack-item-magic to use interesting in some way. Honestly though, games have gotten way better about this in recent years. You hardly ever see a game where you just use attack forever until you need to heal (or use big attacks on bosses), like in the older Final Fantasies. Which basically had the worst battle system ever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The rate of random encounters is probably more of a problem than their existence. I mean, ideally you find the battles engaging because that's pretty much what the gameplay of an RPG is. In a turn-based game, every encounter should be a new puzzle to solve, or a way to test your set-up. So you shouldn't be dreading every new encounter. The problem only occurs when you fight more battles than you need to, which is just meaningless filler to pad out the game. However, the exact same problem can occur if there are too many pre-set battles anyway. And in some ways that can be worse, because you know exactly how much of your time will be wasted. Hope is a powerful drug.

That said, I'm a big fan of some way to skip encounters. If that's just running around their out-of-battle icon, then sure, but that's not the only form it can take.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Technically planets are in space.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sock glue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

If you are able to apply the patch that gets rid of the occasional slowdown in War of the Lions then there's absolutely no reason to play the PSX version

There's also something horrifically wrong with the sound effects in the PSP version.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We're talking about Eschatology though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfuEYiH4KRY

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

bloodychill posted:

When it comes to Trails, being thankful for what we get is the name of the game because of how much work it takes. SC's localization was practically a work of passion and I appreciate every bit of it.

Those games are completely ridiculous. Who in their right mind would write all that text?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's... unique? Combat system is solid but not going to blow you away, and the story would be better if it weren't for the gimmick that any of your party members could turn out to be a "traitor" for literally no reason whatsoever, which greatly limits the dialog they can write.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Divinity: Original Sin is mostly about creating ground zones that blow the gently caress up whenever anyone does anything. It's the kind of game where you cast a chain lightning spell and then literally everyone in a 50 meter radius (including your party) dies because there was a puddle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am a person who liked WA4 more than WA5, by quite a lot. I wouldn't call the story good, but at least it was insane, which worked in its favor. And heck, it kept up the Wild Arms tradition of people talking incoherently about "important concepts" in "quotation marks". WA1 had "hope", WA2 had "heroes", WA3 had "memories", and WA4 had "children". I don't feel like it belabored its point any more than the previous games did, and that was their charm honestly. Maybe it just felt more condensed because the game was shorter?

By contrast, WA5 hired an actual writer to write an actual story, and ended up kind of bland and forgettable. Not to mention it took the WA4 hex combat in exactly the wrong direction by making battles boring slugfests instead of quick and brutal affairs that ended the moment Raquel finally got a turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Either kill time by resting or get a head start on the next mission by making one of everything you haven't made yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

If you're going into interdimensional areas and through portals and poo poo, that's pretty much the end of the game. Not that I blame you, there's a lot of things about Wild Arms 2 that I wanna replay it for, and then I think about it, and there are a lot of things that I really, really don't wanna deal with again.

No no, he's talking about those trapezohedron things. They show up a couple of times throughout the game, and one of your characters even starts the game in one. IIRC, he's talking about a moment when one of the enemy group traps you in one.

Of course, it's been over a decade since I actually played that game so my memories are a bit fuzzy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

While, ideally the translation is amusing in itself, regardless of whether you get the reference. The "dragon for I love you" thing makes sense in context, and seems to fit the character's personality.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If he doesn't actually know English or Japanese, that just makes it all the more impressive, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've heard someone complaining that a werewolf character in FE who brags about his pile of human bones belonging to previous intruders does not explicitly say that he ate them, and that this is censorship.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You don't have to spend 40 dollars on the second game, since it's available as a 20 dollar DLC when you own the first one.

Also each route is as long as a normal Fire Emblem game anyway, so...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i'm really good with rpg names, you see

Their links level up and improve the effectiveness of link attacks, basically (although it depends on the character). So, yes, it does matter for the gameplay, technically, but I wouldn't call it all that important.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sad to see they did not go with Nekomancer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd wager that's the Japanese origin and they just translated it unnecessarily.

As I recall it is not. It's like "cat user" or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Both TitS and ToCS seem to be using their first game of the trilogy as a prologue that slowly and gently introduces the setting and characters so they can tell a more conventionally dramatic story in the following games. It's even been noted that CS is basically the first episode of an anime, plotwise, with 90% of it being the first half of the episode that sets the scene and establishes the existing relationships. So... yeah, it's slow and wordy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is Tiz is a baby god or something.

I'm not spoiler-tagging that, it comes out of nowhere in the ending and amounts to nothing. I don't know if they pick that up in BS, I haven't played it.

Specifically, the idea seemed to be that he died in the disaster in the beginning, and his body was possessed by an angel or something. This was totally irrelevant to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The translation isn't any better though. Or maybe even worse.