Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Zereth posted:

Hm. I just got time to play the FF16 demo and it didn't quite grab me, but it also cut off before the game stops having you stuck on rails, I don't think I made any actual choice about where to go the entire time except walking out of my way to pick up a potion.

Without going into spoilers, how is the main game in comparison to the demo?

game is more on rails than FF13, which to me was never a bad thing, as long as they make use of the restriction to better craft the narrative/story they're trying to tell.
I think FF16 is landing it for me so far, just have to enter it with the right mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

started playing Octopath Traveler II.

It is very comfty.
Just has a really nice atmosphere and engaging enough battle system.

Does order matter? I started off with Throne

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 7, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Strikers is a spin-off in combat style, but it is a direct sequel to the story of P5.
Tactics is an outright so far off spin-off, just treat it as a fanfic spin-off territory.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Is there stuff in P5R that would invalidate the stuff in Strikers?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

memories of looking over my Prima Strategy guide and trying to chart my breeding trees in the very first Dragon Quest Monsters as a kid

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

how important is Reputation in Octopath Traveler II.
i love pickpocketing npcs, but afraid to lower my reputation, I see I can pay to restore after arriving at my first new town (also recruited a priest)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i didn't steal the bread from the kid in the slum that was excited she managed to find some bread that wasn't molded.
i'm one of the good theives!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

man the freedom to just go off the beaten path and just grab other party members in Octopath is sweet.
it has everything I wanted that was missing from FF16. A party system, inventory management, stats that matter, levels mattering, actual str/weak of elemental and weapon properties instead of everything doing the same damage type, buff/debuffs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

They need more spin-offs of jrpgs that are srpg format.
Preferably Super Robot Wars based systems with spirit skills and such

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what does guiding or leading around townspeople actually do in Octopath II.
Tried to bring a mom to a kid who said he was waiting of his mom, but that didn't do anything

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Been messing around with a few, but what are some of the best non-Pokémon DS RPGs? Any non obvious favorites?

Radiant Historia can hit in the right spots for some people
Super Robot Wars: OG is a gem. Its all original characters in it, so no need to know anime series like the other ones where its all a bunch of actual series meshed together like a Smash Bros. game. And just straight up JRPG SRPG goodness.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

continuing on to other systems, what are the top list of Switch exclusive jrpgs.

Played SMT4, Xenoblades, The Trails to Azure/Zero ports, Octopath II already, Astral Chain, FEs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

drat, the boss fights in Octopath are certainly challenging.
even on chapter 1 reflections, its like oh err i actually have to use some healing items here.

Still not sure what I'm suppose to do when they start charging their special move, I guess have to break them in time.
Unfortunate that I guess your party members are helping you in battle, but the actual story cutscenes for each character, you're just alone.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 11, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i could not get into that one. got it last year black friday when it was on sale.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i was lukewarm in the first few hours of soul hackers 2, then found out how much pointless hours (that doesn't even have baring on the story) you need to grind out to get the true ending and just nope'd out.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love using Hikari in Octopath II.
as much fun as I had trying to pretend to be pokemon with beastgirl, thematically, I think Hikari's story meshes better with Throne, Temenos and Osvald.

I felt it was a bit weak that in the story chapters, its just the actual character present, but came across by first dual side-chapter with Throne and Temenos, so that's neat.

Complaint right now it seems I can't just keep a library of learned skills for Hikari, I just have to constantly erase and replace on what looks fun. Different from beast girl, at least I get food for throwing away monsters

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 12, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Einander posted:

Currently playing through Octopath Traveler 2, just about to start the second round of chapters after picking up everyone and reaching all the second-ring towns. I also got a ship, explored all the islands, and killed a shark. I'm about level 35 and that shark gave me a +386 attack sword that, because of an accessory that flips negative stats on equipment, also gives +101 defense. Between the free 230 attack axe on the sea, a 200 attack axe that I bought, and that sword, my core party of Castti, Ochette and Hikari is probably going to steamroll over things for a while. Good times.

Inventor's "everyone acts during the surprise turn" passive is very funny. I appreciate that they give it to everyone for free. (Which also means that it's available during the chapter 1 segments.) Agnea's EX turning that free round into two free rounds is great for going places you're not supposed to yet, which is 100% what the Octopath games are about for me.

Castti was a fun choice of main character, but it's going to get weird going back to the story segments where she is presumably a mild-mannered apothecary after twenty hours of WITH THESE HANDS followed by her cleaving the entire enemy party in twain with her axe. Very different vibes there.

different from me.
I got my 4-5 members, threw the cat into the bench, and kind of actively avoiding the other 4 while only concentrating on my mains. I probably do their lv1s once i'm on chapter 3-4s. I haven't even recruited everyone yet.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

some watching netflix in 3x speed energy going on here...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

After 2, go jump on Trails to Zero/Azure, then CSIII & IV

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Draga posted:

That was the plan I had, so no worries there.

I know the Crossbell games take place concurrently with CS I and II and you hear about some of the events taking place, so I want to get the other side of the story before I get to CSIII.

Yea I think it’s a good way to not burn out on CS stuff as well and Trails is a nice style change

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I beat Earthbound and Super Metroid for the first time when I got the SNES classic

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

One popular jrpg series I always heard of but never could get into was the Breathe of Fire series

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I was never that hardcore into the fighting system in Tales games, just the basic stuff.
But Berseria was the most "just spam attack button" game ever in Tales for me.

Great story and characters though. Enjoyed the cast dynamics a lot. Love Velvet, and wish we had more main character Tales characters that are just downright angry.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

does anyone actually use the 'Optimize' equipment option in Jrpgs?
Its like the hoarding potions habit troupe of players, though I gotten past that and I just spam my consumables any chance I get nowadays.

But optimize equipment? f-that, i don't trust it! I only trust in myself and my menu flipping.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Just recruited Agnea in Octopath II, she is adorable and such a sweetheart.
Compared to all the other brooding and revenged filled characters, she's so refreshing. There's no room for her on my main squad though since she kind of overlaps too much with my starting character Throne, but I get to her eventually. Right now my B-squad is Agnea, Catgirl, and the cowboy and potion girl is still at lv1

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ok, gonna see what this story with Throne leads to in Octo Traveler II
did like ch3 on both ends
thought "Father" was actually the father from the flashbacks, but he says the girl he fell in love and confessed to with eachother with ended up leaving? He sure went crazy during the boss fight and just started ranting hard. Starting to have way more JP than I know what to do with.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Temeno's chapter 3
Crick...nooooo!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

mad respect to the game companies that can keep their world going for decades

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i'm surprised Octopath Traveler II was this year considering that sale prices for it has been coming and going for it months ago.

the mainstream awards will probably be given to FF16 even though its barely counts as a jrpg. maybe best cinematics, but that's it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

trying to look for black friday deals

i see Star Ocean Divine Force on some listings, might give that a try

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

$20

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Draga posted:

Trails of Cold Steel II is done and dusted. Absolutely amazing game but that final boss was a bastard. "Oh, my health is down to 100K? Imma take 4 turns in a row to instakill your party. Suck it"

Thank god for Laura, Breaker of Worlds, Slayer of Gods.

And after binging the first two Cold Steel games in just over 2 weeks, I think I'll give Erebonia a rest.

Which is why I'm looking at the Trails from Zero menu right now.

Zero bought a tear to my eye once or twice

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Because FF16 has like zero jrpg elements.
No party members, gear doesn’t matter, money doesn’t matter, the crafting system is pointless, items are pointless, no resource management of any kind, level doesn’t really matter, damage doesn’t matter (doesn’t matter if a thing is hit with fire or lightning it’s all the same damage), combo system doesn’t matter cause things you can juggle die in 2-3 hits, bosses you can’t juggle.

The story is fine and enjoyed it, but it’s not an rpg

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Apparently the DLC for Persona 5 Tactica lets you use the royal characters but only in their side DLC maps and New Game+.

Striker characters and maybe I bite

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Who would have imagined.
FF13 > 16 > 15 would be how things turned out

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FF13-2 was top tier.
Lightning Returns was fun, if only for the poster girl of the installment to actually matter for once finally

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Octopath II
Osvald ch4

ddaaammmnn...Harvey. Ice COLD!
the wife, and stealing his daughter lol.
I can't wait to kill you.
Even if its just sprites, shows how much you can achieve just from the simple gestures and if the story is good enough. The later chapters for the characters have all been bangers.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hit the button on the gaming deals I been eyeing online.

Picked up:

Star Ocean: Divine Force $20
FF7: Crisis Core Reunion PS5 (never played the original) ($24)
Mario+Rabbits: Sparks of Hope ($14) (I hear same guys behind it as Persona Tactica? be nice to try it as a preview what to expect)
Mario Odyssey ($40)

Ones I was considering but decided didn't have time for:
Hogwarts (never read the books anyway so not that invested in the world, despite the reviews that its one of the better western open world games out there) $40, maybe when it gets into the $20 bin

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 23, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Hikari ch4
jeez, Hikari...are you sure you ever actually had friends. They sure don't want to help you any.

Hikari's route seems one of the more outliners. Like the stuff happening is more open in the world. Like actual towns getting razed.
Every one elses's so far are all happening in the shadows and behind curtains. So the world is none the wiser at to what is going on. In other rpgs, the npcs would be commenting on it.

I do like it though. Its one of favorite ones.

My route rankings so far.

Temenos
Hikari
Throne
Osvald

Merchant guy
Dancer
Drugs
Catgirl

granted, team B are all still at ch2s so, I actually do have to actually get to the meat of their stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think the Follower mechanic in Octopath Traveler II is the one I don't use at all. And its like the talent of like half the cast. Not sure if there's some OP hidden skill hiding somewhere I can't easily replicate, always forget I have it if I do have a follower, and limited uses makes it annoying to go back and refollower them if I care.