Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

Such a loving depressing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Xenix posted:

It's good until the second disk. Then it tells you the story rather than letting you play it out. It was like they finished the first disk and someone noticed they ran out of budget or time and put the second together in a week :( I was really disappointed when I got there back when I first played the game (also my PS1 always liked to crash at a certain point in one of the huge monologues someone gave)

Because Squaresoft did yank the carpet (and their budget) out from under them when they were still working on the second disk

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Stelas posted:

It can be. Or you can be insane and do something like this. Judith ver. / Estelle ver. / Blah blah blah ver.

Well sure, if you care about not repeating any artes. If you don't: Yuri is perfectly capable of an infinite combo when you have the right skills and his various Shining Fang/Dragon Swarm artes. You just gotta land enough hits to trigger his Overlimit skills, go bananas, end it with Divine Wolf Blaze. Then you just hit the guy with his Free Run attack while he's on the ground to pop him back up into the combo. I think I got to around 1200 hits before I got bored and ended it with Savage Wolf Fury and a Fatal Strike. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

casual poster posted:

Can anyone tell me more about xenogears battle system? From what I've seen from some gameplay videos on youtube is that it "seems" like you input a set of codes to get some type of attack? Am I seeing this right?
I think this may be my next game as long as it doesn't have a traditional battle system (after playing radiant historia I am not ready to go back to a reg system).

As previously stated, you get three attacks: weak (Triangle), medium (Square), and fierce (X). Each one is stronger, but less accurate. Deathblows require a certain combination of attacks, with more becoming available to learn as you reach higher levels and have more AP to attack in one turn with (and special Deathblows only becoming available after a certain point in the game that gives you 7AP a turn.) To learn Deathblows, you have to actually practice the combination required until you use each attack in the combo a certain amount of times. It's a simple system that you can actually twist to your advantage. Example:

There are four Triangle (1AP) attacks possible before they loop back around: T1, T2, T3, and T4.
There are two Square (2AP) attacks: S1, and S2
There is only one X (3AP) attack.

Say you have a Deathblow, Triangle Triangle Square X or T1 T2 S1 X (7AP), that requires you use each of those attacks 25 times to learn the Deathblow. You could certainly just repeatedly do the combo until you learned it, or you could recognize that your previous Deathblow usage has probably already reached the required number of uses for T1 and X (because Deathblows always end in X and a lot start with T1), leaving you to work on only T2 and S1. So now you can utilize the fighting system to your advantage to make it quicker by doing something like: Square Triangle Square Triangle Triangle (S1 T2 S1 T4 T1) and Triangle x7 (T1 T2 T3 T4 T1 T2 T3). Doing this can help you reach the requisite uses much faster because you're using one of those two attacks more than just once per combo now.

Outside of that, you get whatever your current limit is for AP every turn. You can use it all, or stockpile it (up to 28, I think) to preform a series of consecutive Deathblows.

:goonsay:

As far as Gear battles, every turn you don't use a Deathblow raises your attack level by 1 to whatever it's current limit is, enabling the uses of stronger Deathblows. So just use Triangle attacks to conserve Fuel if you're trying to raise your attack level. At the same point you get 7AP in the game, you can reach attack level Infinity after attack level 3 in your gears, which is determined by a percentage chance on screen next to "Hyper Mode", iirc. For 3 turns, it lets you access your strongest Gear Deathblows for only a tiny amount of fuel, and multiplies your fuel charges by 10. In boss battles, always start with the boost command. It's basically Auto-Haste for a small amount of fuel each turn.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 17, 2011

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

U-DO Burger posted:

More Xenogears :words:

Also worth noting is that the Holy Pendant accessory will secretly give you 6 turns of Attack Level Infinity. Gears have Special Options but they're almost all useless (but cool looking and should be used at least once) outside of Fix Frame HP, Vierge's Aerods, and Fei's second gear's System option, and the best gear in the game has a permanent 99% chance of Hyper Mode and all its' Infinity attacks are non-elemental.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

casual poster posted:

Wow, xenogears does sound incredibly interesting now. Can't wait to get to battles, only about 30 mins in so far.

The game doesn't really start until you get out of Blackmoon forest. Do yourself a favor and grind up Fei and Citan to level 16 before you get to the next town so they can learn their Square X Deathblows. It'll just make your life easier.

And yeah you get free boost in Gears if you have the Speed Shoes. Also, heh scrublords that need to use a Power Crisis on black dragons. I was grinding Fei solo on black dragons just to get him high enough to learn Yamikei.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

TheOriginalEd posted:

one last sperg about xenogears, in the beginning forest, make sure and toast hobs as much as possible with elly's fire spell while you can. This causes them to drop hobsteak which heals for about 500 and sells for a premium later on.

Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about that. Even just getting jerky from them is a good reason to slap around a couple dozen.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

U-DO Burger posted:

At the beginning of the game, you can grab a ring from the garden at Citan's house. Also, you can get a Mermaid Tear from the bar in Lahan (do this before going to Citan's house). The window of time you can get these is pretty narrow, so hopefully you haven't already missed them.

Just because I could sperg about Xenogears all day every day: The ring from Citan's house will get you a second Hercules Ring (1.5x XP), and the Mermaid Tear is for the Mermaid Ring (Magic power and Def up) for females. But the proest party is Fei, Citan, and Billy soooo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, I seem to recall Billy's Gear being kinda unimpressive.

Its' Ether gun and elemental shields are really handy, and Fei and Citan's gears more than make up for its' shortcomings. Where he really shines is on foot, thanks to his healing, revival, and haste spells.

I mean, if Gear performance is super important we can talk about how awesome Siebzehn is while Maria is the worst party member in the history of forever. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

TooManyUzukis posted:

Maria on foot is hilarious. It's like they asked themselves: how effective would a little girl REALLY be against freakish monsters? When she first joins in Shevat, I killed her off and spent most of my time building up Fei and Citan to unholy levels.

brb summoning my 50 meter tall giant robot in this air duct

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
We'll see you again to explain what the gently caress is exactly going on with the plot when you reach the world map in disc 2. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Ice Phisherman posted:

Goons, tell me, what is the absolute chillest RPG ever? I've been on a Harvest Moon kick but my N64 is broken.

I wouldn't call Harvest Moon chill considering how much rear end-busting you have to do before nighttime on any given day.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. After all the rear end-busting where you clean up the farm and plant a giant field of grass to feed your ever growing livestock supply with, it gets pretty chill. Wake up in the morning, feed the chickens, sell eggs, feed cows, sell milk, get bitches, get money.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 29, 2011

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Ice Blue posted:

Tales of series lets you play multiplayer and it's fun. If you have 360, get Tales of Vesperia, it's probably the best game in the series so far. If not, Tales of the Abyss for PS2. If you're Wii/GC only try tracking down a copy of Tales of Symphonia.

Echoing this. Vesperia is amazing fun with 2-4 people, even if they only play in battles. It's too bad they'll never translate the PS3 version since it was even more multiplayer friendly.

Haven't tried Abyss with multiple players yet, but I imagine it's the same.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone recommend me some good DS RPGs? I'm particularly interested in the turn-based grid SRPG format like Final Fantasy Tactics, but any turn-based RPG that deviates enough from the usual stuff will do.

(I've already played both Devil Survivor 1 and 2, they are very good games)

Can't go wrong with Radiant Historia, if you can find a copy.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Spuzzz posted:

How was White Knight Chronicles II? Did they fix enough of the problems to make it fun?

Single-player is still a slog, but the rewards are worth it if you're in it for the multiplayer. They added about a hundred short sidequests called "Errands" that involve walking between certain NPCs or bringing them certain items that give mostly good rewards (certain ones even give new techniques to use), and Bounties that add a bunch of "unique" mini-bosses with excellent rewards. Combat is pretty much entirely different since it goes faster due to how they changed how the ATB bar fills and that almost all the special attacks to use MP instead of AC now. Party size is increased to 6 for the new quests introduced in WKC2, and the Avatar can get his own Knight you can customize and use online in the GR16+ WKC2 quests. The level cap is increased to 80 (rebirthing drops you to 60), Guild Ranks have been changed and now cap at 30 (for now), and it's pretty easy to get at least GR14 by doing errands and bounties in single-player.

Also, there's a multilevel post-game dungeon/series of quests that serves as the next chapter in the Avatar's story. It has 10 increasingly difficult floors culminating in an extremely hard superboss.

They also introduced unidentified items that can give you extremely good versions of weapons and armor that would otherwise be a pain in the rear end to craft and upgrade normally. It's pretty much the Best Thing.

If you decide to pick it up, PM me if you want to do something online. I've been looking for an excuse to get back into it since I took a break for the holiday game rush.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Miijhal posted:

As I recall, it also comes with the original with the new mechanics added. No idea about how the second one is, but the first has a major villain who is the bastard child between Master Shake and Snidely Whiplash, and is worth it entirely for that.

He's also in the second thanks to a dumb time travel aspect of the plot.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
So I've been getting back into White Knight Chronicles 2 since I found out that they released a big patch a short while back. They've added in guilds, which are pretty neat. Each guild gets it's own hometown where guild members can create games, and you can find every type of store there (some of which offer a discount if your guild is in the top ten of the rankings). Additionally, you get guild tokens each day that you can use on a quest. These award prestige points for your guild and Geostones that you can use to "Geoforge" special unique items and a random selection of monster bits, potions, and whatnot that changes each day. Another neat aspect is that the guild leader can select one of the important NPCs from the SP game to act as concierge for your guild. This is mostly just for flavor text, but it also makes special accessories available for purchase that make your character's armor look like that particular NPCs unique outfit/armor.

Other than that, they've added new quests that allow multiple players to transform at once, upped the GP rewards for some quests (my favorite grinding quest has gone from 75,000 to 125,000~!), new DLC to purchase, and some new items to craft. With regards to the DLC, it's still almost entirely optional. You can now buy "cheaper" versions of the regularly available Knight Armor recipes that you can't customize the color of, and color packs for those of us that want to be a special snowflake but don't want to wait to get the necessary guild rank to craft the colors, both 99 cents a pop. The only dick move is the best knight armors currently available in the game are DLC only at GR27 and look like the unique knights from SP, but they're still only 99 cents each.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eggn0g posted:

Would you reccomend WKCII to someone who enjoys games like Xenoblade and Final Fantasy 12? I don't really care much about the storyline, I'm more interested in that style of gameplay more than anything.

e: havn't played WKC1, but WKC2 comes with it anyway so i guess it doesnt matter

I recommend it, even though plenty of people here won't give it a fair shake after WKC1. The multiplayer component is quite fun. Be aware that it's one of those games that requires you to purchase an online pass if you don't buy the game new. Just a protip though: Even though your Avatar can learn any skill, the best trees in the game are Axe, Bow, and Staff+Magic. Everything else just falls behind once you get to the real high-end quests, so pick one and stick with it until you Rebirth. Then you could switch or double specialize in Axe and Bow.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

WKC2 improves the first one so much I actually regret playing WKC1 when it first came out. Combat is faster and abilities seems better (especially magic). I gamefly'ed it so I guess I'll have to buy an online pass or something because that's where the fun is. It is definitely a Level 5 game though so your mileage may vary - I find people either love or hate their stuff. I'm in the 'love' category.

Yay! I need goons to play with so badly. Pubbies can get the job done, but goddamn they are hard to work with sometimes.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Going back to WKC2, holy poo poo was that first boss a huge cockblock. I played all of WKC before the tuning and never had an issue but holy poo poo I game-overed to that first boss like 10 times before finally breaking down and watching Youtube strats. They really expect you to know how to command your party and use positioning to be successful.

Still really enjoying it though.

They only get worse. There are some ridiculously cheap boss fights in the game, especially the ones where you're forced to use Knights and instantly lose if any of them get killed. The final boss is a tremendously infuriating fight unless you get the Avatar's knight (you need at least level 55 to unlock the bounty), and possibly even a few extra levels online.[EDIT: I almost forgot, but once you get the Knight you can get a set of armor for it by going through various rifts that open. It's well worth the effort] But, the worst boss fight in the game is easily being forced to fight two Wyverns in the Van Haven Waste without any character that can transform. Have fun with that bullshit. Bring lots of potions.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 20, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Ok, question since I don't remember the first game. Can I do bounties with my NPC party or are they done all online? I gameflyed it and I'm considering buying the online pass because I sure did love online in the first game. Also I want the Avatar Knight.

Bounties are all part of single player. You can pick them up from the Adventurer's Guild NPCs that sell you quests. More become available as you progress through the game and complete the other bounties.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

The problem with that (so far) is that allies refuse to buff regardless of their tactic. They only debuff if the debuff is a part of a damaging attack like Arm Breaker or something. Also, bosses seem to have ENORMOUS AoE attacks that hit anyone within half a mile and late in a fight (after enrage) can one shot those NPCs you can't equip or command. I had to use a strat against the first boss wherein I dispersed everyone so all they did was heal and I was the lone damage dealer. This was after about 10 tries of exactly what you described.

I like the game but drat. Boss fights immediately punish one mistake with Game Over every time.

You can force your NPCs to support you by holding down R1 (or maybe it's L1, I forget.) and selecting the NPC with O or Square. I don't know if their chosen tactic effects their support choices, but I used Yulie as my main healer and ordering her to support would always make her Haste > Fortify > Mana Barrier as long as no one needed to be healed. Plus she would use Spirit Blessing when my MP was low, which was nice.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Oh ok, that's really helpful actually. I just thought that made them heal. What tree gives haste anyway? I have most of the divine tree but I haven't seen it yet.

It's Divine, it's just really far along it. You have to unlock Heal IV for it to appear.

http://whiteknightchronicles.neoseeker.com/wiki/Divine_Magic_%28WKC2_Skills%29

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

Awesome, thank you. I feel like I made a mistake with the way I specced my Avatar (Sword tree all the way to Twin blades) so I switched to Axe. I thought about respeccing when I get the airship back but I don't want to lose the stat boosts from Sword so I think I'll just ride it out.

You can't respec for free after level 35, the level you start WKC2 at, but I have good news for you: With the skill points you get at 80 without any rebirths, you could pick up all the necessary skills in Axe, Bow, most of Divine, PLUS all the passive skills in Longsword, Sword, and Spear. It's quite nice. I wouldn't worry too much about speccing Sword since any weapon type works fine (if you're not poorly equipped) until you get up to GR26, and even then it's still up for debate.

Anyways, once you hit 80 you can purchase a respec ticket off PSN ($0.99) if your current setup feels lacking but you don't want to Rebirth. Here's a guide that tells you how to unlock the passive stat boosts on every tree with the bare minimum of points. Just remember that you don't need the stat boosts from Elemental and Staff as a physical attacker, or Axe/Longsword/Sword as a mage, and you should pick up the ones in Divine just from getting your healing and buff spells no matter what.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Stelas posted:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is middlingly okay if you can cope with really, really dumb cliche games.

Disagree. Aside from the story, all the Golden Sun games are good fun. They've got dungeons with Zelda-esque puzzles that rely on your newly obtained abilities, an interesting gimmick with the Djinn and class customization, awesome battle and summon effects, and a classic FF style world map with hidden areas and sidequests aplenty.

EDIT: Where's my sequel dammit :mad:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Gyoru posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 has dropped to ~$29.99 (New) everywhere for the past couple of weeks:
- Amazon
- Best Buy
- Gamestop

New copies come with a Geonet code, which is required to play online. Used copies can buy a code off PSN for $9.99.

I picked it up 3 days ago to kill time before FF XIII-2 and have been playing non-stop way too much. It comes with WKC1 on the same disc with the revised combat system for the fortunate ones who didn't suffer through the original version. Putting the recycled dungeons aside, the changes to the combat system make it much better than the first game. Most weapon skills use MP now instead of AC, the action bar fills up much, much faster, and you can get to GR 15 or so just from doing quests in the offline story mode. (List of changes)

'Sup fellow WKC2 player. You can find me online as Spazmaster, or friend request SPZX on PSN.

iastudent posted:

I haven't followed WKC all that much in general, but how integral is the online portion of it, and how active is the community if it is so?

You can take your character online and get XP, items, whatever, then immediately drop back into SP and continue as you were and vice versa. Multiplayer is the real meat of the game you mostly delve into after single-player. The community is fairly active, with thousands of regular players and more showing up and returning due to new content that's been recently introduced.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

And if you can stomach the single player your Avatar can get an Incorruptus which is badass.

Best part of that is the transformation sequence changing depending on what type of weapon you have equipped. But I love stock footage, so maybe that's just me.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Miijhal posted:

I just wish there was some snazzy dialogue during the transformation other than "Verto!" Everyone else gets to talk about how awesome their knight is and I just twirl around for a sec and say the magic word. Although I guess that's kind of fitting for my character.

That's because we get the "mass production" model and not the fancy pants unique ones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Morpheus posted:

Edit: On that note, I'm a little weary of games where a Game Over means lost time. I think more titles should have a penalty to the characters, but not a penalty to the players. Lost money, halved experience, whatever, just not "Hey remember that hour and a half you spent getting this far? You just wasted all of your time."

This is one thing I really liked about Dragon Quest.

I liked the way FF6 did it. You would have to go back to wherever you last saved, but all your levels and items went back with you

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Levantine posted:

As much as I enjoy WKC, this is a good idea. The quality of the game isn't super high so if you play it in lieu of something else you're looking forward to, you'll probably spend half your time playing wondering why you're not playing the other game. It's a fun diversion when you have nothing else going on and it's probably only going to get cheaper.

True, I'm on extended break from the game right now because of XIII-2 and some more games coming out in the next couple weeks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I wanted to like The Last Remnant so badly but the inability to actually choose what character does what got me completely stuck at one boss fight in the 360 version and I had to quit. :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rascyc posted:

Maybe not kawaii relief but still stupid young character alert:

Also most useful character in the game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nate RFB posted:

It's too bad she's useless in battle, except for her Gear which is overpowered with an Ether Doubler.

She's not really useless, it's just that there's so many better choices.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone know why nearly every japanese rpg have you playing teenagers when almost no western rpgs have you play as children or teenagers? Are the demographics really different (I know in America I've seen stories that suggest there are more adult than under 18 gamers but I dunno about Japan) or is it just taste?

Nearly everyone that's over 30 in a jrpg is a total badass, so they gotta balance it out with a bunch of whiny teenagers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I downloaded Breath of Fire 4 off PSN a few days ago and I've been playing mostly blind. Any tips or tricks? For the record, I'm just past getting the sandflier and have gotten four of the dragon evocations, and only 1 dragon crystal on Ryu and Fou-Lu

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I got The Last Remnant on PC (finally) the other day since I scored a deal that made it only cost about $1.50. What are the new things added/changed, and what should I keep in mind as I go?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Gonna tell you nooooo unless you want probably the worst plot in that series by far, more endless cutscenes, and... really, go replay one of the first ones and see how it holds up to you. If you wanna do that all over again, but turbocharged? Dive in.

For 11 bucks you're getting 25+ hours of fun gameplay and a lovely story, so I say go for it. Really though, don't get attached to the story even if you actually like it. The ending is nothing but sequel bait and who knows when a new one is going to come out.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Honest Thief posted:

I stopped playing RoF near the end but I still put over 80 hours, just give me a sequel TriACe, actually, just give me a new game TriAce.

At least you made it that far. I thought the game was almost criminally boring.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

RoF was seriously some of the most fun I've had with an RPG in ages. Criminally boring is completely bewildering to me, especially on the higher difficulty modes.

All of the gameplay is basically shoot guy while running, backtrack a million times because you don't have the right pieces to get any farther on the world map (dumbest poo poo ever) or the enemy power curve suddenly turned into a vertical line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

HollowClown posted:

Here's some other (reasonably) good JRPGs for the PS3:

White Knight Chronicles -- Has a bunch of online play, and involves giant medieval robots.

Make sure you get WKC2 though, if you do. It contains the entire first game + all the gameplay upgrades from the second. I don't know how active the online community is anymore, but I still recommend it.

EDIT: And Tales of Graces F is really, really fun to play with a friend even though they can only participate in combat. I played 2P with my best friend on his first playthroughs of both Vesperia and Graces F and it was a blast just because it gave me an excuse to use someone besides the hero.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 20, 2013