Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's also important to mention that this game is an indirect sequel to Space Jam.

Anyone who read that and said "eh I don't know, I might like it" just do yourself a favor and download it. I got it on a whim and then didn't actually play it until 6 months later, but it pretty much took over my weekend.

I never would have guessed that the save point speeches were actually said by anyone ironically.

Not all the save point speeches are copied from the internet, but the ones that that aren't are written like ones that are. Bento Box is even mentioned in one of them, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

^^^^You and me both. Glad I got ahold of a copy of Illusion of Gaia at a used games store.

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

One of the most overlooked SNES rpg's ever Illusion Of Gaia (also known as Illusion Of Time) is one of the most unique and somber games I've ever played.

I second this. I loved it as a kid and I just replayed it recently and still enjoy it. Much of the game is pretty sad when you get into it, like Jihad said, it deals with themes like loss of loved ones, slavery, cruelty, and stuff like that.

Its part of a loosely bound SNES trilogy: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. (I heard Granstream Saga is the 4th in the series, but I haven't played it yet. Its for PS1)

I recommend Terranigma for the same reasons as Illusion of Gaia. Enix didn't have an american publisher at the time it came out, so it only got an english release in Europe, I dont think its seen any kind of rerelease so finding a rom is the only way to get it. I found out the hard way trying to get used game stores to find a copy.

Terranigma is also an action RPG, its been awhile since I played it but unlike Gaia you level more traditionally and can find the occasional store. Its based around a boy named Ark, and your job is to revive the world. You start off raising the continents and then reviving different forms of life and eventually people. And like Gaia it takes place on Earth, you can even meet Christopher Columbus, and at one point the Wright brothers will develop airplanes.

The themes are very much the same as Gaia too. Even before humanity is revived you deal with many human problems like the loss of loved ones, and after the revival suffering, greed, etc. Much of the cast doesn't show up until halfway through the game this time around, but the historical mashup setting is pretty interesting.

I mentioned the loosely bound trilogy, these games all have a certain amount of crossover. Soulblazer and Terranigma both have you reviving life that is sealed away by monsters. A boss from Soulblazer is also a secret boss in Illusion of Gaia. Gaia and Terranigma both take place on Earth. There is also some repeating spritework. The Moon Tribe in Gaia has the same sprite as some enemies later on in Soulblazer, and I know I have seen others. This is a serious spoiler for Terranigma but Dark and Light Gaia are in both Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma but in opposite roles.

Edit: If you are interested in these games be careful reading Claven666's post two below mine, he has no spoiler tags at all. Goddamn, spoiler that poo poo Claven.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 2, 2010

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

That whole segment and the stuff immediately before and after it is the most embarrassing and boring part of the game at least, but if you can tough it out for a while it does get cool again. The best character (consider him the polar opposite of the 7 year old boy warrior who is significantly inferior to Seth and Kaim in every way in terms of stats) joins you in Disc 3.

EDIT: The kids stick around but that part of the game (and the stuff prior to it) is where they're most central, and they never sing that loving song again.

I got hung up on random battles in some haunted mansion a ways in. But I have to say, I really enjoyed the characters in Lost Odyssey. How much I like the characters can often be a deal breaker for me with rpgs, and its often why I can often tolerate old snes games with their simple characters more so then modern rpgs.

So, is there any way to make the random battles not kick my rear end so much? I want to start it back up some day.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

It's just very charming. One of the few video games I've ever played that ever felt like it had a legitimately original vision in terms of its world and inhabitants. There are fairies, but even they are not very fairy-ish, and they get totally overwhelmed by all the strange original stuff like the ducks wearing military hard hats and throwing egg grenades.

I was just about to post that its about the only game I can say really has a ton of pure charm to it. Its a real shame they tanked the Mana series, they had a lot of really cool stuff in them.

I love cactus.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Xenix posted:

Then it makes total sense. How annoying :(

Yeah, they had the boss fights finished, and the Cutscenes were finished up because, I'm guessing, they were contracted to an animation studio, which left a lot of the in-between story and interactions. Its so story heavy all they could do was narrate it and hand a big load of text to people.

Game has one hell of an epic story though, its mind boggling.