Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

SomeChump posted:

Resonance of Fate is a really good tactics heavy RPG. The way the game is built you can't grind through tough encounters and have to use the game mechanics to your advantage to make it past the first few hours. Sadly though, the rate of combat is pretty high so towards the end it can be a bit samey, though the difficulty curve does push you to keep improving.
Also the three main characters are all pretty good and the voice acting it stellar throughout.

This game really surprised me. I had a blast with it at first and the combat was really interesting, but by chapter 11 I was so sick of it that it felt like a chore to continue. The game can be pretty brutal and have normal encounters that are more difficult than boss fights. However, you're normally just using the same strategy on simple fights repeatedly.

Most of the game is actually doing the sidequests. The lovely part about that is if you skip one, you can break a chain of quests and will not be able to do future side quests which may or may not have great rewards. Those sidequests also make sure that you aren't falling behind in levels, which means you won't be getting killed in 1 hit by bosses. Fortunately, most successful boss strategies involve not getting hit at all.

The game is amazing when it is at it's best, but you really have to trudge through a lot of crap to get to that. The interesting fights are very satisfying and it has some great characters as well. Not being the run of mill spunky teenager saves the world from the dark lord story is a plus, even if the story isn't that great.

I would definitely recommend at least giving it a shot to anyone though. Any game where you can customize a gun to have multiple barrels, 2 scopes and enough grips for an octopus is worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU