Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

mycot posted:

Yeah most Steam tags are Byzantine memes and injokes. So like, any given tag is probably sarcastic.

All touhou games are tagged "faith" which is funny to me. Also like two non-touhou religious games that didn't get the memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annath posted:

Wait, the cool Scottish singing robot lady from the Steam demo isn't who actually joins you?

I admit I haven't played the demo yet beyond checking out the English VA because it was hilarious.

She is a main character but she loses her body early in the game, replacing it with one she found in a scrap heap. Her gameplay gimmick is switching her body though, so I assume you'll get the diva one back by the end.

She stays Scottish even in her new body.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't remember a single thing about the fantasy politics of Suikoden 2, but I do remember that the villain was the evilest person ever and also unkillable because of his ability to shout really loud that he didn't want to die yet. This made him insanely popular among anyone who played the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, whenever anyone says they want a game with politics they always mean they want a third neutral country in between the evil empire and the good kingdom, as opposed to playing the game that takes the bold position that Irish terrorism is morally correct if it's to oppose British rule.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's always Arknights.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2008 was like, after gay marriage was already a big issue and a decent chunk of people supported it? Like, it was something being seriously argued for in a legislative context. Certainly there was a lot of pushback too, but it was absolutely not something the USA was unwilling to even talk about at the time. It was probably the most openly discussed period for it in history?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had a gay character like 10 years before Persona 4.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it barely passed and was super controversial, ie: it was a hot topic that everyone was talking about. It was not an era where "even a problematic mention was unheard of."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am responding to the sentence "even acknowledging it was novel to people." Which is, like, no? It was the biggest, most controversial issue of the year and constantly in the news. Everyone was acknowledging it constantly, no matter what side of the issue they were on. Gay visibility was at an all-time high.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mass Effect came out in 2007 and you could have gay sex with an alien. Admittedly, I can see how P4 would get points for at least appearing more introspective about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Janissary Hop posted:

In 2008 both primary candidates for the presidency of the "liberal" party were against it. It was absolutely not being seriously argued for in a legislative context except maybe by some fringe members. It wouldn't be until Obama's second term when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage that suddenly that wing of the party decided public opinion was on their side and their positions "evolved". Don't even need to mention the Republican position on this was and that it remains unchanged.

It doesn't matter if they were supporting gay marriage or not, the point was that everyone was publicly acknowledging that gay people existed (and should be fine with civil unions or whatever). Gays were visible.

If Kanji was the first maybe-gay character you encountered in media you were living in a hole, that's what I am saying.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I was super into Touhou.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm, possible, but hear me out.

What if we find those people but then we do an AI script and then hire those people to fix the AI script for roughly 50% of what we'd normally pay them because it's just editing instead of translation.

Editors get paid 1/3 as much as translators, actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, even I am already thinking "$50 is a lot for a game, isn't it...?"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not a kickstarter game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wanted posters are a timeless classic. But my favorite is the one in Honkai Star Rail where they draw posters for the main characters, but the only person in the military who can draw is the girl who makes BL shoujo manga doujinshi:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nrook posted:

oh gently caress it's insane korean antifeminism stuff isn't it. dammit. I remember hearing about this now

Yes, that's it.

The games themselves were popular among leftists for an anti-capitalism message (I think?), so they found it particularly vexing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think that's uniquely a Project Moon problem, more that insane antifeminists in Korea have been given way too much power generally. Like, Limbus Company is not the only gacha that's immediately bowed down to their demands. Pretty much all the Korean publishers do, afaik.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, was that the source of the loving insane "a finger near another finger is secretly small penis mockery" thing?

Limbus Company was not the first, nor will it be the last. It was just one in a long line of loving insane finger position stuff.

Edit: Limbus Company just stands out more because the content of their games gave people the impression that maybe they would actually fight back. And then they didn't.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In Emerald Beyond, is there a way to check what a mech skill does without equipping the item and then going over to the equip skills screen? Because that is a huge pain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, it's kind of nice when they show you the right way so you can easily avoid it. The weird part is when they're designed as if you're actually trying to reach the end which can muddle things significantly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

Theres one weird translation box in Eiyuden late game that feels like the translator thought it was a narration of what was occurring instead of a characters thought, but its also an optional meaningless npc

I feel like that's a pretty reasonable mistake for a translator to make given it was probably just a line on a spreadsheet with minimal context. It's really more of a QA problem in that someone else is supposed to go through and make sure everything looks okay in-game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Notably he is not even remotely an action hero, but more like a mad scientist, iirc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Looper posted:

i would love for the anime to be popular enough that a non-mobile dungeon meshi game materializes. you could make it anything and i'll play it

Arknights-Dungeon Meshi is awesome, actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have to imagine that "be more careful about which IPs to invest in" means "don't invest in unproven IPs no one cares about" rather than "don't invest in our flagship IP that's kept us alive all these years."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The ones we just did. It was already noted that the Octopath director got promoted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

I love Troubleshooter to death but the glacial speed at which you collect party members is one of the few lovely things about it. They really wanted to sell the "struggling startup" thing but it makes the early game a huge slog, especially if you're playing blind and don't have foreknowledge to just beeline the story until you've got a crew and instead try to spend time doing side content when you've just got Albus and Sion.

I'm pretty sure the actual reason was that it was in Early Access for a long time and their stage designers worked faster than their character pipeline.

The entire game is like a first draft since they never removed anything once it was added.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

While it didn't add anything, the rent you were charged was such a completely microscopic amount it just sort of felt like a little bonus flavor thing and didn't really detract from anything either.

The problem is that it wastes your time. Like, it's only a few seconds every so often, but if you play a lot it will happen a lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Early game character building (ie: masteries) is also super boring compared to later.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You don't recruit Joon Gi Han (Korean Vergil) in the latest Like a Dragon until Chapter 13 of a 14 Chapter game.

There should be a law against putting latecomers on the boxart. I never got far into Troubleshooter but I do know the actual protagonist is actually some painfully generic guy who's not on the cover-art. The game's too daunting to get back into with a backlog right now, but I would try a separate game that ditches the baggage and him.

Irene is not a latecomer, she's the 3rd party member out of like 12. It's just that you spend a frankly unreasonable amount of time with only 2 party members.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

poor albus, there is actual nuance to his character but he will always be known as the generic guy because of his simple character design and the inability of people to read between the lines. he may be the least interesting character in the party but he isn't truly boring or anything...

I liked that whole sequence showing him as an intern working for Giselle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To save assets, they should've just let the town stay on fire.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You should get a refund on your faulty genius tactician.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No party control is something they've clearly backed down on, but it originally served a pretty important thematic role in asserting that you are, by nature, fundamentally alone in this world. You are not playing as SEES, the team, you are playing as this one particular dude who has no control over anyone else's lives, you can only touch them indirectly. This ties into the whole idea of slowly building up your social links, as well as the fact that no one in your party really trusts each other at first. And also why the game ends when the MC dies. Because no one else is you, and they're certainly not going to die for you like they do in P4 or P5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The translators should've fixed the writing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I've heard the formation where you get BP for conditionals aka interrupts can be very powerful too, as you can get up to max quickly.

I used that for most of the buddy cop route, until the final boss which basically only used elemental attacks so I couldn't interrupt it at all. So I needed to switch formations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, it shifts to a bunch of people you've never heard of, but they're cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I played PoE1 for like an hour, which I hated every minute of, and while I had some vague sense that there was eventually a PoE2 I've never felt the slightest urge to try it. I had no impression of whether fans thought it was good or bad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I never even liked Suikoden that much, so I haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's still funny that the original design of D&D was more PvP with the DM trying to kill the players.