Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I loving loved Wild Arms 5 up until the end when I wasn't high enough level to beat a boss. This is not a game that is good for grinding in, so I just stopped.

The story is so cliche that it actually stole its three main characters straight out of Skies of Arcadia, but it's as sincere in its bright eyed love of adventure as that game was and that is a drat good thing. It also some pretty good puzzle dungeons, as is series standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ha, he's right about the OP. I can't help but laugh at the "This space saved" post with no updates ever.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Man, and here everyone was trying to leave the 2/5 connections a secret for the guy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

If you're interested in the US version at all, you have to read this article, particularly pages 2 and 3. Squaresoft's translation practices in the 90s sound nightmarish and in retrospect I almost don't understand how they achieved what they did. :psyduck: They had it all sorted out by FFIX, though, which explains why the English version of that game was so, so good.

Well, except half the references to older games were obscured by the translators clearly not getting them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

niggapolis posted:

oh yeah I forgot to mention that, unfortunately the game is not very long. I cloked at 18 hours playing on hard.

That's a perfectly good length, especially for a low price. People just don't have 80 hours to spend on every game anymore. Besides, Suikoden 1 and 2 were similar lengths and are considered classics.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Exactly. And if you want to use someone weird and silly, you can do that too! Welcome aboard, Starky!

I think Chrono Cross is pretty good, but not great. There's a lot of stuff that makes it seem like they cheaped out, such as Nikki's extremely lacklustre concert.

Everyone talking about how it was reviled at the time of its launch must be living in another universe though, the hype was incredible and the praise universal. Noted (at the time) RPG guy Andrew Vestal gave it a 10 out of 10!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Conduit for Sale! posted:

RIP GIA

Better days.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

Interestingly enough, the same thing with review inflation of Square games happened in Japan too during the PS1 era. Heinous pieces of poo poo too terrible to even think of bringing overseas like Cyber Org and Another Mind still did pretty well in the reviews.

Holy poo poo, Cyber Org looks awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s7rpsl5Ik

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Yeah but in this case, from everything I've heard, we're not really missing out.

Where are you hearing this? I've never heard of Pandora, but Last Story got great reviews.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There are the awful Ultima ports for SNES!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PSP is incredible for JRPGS.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

Don't be a whiny baby and play Skyrim. I am not exaggerating when I say it is one of the best games ever made.

Says the guy with the loving Morrowind avatar

Wendell
May 11, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

I think morrowind is a terrible game that has aged really really poorly and someone bought this for me for that reason.

Oh. Well then that actually adds to the strength of your position. Keep up the good work!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TheOriginalEd posted:

I still have the sinking feeling that the whole thing will blow up anyway. NOA wont promote it, everyone who cares will have already imported it and the title wont sell in the US. NOA will say "I told you so" etc and so forth and everyone will lose...

Yeah, I don't see anything else happening here. Releasing it in April is so loving far away that the fervor for it will be long dead too. A beautiful self fulfilling prophecy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Now that Tecmo owns Gust could the time be right for the sequel fans have been demanding far more than even Chrono Trigger 2, Tecmo Secret of the Stars 2?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone played Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP? It's a pretty old game and was surprised to see it hasn't had a price cut. Not sure if it's worth it since crappy small time reviews seem to be extremely polarized between good and awful. I do like good sprite work though.

I asked this before in the thread and was told it's as mediocre as reviews suggest. Atlus really pisses me off with their refusal to lower their ridiculous prices so I was happy to buy it used. Anyway, it's as mediocre as the thread told me it was! Enemies have too many HP so battles take too long, dungeons might as well be randomly generated because they're just the same room over and over, towns are haphazardly designed, dialogue and story are uninteresting.

There's a good amount of skills to learn in battle and Spinel's voice actress is very good (her character design is...so bad). If all you're looking for is a generic RPG because sometimes they make you happy then pick it up! Used though. Don't give Atlus that much money for this.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

canada jezus posted:

Is there something similar to knights of the chalice? I like it but i wish i could cheat? Or can you cheat in it?

I think the nearest thing might be icewind dale 2, god knows the nwns don't hold up. Anything else similar? i've played pretty much everything well known i think, toee etc. Not pools of radience ruins of myth drannor though, that any good?

Get yourself some of Spiderweb Software's games. Avadon: The Black Fortress is quite good. All the games have large demos, too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Growlanser 2 was really fantastic and made great use of its low budget. 3 tried to get fancier and only ended up feeling cheaper. I hope this one's good!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So how many people are playing (or have even heard of) The Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragon's Odyssey? I am drawn to it by nostalgia for all the terrible Japan-only games I wanted to play back in 1997, since it looks exactly like a game from that era but was actually released a few months ago.

Also, that title is amazingly bad. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-LACFDO/the-lost-angelic-chronicles-of-frane-dragons-odyssey

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vandal Hearts is very good, and since we're listing games he should try without him having actually asked us to: play Shining Force, guy!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mune posted:

So, I feel like I'm going to get destroyed for this, but I love, love, love the battles systems of the Star Ocean and Tales series. Unfortunately, I absolutely cannot stand the plot of most JRPGS. Is there something out there that has a similar fast paced ARPG feeling to it (preferably with challenging battles), hopefully with an event skip feature?

I'm basically looking for a DMC game that has numbers pop out over people's heads when you hit them. It's my dream game.

Have you tried the Kingdoms of Amalur demo?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Woah what the gently caress have all the tales games been like this? That looked like goddamn Marvel vs. Capcom, I might have to take another look at that series.

Prepare for dissapointment if that's the impression you got.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yes, other people can see the screens and he's right, it is stylistically similar to an NES game in the same way Final Fantasy IV was and in no way takes advantage of the power the SNES is capable of. To say it is pretty by SNES standards when stuff like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger exists is much more of a stretch.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

bsnes has the advantage of being completely hardware-accurate though. Here, just look at the comparasion shots: http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

If your hardware's good enough, bsnes is the way to go for replicating the original hardware experience.

This page reminded me, everyone play Der Langrisser right now. It's amazing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think Arc the Lad 1 is the most skippable strategy RPG of all. Talk about bland everything, and utterly lifeless unchallenging fights.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, Dragon Quest has been doing that since 1986. Get with it, other RPG makers.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It was either on Twitter or on the Sony blog, but a few months back an XSeed employee responded to someone's question about future Trails games by saying they were indeed looking into Steam.

Whatever it ends up being I think it's a great idea. I really want some good JRPG type stuff on my PC.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Ugh. Looks like most of my party is going to be dudes again.

I like the artist's style, he's quite skilled. I just wish someone in charge would say "Hey, draw some adults you loving creep."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Battle system in Eternal Sonata owns though, one of tri-*'s finest.

Absolutely not. It's the same fight repeated over and over. Every area has one or two monster party setups that require one of two strategies "run forward and hit attack until you can't anymore" or "run forward and slightly up because the monster isn't in a straight line from you, then hit attack until you can't anymore."

Of course repetitiveness in an RPG battle system is not new, but this game really drags it out.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 24, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why would you immediately assume there's no development in a beloved character known for things you yourself just pointed out you have yet to see?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Hyperdimension Neptunia is an incredibly lovely game. Anyone who tries to defend it you can write off their opinion because anybody who tries to defend that poo poo is a moron.

I like your style.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Also drat, am I gonna have to get Risen? Is there a magic equivalent to those +1 strength apples Zereth is talking about? Can you third person it, or is it full-on FPRPG?

Risen isn't first person. At least it better not be, because I've been planning to buy it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Alundra has no business on that list either, it was excellent and was popular with both critics and gamers. The second one was abysmal though

Wow, someone put one of the best action RPGs of all time on a "Bad RPGs" list? It has two flaws: load times, and (for some) difficulty.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Enjoying FFXII-2 is okay, but comparing it to Chrono Trigger just comes across as desperate fanboy apologism.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's a really dissapointingly brown game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

RPG Thread! Were you aware that two days ago a full English translation for the SNES RPG Burning Heroes by Enix was released? I was not. The patch, and some info on the game, can be found here: http://www.dynamic-designs.us/burningheroes.shtml

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I am always happy when an old RPG finally gets a translation.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't even know that FFIV PSP came with yet another extra scenario (Interlude). Can any expound on what that was like? Might be time to buy FFIV yet again...

It's like an hour long and utterly pointless.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, on the other hand, seems like a smoother, less grind-intensive version of FFT, although the storyline seems like another 'kingdoms at war!' rehash, which I have a difficult time caring about unless there's some interesting characters to empathize with, and at about 4 hours into it, there aren't. Can anyone say whether this is worth pushing through an interminable amount of set-up levels for?

Here's a nice quote from the Gaming Intelligence Agency's review of it, "Hardcore strategy fans with a lot of patience and a high tolerance for pain might be able to salvage a playable game, but Hoshigami's sadistic gameplay isn't likely to be many people's idea of a good time." I hope that helps you decide (to stop playing.)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Typhus733 posted:

loving a' I've been wanting to play that forever but just couldn't justify the price. As a huge Wizardry fan would you all recommend this, especially at the new price point?

I'd recommend just waiting for the improved sequel that's coming and playing Grimrock in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

casual poster posted:

I never finished it, but Luminous Arc 2 was pretty drat good. My memories a little hazy on the matter, but I don't remember there being a lot of anime tropes in it (which I cannot stand). Give it a shot.

This cannot be a serious post.