Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
A lot of the stuff vgperson translates might be good to take a look at too - I'm specifically thinking of Liar Jeannie in Crucifix Kingdom; Mimicry Man isn't actually an RPG, but it plays like one (and is pretty weird).

e: if you do, absolutely check the content warnings though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I just started playing it today, and so far it's pretty good.

SC games tend to go on sale fairly often if you're on the fence, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tales of Phantasia had a vocal song over the credits, iirc, it was just at the beginning of the game, not the end.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ar tonelico is one of those things I wish I could recommend more because the worldbuilding is SO GOOD and the music is SO GOOD and the conlang is SO COOL but it's wrapped around gameplay that's pretty eh at best.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The Colonel posted:

ar tonelico is only like 15 hours long at least and you can speed that up a lot on an emulator

ar tonelico 2 is a lot easier to stomach in general

yeah, AT2 was what got me into being an AT fan.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I never got too far in steambot chronicles because small dumb me found the actual bot stuff too hard to control. Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I know this isn't very descriptive or helpful or anything but does anyone know this character? All I can remember is that she had one of those weird impossible designs where like, her ribbon was tied into her hair and they were kinda merged somehow.

Hina Kagiyama?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

I'm glad to heard that Valkyrie Profile 1's combat is allegedly even better than Indivisible's, I'm looking forward to playing that once I'm done with Indivisible.
What about Valkyrie Profile 2?

VP2 has VP1's combat stapled to a break point system that can be very annoying to manage (and a field of battle).

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdNw8tb2tc

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I can't speak to what'll get you, but VP is definitely pretty distinct from most JRPGs in story, at least.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Zushio posted:

If anyone liked the combat in Indivisible I would suggest check out Super Robot Taisen: Endless Frontier. It's a spinoff from the regular SRW series and features people instead of robots and uses traditional RPG mechanics (exploring maps, random encounters). Plays very much like an evolution of the NamcoXCapcom games or one of the Project X Zone games, but with much tighter and more rewarding combos because of the focused cast (opposed to dozens of characters).

The first one came out Stateside and while the story is a little dumb and generic anime the gameplay is super enjoyable. It's also a game where item usage, while not critical, can break the game in half if done well. Oh, and somehow it's also a Xenosaga crossover. KOS-MOS is literally in your main party.

FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I'm thinking more like if Ghost Trick were a combat game

Knights in the Nightmare?

I'd be lying if I said I'd gotten far enough to know what the gently caress the deal with basically anything was, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I try not to think about fire emblem fates if I can avoid it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, VP2 is gorgeous and the battle system is greatly expanded from VP1.

The story doesn't feel as interesting to me, though; it feels a lot more Standard JRPG than its predecessor, and I never got very good at the break mechanics.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I understand why SE insists on people showing gameplay footage with any music posted on youtube, but it makes it really hard to just go LISTEN TO THE COOL MUSIC for spoiler things like final bosses and Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Reminds me of the DS RPG Sands of Destruction.

In theory: You could level up your attacks separately, choosing between a strong, slow attack, a normal attack, and a fast attack that hit multiple times.

In practice: You maxed the fast attack asap, slapped a bunch of attack boosts on, and absolutely shredded bosses because building evenly is for suckers.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wouldn't say in EVERY way. Vesperia has more fun combat, for as much fun as TP-based Tales combat can be. Abyss has by far the better plot though.

I'm a weird contrarian in this thread because I still like Vesperia, warts and all, for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's by far my favorite of the "old-style" Tales games, especially with the PS3 version improvements. I think I just liked the gear system a lot because it reminded me of FF9, the objectively best mainline FF game. In fact, Vesperia was only beat as my favorite Tales game overall with the release of Berseria, the only Tales game (In English, anyways, people make a lot of noise about Rebirth but I'll never know due to moonspeak) to actually have both good gameplay AND a good story, imho.

Eternia exists. :colbert:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

When does Cyber Sleuth's story get good? It reads like a badly translated scifi VN

probably about the same time everything starts going to poo poo

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Even setting aside the psp version of Star Ocean 2, you could run a team of Rena/Celine/Opera/Precis/Chisato with your pick of four dudes for the last three spots.

SO2 has a real problem where the best female character and the best male character are mutually exclusive though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, you can't get Opera if you get Ashton and vice versa, regardless of party size limits.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

That's all correct except you meant Noel, not Leon, for the second neutral character.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Is Second Evolution really that bad? What does it change aside from adding a (possibly) bad party member? I have the PSX version but never beat it, and have been eyeing the PSP ports for a while (though I'll probably get First Departure R when it releases for Switch instead, now).

The translation is a little better, the character portraits are a little better. The voice acting is bland at best and absolutely atrocious at worst (RIP Ashton), and not even charmingly bad like the PS1's version. The script is a little better, maybe? There are some localization changes that annoy me (nothing as bad as the change from Ratix to Roddick in SO1), and I really don't like the ALL CAPS NAMES ALL THE TIMES stylization choice they made.

Actual complaints rather than nitpicks: The cool 'ingredient morphs into item' animation from the PS1 version is gone, replaced by a flash of light and some bad voice acting. They fixed some issues with melee combat and hit counts, but all that served to do was widen the gap between melee characters and mages. Even worse, they took out the main thing making mages relevant at mid- to high-levels, Spell Absorption. They also (for some weird reason) broke up the inventory to a bunch of sub-lists which makes it very difficult to find things.

As someone who'd happily call the PS1 version one of their favorite games, warts and all, I couldn't get too far into the PSP version before I gave up on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

What happened with go shiina and bamco?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh, that's a lot less dramatic than bridge-burning.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Extremely lukewarm take: the ost and the characters were the best parts of Tales of Legendia

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is there anyone actually disputing that?

that's why it's extremely lukewarm

The Colonel posted:

game really deserves a remake that keeps the same general story and same music but makes it not look like a weird dreamcast game they ported up to the ps2 and gives it combat that functions

Yeah, I'd be down for that. Maybe integrate the plot and character stuff a bit better, too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

His avatar's fitting either way.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Lunar 2's Ruby. uhhhhh

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

please don't play yiik even ironically

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I remember spending way more time playing Xenosaga 1's card game than actually playing Xenosaga.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Is Exist Archive any good? I saw that it had a lot of VP framework and that caught my attention.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

drat. Thanks for the warning.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tales of Woe posted:

what are the best 3DS jrpgs that aren't Atlus games or remakes of older games?

7th Dragon Code VFD, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter Stories was pretty ok if you're into Pokemon-alikes, Crimson Shroud if you really want to play a tabletop game on the 3ds (I enjoyed it a lot).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

EO IV had a really good story, even if it wasn't one of the story remakes.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

1 is okay and the PSP/R remake was a pretty big improvement. You'll probably enjoy it if you can get past the name Roddick.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So I recently got around to playing Etrian Odyssey Nexus. The last one I played was EO3, and that was a good while ago, so it's taken a bit of getting used to. The amount of choice in terms of party composition was pretty paralyzing at first, especially since I only remember half the classes -- and half of those they changed. Not wanting to get too experimental, I went with a party of classes I was already familiar with -- Sovereign, Protector, Gunner, Zodiac -- with Imperial being the only new one because a friend of mine swears by it.

Just hit the third floor of the first real dungeon after the tutorial one and I've already had to pry myself from the game with bloodshot eyes a few nights in a row. Playing it on the normal difficulty level, and I figure I'm still early enough that I could course correct any major party faux pas. So far it doesn't look like skipping IV and V is going to cause me any real confusion.

Anything I should be doing now to prevent any major headaches later down the line? Stuff that might not seem so obvious right now, but might result in some facepalming dozens of hours later?

Make sure you map out every area as thoroughly as you can. Don't just rely on the auto-map (though the auto-map's pretty good by now). It's easy enough to switch characters and classes around, so don't worry too much about that.

You'll probably want a party of survivalists and/or farmers for gather point farming later on, but it's not immediately pressing.

e: whoops you've played an EO game before, so uh, yeah

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

at the very least you should listen to the soundtrack because it's good

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Odin Sphere is really good if you haven't played it on PS2, or even if you have and you want an experience unfettered by lag.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

someone asked about good PS2 rpgs so:

-Valkyrie Profile 2
- Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant
- Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
- Suikoden V
- play odin sphere, you fucker
- Radiata Stories
- Okage: Shadow King
- Wild Arms: Alter Code F and Wild Arms 3
- Final Fantasy X/X-2/XII

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Looper posted:

I'm gonna dissent and say please don't play ps2 odin sphere

I already recommended they play leifthrasir, just reiterating here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Amppelix posted:

I kinda wanna buy Star Ocean First Departure R (which is now out) on Switch

Should I buy Star Ocean First Departure R on Switch

do you like star trek and/or item crafting

Star Ocean 1 is... okay, but suffers from having a completely unrelated plot tacked on after the logical endpoint. Also it's even more weird and convoluted about character recruitment than the other games are, if that bothers you. I enjoyed it, but I'm also very into the Star Ocean series in general.

e: obviously I haven't played SOFDR, but I've also only played the snes version of SO1