Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
'sup. Think this Is the right thread for this. I've playing Octopath 2 this last week and I'm liking It a lot. If I'm liking the sandbox approach to RPGs guessing I might like Saga? I've bought the remaster and I'm thinking that's next on my list, just thought I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Endorph posted:

octopath definitely has SaGa influence but in SaGa the like, character progression systems are generally much more obtuse, to varying degrees depending on game. theres a lot of weird experimentation you have to do if you dont use a guide, as opposed to octopath's pretty straightforward skill system

More obtuse Is generally fine by by me. If it wasn't I wouldn't be looking at SaGa for my next step lol.

Weird experimentation Is kind of exactly what I'm looking for. Octopath 2 Is sorta limited in that regard so I'm hoping that SaGa, on account of being older and less designed, scratches the itch I'm looking for. Getting things I'm not supposed to get yet though path actions has been a highlight of my Octopath playthrough. So, mechanically, it scratches that itch just fine. I'd really like if these guys interacted a bit more outside of party talk (it's what what I love about Tales, the skits really go a long way in that regard, but there's also a lot more of those compared to Octopath's party banter)

But if it's about pure gameplay I'm guessing SaGa's the next step and Octopath was just the gateway drug, so to speak.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

dkj posted:

Started Crisis Core and the writing/dialog is so cringey anime like. Does it improve or should I just skip this one?

Depends where you're gotten to. But crisis Core owns in the sense that all the Zack, Aerith and Sephiroth writing Is generally pretty good. It's an excelent companion piece for Ff VII, and probably worth going through if you're gonna play Rebirth (since Intergrade kind of Made It clear that they're gonna be using all of the FF7 expanded universe).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Legacy of Goku owned (or at least I liked It a lot for what It was). Holds a special place in my heart as One of those weirdly competent licensed RPGs alongside things like the Harry Potter Game Boy Color game and the Inuyasha ps2 game.

Never played 2 or Buu's fury but guessing those where better (since they got to iterate).

Rascyc posted:

Which remaster did you get?

Frontier remaster for the Switch

they want shady
May 11, 2013
So, d’ya reckon Summon Knight is worth playing, then? I’ve recently gotten Developer mode for my Series X and I’m looking at what to do with it. Was thinking I’d revisit Digimon World but all this Summon Knight talk sounds intriguing and it’s not like there’s a limit to piracy lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Been wrapping up the individual stories in Octopath 2 and this really is a special little game, huh

Love how clever path actions make you feel at least the first couple of times, and by the time you mostly know what to do I was still having fun just piecing together what the deal was with the various NPCs based on their bios and the things they were carrying (love the neat little story you can get out of reading like five or so bios in Cape Cold, for example). Might not be anything new (I wouldn't know fwiw, it's part of the reason I'm looking forward to trying SaGa so much) but it's great that the game feels all the more rewarding even in ways that don't really affect gameplay just for paying a little attention.

Which is even more true when it does. Some of the sidequests are pretty clever and I cherished every moment where I felt stupid for not figuring them out earlier. In general I've really liked the sidequests in this game. Even the ones that are pretty straightforward are usually very direct and never feel like they waste your time. Some even seem like they have multiple possible solutions and that's always cool.

As for the endings even the plots I thought weren't really doing a lot for me managed to land pretty well on their feet, I felt. How they integrated the path actions into each one was personally hit or miss but the ones that worked hit so, so good (Ochette, Partitio, and Castti's were my favorites). The final bosses were all pretty great too. Some I found mechanically thematically prefect (Throne, Temenos) and others I still liked as well-characterized fun little romps (Agneas, Partitio's… his ending was just A+ all around, is what I'm saying). Also, that loving boss song ain't leaving me anytime soon.

Other endings that I didn't care for as much (Temenos and Hikari's, mainly) feel like they were still setting up some things for after the character tales so I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the game shakes out.

Still not done but I'm overall really liking just about everything the game's putting down and wanted to gush a little bit about it somewhere, and it's sadly one of those games that's way too hard a sell for my irl friends so I probably won't even bother trying lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Nucular Carmul posted:

How we feeling about Granblue Fantasy Relink based on what we've seen so far. People think demo tomorrow? I've always thought the art was pretty interesting for the characters, but I'm not really into fighting games and I think the only other thing was some mobile game thing? Looking forward to finally being able to get into it.

Haven't played anything Granblue but I'm personally very excited just for getting what looks to be a solid action RPG with a gacha budget behind it. Didn't even know it had multiplayer until catching up to the thread just now, hope it lights the fire under Tales's rear end. Also hope the PC port is good, is this Cygames's first in-house PC game (other than whatever work was done by platinum) or where they also involved in the technical side of versus/rising?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cygames rewrote the engine after Platnium left (presumably because Platinum's engine and tools are notoriously shite), though I think their first PC port would be Little Noah?

Looked them up since I got curious and I honestly asked that question as I did since I only knew Cygames as the Granblue people and it turns out we're both wrong. From what I've read (looked at a list on wikipedia and then confirmed dates and poo poo with other sources) the first solo in-house Cygames PC game is Shadowverse (which I actually did play a bit because a Hearthstone-obsessed friend recommended it back in the day lol but back then Cygames was just a logo and now they're the granblue powerhouse so it's much easier commiting this to memory now) and their first port was Zone of the Enders 2 for some reason.

Now, Zone of the Enders sort of helps but looking at the list it's not like they have the pedigree on console or pc to really judge Relink beforehand (I mean specifically with experience on any ambitious 3D games, just in case that statement came out wrong), especially since it's developed by Cygames Osaka and far as I can tell this is their debut game and I can't find out anything about prominent staff members or anything yet (wich will surely change once Relink actually comes out and we get access to some proper credits lol).

So, thanks for bringing up a game I hadn't heard of since that got me to shed my Granblue prejudice and look at them properly. Still a mystery if Relink will be good or not (whether it be just the port or the actual game, guess we'll find out if the demo does drop soon), but hopefully by dropping these little tidbits we can at least skip a couple of posts telling us that Shadowverse was their first pc game, actually (unless I'm wrong or somethin' then just correct me or whatever, not gonna take it personally either way).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
That said, and I haven't looked this up fwiw, genuinely didn't know that Platinum games stuff was a hassle to work with. Like, I assumed they were a good omen since their PC ports I've played have ran just about perfectly (taking into account that half of those are 360 ports so saying that isn't really impressive). Good to know going forward, though. Thanks again.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Endorph posted:

cygames hired a lot of ex-squeenix and mistwalker staff (who in turn are the guys who made shadow hearts) so they arent completely without experience, its not like they formed out of the aether to make gacha

Yeah, of course. S' why I tried to find specific names to tie to the product to get some idea of what to expect, but there's not a lot of juice to squeeze there just yet (until we get some actual credits). Best I found was that the old director (on the Platinum side) was Yasuyuki Kaji who did art or animation for Automata, Bayonetta 2, and Revengance and this could've been his big break as actual director: and current director and producing staff are the same as the other granblue games internally, including Versus/Rising which also had outsourced bits to its development (director Tetsuya Fukuhara and producer Koichi Haruta). Not familiar with their work yet (other than the Platinum guy) but still nice to know the names in case I'm impressed with Relink I guess.

they want shady fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 11, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

goblin week posted:

Does GBFR have the fighting game character who was three catboys

The guys whose victory screens implied that all the fights were just bullshitting at the bar, right? Those guys own and I’m pretty sure they’re from GBF, yeah.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Oh, thought GBFR meant Rising instead of Relink lol nvm

they want shady
May 11, 2013
i've finished Octopath. Probably should go unto saga next but I've been loving Infinite Wealth a lot since

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Honestly Infinite Wealth Is a near perfect RPG as long as you don't care about gals

they want shady
May 11, 2013
If you do It becomes a way More nuanced affair

they want shady fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

What game Is that from?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

I genuinely checked out Mystic Quest based solely on how hard the Theatrhythm songs went and I was fairly disappointed

That's normal. At least the way I see It.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
For all the good and bad Ff 3 Mystic Quest Is still an old school RPH

they want shady
May 11, 2013
*RPG

they want shady
May 11, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Agnea's story in Octopath 2 is so goddamn boring.

I agree but her final boss makes up for It pretty hard

they want shady
May 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

gals are epic

They are, but going into an RGG game expecting nuanced treatment of women is a grand fool's errand even if Infinite Wealth is their best attempt yet. Game still rules hard tho

they want shady
May 11, 2013

The Colonel posted:

all i've heard about 2d mode is that it's a funny gimmick but in practice is way slower and has half the stuff in it because they absolutely weren't going to be remaking every part of the game for it in full

I can vouch for this, as someone who played the Game normally first and then tried 2D as an excuse for a second playthrough

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

The 3ds is an actual de make with a 3d graphical style similar to the other portable 3d titles

Like FF XV pocket edition? Didn't know they went extra with the 3DS version but It's cool if they did. Is it a straight upgrade from Definitive S's 2D mode?

they want shady
May 11, 2013
gently caress me, didn't procesos that you said 3D lol I am a retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

babypolis posted:

i wonder why that formula never caught on more, rpg + zelda seems like such a slam dunk but theres barely any games like it

Isn’t this Ys, pretty much?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Ys has the Zelda overworld & real-time combat, but not much in the way of gadgets or puzzles

That's the hard part though, ain't it. Which is interesting to me since puzzles and RPGs have gone hand in hand since I've been playing the genre. Off the top of my head games with Zelda-like puzzles would be, like, Tales of Symphonia or FFX which had block puzzles and other similar things. And a More recent example would be Crosscode or Tunic but both those games wear their Zelda influences on their sleeves

Zelda gadgets as in upgrades that work for both puzzles and combat I can think of even less examples and I'd be honestly pretty interested to hear if you or anyone else that reads this thread has played an RPG with anything they'd consider Zelda gadgets.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Xenoblade 2 owns. It's also the only Xenoblade I've gone back to after finishing since, with the DLC, it actually has a pretty meaty postgame

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Finished Infinite Wealth, honestly cooled down on the game a bit by the end. It's a good game and a great sequel, but the ending pulled back the curtains on some things that left me feeling ok with calling it a bit of a mess.

Dunno if that's a hot or cold take around here since I've been avoiding spoilers, but here's some thoughts on that so it's not just a poo poo and run:

(massive spoilers for Infinite Wealth including the very end of the game)

Goddamn did the end of Kiryu's life links leave a sour taste in my mouth. In a game that's all about self-worth, and at the end of a side quest chain that's all about getting Kiryu to see how much of a positive influence he's been on peoples' lives, we pretty much end with Kiryu at his worst.

I liked most everything about the life links. It's frustrating that Kiryu can't meet up with (most of) the old cast because of his deal with the Daidoji, but that's the point. It's supposed to be frustrating, but throughout his conversations with Date it also starts to explore some interesting ideas that Kiryu's mostly respecting the deal as an out to facing his own problems of self-worth and his fear of mortality.

There's some genuinely nice scenes in there and I liked pretty much all of them (although Sayama's did make me laugh a bit since it's so centered around her maybe waiting for Kiryu even though one of the only bits of characterization she got after Yakuza 2 is that she didn't do that). Akiyama's frank conversation with Kiryu and Date after he busts them was especially good and left me a bit disappointed with Kiryu's reunion with Majima, Daigo, and Saejima in the main story in comparison.

The last life link is also mostly very good up to the point where he almost meets up with Haruka but chooses not to. It's the bits after that don't sit well with me. It makes sense that the Daidoji would try to rein in Kiryu and that and their comeuppance is mostly fine. The thing that really fucks with me is after beating them up when Kiryu promises to renew his deal with them but this time also excluding Date, Kasuga, and the rest of his newfound friends from his life once he's done with the current mission.

His farewell with Date after that is a very good bittersweet moment. It just feels bad at the end of Kiryu's big sidequest feature where he's supposed to be learining to love himself again (with stat boosts in his self-actualization stats to match!) and his conclusion being to push everyone left away.

I find it especially jarring now that I've finished the game and the ending actually contradicts it. Felt a bit hollow when the achievement "The man who regained his name" popped up since I sure didn't see how that happened.

Like, genuinely asking, did I miss something with this scene? Maybe I misread it, or maybe there's something bridging that with the end of the game that I'm not remembering or didn't find. For how well crafted the rest of the emotional beats in the game are (Takaya Kuroda slayed that scene after the final boss), I'm genuinely baffled at how the end of the life links makes sense. So if I'm missing something or anyone has a more optimistic reading on that I would genuinely love to hear it.

There's other stuff but this post is long enough for this. Still enjoying the game a lot (doing Big Swell and wrapping up Kasuga's sidequests) so it's not like I'm burnt out from it. Just about every gameplay change they've done from 7 to 8 has been for the better, I feel. If I post anything longer it'll probably go to the Yakuza thread proper now that I can finally read it, was just organizing my thoughts on the game and this one bit is really breaking my mind lol

Tl;dr: Sujimon gets very boring very fast even if there are some good jokes around it

they want shady
May 11, 2013
also just a hell of a track

why is that, like, the one RGG soundtrack they don't have up on streaming? Dead Souls is up there for chrissake

they want shady
May 11, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i still want an f-zero spinoff where outside of the races it becomes Like A Falcon and you're running around mute city helping people with random bullshit and fighting supervillains

I've also wanted this exact thing for years. Think I even shitposted about it to my irl friends back when Yakuza 1 and 2 were getting ported to the WiiU. Sadly think RGG's gotten too big for that but dreams are forever free and I'll keep believing in that and the Bloodborne Pc port till I'm dead.

MechaX posted:

Was he truly the villain if he had to constantly ask everyone what was going on or what was happening at every plot point because he didn’t understand anything?

Absolutely

(spoilers for YIIK but does anyone actually care???)

Guy's still both the fake and real final boss in a way. Whole game's plot cribs a lot from Xenogears but all they got from it was the twist and that it has a lot of text.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
My perspective on the whole "playing as the bad guys" stuff is that it's pretty dumb since most competent games will give you a choice if you really want to go there since being forced to play as an actual villain sucks. There's plenty of games I can think of where you or the party you control does tremendously bad stuff, but it's always in service of a story of atonement (eg. Tales of the Abysss, Baten Kaitos). Being an actual bad person with no choice or redemption is the territory of indie games that actively want to make you feel bad, if they actually commit to it and don't just bring it up as as just a twist to feel clever (eg. fuckin Braid).

they want shady fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 25, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Not that I think that only RGG can make that kind of game but just a shorthand for 'open world game brawler that's smaller than a Far Cry map but bigger than Shenmue'. That and Kamen Riders are the only Japanese masked vigilante group I can think of. Not that I'd turn down a Pretty Cure or just Magical Girl brawler but I don't know which one's more common.

More studios could definitely do it if they wanted to, but, as you said, it's just sort of a niche that RGG has on lock and really nobody I can think of's treading on it.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't think playing as an actual villain would suck that much in this genre since the mechanics are typically built around power fantasies.

It doesn't as a power fantasy, just playing as a villain is pretty abnormal in the morality sense (at least thinking back to that infographic from mass effect that showed, I think, 2/3ds of the player base will choose to go paragon wherever possible).

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't get why the bad person in question has to be unsympathetic? why is that a rule...

It's not a rule or anything, but making them unsympaphetic I think is kind of a prerequiste of the whole "playing as bad guys" thing. It's why I think this perspective is entirely poo poo lol (and I'm definitely not helping by engaging in it). Most games that have you playing as the "bad guys" will give you an out to not carry out the worst parts of their morality, is all I'm saying.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I've played a few tales games before (last one was berseria I think), how's the story for arise? Saw it was available for psplus and wanted to check it out.

Story starts out strong and it still has some good highs throughout and all the way to the end. It's a solid enough game for one playthrough, it's one of the few Tales games I've never felt like replaying after I was done with it though, for what it's worth.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Professor Moriarty posted:

Lemme (re?)open this can of worms and ask: what's considered the best Tales game? Berseria?

Every tales is someone's favorite but probably Berseria, Graces, Abyss, or Destiny Remake depending on who you ask and what you're looking for.

Honest Thief posted:

the first one you play to the end

Symphonia was magic at the time but I really don't like that game a lot these days lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of "This is overall pretty good but doesn't excel in any single area" my favorite is Xilia.

I also have a very soft spot for the Xillias

And hey, Xillia 1 had to walk so Xillia 2 could run the most mechanically complex character in tales' history (and also the best drip of any of the casts imo)

Also were the last games, I think, with the freeform attachment system and I miss that dearly.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Octo 2 never got fixed. If something looks like it's useless it's probably something you should try out a few times to see if it behaves like the tooltip reads.

just looked up the mistranslated skills and holy poo poo

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Weirdly I've found that doesn't really hold up. I've found a lot of the people who really get into minmaxing and optimizing don't really tie it to figuring out themselves and will look up guides/tutorial/etc on how to minmax most effectively. There's a pretty vocal group of people who mixnmax based off guides and such and then complain about the game being too easy because it's designed around people figuring things out themselves.

Used to be like that but thankfully FFX remastered post game broke me and I've never looked back. I like to play around and optimize a bit but as the years've gone by I've realized that if I'm looking at a guide on how to play the game then it means the game already lost me. Friend recommended I play Persona 5 like that and I gave it a shot and at some point I realized I just wasn't having fun. Prefer to be blissful and ignorant as I go through games these days (at least for a first playthrough).

Part of me resents having learned the ins and outs of IVs and EVs back in the day since the only "competitive" Pokemon I like is rental-only bouts of Stadium 1 and 2 with irl friends so all I got out of it is that I can't look at the little monsters the same lol (it's better now that there's the option to just make them perfect in the end game with all the items for minmaxxing the Pokemon tho)

Strangely enough I do like minmaxxing in the Disgaea series, but I guess the difference is that that game is pretty open about what it's all about and most of the process are things like item world which are fun in and of themselves, though.

Barudak posted:

I dont care as long as we all agree people who believe meta is acronym for "Most Effective Tactic Available" are dolts

Never heard that one before but I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

GateOfD posted:

I do think the argument line of “a weaker choice can beat a stronger one if the other user is a dummy” is weak weak though. Because a common strong “meta” pick criteria is that even dummies can’t mess it up.

Rather argue that lower picked ones have a really strong niche that if you exploit that str. they can go above their tier.

How so? A dummy can absolutely gently caress up playing meta picks or strategies if they plain don't understand the game.

The second bit is absolutely true though, it's why tier lists and meta are malleable and even "solved" games still see a shakeup or two given enopugh time and effort from players who like to push and experiment with lower tier characters.

Mainly speaking about fighting games here, for what it's worth.