Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Finally got the /system/ security off my desire using that lovely AlphaRev thing which brands your phone with lovely photoshops of the joker.

What can I do now with my phone which I couldn't before on an ordinary root? I've already removed the lovely joker photoshops with my face, I've installed metamorph, but I haven't been able to find any decent metamorphs, and I've installed clockworkmod as my recovery image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Solly posted:

Is it at all possible to use A2SD without installing a custom rom, I have searched and searched the xda forums and most of it is going way over my head, but I cant find a simple answer or guide anywhere, please forgive me if I am being an idiot.

Just get DarkTremor's A2SD. It's the best one you can get at the mo, and if you boot without your SD card in it doesn't completely gently caress up.

Also I tried out Leedroid a while ago. The battery is terrible and it actually died on me while I got stuck in London because my trains made me miss my connections and I had to wander around until 3 in the loving morning with my giant gently caress off suitcase with several London rips and holes in it full of milk and other groceries until I got to a Hotel which charged me eighty loving quid for one night oh god gently caress Leedroid so loving hard asiasfhha aAHDF ADFHDSSDSUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

But yeah, terrible battery life. And your phone could die at a very inopportune moment and people could seem to think your a terrorist and not let you charge up your phone.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Solly posted:

When I try and do anything in clockwork recovery I get signature verification failed, searching on goolge has led me to believe that this means Im using the stock recovery, but it does indeed say clockwork recovery at the top and as far as I can tell it installed itself ok. If anyone knows how I can get around this I would be grateful because I can see it becoming a problem rather soon when it wont let me restore something because of verification.

There should be some text or something somewhere which says, "toggle signature verification" or something like that. Just press that.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I lost my HTC Desire a while ago, but I kept it backed up most of the time with clockwork mod. Soon I should be getting a Droid 2 Global. Is there anyway I can move most of my settings and apps and stuff onto the Droid 2? I'm thinking I could probably extract the stuff from the image files and do it all manually.

Also what is the best rom for Droid 2 Global? I don't think there's any Gingerbread stuff yet. Anyway I can set it to record 720p video?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm on Virtuous Affinity for my Desire Z and I have the strangest problem. Going through the notification bar to change my USB connection type doesn't work, sometimes it flashes to the thing I chose but then it just changes right back to the default one. The only way to change it is to change my default USB connection, clicking on "Ask Me Everytime" thing just disable USB all together.

On top of this, sometimes when I turn my computer off with Internet Pass Through enabled, the usb icon goes away but Internet Pass Through stays, I can't disable it and I can't access my normal plan data. It's definitely not the USB cable, I've tried several already.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Is there anyway I can set it up so that when I hold down the power button on my S3, when it's locked, for the torch to activate? It's the one feature I miss from my Xperia Arc.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

Not power button, but MIUI supports this via holding down the home button

Anyway to port that to another ROM/CM10? I tend to find MIUI to be a tad completely terrible.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

How do I root the Note 4? Thanks in advance.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Blitter posted:

A poster contemplated it here.

You will want to sort out what your hardware model is (it is not just Note 4) as a starting point.

Edit: Assuming that you're just not trolling in the indignant and vacuous vein of 30.5 Days, I should add that after a very short bit of reading on XDA, it looks like a pretty lovely idea depending on what version you're currently on - you may need to downgrade before rooting which may not be possible, and all sorts of other foolery (like dealing with knox, invalidating warranty, etc etc), because you've been Samsung'd.

I live in the land of the free (Europe), so Samsung is legally required to offer me a warranty even when rooting my phone.
https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

I sorta was half trolling, because I don't have a Note 4 yet, but I'm about to get one, and I can't have an android without root, I need my hold back to kill button, titanium backup and all that. Seems pretty easy though, just flash poo poo with odin and Bob's your uncle.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Blitter posted:

Well, you should bear in mind that as far as I can tell, there is no rollback for the firmware on the latest devices and no root either. Have fun with your Samsung!

Well apparently there is and it looks like all I have to do is flash a thing by that chainfire dude. Samsung is bad at phones, with cheap, easily breakable parts, and no support beyond 2 years, but also good at a bunch of poo poo that I want, it's the loving Wacom pen that's got me. No other recent phones really have anything that compares, and I'm not fannying around with some lovely bluetooth laggy piece of poo poo pen that takes AA batteries.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I actually have a Note 4 (my post was the one linked to). After all the problems I had with my rooted SIII, I decided to try living with it unrooted for a month first. I still haven't rooted, and haven't found a compelling reason to. The Note 4's flavor of touchwiz just isn't bad enough to warrant the headache of rooting.

If you want to make touchwiz a little more livable, my advice is:
*Disable the stock Samsung apps that have Google equivalents and then download the Google ones (so Google Now, Calendar, etc).
*Install a new launcher. I use Action Launcher 2, but whichever one tickles your fancy is fine.
*Live with the fact that the System Settings menu is kind ugly.

This is not a shitpost. I genuinely decided after a couple months that it wasn't worth the pain, and I have rooted every phone I've owned since Froyo was a thing.

Is there any features we'd lose by rooting? Is anything different once it's done? Like does the knox counter inform some security stuff on the phone OS or anything? I don't mind a bit of bother, since I like tasker and tweaking stuff in general, it'd probably drive me a bit insane to not have a rooted phone. I don't want to switch to Cyanogenmod this time though, I want to stick with the Samsung OS so that the fingerprint scanner and pen and all that work perfectly, I might just wait until Samsung stop updating their OS to see if anyone's cracked all the drivers.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Cool.

Well then Note 4 guy, I guess if you're comfortable flashing all your updates from images posted on XDA, there's no reason not to root :). For me that's still more hassle than it's worth, but if you're going to do more than block ads then maybe it balances out differently for you.

Wicked. I tend to use Tasker to do things like disabling pattern lock at home , Titanium Backup because I don't want to spend three years reinstalling all my poo poo, holding back to kill is invaluable to me, holding home button to turn on the flashlight is mega-useful, speeding up useless window animations and transitions. Plus, I just like to be fully in control of my phone, or at least as much as I can be, even simple stuff like opening the text file that contains all my saved WiFi passwords and stuff, as well as completely removing bloat. Sometimes ridiculous stuff is locked down, like my parent's LG tablet has user functionality, but it's disabled without root, for no real reason.

noirstronaut posted:

Why not root and then flash a custom ROM like CM?

AOSP roms never fully work and utilize the hardware available, usually because Samsung has secret propriety drivers and poo poo. I don't know if HDMI out works on the latest CM, but stuff is always buggy forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm pretty sure this was different back on my old phone with CM, but now on my Note 4 when I disable orientation, it always locks to portrait, when I actually want to lock it at the current orientation. I know you can sometimes turn your phone upside down, but sometimes with chargers and headphones, it doesn't really work.

Is there a mod or xposed addon or something to fix orientation locking? It makes reading stuff in bed really annoying.