Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rascar posted:

I'm currently playing through Lost Odyssey on the Xbox360 and I was really digging it a lot until a bunch of little kids joined my party. I just reached the point where they sing a song to stop this girl with the glasses and cleavage from being possessed or something and my desire to continue playing this has greatly diminished. Does it get good again or should I just stop playing?

That whole segment and the stuff immediately before and after it is the most embarrassing and boring part of the game at least, but if you can tough it out for a while it does get cool again. The best character (consider him the polar opposite of the 7 year old boy warrior who is significantly inferior to Seth and Kaim in every way in terms of stats) joins you in Disc 3.

EDIT: The kids stick around but that part of the game (and the stuff prior to it) is where they're most central, and they never sing that loving song again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Persona 2 stuff

Eternal Punishment is a direct sequel and the games are intended to be played in sequential order, but the way in which the two are connected is a mystery resolved by the plot of EP. The main character of EP is a major character in Innocent Sin and vice versa, and the relationship between the two is central to the plot.

EDIT: ^^^ yeah, that's true too. EP can functionally stand alone (and did until recently for many American gamers who didn't really have much of a choice unless they spoke Japanese) but playing IS enriches it and in any case if you like the SMT series you'll want to play both halves anyway because it's a great game.

EDIT 2: One interesting thing I forgot to mention for people who haven't played it is that the main characters are "silent protagonist" types where the player fills in the blanks and makes dialogue choices in their respective games, but are actually strongly characterized in the other's game. This is both a pretty unique experience (since few RPGs have direct sequels of that sort, and those that do often have you playing the same protagonist) and one of the ways in which the games are enriched by playing both.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 24, 2011

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you liked Illusion of Gaia, you should try Terranigma

Also Soul Blazer, the third game in the set (and first chronologically released) which came out in the US but tends to be a bit of a forgotten gem. They're also thematically similar to Actraiser, which you may be familiar with but if not is basically a 50/50 mix of action platformer and citybuilding sim and seems like another game worth trying with the girlfriend.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also on the subject, what's the consensus about Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway? I remember playing it a LONG time ago and thinking it started strong but got to be a gigantic slog by the end of the game. I've heard though, that the three different paths differ in difficulty quite a bit, is that true? If so, what's the "order" of difficulty?

In my experience, it'd be the most universally beloved Mana game if it had ever come out here. SD2 is probably more popular, but only because every nerd and their cousin played it (together!) when they were kids. I think it has some janky mechanics (playing with a caster friend can get annoying) and boring parts but so did Mana and Evermore, and the post-SNES games that I've played were all just a mess for different reasons. Being able to pick from six characters and customize them via stats and class changes is a nice RPG-like boon to Mana's really simple fighter/mage/priest setup.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Dunno about the patch since I've only played SD3 on the cart, but in terms of builds as long as you have Charlotte on your team you're pretty much set, since she gets good healing magic no matter what she does. For real min-maxing you'll want one offense/support/healing character each. All you really need though for smooth sailing is one multi-target healer and you'll be OK. Relying entirely on items for healing sucks, as I learned my first time through the game.

Hello no-healer buddy! My first party was like Dark/Dark Duran, Dark/Light Hawk, and Dark/Light Angela or something. In case you never discovered them yourself, the Secret is the group heal potions you can buy from the black market in the port town.

EDIT: On another note, does anybody know if you can play SD3 with three players via multitap emulation or anything like that? The last time I tried we couldn't figure out how and concluded that maybe the game is only two-player, and the subject has come up again with some other friends recently.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 30, 2011

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

nene. posted:

If you have Multi-target Heal Light or w/e it's called then you're fine and that group owns.

Yeah this, Light Duran and Kevin both get heal light and L/D both of them both get multi-target. Really the only time not having a multi-target heal spell hurt me was on the final boss by which point you'll have the second class change for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sachant posted:

Funny (if you recall for instance the response to guided tour that was FFXIII) how we've come to expect open ends and branching paths, while JRPGs haven't really delivered yet.

In all fairness FF13 was a step back in that regard, not "another example" of JRPGs offering no open-endedness. Almost every other JRPG from FF12 to the original Super Mario RPG was more open-ended than FF13, or at least had many more secrets and much more optional content that contributed to a feeling of exploration regardless of their actual (lack of) freedom of choice.

Pee pee doo doo FF13 is a Bad Game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really wish they'd remade Romancing Saga 3 on the PS2 with those graphics and poo poo instead of RS1 (Minstrel Song). It's just a better game. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brace posted:

I've been kind of interested in Deus Ex : HR because of a lack of things to play recently, what can it be related to? I've never played the original one, but have played a fair share of RPGs in the past.

It's really a first person shooter/stealth game with meaningful dialogue choices and explorable city hubs with a few "sidequests". I'd recommend it (and the original Deus Ex) because they're good games, but they're really hybrids at best.

EDIT: It's difficult to say where it ranks on the range of FPS-RPG games between Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc in terms of which it's most like but I will say this - it has better gameplay than all of them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Perfect Potato posted:

Not sure if they ever fixed this but you can lose Interceptor permanently or swap the effect to a different character through status effect trickery, Imp or something. Pretty sure interceptor eventually disappeared in almost every playthrough for me. Which sucks since he's a dog that randomly shows up and kills poo poo.

In at least some versions of the game (I'm pretty sure every SNES version anyway), Interceptor is treated as a hidden status effect on the characters who have him. There's a specific enemy ability, Rippler, which swaps status effects between the caster and target... including Interceptor. If an enemy casts it on Shadow (or Relm) and then you kill them before they cast it again, the dog's gone.

The fun part of this is that Strago can learn Rippler as a Lore, which means you can manipulate this functionality to your heart's content once you understand how it works. I'm unsure if the status condition resets on Shadow when he leaves and rejoins the party, when you can first get access to Rippler, etc but if so it might be possible to spread him around like a very cute virus.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HondaCivet posted:

Er, is it Tactics Ogre where they are super overpowered? How come games either make archers totally useless or OP anyway?

Range is generally a powerful advantage in combat so ranged type characters have to be limited in some way or to some degree lest they totally outpace melee characters. Usually the way this is done for mages is giving them limited resources and making them very easy to kill, so designers like to do different stuff with archers to make them feel different.

From there, they tend to either not limit them enough or limit them with too-crippling a penalty to damage or something so that they end up either being amazing or worthless. It's sort of like stealth and lifesteal abilities, something inherently tricky to do right where making them a little too bad or too good can ruin or overpower a class.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HGH posted:

Apparently the Bravely Default devs are the single worst performing game company (stocks wise) in Japan right now.
As for the rest, yeesh, the industry's looking bleak.

thank god konami's doing so well

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

if youve got a psp and dont have brandish then brandish your wallet and obtain it *falls in a hole*

the snes version of that game was disorienting as hell

i'm pretty sure i eventually beat it tho...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Caveat: the PS1 versions of FF1-2 and 4-6 are probably the worst possible versions of those games including the NES/SNES originals, adding load times and similar bullshit with few if any upsides from the originals. The version of FF4 on Steam is the DS port, which is fine and kind of interesting if you've played it before, but punitively difficult if you haven't and adds new gameplay mechanics that fundamentally change the nature of the game. FF1-3 have never been great games and if you've never played them there's probably no version of any of them that you'll love.

I'd recommend the following platforms for playing old Final Fantasy...

1: PSP, GBA, NES
2: PSP, GBA, Famicom w/ patch
3: Steam, Famicom w/ patch
4: PSP, SNES (or SFAM w/ patch)
5: SFAM w/ patch, GBA
6: SNES, GBA
7: Steam
8: Steam
9: PSN store
10: PS3/4 HD

ROMs really are the best way to play the SNES games in particular unless you're willing to dig out old hardware and pay new game prices for used carts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Calibretto from Battle Chasers

So I guess Joe Mad is actually working on a real Battle Chasers game? I haven't heard about that in like 15 years

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
cloud and lightning are similar on deeper character development levels than just visual design and superficial plot stuff though; both of their arcs are about a person with no self-confidence pretending to be a stone-cold badass and then overcoming the need for that persona through the events of the game, a thing which lightning herself directly explains to hope ("I thought by changing my name, I could change who I was")

i don't think that's dumb or a bad thing or uncreative though, and the characters themselves are one of the best things about 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

Kanjis subplot in P4 gives off a lot of mixed messages. On the one hand the basic message of it is "be yourself, cause living a lie will make you miserable" otoh there's a lot of "ew gays!" Jokes made and the characters making them never get their come-up-ance or even questioned about it. It's kind of bizarre.

I'm kinda torn on this because I feel like Yusuke is the source of most of the game's homophobia and he is absolutely portrayed as a callous dipshit teenage boy, and the game gives you the option to freak him out on purpose by doing stuff like being excited (or feigning excitement) about Miss Yasogami

That poo poo in P5, however marginal, was just real dumb and in poor taste tho. It's not nearly pervasive enough to ruin the game and there's also some counter-examples (like the bartender in the Devil S Link, who's portrayed as a wise, friendly, and upright adult in a game with a lot of poo poo ones), but it undermines the game's anarchist vibe and I hope the next one doesn't pull that poo poo again

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 11, 2017