Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
LOM is so painfully underrated, like many of Square's greatest games in my opinion. I enjoyed LOM more than SOM and SD3, two games I spent hours on and loved to death as well.

The crafting system is a bit silly and highly unintuitive, but the game is just so beautiful, has excellent music and is relaxing to play. A shame we'll never see it on PSN since people hate it so much :rolleyes:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Sorry if I posted twice, centurylink is loving up and keeps taking away access to SA.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

TheOriginalEd posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/21/legend-of-mana-lands-on-playstation-network-next-week/

Like most of square's great games its out on the Japanese PSN with no indication of ever coming out anywhere else :smith:

God, this makes me want to kill someone who works for the US PSN. Rpgs were so popular on the psx too but all we get are a bunch of racing games and shovelware. At least we got RE, MGS1 and the psx Final Fantasies.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I was doing some bored googling earlier and found out about this strange game called Xenoblade, apparently its a monolith game made by XG's director. Youtube has shown me that the music is really, really good and it does look interesting. The gameplay and exploration reminds me a lot of FF12, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Has anyone here imported it and played enough to comment on it?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

quakster posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'll never associate this boss theme with any other game but Charles Barkley:Shut and Jam Gaiden :colbert:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

hey...can anyone recommend me any games that are similar (if they exist) to Seiken Densetsu 3? I've played Terranigma, which while awesome in its own right, really felt more like Zelda with levels/grinding attached.

I never tried any of the new mana games, though what I've heard of Children of Mana makes it sound terrible and I don't want to touch it.

I've played: Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, some of Final Fantasy Adventure.

Consoles I have: ps2, ps3, DS-lite and a pretty up to date gaming pc.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sucks that you don't have a PSP, because I'd recommend Ys7 if you did. That'd probably be just what you're looking for.

Weren't they supposed to eventually do a PC port of Ys7? Or was that just rumors?

Late response but I forgot to include that I -do- have a psp. I'll have to try Ys7.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Levantine posted:

Breath of Fire 3 is the best entry in the entire series in my opinion (save maybe Dragon Quarter but that's a different ball of wax). I come back to it every few years and enjoy it just as much as the first time. The story is pretty excellent, the graphics have stood up well and the gameplay is pretty deep with the whole Master system and such.

EDIT: I agree with that. FFX-2 gets a bad rap but it was way more fun than FFX. In every way. The opening sequence set the tone for the game - it was just a fun silly story, almost like a vacation for Yuna after the events of the first game.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

People may say what they want about BOF3's story, translation and "mediocre" snes style gameplay, but it has the most well done sprites and overall artistic attention to detail in any game I have ever seen. For that it deserves praise alone. The bosses are all wonderful looking and lively in their own ways and the character sprites are very good at showing emotion etc.

Not to say its a bad game, I played this and FF7 the most as a 12 year old. Racked up over tons of hours on BOF3. I think this and 2 are tied for my favorites in the series, 4 is great too and has a really cool style but I think they made a few elements worse. Main example I can think of is a lack of a real worldmap and the fishing mini-game. The dragon system is a lot worse too, after 3's brilliant one. Still great rpg though, Scias owns.

I don't know why I love 2 so much, its a very average, standard rpg for the snes yet it has a special place in my heart. Its a typical snes rpg with an enjoyable story and I love it for that.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

BOF3 had a really amazing, fun dragon system that you could experiment with and get some really neat, obscure results if you were tired of using myrmidon to aura every boss to death. I love BOF4 but I really feel like it was a step backwards in that regard.

How's Dragon Quarter? I tried it years ago but came in wanting something like the traditional games but never gave it a chance but now I've heard really cool stuff about it..and the music seems really good.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Y'know why I like Romancing SaGa? Kenji Ito. He is the badassest battle theme composer I have ever heard.

Speaking of Romancing Saga...how is Ministrel Saga? I loved SaGa Frontier and I've had a bit of a jrpg resurgence recently after playing stuff like Persona 3/4, then Nocturne so I don't mind returning to grinding again.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I love Minstrel Song. It's fantastic. It's a little random, but you can kinda game the system and if you're lucky, you'll get a good tech early on (like I did with Golden Note fighting a major non-boss).

The quest mechanics are highly opaque, though. You fight too much, you'll miss out on events. You fight too little, you won't be strong enough to complete the events you would've missed out on (the biggest problem that comes to mind for me is getting the Amythest).

The game is more balanced compared to its SNES counterpart, too. The game is less balls-hard in the beginning, and less easy-peasy in the end.

Dragon is the most broken character. I guess folks don't like him because he's kind of limited and he has really low LP, but his secret talent is that he can't actually die unless his LP reaches 0.

Oh my god Four Noble Devils and Last Battle with updated rockin' instruments? I would go back in time and kick a man off the World Trade Centers for that.

Would you say the game at least feels like the earlier SaGa games? I don't mind if its "different" or non-linear (or linear), just as long as its not like Unlimited Saga. Sorry guys, I really wanted to love that game, it had great music and really cool art..but ughhh..

I'm really glad I never listened to reviewers with SaGa Frontier or I would have missed out on the game and a whole wasted summer of exploring and grinding while uncovering the strange vague storylines in each quest. I just saw screencaps and fell in love with how the game looked. Fortunately it felt really fun to me too.

edit- nm I guess you guys answered that. I think I'll pick it up next time I have money.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 30, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I loved the hell out of Xenogears, one of my favorite games of all time, up there with Chrono Trigger....how bad is XS in comparison? :(

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Is Tales of Hearts R worth playing? The only tales games I've really played much were phantasia, destiny, eternia and symphonia. I need more games for my vita, I already have FFX remaster and P4: Golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think we go over this every time BoF comes up, but BoF4 has some of the most insanely good parts of any jRPG out there. And then it also has some of the most tedious and dumb minigames and plot segments where absolutely nothing remotely interesting happens. You will almost certainly love the hell out of it as long as you can tolerate some stretches of downtime and dumb padding. It's worth powering through the bad points for the good ones, especially for the end game.

Breath of Fire 3 was a lot like this as well. I really loved 3 and its scope but it had some horrible minigames and segments, like the desert of death and the whole section of the game where you're trying to cross the sea and the game keeps forcing you to do stuff, like making sushi for some mayor that doesn't like it anymore. Hell, you could probably argue the same for 2 but my memory of that game is foggy since I beat it back in middleschool.

Breath of Fire is a pretty solid series though, it amazes me how capcom seems to be ashamed of its existence, I would have loved to have seen Scias or Fou-lu in one of the VS games.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2015