Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RVProfootballer posted:

With Lollipop on the G2 making it very similar to the G3's interface, I'd say just go with stock finally.

Wait you're saying the software the G2 shipped with was even worse than what's on the G3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't doubt it was bad, but as far as I can tell my G3 shares almost all of those issues too (the only exceptions being the correct soft key layout is now available, and double tap to wake is reliable)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It should look something like this:

Just tap 'Uninstall updates'

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Theres no law requiring to limit cars to 155 mph in Germany. The manufacturers put in the limiter voluntarily to keep people from killing themselves even more.

Pretty sure there is a law that the tyres you fit to a car must have a speed rating matching or exceeding the top speed of the vehicle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You're making it sound like 512 GB are cheap and readily available.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Thread title aside CM is such a massively better experience than the stock LG software on the G3 that it isn't even funny. Much better performance, almost double the battery life and a UI that doesn't suck

Camera performance is a lot worse but really it's a small price to pay for an actual usable phone

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Jan posted:

Uh, in the exact same way that elevated permission prompts have been working since Windows Vista, OS X, Linux and any civilized desktop OS? :confused:

Yeah 'cos that worked out so well there

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Except for, you know, on a Chromebook you literally can flip a switch and have full developer access and even install your own OS.

Exactly like on a Nexus device

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

For most people it has.

That isn't true though, in fact it's a big part of why a huge number of people who used to use Windows PCs just use their iPhone/Pad now

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

If google made a dev option to enable root access with UAC then this wouldn't even be a thread.

I don't see how - the majority of the discussion in this thread has always been about non-Nexus devices anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I dunno about that one, I use my phone a lot because it's always in my pocket and super convenient, not because it has some different security model than my desktop computer

The fact that you're even posting in this thread means you are not a typical tech user

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I feel like we've gotten pretty far from any kind of point about anything, but if you're saying people use their phones and iPads because they don't have root/administrator access, or something like that, then that's a weird stance to take imo. Of all the differences between a smartphone and a desktop computer, you think that is the determining factor in why someone uses their phone more than a desktop?

That they're generally more consistent and more stable than a crammed-full-o-malware PC is a big part of it, and the more locked down nature of those devices is a big part of that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why do you keep going on about something only a small minority of computers actually have to worry about? For all that people like to joke, most people manage to not get anything worse then the ask.com search bar, which ain't exactly a CPU hog or stability issue.

I don't know about that - all I can give is anecdotes but it does appear to me that a lot more people have a lot more severe problems than you think

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You'll have to dig into XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note

Probably start in the general forum

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Easier to switch to a plan that allows tethering than mucking about with root just for that

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's still a lot easier to switch plans. No doubt they'll cut you off eventually anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Forget about the Facebook app and just use the browser?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What 'modern device's are you comparing it to? While my N7 still works it's painfully slow compared to my Nexus 6P and the Pixel is supposed to be much faster again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KingReploid posted:

My 6P bricked and my carrier is sending me an LG V20 as a replacement cause the 6P is "on backorder"

Ha seriously? Don't let them stick you with an LG phone

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

#1 doesn't exist
#2 is only viable for popular and (usually) relatively high end phones - as you've seen the only things available through ROM manager are generic add-ons, nothing specific to your device

Really your only option is to dig through XDA

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Also a lot of the 'bloatware' can be dealt with simply by hiding it in the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Read the thread title. Seriously it isn't worth mucking about with, just hide the apps you don't want to use.