Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?
I love Illusion of Gaia so much, and definitely consider it superior to Terranigma. It's definitely one of the darker SNES games, and it was so cool visiting many real locations.

I wish they'd release it on the VC, I'd love to replay it. And get all frustrated over not finding all of the red gems all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tales of the Abyss is just an all-around good JRPG experience. I even kind of liked the plot and characters, despite both being kind of dumb at times as expected. The music was good, the battle system a HUGE step-up from Symphonia (and would later be made even better for Vesperia), a huge world to explore, lots of hidden extras, a very challenging optional boss, etc.

My only big complaints are that the load times are quite obnoxious for a PS2 game, the skits weren't voiced in the English release, and there is no sure-fire method to get enough Grade to buy everything like in Vesperia. Hopefully the load times will be fixed in the 3DS remake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume you've played Chrono Trigger?

casual poster posted:

I'm pretty sure tales of the abyss may be my next game, I might even start it when I get home if atelier doesn't start working out for me.
The only thing is that the main character is really awful at the start, though it was mostly intentional and the other characters probably disliked him more than you the player would. It wound up being a fairly decent character development arc as a result though which is the important thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wendell posted:

I haven't heard a single thing about Final Fantasy IV: The After Years since its initial release. Never even heard anything when the various episodes were released. Was it entirely forgettable?
It's FFIV fanservice. The plot reads like FFIV fanfiction, which sounds pretty damning but honestly I didn't think it was that far off the bat for usual FF plots. The gameplay is basically the same, except with a boatload of new characters and some multi-character Techs like Chrono Trigger. The DLC system to give you each chapter is kind of a pain and ultimately drives up the price fairly high.

The best part about it in my opinion is the final chapter when all the characters come together, and you're given full control to set up your final party as you see fit. In doing so you can really break the game, and in some ways that becomes necessary given the enormous gauntlet of bosses you face in the very very long final dungeon.

Personally I had a lot of fun with it, but it is basically just fanservice for diehard FFIV fans.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

If only they'd released Perfect Works in English :allears:
At least we finally got Perfect Works completely translated/scanlated a couple of years back (there was even a thread about it here). I think the only pages that weren't finished were the Seraphita/Tolone comics at the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

I don't really enjoy games that gently caress you over with a bad/mediocre ending unless you do very specific things, which put me on a guide addict.

I never want to go through a non-108 Suikoden V again. God drat it.

And Ogre Battle 64. You saved the world. Get the gently caress out of the country because lol chaos frame never explained.
Yeah, this always bothers me a lot. Valkyrie Profile was pretty bad too in this regard, I refuse to believe anyone can get the good ending without painstakingly following a guide.

I'm actually going to have to make a Suikoden III decision soon. I've beaten S1 and got pretty far in S2 (I need to start over so I can get all 108 stars), but I've heard enough musings of mediocrity regarding S3 that I'm wondering if I can just stop after S2. I have enough JRPGs in my queue as it is anyway. Then it's a matter of whether I should give S5 a try I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DQV DS is pretty great. It was only my second Dragon Quest game ever (the first being DQIV DS) but I had an immense amount of fun with it. I should go through it another time with Debora as my wife instead, I hear that's pretty amusing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To illustrate how broken Rita is, one or two Overlimits while continuously casting Meteor Storm will rack up so much damage on the "super hard" optional boss that the boss will be dead before the damage counter can catch up. He won't even get a chance to get a single move in IIRC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

Ys 7 and Ys Oath in Felghana - Very good action RPGs. 7 is a bit better than Oath but the two are fairly different when it comes to the details.
Really? I haven't played the PSP version of Oath, but overall vastly preferred the PC version over Ys 7. I thought the general consensus was that 7 was kind of mediocre (I still enjoyed it though).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

Oath on the other hand, is certainly the best of the classic "Ys" experience. The platforming really turns me off at times and the lack of an accessible inventory during bosses really feels like the main factor for the increased difficulty rather than actual difficult gameplay.
Personally I thought the accessible inventory completely trivialized all the boss fights since healing items were so cheap. Oath losing this function made it harder yes, but I'd argue the boss battles were better balanced to account for it as well.

Oath undeniably has better music too for what it's worth.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ineffiable posted:

Anything I should add? It's gonna be a huge list, but I think we could make a good comprehensive list. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a ton of my games are inside boxes.
Tales of the Abyss, Nocturne, and Dragon Quest VIII.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, I seem to recall Billy's Gear being kinda unimpressive.
That's only true if you neglect to give him an Ether Doubler and/or other Ether boosting stuff.

Of course the ultimate Ether Doubler situation is Elly. Nothing like laying waste to all bosses effortlessly with Aerods.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WrightOfWay posted:

I just got a DS, what are some good RPGs for it?
Gonna be some repeat mentions but:

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy IV
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
SMT: Devil Survivor
SMT: Strange Journey
The World Ends With You

A lot of remakes! I left off FFIII because I didn't like it very much, and Partners In Time because most people said it was mediocre (I didn't play it).

casual poster posted:

Alright so I didn't grab the ring from citan's garden cause I was looking for a large garden, not a small square. The gears just attacked the village and I finally have control of Fei again. Am I still able to get the ring or should I just restart? The pay off for getting the ring seems worth it, but i'd have to go through a good amount of cutscenes.
Man it's no fun to play through a game like that. There will be no end to things you will have to follow a guide to get the first time. Just play and have fun. Most of the game you will be able to figure out just fine.

The only thing I wish I had known really prior to playing Xenogears the first time was info on a certain boss on Disc 2: After this boss receives a certain amount of damage, it will countdown to a self-destruction. You do NOT want to let the boss self-destruct, because if it does so you will not get a really awesome item called the Trader's Card.

As for favorite parties, I think without a doubt the on-foot party has to be Fei/Citan/Billy. Billy's support skills are just too useful. But for Gears, I would probably indeed give the nod to Fei/Citan/Emeralda.

E: Also I'm going to repost my blurb on Deathblows currently on beforeiplay, only because I feel like SpazmasterX's explanation is a little complicated:

"Fight your non-boss, non-Gear battles the following way unless you run into trouble: cycle through EVERY possible Square, Triangle, and X combination that does not end with a X . This is because ending something in a X will start a Deathblow. So if you have 4 AP, you should do:

Round 1: T-T-T-T

Round 2: T-T-S

Round 3: T-S-T

Round 4: S-T-T

Round 5: S-S

Round 6: X-T

Round 7: Repeat

Adjust the pattern as you get more AP, and of course if the battle ends before you reach the end just try to remember where you left off last battle.

This is important because you will optimize your Deathblow learning efficiency, and will in fact master Deathblows before they are even available to you. Since Deathblows are largely more important than leveling up, this will save you a lot of time grinding or otherwise wasting your time trying to learn Deathblows."

And if it wasn't clear, each of these cycles would be independent for each character (since everyone learns Deathblows individually, of course).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 18, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Persona 2 is the best SMT title by a fairly large margin (with the caveat that I haven't played Persona 4 and am not finished with Nocturne).

The battle system is probably a bit archaic by P3 or P4 standards, but it's still a step up from the tedium of Persona 1 and should be sleek enough in the PSP remake to work just fine. It's mostly the story and music that I think puts it heads and shoulders above other SMT titles, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Cross should really be thought of as its own little stand-alone story. At most serving as a side story to Chrono Trigger. I mean I love both games but the connections are really vague and iffy and hand-wave-ish.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also personally I can't really see the rationale in playing just Eternal Punishment. It's kind of stand-alone but I can't imagine appreciating it nearly as much without experiencing Innocent Sin. I mean I know that's all US players had to play, but when I played both IS and EP back-to-back a couple of years ago it truly did feel like one continuous experience where the first game smoothly led into the other. I'm very gladly I waited until the IS fan-translation patch came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I generally head to the moon once Rosa learns Holy. Of course this includes doing the Cave of Sylph and Land of Monster sidequests.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PlasticPaddy posted:

poo poo, I didn't do any of those sidequests.
Well, you can do them afterwards, though I think you lose on getting the Spoon (a throw item for Edge that's guaranteed to do 9999 damage). You should still be able to get the summon that's in the Sylph Cave though I think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mass Effect is a very popular series and quite beloved on SA, where in the world were you hearing that it was "getting a lot of hate"???

I tend to hate WRPGs but I've come to really love ME. Especially the dialogue wheel, which allows you to shape Shepherd's character (and I do mean he/she has an actual character as a result), rather than the usual approach of having the main just serve as a lifeless avatar of the player who doesn't actually feel like a person in the story.

The gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag for some but I think it's mostly solid. ME2 especially streamlined and improved a lot of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should play ME1 because it is also a good game and really the whole thing is one continuous story. This is partly why the PS3 version of ME2 makes no sense to me; it just isn't the same if you aren't importing in a character that has gone through ME1 and made the glut of decisions that help shaped Shepherd and the rest of ME's universe.

Morpheus posted:

I find the dialogue wheel is one of the worst parts of the games. It's cements the worst part of Bioware games - the incredibly polar dialogue choices - into an actual gameplay element, and for some reason, calls it innovative. Simply because you're choosing from a wheel instead of a list.
I just like that it points Shepherd's character a direction and he/she runs with it, rather than just repeating whatever the selected line was verbatim. It "fleshes out" Shepherd's dialogue in a sense and makes his conversations sound like...well, conversations.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 4, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Depends on what type of RPG you're looking for, but my favorites are:

The remakes/ports:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Front Mission (It's a SRPG)

SRPG:
SMT: Devil Survivor

Dungeon Crawler:
SMT: Strange Journey

No clue what category this is:
The World Ends With You

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but that update in particular was referring to Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. There was/is a drive to get them localized on twitter and blogs called Operation Rain Fall. Monado (Xenoblade's original title) was #1 on Amazon's pre-orders for a day for example.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it was ever "confirmed" beyond rampant fan speculation that the Xenosaga series was going to retell anything in Xenogears. It was even said (in an interview I think) that Xenosaga was Takahashi's attempt into making a more pure sci-fi story, which would have immediately distanced itself from Xenogears anyway which mixed sci-fi and fantasy. It WAS supposed to be six episodes, which is why it feels like so much happens in III. They basically skipped over what III would have been (hence the time skip between II and III) and crammed IV-VI into one game. The funny thing is rather than feeling rushed, Xenosaga III actually is paced pretty well because things, well, actually happen. That's more of a jab at how poorly paced I and II were though than a compliment of III.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really, the only part about Xenosaga that seems like it was lifted straight from the Xenogears mythos was the unearthing of the Zohar. You could kind of argue that XS Episode I is kind of what XG Episode I was about (a great civilization spread across innumerable worlds, eventually stricken with strife), but it never actually went the distance with how Episode II begins...namely the exodus of the Eldrige.

As for XS II in general, it's still a pretty bad game but for me it's mostly because of two reasons: the battle system is extremely annoying at times thanks to the knockdown system (especially if you're up against a large number of fast enemies) and overly complicated/convoluted, and the non-cutscene music just sucks. Also if I recall, basically nothing of importance happens until the very end (it's paced pretty poorly).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Felghana is a lot, lot better than 7. Get Oath in Felghana.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a good SNES game for sure, though I found some bosses frustrating. Personally I've always preferred Illusion of Gaia though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As I recall, only a handful of characters have really long backstories. Arngrim and that female mage (not Jelanda, the one from later in the game) being some of the longest. Most others start and wrap up in a few minutes or less.

The voice acting is still pretty silly/overdramatic at times but it was still a fun game. I played it recently too so I don't think it's rose tinted glasses or anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Quest V is really hard to get, be sure to pick it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So I'm finally getting around to playing my PS3 games, the first one in my queue being Valkyria Chronicles. Enjoying it quite a bit, finding the missions even early on to be well balanced in terms of challenge and alternate methods to be cleared. All in all, a good time.

And then I get to Chapter 7 :suicide:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It got pretty down to the wire but I finished the mission with maybe one or two turns before the Batomys would have driven over my base. The start is pretty easy; I just whittled the turrets down to nothing with a team of the Edelweiss, two lancers, and an engineer. The others (Alicia and a team of shocktroopers) ravaged the remaining units on the map in the meantime. You can actually set a trap with 2-3 shocktroopers next to eachother on the ramp near one of your starting trenches...all of the enemies will simply rush into these troopers out in the open and get gunned down without a sweat.

Finally for the radiators, instead of taking them out one at a time I elected to whittle down all three so one hit would take them out. When I was down to one, I repositioned everyone to prepare for the reinforcements. Finally took out the second and third radiator (after the second, everyone at the main base quickly snuck behind Selvaria's men to ensure they wouldn't be a problem, then came retreated). Then it was just a matter of whether I could blast the bastard before he got to my base...

Whew.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't want to have too many units on the west side of the map (actually keeping the two lancers and one engineer alive was difficult enough as it were), so I elected to not utilize scouts/grenades. I mean I would've had lancers in the area already for the turrets, and if they'll go down in one hit it's all the same anyway. Actually I artificially made it more difficult than I had to I think because there were at least 2 or 3 rounds where the Batomys wouldn't move forward because the Edelweiss was too close or something (and instead just blasted it with its rear canon). Had I moved my tank around better I probably could have saved myself a little bit of trouble and gotten it to put out its stupid radiators quicker.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

Does anyone have much to say about Soma Bringer and the fan translation? Been interested in this but haven't gotten around to it myself, and am starting to have to get choosy about what I play in my time.
The translation is fine, but as said the plot isn't anything special. I'm not even saying it's bad, I just can't remember anything about it as it left no impression whatsoever. But the combat is fun and you can customize your character in a wide variety of ways which I liked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why does one assume you will discard the PSP once you get the Vita? I'm getting a 3DS soon but I'll still probably play most of my DS games on my Lite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dis astranagant posted:

3 is bland and very easy. Not a whole lot happens and by the time it does you don't really know what any of it had to do with anything. Not exactly bad, just not good. The ps2 games, on the other hand, are loving terrible.
Does this include Twilight of the Spirits? I liked that game :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I don't remember much about the plot other than it was silly, I just remember thinking the gameplay was nice and it was kind of cool how you had two different parties competing against each other sort of.

E: Also the longest final boss battle I've ever seen, holy poo poo.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Valkyria Chronicles, was pretty good. Some of the maps were kind of gimmicky but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised with the overall challenge the game presented from start to end. I went through some of the DLC missions which were fun too I guess, but I guess I missed a couple in Selvaria's because I didn't A rank one of them which would've unlocked a few more. Honestly I think I'm kind of VCed out though for the moment so maybe I'll get back to it another day.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

I got stuck on that horrible Chapter 7 and then lost steam to keep going. The fact that it looks like the series is probably never coming back to America after 2, let alone a non-portable console, is discouraging. Consoles need more pretty JRPGs, especially ones that are actually fun to play.
Chapter 7 was bad (I complained about it earlier in the thread), but I feel like I could pretty consistently beat it now (in an ordinary game, not New Game+) now that I know what to expect. It comes down to unfortunately memorizing enemy behavior and preparing accordingly several turns in advance, which is something I think can be said of many maps. You'll have to try and fail a few times to get the layout or flow of a given map, and then try for real.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember it crashed every now and then on the Gamecube hardware too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never understood the attention the Star Ocean series got. I thought Star Ocean 2, the "good one", was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played, only beaten in overall shittiness by maybe Persona 1. Though for opposite reasons I suppose (Persona 1 had an OK story but The Worst gameplay imaginable, SO2 had OK gameplay but the dumbest plot ever conceived by man).

SO2's plot makes the plot of the Tales' series look like high art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hortism posted:

Star Ocean 2's plot wan't particularly interesting or anything, but it wasn't exatly bad. I mean, it's not SO3 or 4.
What's to hate? It's fairly generic in terms of JRPG stories.
Let me ask, are you a fan of Lunar Silver Star Story? That's the kind of company I put SO2 in. It's a sort of just something that permeates throughout the whole game, from the dialogue, to the pacing, to the "twists". Hell I remember thinking something was off the moment the main male character's monlogue and thinking it was the dumbest written thing I had ever heard. That really kind of set the tone. I remember thinking it was OK (though the in-battle dialogue was laughably bad), and then whoops the planet was destroyed and it just went to hell. And that "airship", what the gently caress was that supposed to be? I've seen greater effort put into SNES games for overworld travel.

E: Also, the word "barrels" is literally the only thing memorable about the cast of characters.

E 2: It didn't help I guess that at the time I had just finished Xenogears (still my favorite JRPG to this day), and the same person who had recommended that to me also mentioned SO2 as being "just as good." I don't even remember his name but 10 years later and that guy still needs to gently caress off.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 23, 2011