Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Oh RPG thread, what perfect timing you have. Been on a binge lately. Currently am working my way through Planescape Torment, and Arcanum is queued up after that. I've also nabbed Nehrim, The Spirit Engine 2, and Barkley:SUAJ

I'm kinda in the mood for heavy story/light grinding style RPGs. I have access to retro systems up to ps2/gamecube (via emulation) the PC, a DS & PSP. Any ideas of what I should be looking at next? (I'm also a bit of a gfx whore)

VVV Chrono is probably my all time favourite old school RPG. I've honestly have yet to beat it, but I keep playing it over and over, and something always happens just before or when I get to the final hour (lose a save, someone starts over my game, upgrade the psp and it breaks saves etc etc) I have it on the DS now tho! I'm going to replay it yet again at some point =E (And to think that once I beat it, there's still several other endings to explore). This game sorely needs a sequel. (Chrono Cross never existed)

Bats fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Pick a PS1 JRPG, any PS1 JRPG. FFIX for example, I don't ever recall having to grind.

Yeah I totally need to go back and actually beat FFIX. FFVIII can go gently caress itself, and well FFVII was my first rpg/favourite ps1 rpg ever ever etc. Also loved the poo poo out of Brave Fencer Musashiden.

Any other recommends on that system? Stuff I may have missed that were not worth missing?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

TheOriginalEd posted:

I know you said PS1 but the ps2 remake of Bravefencer (yeah its not really a sequel) was worth it. Sure it's anime cranked to 11 but it got the feel of the original brave fencer down pretty well I felt. I mean the original one was a campy mess itself so if you can appreciate that one you can probably take the ps2 one.

Give Wild Arms a try if you haven't. Fantastic game that had the misfortune of coming out right around the same time as ff7 and being followed up by some very lackluster sequels.

Some love for SD3.. Personally I cant bring myself to REALLY like Sieken Densetsu 3 anymore. Its a fun pretty game but the endgame degenerates into cast buff, wait, cast buff wait, cast buff, wait, cast spell or special technique. then if at this point you havent insta killed everything on screen the enemy starts casting their own spells and locking down all the action. Ive had fights in the final areas that were no making GBS threads 5 minutes of spell casting where no one moved because EVERYTHING freezes while spell and special animations from characters and enemies alike play out. at that point its no longer intresting, just frustrating.

Yanno, I was always curious about the PS2 Brave Fencer game, never did get a chance to play it. Will see if I can track it down and then see how well the emulation works for that specific game.

Wild Arms I recall starting but never finishing for some odd reason, but I did like the world/charm of that game... Should give that one a whirl too I suppose.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

sexual rickshaw posted:

I'm in the mood for a new RPG and I've knocked my choices down to two: Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga and Fallout: New Vegas. Now, I know one's an Euro-RPG and the other is American and I know what I'm getting into for both, but does Divinity II's other areas stay fairly large or is the area that's featured in the demo the largest you'll find? And is the content in Flames of Vengeance comparable to the main campaign?

I did some reading up on FO:NV earlier today and it looks like it's a much bigger game than FO3, content-wise. Is this really the case? Is the game any harder than FO3 (with the exception of Hardcore mode)? Is the PC version glitcher than the PC version of 3?

Different styles of games really, you are in for a different type of treat with each. New Vegas you know what you are in for. Fallout 3 with a better story/dialogue/perks etc. You'll get hours out of this game. Divinity 2, you are in for a more action rpg game with some really nice looking areas, great dialog/writing, and lots of fun quests. Also you turn into a goddamn dragon and get a super fortress to be based out of. It's a lot of fun and a lot of content for the asking price. I like them both but I'm totally going to have to recommend Divinity 2 over NV. They are both great, but Divinity will give you a nice fresh fun feeling and some solid hours of gameplay.