Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably don't get the hype they should because they're already in everyone's homes, but it's worth giving a shout out to the Dark Cloud series anyway.

They're the first games made by Level 5, so if you've ever played Rogue Galaxy you'll know what to expect. Zelda-style combat, giant randomized dungeons (including a bonus 99 floor dungeon at the end). But I like Dark Cloud more than any of Level 5's later games, because they throw a lot of different ideas at the wall.

As you clear each floor of the different dungeons you're slowly restoring a town back to order, and rebuilding it, and like SimCity you are placing the buildings down and laying out the city, after which they will provide you with their wares and chests and quests and NPCs, as well as future party members.

The games have some eccentric mechanics, like weapons that level up but can break if not maintained (and you lose it for good), dehydration, photography, inventing items, optional minigolf after clearing dungeon floors, special floors with draconian restrictions (ie cant cast spells, cant gain XP), and everyone's favorite, fishing.

And while I'm talking about kitchen sink games, I'll also mention Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I'm pretty sure all BOF fans hate this game, but it's pretty decent. The game has a time limit that speeds up whenever you cheat by using your Dragon powers, and encourages you to start over, keeping accumulated party XP and gaining new cutscenes. The battle system is kind of quirky but not in a bad way. It's grid based, and radius based, so there's a bit of a tactical flavor to it.

But whatever you guys do never play a Xenosaga game or you will pick up your PS2 and throw it out the window. Worst RPG I've ever played, possibly worst game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BACKLOG GAMING!!!! Some thoughts while playing Ni No Kuni. I'm at the sky pirate lair.

- I dislike games that make you wait for fast travel. At least in this game, it's only 15 hours in before you get it, and you do get a boat to travel around before then as well, but on principle, I wish I could fast travel to locations I've been to from the very start. That's more of a general issue I have with RPGs. I just can't stand overworld travel in general, in anything.

- I'm not sure if I should care about evolving my familiars. I've tried to do it maybe one per person at a time so that they stay out of battle and level up quickly, but I dunno that I really need 20 skill choices to choose from either. Shrug!!!

- This game is fuckin gorgeous and if we're being honest, I wish the Ghibli animation was up to par with the game visuals. Maybe it was just a low budget thing but the hand-drawn animation is not the level of quality I usually expect to see from that studio. Level 5 knocked it out of the park with the actual game's visuals though. The music is great too, although I wish there was more than one battle theme.

- I love that they have an unlockable jumping button and it's completely useless. I'm surprised they didn't have an unlockable roll as well. H'YAA!! HUT!! H'YAA!! HUP!!

- They go see a cat king, its like whatev, then they see a giant woman king, no big deal, oh an island that's also a woman that wants us to enter her stomach, sure sure. PIG PEOPLE???? WHWHWHWHWHW-WHAAAT!!! That sticks out to me for some reason.

- I wish there was a larger 1950s world because it looks so great. Have some rockabilly music, maybe a diner dungeon or something.

- Oliver lives in America but everyone has a british accent?????

Thanks for reading this long post. namaste

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And now Ni No Kuni is finished at around 35 hours. I probably could have finished it at 30 but I kept doing errands/bounties to get the money to keep buying MP-restoratives which are priced ridiculously in the game. I was underleveled at 48 but when you can actually keep your MP restored the game gets a lot less stressful. The final boss's final form and its helpers were pretty simple to take out with Evenstar.

The game is probably all too elevated by its visual style to overcome its shortcomings on the gameplay side but I still liked it all the way through. I think the only major problem I really had with the game was that AI doesn't seem to want to listen to you. I don't know how many times I triggered All-Out Defense before a boss's AOE and they decided to keep attacking and get shelled. FF12 perfected this poo poo with Gambits, I just want to program my teammates in every game now.

I wonder, if they had not done the canned animation for attacking and instead had you attack every time you hit the button, if this game would have felt too similar to Kingdom Hearts, especially with the HP/MP orb drops and the spells/summons that halt everything.

Also I kept expecting them to go the "it was all a dream/your imagination, Oliver!" route and I'm glad they didn't do that.

Next up: Playing SMT Nocturne for the first time :getin:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would rather the game played itself than mentally shout at my TV "WHY ARE YOU CASTING FIRAGA AT AN ENEMY WITH FIRE RESISTANCE AND YOUR HP IS 0005/4000"

Ni No Kuni had that. Plenty.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

They ran out of money and, instead of just shortening the game's plot, just gave it all to NPCs as endless dialog scenes interspersed with the worst, most boring dungeons in any jrpg ever.
Then Xenosaga came out and people thought "well maybe if it's presented with voice acting and 3D anime dolls it wont be so bad!!"

:negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF12 is just Star Wars but there's some kids running around with Han Solo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Started playing SMT Nocturne for the first time. Just reached Ginza. Not THRILLED with the camera controls although I guess Persona had similar camera issues in retrospect. So far it hasn't kicked my rear end too bad although I recruited a full party pretty quickly and have been opening as many chests as I can find. Is it too early to start fusing my surplus demonoids or should I get that ball rolling?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Torturous is how I would describe the second game in that garbage trilogy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Moms confirmed to be TOUGH
You're probably wondering if the dungeon design ever gets more elaborate than a straight line, well

Anyway enjoy the rich story

Gyshall posted:

It isn't about respect so much as Anime Is For Faggets and All Bad Games Are Anime, thus bad games = for faggets
This is a post on par with the quality of FF13

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

What is vanillas weapon even supposed to be, its like she waves a stick and rocks appear?
Yeah it looks like a stick with yo-yos attached to it, those fuckers probably hurt if they were slung at your head

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You also find weapons in floating orbs, I don't really think too hard about it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got to a scene in FF13 where they're saying "we can't find the intruders! code blue! code orange! wait which code color is it?? I don't know!!" and then the evil dictator stands up and says "CODE. WHITE" and everyones monocle flies off into space

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't do this to yourself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hubris.height posted:

being able to skip xs i and ii is a plus because what i remember of i is loving embarrassing and terrible and i tapped out on ii halfway through some ruined highway and said 'never again you assholes'

but everytime xs 3 comes up people talk about it being good and that makes me wonder if i missed something along the way
Why are you considering this

stop it

It's Xenosaga

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xenosaga 2 felt like it was 6 games long that's for sure

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I'm looking through the PSN Store at the moment and Ni No Kuni is currently on there for £3.99, which is weird, but good. I've read some mixed things about it though, what's good/bad about it and will I like it? THANKS
I'll tell you:

- Combat is inbetween turn-based and real time. You have the ability to move around on the battlefield to avoid direct hits, but you're still choosing attacks from a menu. You either battle as yourself (with lots of powerful magic) or you send one of your Pokemon-esque familiars in to fight for you, who each have their own abilities. No matter which Pokemiliar you send in, the HP/MP is based on your human's HP/MP, whereas STR/DEF/MDEF are based on the familiar's, so even though you can recruit a ton of familiars if you want to, you probably don't want to roll into battle with some really lovely familiars once you reach a high enough human level.

- it's really really beautiful although I wish there was more to the 1950s Americana town you occasionally visit instead of just one area

- Sidequests involve what are literally called Errands (at least they don't pretend otherwise) and monster bounties, each one you complete gives you points on your Subway Sandwich card and eventually you can hand in those cards to get perks like faster movement, per battle XP % increase, higher chance at rare item drops, and even a useless jump button. 90% of the errands are extremely quick and just involve giving a person the Emotion they're missing, which you'll usually have on you already because every town is full of people to get Emotions from.

- this is important for me, maybe it wont be for you, but you don't gain Fast Travel until 15 hours in. You do get access to a boat about 5-7 hours in, and then an 'airship' at the 10 hour mark, but Fast Travel is added way too late in the game imo. Save a lot of sidequests until you get the ability to warp around.

- As others have said, your AI teammates are not very bright. One of the mechanics of combat is knowing when to block against powerful attacks, which causes restorative HP/MP orbs to poop out of the enemy, and they TRY to assist you by giving you the ability to order your teammates to switch to All-Defense, but EVEN WHEN YOU SELECT THAT, I've found my teammates still doing offensive attacks and not blocking/defending. Very frustrating.

- okay I'll say it again no game looks as good as this on PS3, the art direction and monster design is fantastic (also the monster names are awesome)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 10, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

instead of re-releasing the ff7 pc port, square-enix should have re-released the ff7 port but replaced cloud with lightning
It only now just clicked with me that not only is Cocoon supposed to be Midgar 2.0 but Lightning..... Cloud..... aaaagggggrrrrhhh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whaley posted:

Is the Ni No Kuni battle system really as much of a mess as it seems or am I retarded? Why do so many of my familiars hit for 1 when they're the same level as Mitey who can hit everything for a zillion? Everything about this game is lovely besides the battle system and I'm really hoping I'm just missing something
I didn't really have a problem with that. The important thing is to not Catch Em All like Pokemon and just train the few you have. Don't have so many that you have a full list of reserves, that is. Feed em the stat-boosting items as much as possible, keep their equipment up to date, etc.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You know, I took it as far as I could, I gave it every effort, but when a final boss has a Death spell that works 100% of the time and he uses it on your main character after you just took 6 million of its 7 million hit points down after about 20 minutes.....

I guess what I'm saying is I "beat" Final Fantasy 13, and by that I mean I turned it off and went to bed after that game over because it's gently caress o clock in the morning

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you talking about the final boss that can be killed with poison or the one after that?
The second of the three, he has a Death spell and i didnt know he was gonna have that poo poo. I don't really like death spells in RPGs but especially not in "leader falls, party falls" combat. It just turns into russian roulette.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Polsy posted:

I don't remember any of them being "actually" tough once I found out what I should have been doing, though two of them took me forever at the time because I failed to identify the gimmick and I just beat them down with regular attacks, really slowly. I guess whether you can get away with that is more dependent on your level.
Don't forget one of them casts Doom on you if you take too long

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

"Too long" meaning you're taking over 20 minutes in a fight which literally takes around 7 minutes if you've never leveled up your characters or changed your equipment.

Generally any fight that is taking too long involves not using buffs or debuffs. They are absurdly powerful and not using them is seriously wrecking your damage output.
I used my buffs and debuffs! And I levelled up my dudes into the lvl 4 of their primary classes! And they had 2nd-tier star weapons! But these bosses have tanky-rear end HP and it doesnt help that they do their mega-attacks even when staggered, forcing me to take at least one person off the attack to heal.

But I still would've beaten the 2nd form if it didn't randomly cast Death and kill Lightning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished suikoden, what a good game all-around. I played a little of Tales of Symphonia and Breath of Fire IV but they both have some issues (Not a fan of Symphonia's slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, wait, slash-slash-slash, heal, etc. combat). Breath of Fire IV might have the worst isometric camera I've ever seen. Getting around the first town in the game is a loving nightmare. Why did they design walls so high everywhere? Is this what the entire game is going to be like?

Also I bought Grandia and Devil Summoner, which I expect will be slightly smoother experiences.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, SMT Devil Summoner is pretty fuckin cool. Just finished the first episode. The combination of free-roam RPG combat with SMT mechanics works really well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dragon Quarter is one of the best PS2 games, fact

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

We should all get in the Christmas spirit and play Parasite Eve
I was thinking about buying that actually because the style of combat looked up my alley, I like free-roam turn-based combat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I screwed myself with PS2 rpgs because there was that one point when Gamestop was clearing PS2 games out but I didn't know they were clearing them out, and at the time a lot of PS2 RPGs were going for... maybe 10 dollars at most? I mean Wild Arms 3 was like 3 bucks, Suikoden III was 3 bucks. Wish I was paying attention, coulda built a heck of a library for cheap.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agh this floating platform bullshit in devil summoner just get me to the dang boss already!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well after an hour I finally beat the most annoying boss in the whole game with his fuckin stun ball and charm bolts. These bosses aren't actually hard, it's just that in true SMT fashion you can go from full health to wiped out in 2 turns no matter what the encounter is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also bought Star Ocean 3 which I understand is an adequate Tri-Ace game and Infinite Undiscovery which I understand is a lovely as gently caress Tri-Ace game. Can't wait to play both :twisted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Enjoy your terrifying terrible 3D rendered children.
Dinner dinner dinner

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

100% completing games is not really something I do

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The best way to play it is apparently not through PSN cause it ain't on there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There hasn't been a non-Disney 'PS2 classic' added to PSN since June. Atlus may literally be the only company that cares at this point

e: naturally japan PSN is still getting them (grandia II and Xtreme added in the past month)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That doesn't really explain why Wild Arms 5 is on PSN in Japan and not NA tho, at least get that one up XSEED, ya heard

e: also Level 5 what the gently caress Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy are on PSN in Japan and not NA, get ya poo poo together

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 31, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF13 is more linear are you kidding me, you just hold up like its sonic the hedgehog, the game even handles all the Project A-ko-esque jumping for you

"oh look a ladder" *JUMPS 30 FEET ABOVE THE LADDER*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a long time ago because I don't re-play Final Fantasy games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Puzzle dungeons would be fine if they weren't made more tedious by encounters (especially random encounters). Puzzle dungeon + random encounter is the worst combo in JRPGs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hubris.height posted:

pffttt hahahaha
Dragon Quarter is Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh thank goodness i dont have to do clive's full story to get the good ending in suikoden 2, that was driving me insane with its time restrictions.