Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

This is the only video game that matters in this world. It changed my life. I started getting good grades. I got a girlfriend. I started going outside. I went to the gym. I started eating better. All because of BSUAJ:G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

JammyLammy posted:

Let me steal this question for my own personal gain. Is there a game with a story as good as Ogre Battle? Something that doesn't make you embarrassed watching.

Tired of teens saving the world from cliche overlord.

Be more specific. There are a lot of rpgs that fit that criteria.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

pesty13480 posted:

That being said, you'll need the Circle of Eight Modification to even get your GoG dollars worth out of ToEE. It's mainly a game about the combat, anyhow.

The game is amazing with that mod. Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Icewind Dale 1/2 would be amazing on that engine. TOEE did D&D combat really loving well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gyoru posted:

Going to recommend Drakensang (Archived Thread) for people looking for a NWN fix. It's a 2008 German RPG with a German DnDish ruleset that was localized in early 2009. A prequel and its expansion, Drakensang: The River of Time and Drakensang: Phileasson's Secret, are going to be released in early 2011 in the US/UK although RoT is already out in English in the Benelux region.

Drakensang is really, really terrible and you should only play it if your tolerance for RPGs is tremendously high.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Megaflare posted:

I actually found Drakensang pretty fun but I also liked both NWN/NWN2. But like most of my games, I haven't finished it so I don't know if it drags on after a while or anything.

You didn't miss anything, I think it might have the worst ending for an RPG in history.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It would be really hard to find a game worse than DA2 or at least more commercially vile. Space Siege maybe?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

eyebrow posted:

Which is better: King's Bounty: The Legend or Armored Princess? I hear Armored Princess is better gameplay-wise but worse story-wise.

Whoever told you it is worse story wise is a dumbass, because no one plays those games for the story.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Limorkil posted:

I play RPGs almost exclusively, particularly if you use a fairly loose definition of "RPG".

You have, for the most part, a really good taste of games my friend.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I lost my Witcher 1 saves a long time ago (I never expected it to get a sequel.) If I import a save, what decisions have an impact in the Witcher 2? They can be major or minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
RPGs, or games with heavy amounts of RPG in them, with class changing/ascension are fun to me. I like to be able to customize a character's development by finding the right amount of levels to put into a certain class, then changing to another. Or get the right stats and ascend to an elite class. What are some good examples of this? Games I'm thinking of are the Wizardry series, Might and Magic 6-8, Wizards and Warriors (PC), Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Demise: Ascension, Infinity Engine games, and Pathfinder.