Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Recently Wizardry-type RPGs have been the ones interesting me the most. I'm almost finished with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and I also just discovered Doom 2 RPG on my iphone. And of course, Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out if those two run out of stuff for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

The latest wizardry game (8? or 7?) got on my nerves so hardcore due to the constant random encounters

I was so happy to pull into town after the tutorial dungeon + stroll to a safe haven and what do i see? Gigantic groups of bandits and raiders roaming around as I go from place to place.

The game scales with level and repopulates monsters immediately so you cant even clear out a town and enjoy yourself, after dispatching the raiders you have to start slogging through androids and poo poo.
Well, I should have said that I am a pussy and have yet to play an ACTUAL Wizardry game, just games that are like that.

Back in the day Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Anvil of Dawn were my favorites.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

I mentioned it once already but nobody bit, has anyone played Atelier Rorona? I was considering starting a megathread for it but I really know nothing about the game.
I've played quite a bit of Atelier Totori, which is the sequel. I heard they aren't much different, just a few enhancements here and there. I'm actually selling my copy though because as fun as it is, I've got months worth of other RPGs that I am enjoying more, not to mention Fallout: New Vegas soon.

edit: I thought Doom 2 RPG was going to be a more or less straight turn-based implementation of Doom. Then I got a holy water pistol and the ability to throw toilets.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 3, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been out of PC RPGs for about seven years now, and am just getting back in. I'm busy witching right now, but what should I do after that? Gothic 3? Something else?

edit: among PC exclusives, I mean.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

^ :hf:

Recettear is pretty good if you like the Atelier games, Kings Bounty is a pretty awesome series of SRPGs, and then there's Torchlight and all the other Diabloesques. But last really big PC RPG I remember enjoying was Morrowind, everything since has kinda sucked (Oblivion, Fallout, Gothic).
Way ahead of you on Recettear, that rules. Which is the best Diablo clone right now (until 3 comes out of course)? Is it Torchlight?

edit: already played DAO on the PS3. I actually messed around a bit with Nehrim (I had a copy of Oblivion from way back when), but I was having technical problems with my new PC at the time and thought that it was the mod being unstable, so I erased it. I guess I should try it again now that those are fixed.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 4, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xythar posted:

Dragon or Alive: Xtreme Beach Swordplay
DOA and DAO crossover, hell yeah!

There seriously need to be more RPGs based on fighting games though, I always got a kick out of those. There was the Samurai Showdown RPG back on the PS1, and Namco X Capcom kinda counts (though that is seriously flawed in many ways). Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

casual poster posted:

holy gently caress does someone have a link or something that could help me in alteier rorona? I'm just not getting it for some reason.
If it works the same as Atelier Totori I might be able to answer a question.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing Atelier Totori some more, and it really does stand apart from other JRPGs. The biggest difference is that story stuff only happens in RESPONSE to your actions, the game doesn't give you very much guidance other than that you have three years to complete your adventurer's license, working one day at a time. I guess Resonance of Fate was like that to to some extent, but this has a much more conventional combat system.

Rorona (this game's direct prequel, taking place in the same world and with most of the same characters) comes out in the US soon, right?

edit: goddamn is it ever girly though. Looking at Rorona, it looks like they took a step even further in that direction with Totori. Even the big burly blacksmith guy is secretly obsessed with frilly dresses.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 5, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NeverRamza posted:

The main character Rorona is quite annoying too. Overly cute 14 year old girl who tries very hard yet is clumsy and accidentally says adorably goofy things at times? Here it is, once again.
Totori is even MORE cute, 14, clumsy and goofy. Rorona's in the game too and she is practically a mature adult by comparison.

Totori might be the current champion in this category.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 7, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kiggles posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that actually appreciates this archetype? I'm not suggesting it is wrong to. I'm just wondering if anyone does. If there is an audience for this fine, but I always thought people would play these games IN SPITE of the insipid characters not so much because of them.
I dunno. I don't, anyway. I keep skipping through her parts of the dialog because her voice drives me crazy, including also what she has to say usually. In fact, I do that for like half the characters in this game. The mechanics are good enough that I keep playing though.

Anyway to answer your question: Japan. Japan likes it. All of Japan.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hizke posted:

Atelier Rorona is pretty great. I love moe bullshit. Here's hoping to a Travis Touchdown smiley soon.
Thinking about this, :spergin: could be turned into a Travis smiley with not much change.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Atelier Totori has taught me that homunculi are...

1) totally ethical to create and use as slave labor (and sell, give as gifts, destroy, etc.)
2) can greatly increase the efficiency of your atelier
3) work for pie

This game gets more awesome the more I play it. Its pacing is unlike any JRPG I had played before. For instance, in the first 12 hours I have only had one kinda boss fight, and basically the game hasn't forced me to go to any specific place for any reason yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Contra Calculus posted:

And to think I was actually this close to getting The Witcher anyway. How is combat in The Witcher? I looked up a few videos and it looked pretty fun and engaging, but some people in this thread have complained about it.
It's way action-y, of course, but tough fights require planning in the form of what potions to chug down before you go at it. Potions are a HUGE part of the game. They offer absolutely massive stat bonuses, or other abilities like being able to see enemies through walls and stuff, but they fill your toxicity gauge, too high and you start seeing red flecks and stuff (which is also pretty awesome). I haven't seen what happens when you max it out though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah and over the shoulder mode is the ONLY way to do it. Don't even bother with the others. I wasted so much time with those first.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cryle posted:

I'm playing through the Witcher for the first time right now and it's pretty rewarding how potion use can be. Drinking a black blood potion before entering a fleder nest and having 4 of them stun you and take turns drinking your poison blood before dying was pretty :justasplanned:.

Edit: F2 crew.
Haha, is THAT what that potion does? From the description I thought you drank it and it killed you. I figured it had some kind of plot significance or something...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

What are some good sci-fi RPGs? I've been playing Mass Effect lately and love the gently caress out of it.

I'm sick to poo poo of elves and I hate anime. I also prefer PC or old games I can just emulate since my Xbox is, well, in a box.
Man, recently I can't think of anything other than Mass Effect 1 and 2, not from Japan either. KOTOR is kinda scifi....

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
"Sloppy" is definitely how I would describe Alpha Protocol. In the end it was too much so for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

Here is what I am looking for in an RPG. Please tell me if anything recent fits the bill.

I want a traditional turn-based game, with a realistic non-anime story. Is there anything in the world like this?
Honestly I laughed inside when I read "RPG" and "realistic" together. At least in my head, pretty much by definition RPGs present you with some ridiculous world full of craziness, whether it's fantasy or scifi or Japanese or Western or whatever.

edit: leaving aside the few oddballs like Alpha Protocol, which as we have established, is not a good game, nor is it turn-based like you want.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 12, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xythar posted:

One could argue that being turn-based is inherently not realistic, though I can see what he's asking for.
Yeah, I would very much argue that. Mechanics-wise and usually world-wise too, RPGs are their own thing, completely divorced from reality. Maybe they were originally created as a way to (clumsily) imitate real processes but I don't think they've had any illusions about that for a long time.

edit: much like most games. Pretty much only people who make Call of Duty and stuff are foolish enough to suggest their games are simulating a real experience. Now that flight sims are all but dead, anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 12, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Armor-Piercing posted:

Seconding Xenosaga, also Temple of Elemental Evil was just released on GOG.com. The most faithful rendition of 3e D&D rules, no random encounters, all turn-based and menu driven. I think the closest thing to a random encounter is monsters wandering by if you sleep in a dangerous area, which you never have to do.
I think I might give ToEE a try myself. I want to know though, does it have lots of diverse unique equipment hiding in dungeons, like Baldur's Gate? Dragon Age let me down in that department, as does the Witcher and hell...almost everything these days. Well-designed unique weapons have completely given way to either a crafting system, or randomized loot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I sure liked Grandia 3 too, but all I remember is the joyously awesome combat. Literally everything else is a blur.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I see that TOEE is one of the "get horribly murdered over and over again" type of RPG.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm off and on playing a very odd PS1 RPG on the Japanese PSN store. It's called "Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke!" which is something like "Climb over my corpse and go!"

As the title suggests, it is built entirely around death; You control a Heian-period family which has been cursed by a demon with abnormally short life: No one will live longer than about two years.

In that two years you have to build each new generation of people into a super deadly anti-demon RPG commando team by grinding like gently caress. Your people also can't breed like normal because of the curse, so instead you have sex with GODS.

Your individual people continually die like gnats (you'll lose three or four per hour of play time), but they can train their descendants and pass on their equipment and stuff. The game has no time limit, as long as you have some people alive.

The game has some great music, and a lot of really bizarre humor thrown in. The actual RPG gameplay is simple as hell, but I keep on pulling it out every once in a while. Also it has a weird cover that gives no indication of what it actually is:

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Over my dead body?
That would have a very different connotation, so no. This is the idea that one can become stronger by climbing on top of the bodies of those who came before them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Genpei Turtle posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person in the world who has heard of this game. I played the hell out of the original PS1 game back in the day. I liked the fact that the more powerful you got you could actually make your descendants into gods themselves. Also the ability to change the difficulty level on the fly was great. There actually is a time limit though, or rather a descendant limit. Once you hit 255 descendants the game automatically ends. You'd have to be nuts to breed that many though, after finishing the game on the hardest difficulty level I only had 40 generations or so racked up.

Some of the cutscenes are :nms: as gently caress in this game though.

And probably the best translation would be "Carry on after I am gone." I'd say. It's actually not that uncommon a phrase.

Edit: The cover of the game is actually a picture of the game director's son I believe. I read an interview with him somewhere and it more or less sounds like he got so high on becoming a dad that he basically made a game about it.
Haha, and I thought I was the only one too. You clearly know a lot more about it than me though, I haven't finished it once yet, on the second to the top difficulty/speed level.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A cutscene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GPaW7cyoM

edit: the events right before that, at the very beginning of the game when the two heads of the family get cursed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC_j7EYfT8

The moral of the story is clear: If you are chasing a demon and run into its castle, and you see an innocent looking girl all alone there instead, DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK ON THE GIRL.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Node posted:

Drakensang is really, really terrible and you should only play it if your tolerance for RPGs is tremendously high.
Oh, how so? Gameplay-wise or otherwise?