Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On the whole 100% completition thing, I'd argue that if you didn't enjoy a game enough to replay it you won't really care to 100% complete it. And this is coming from someone who is stuck at the beggining of Xenoblade Chronicles 1 cause I really don't wanna miss out on anything related to affinities and sidequests (although in this case it's more because it's such a long game I'm not sure I will NG+ it even if I love it).

It's true that FOMO is irrational and personal, but unless the game is preying on it like gachas do it's our own problem, not the game's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Snake Maze posted:

Isn’t this literally the exact same logic that pushes people to try to 100% X2 on their first playthrough?

Probably! I blame the Tales series for that, it took until Zestiria/Berseria to stop having hidden sidequests where you had to do them with no warning between X plot points or they became unfinishable. Yes I'm looking at you Symphonia and Abyss.

Admitedly if I can find a guide that just has "hey, here, here and here are the things that become missable, everything else is fine to do whenever" it completely erases that fear and I can enjoy the first playthrough fine and just go back finish eveything else later.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Colonel posted:

this was much much before zestiria. graces f still had missable sidequests but it gave much clearer indication of their existence and xillia had a full comprehensive sidequest tracker.

True, my fault, it's been long since I played Graces and Xillia while the other games were burned into my memory, and I kinda thought Xillia did have a few missables in it. Berseria is notable that the only true missables are skits, even Zestiria has like 2 sub-quests that you can miss out, although it's just attachments that you miss.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

As I said I only find it a problem in like, 70-100 hour RPGs specifically, I gotta like a RPG a real lot to replay such a long playthrough.

It could also be that I'm old, kid-me had over 1000 hours on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the GBA, a game you can easily 100% in 2 playthroughs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cheetah7071 posted:

The worst part about FFX-2 percentage system is that if you skipped a cutscene you didn't get its points

They should have made it so you lose points for skipping any dialog, not just Maechen's.

Edit: It's even better because FFX-2 was the first FF with cutscene skip.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FirstAidKite posted:

It's almost like this is a thing, that happens, that isn't so easy to just "turn off" or "change" for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, it's hard, but it's pretty much the best solution to that. Constantly worrying about things like that just burns out your brain, and you have to reign in your brain if it's the problem solving type. Source: someone with massive anxiety issues RN.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RareAcumen posted:

I never managed to get all the collectors cards even though I stopped playing the game at like level 87 or something by the time I stopped looping it.

Oh, the game cheats on that one, I'm sure some are exclusive to the random pack at the shop since the first 2 of every card combo are consumable. Otherwise going through every split gives you the non consumable ones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On one hand, being interested in a game just for the gay feels superficial.

On the other hand let me date the hot guys please.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 22, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Dragalia AI thing is funny to me because on one hand the AI will happily reveal how to dodge the most complex attacks but on the other hand it can't play any minimally complex character at all and will happily eat non marked basic attacks that would kill them if not for their damage reduction.

The devs released a healer who could transform into a SMT Angel to do damage and status but as an AI wouldn't, they released a fix but it turns out oops, now the healer won't heal because they can stay transformed almost permanently so they reverted it back, it was hilarious.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think Tyranny was going for that at least

Not really, you pretty much choose your faction at the end of the first Act and then you have the option to betray them and go to the solo route almost any time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's also the problem that there's an established Pokemon Cycle where they release a new gen every X years with all kinds of merch, a new anime season, new TCG sets, movies, etc. TPC refuses to slow it down for more than a year so the games have to also be done with no delays, Sword and Shield reek of cut content to reach a Holiday release. Add to that that despite being a millions-making franchise the development team of Pokemon is AA at best and you get what we've been getting for quite a while.

(Also being honest, Gamefreak aren't exactly the best devs around. Their non-Pokemon games have been kinda eh for the most part and even in the Pokemon games there's examples of baffling programming decisions)

Edit: drat sniped by a second

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

They did update the cries on Gen 6!

For Gen 1 Pokemon only, and just to diferentiate the ones who used the same cry at different pitches. And probably only because they gave Pikachu his anime cry.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the core of Pokemon has been the same for 30 years. At most the latest games are easier because of more accesibility and maybe some overpowered features, but claiming that Blue was better and funner is just nostalgia or personal preference talking.

ImpAtom posted:

Lol at the idea that Pokemon Blue was a good game instead of a terribly designed one that hit at the right time and with the right marketing blitz.

Blue was a barely functional mess of code where huge chunks of the game didn't work right and they accidentally forgot to give Psychics a counter.

To be fair, which pre-2000s RPG wasn't a bug ridden mess? :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, Pokemon Blue was fun AND broken as hell. And honestly broken fun too, poo poo like "yeah i can turn my save into a virus that infects other games when linking but all it does is make Mew appear under the truck" is mindblowing even if it wasn't GF's doing.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Early FFs have some glitches that change how the game was intended to play by quite a bit.

Critical chance for weapons in the OG FFI was initially a bug that they then just continued using. Instead of using the weapon's actual value for the rate, it loads the weapon's index number. So critical hits become more and more likely as you go down the list. Some weapons (like Thor's Hammer and Masamune) end up with considerably better critical chances than they were intended to have.

FFII, prior to the Dawn of Souls version, has the Target-Cancel bug. For any character but the one in the last slot, you can select Attack or Magic actions, and then cancel. The game will still register it as a use of that weapon type, or that particular spell, for increasing their associated levels. This can be done pretty much for as long as you can deal with pressing confirm and cancel over and over and over.

FFIII's requires....a lot of grinding, but the item upgrade glitch (collecting an item in battle that you have 99 of already changes other items into things based on the equipment index) can get you a full set of Onion equipment (rare drop end game stuff) at the very start of the game.

And VI has the infamous Sketch glitch which can cause anything to happen. No joke. Games before online patching tended to be filled with major bugs, and at most got updated cartdriges/didks for egregious ones.

loquacius posted:

Hey, the Gastly line has good moves! They're just all Psychic-type lol

It's hilarious how despite having everything against it Gengar is still considered a top tier threat in the Gen 1 metagame filled with Psychics and Earthquakes. It's probably the Normal inmunity, that is huge in that enviroment.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Leraika posted:

You can also kill the final boss in FFMQ with Cure.

And who can forget you can kill the final boss, God, on FFL with a chainsaw :black101:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Srice posted:

Considering it's Kawazu I've half a mind to think it was on purpose.

Jazerus posted:

this is the same game where you can nuke god so yeah

Eh, if it were only God then yeah, but the bug is that Saw instakills targets with defense greater than the user's attack when it should probably be the inverse. Sounds like a wrong operator to me.

What was intentional was the bug that made Ultima suck in FF2 and ignore your magic levels for the formula when it was meant to use them. When they found it one of the programmers went "Well, it's an old magic, before they had proper techniques, obviously it's going to suck compared to modern spells!" and then encrypted the code so nobody could fix it :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Colonel posted:

otoh even in the wonderswan color remake that did a fair amount of rebalancing and bug fixing that chainsaw bug is still there in saga 1

Oh, that version is 100% intentional, the FFXIII Ultimania even mentions they made their final boss weak to Death as a reference to that. It's just that they ascended the bug into a feature, like critical rate on weapons in FF1 which was kept on every rerelease (and it was 100% a bug cause weapons had their own crit rate, the game just grabbed the wrong pointer and used their ID instead)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm praying for Cyber Sleuth 2 announcement instead.

Man, I kinda want to buy the pack to try out Hacker's Memory since I loved the original on the Vita but I have a feeling I'd be compelled to play the original again...

Edit: Doubly since while I loved the game the endgame was pure BS that required UlforceVeedramon and Lilithmon for everything.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only Bioware IMO with good choices is DA Origins imo. Kinda weird that it's the only one without any sort of Good/Evil karma meter or dumb Personality bars.

(Inquisition doesn't count cause the MC doesn't even have a personality to make choices with).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The cool part of Abyss is that they actually developed a ton of lore for it, and one of those bits is that their years las 765 days instead of 365. So assuming 24 hour days and that due to magic or smth they age slower, you have to double everyone's age to get their real age.

Suddenly the 14 year old Pope bodyguard is 28 which makes way more sense, the guy making japes about being an old man is 72, and Luke acts like a moody 14 year old teenager when people expect him to act like an actual adult.

...obviously that was probably not the intention but I prefer it that way since for once it's a JRPG where people have realistic ages.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

For what I could tell from what I played XB2 is just more direct and early on its animeness, the whole Poppi introduction being the biggest thing I remember. Also the beggining of XB2 is overall more whacky anime than XB1's dramatic anime.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The FFL2 remake is cool cause they added a system that lets you by doing chain combos define your party's relationship dynamics which unlocks sidequests and changes some of the dialog. You can have your personalized love triangle in this game between the robot hero, the esper and the slime who will turn into undead.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

As someone who loved the original Golden Sun games and still thinks they're good entry JRPGs (and have better dungeon design than modern RPGs) Dark Dawn did feel like a downgrade. The plot is basically multiple unrelated ones that are forgotten on every arc (besides the "joke" at the end about oops we forgot about the original plot), it's even easier than the originals thanks to buffing weapon unleashes and loads of offscreen details they refuse to show even compared to the original (the city turned empire that is causing tension that leads to the game events, any continents that are not Eurasia, themain villains being from a hitherunknown country whe don't even know where it's located).

It had its good things, Sveta is the best party member in the series, cool graphics and Opera Chandelier Dragon from the original game ads, but at this point if I get a new one it would be to personally check if they're gonna give closure to everything.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Do the Digimon Cyber Story games count? Like, they're not amazing 10/10 but they're good.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

At least English has they as a natural sounding option, in Spanish the closest we have is "elle" which not only is it not generalized but also means double L (as in all).

Still better than "ello" which is equivalent to it and I'm pretty sure it would be much worse.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I wonder how many people thought Summons in KH1 & 2 were bad when they're actually the most broken things in the series.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Electric Phantasm posted:

On the other hand they did let Jack Sparrow kill an Organization XIII guy with his bad breath.

Because Pirates is kinda treated like off hand.

The clear point is any main disney animated movies like Frozen will be forever cursed to be retellings of the movies but Donald Duck is there.

Honestly I want Nomura to try and go wild with properties in 4. Since the basis is unreality it would be cool to get worlds based on cancelled stuff, like Kingdom of The Sun.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Frozen world was barely even that lol

Like Disney was being extra protective

Oh true, it was "Let it Go but Sora was there" and the you miss 90% of the movie.

Elsa should have frozen Larxene and Rapuzel should have frying panned Marluxia. Let more Disney characters dunk on Anime OCs is what I'm saying.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NikkolasKing posted:

Among the more hardcore fans it feels like Roxas' game is pretty beloved for being genuinely emotional and sad or something.

And Birth by Sleep has Leonard Nimoy as the villain so clearly it's the best.

The joke is 358/2 Days is mostly bad with loads of filler and meh gameplay but the final boss is the most emotive of the series with a top 10 Shimomura theme (besides "Who else will I have ice cream with!?"). That and multiplayer letting you play as Donald and Goofy.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I hate my broke brain that's making me finish 1 and 2 before XB3 to get every reference, because at the rate I'm getting sidetracked I'll reach 3 in 2023.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Levantine posted:

You're in for quite the journey! XB games are long as hell if you're a completionist and I think XB3 is probably as long as the first two put together. I'm at about 150 hours and I think approaching the endgame. Still tons of side stuff left to do.

Thankfully I'm not going for full 100% completition. It's just, I need to get exp to not get blocked in the main story and also almost all this area's quests are missable so I should do them and aaagh I just wanna get the plot but my brain likes clearing them exclamation points.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bringing back the Disgaea chat, my friend who absolutely loves the series jus found out about 7 and is excited about it, but he was also confused since Nippon Ichi was doing badly? Did Disgaea 6 sell well or the mobile gacha turn into profit?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Good for my friend then, he absolutely loves Disgaea and played all games but 6 cause he hasn't found the time yet.

Gotta get him away from the gacha one, I don't want a repeat of Dragalia Lost.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

tierkreis isnt the worst thing ever but after a bunch of games that all took place in the same continuity the 'this is ENTIRELY unrelated' thing was annoying. they could have just said it was on some far off island way before the plots of the other games and tossed in viki and jeanne, or something, it would have been basically the same thing.

They wouldn't even have to change anything to connect it to the main series, the entire premise of the game is there are multiple worlds each with their own Stars of Destiny (early on you meet a parallel version of your starting female companion who is the Tenkai Star in her world instead of Ten'ei) so they could have included any cameos that way.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, I'm playing 1 and I feel like the game finally said all it had to say about combat, except the tutorial for the final party member I'm about to recruit.

Granted it took me like 50% of the game, that's the Xeno way.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd argue that the risk in this case is the games turning out bad, but not that they'll never see the light of day barring tremendous development problems. The latter which has 0 difference with preorders.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

atholbrose posted:

The trailer on the store page shows a battle, complete with red attack range markers on the grid, so... maybe not.

Yeah, it's the original, the port with the changed battle system is waaay different, with a lateral view instead of an isometric one.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

and thus began a long, financially successful odyssey to discover which other great historical figures had secretly been anime babes all this time

Current count by FGO is 22.(King Arthur, Emperor Nero, Attila the Hun, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Jing Ke, Francis Drake, Okita Souji, Oda Nobunaga, Mordred, Frankenstein's Monster, Shuten-douji, Tripitaka, Minamoto no Yorimitsu, Ibaraki-douji, Paul Bunyan, Katou Danzou, Gareth, Katsuhisa Hokusai, Uesugi Kenshin, Ibuki-doujo, Vritra and Xu Fu).

Honorable mentions/weird cases include Da Vinci (she's trans), Miyamoto Musashi (AU version), Nezha (was turned from male into female instory), Caeneus/Caenis (trans male but the game keeps treating him like a waifu), Van Gogh (fused to a Greek nymph), Kiichi Hougen/Kurama Tengu (shapeshifter), Ranmaru (they ate all the other Ranmarus), Dobrynya Nikitch (she's his wife), Hephaestion (she's his sister), Daikokuten (they're his mice), Sancho Panza (she's every side character in Don Quixote. And also the cruel reality apparently) and every male god using a girl as a host.

Fate likes its genderbends weird.

Edit: v gently caress how did I forget about Gareth

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know much about Fate stuff but on the topic of babe-ifying their historical figures, I seem to recall its depiction of Alexander is bizarre in that it takes a real life prettyboy and turns him into a very masculine figure.

They actually triple justify that:

a)He used to be bishonen, but due to Zeus' blood (while just a claim of his it's enough to be included on his legend) he grows swole. FGO has the younger version although he's younger than prettyboyish.

b)The aforementioned Hephaestion's sister was his magical body double and that's why he's still recorded as pretty (she also has the heterochromia)

c)IRL we know that Darius III's throne was too big for Alexander... in Fate it still is because Darius III is over 3m tall.

Obviously Fate generally just makes the design rhe artist and writers think it's cool and then tries to justify it, but a lot of times it's on real mythological/historical basis.